The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 August 2018, 09:38 AM   #1
Jsimon
"TRF" Member

How long does your lume last?

I have a 2018 Sub and although I don’t use the Lume that much, I was wondering how long people have found it lasts? And also how long does it need to be exposed on average to get a good stint?

Jsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2018, 09:49 AM   #2
Kostas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: @ kostastimepieces
All night long , depending on my eyes adjusting to the darkness.

Same with the seiko skx
Kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2018, 11:00 AM   #3
THC

Watch: 16610M
Lionel Ritchie ... All Night Long
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2018, 11:03 AM   #4
WJGESQ
Banned

Not as good as Omeg. Not even close.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2018, 05:52 PM   #5
Jsimon
"TRF" Member

I think mine has gone by morning
Old 9 August 2018, 09:27 PM   #6
Xxmikeyb
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
All night
Old 11 August 2018, 11:32 AM   #7
jnkay
"TRF" Member

Watch: du jour
All night with Chromalite; less with older lune. Just an instant of bright light from a strong LED flashlight will “charge” the lume fully. It’s about the intensity of the light source not the length of exposure.
jnkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 12:10 PM   #8
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 12:11 PM   #9
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THC View Post
Beat me to it.
Old 11 August 2018, 01:38 PM   #10
fishingbear
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMTsSubLVEx2SDDayt
2-4 hours depending on what reference.
fishingbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 04:10 PM   #11
DubaiRolex2000
"TRF" Member

How long does Oyster Perpetual’s lume last? Mine doesn’t seem to last more than a few minutes :(
DubaiRolex2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 04:19 PM   #12
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Depends too much on the ambient light conditions to be objective - pitch black will 'last' much longer than semi darkness.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 04:29 PM   #13
Flier
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
Have not checked the deep sea yet but the SubC a few minutes
Pretty pathetic if you ask me
Btw here is an interesting article on lumes
http://www.kronometric.org/article/lume/
Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 04:54 PM   #14
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
It lasted about 10 of the 33 years I've owned my 16800. Somehow trending fashion has created the desire for the "patina" cream color of my aging watch. Personally, I'd rather have a dial that lets me know what time it is when it's dark. I've been told that replacing the dial and hands with new ones would be around $1K and would "ruin" the "vintage" value of my watch. Ironically, my 1982 Casio "Marlin" still lights up with the push of a button, and functions 100% in every way. It cost about $30.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 04:57 PM   #15
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by THC View Post
This is my experience. I wake up to use the bathroom and glance over at it around five or six o'clock sometimes...still going.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 05:52 PM   #16
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
Do modern sports models really last "all night long"? Is this from getting a decent amount of natural light exposure during the day?

My BLNR (less than 6 months old and purchased new from AD) fades pretty quick shortly after I get home. I spend almost the whole day in the office and the watch doesn't get much direct sunlight at all. Any time I've looked at it in the middle of night it's as if there is no lume "charge" at all. I feel like the same is generally true with my SubC (less than two years old).

Is there a good "lume" test to make sure the watch is fine? Alternatively, are my watches just trying to tell me I need to get more natural light during the day?
Carry The Interest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 06:58 PM   #17
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsimon View Post
I have a 2018 Sub and although I don’t use the Lume that much, I was wondering how long people have found it lasts? And also how long does it need to be exposed on average to get a good stint?
Have never checked whats far more important for me at the moment, is when I wake up and my watch is still running, and I can see its running I am still alive.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 07:39 PM   #18
Switzerland
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
This
Switzerland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 08:40 PM   #19
lenfried29
Banned

Watch: tick-tock
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Have never checked whats far more important for me at the moment, is when I wake up and my watch is still running, and I can see its running I am still alive.
I disagree. Rolex watches are not cheap. If Rolex advertising this: "Highly legible Chromalight display with long-lasting blue luminescence" then I expect at least it would be longer them my 22 year old Tag quartz watch. But unfortunately it is not the case.
lenfried29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 09:06 PM   #20
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenfried29 View Post
I disagree. Rolex watches are not cheap. If Rolex advertising this: "Highly legible Chromalight display with long-lasting blue luminescence" then I expect at least it would be longer them my 22 year old Tag quartz watch. But unfortunately it is not the case.
What do you disagree with, the fact I have never checked my lume, or me thinking it's more important I am still alive to read the time on my watch when I wake up in the morning.??????

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 09:28 PM   #21
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
It lasts longer than my attention span or need for it.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 11:26 PM   #22
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
It is a feature of $7+K watches that is not very impressive. Marketing the Rolex as an heirloom piece, .....oh, by the way, the lume either dies or sucks to begin with. Thanks for getting me aggravated all over again.

Generally speaking, the Rolex lume is almost as good as my $29 Invicta Pro-Diver 40mm NH35A
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 11:29 PM   #23
Nandor
"TRF" Member

On my Exp1 it lasts about 1-3hrs and then it is useless.
Nandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 05:57 AM   #24
Kjus21
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carry The Interest View Post
Do modern sports models really last "all night long"? Is this from getting a decent amount of natural light exposure during the day?

My BLNR (less than 6 months old and purchased new from AD) fades pretty quick shortly after I get home. I spend almost the whole day in the office and the watch doesn't get much direct sunlight at all. Any time I've looked at it in the middle of night it's as if there is no lume "charge" at all. I feel like the same is generally true with my SubC (less than two years old).

Is there a good "lume" test to make sure the watch is fine? Alternatively, are my watches just trying to tell me I need to get more natural light during the day?
I bought my BLNR last month from an AD. Noticing the same issues on the Lume. Coming right inside from outside, its lit pretty well. However, as the minutes/hours go by, it definitely dims out. By a couple hours in, it is barely noticeable unless in a completely dark room. I love everything about this watch, but this is the one thing that frustrates me.
Kjus21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 08:26 AM   #25
smym18
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjus21 View Post
I bought my BLNR last month from an AD. Noticing the same issues on the Lume. Coming right inside from outside, its lit pretty well. However, as the minutes/hours go by, it definitely dims out. By a couple hours in, it is barely noticeable unless in a completely dark room. I love everything about this watch, but this is the one thing that frustrates me.
This is how I feel. It seems like mine doesn't last nearly as long as others report on here.
smym18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 08:28 AM   #26
Jsimon
"TRF" Member

Went to an AD and they said they will get it tested under warranty (takes 4 weeks) or I can pop into the factory (as I’m relatively local) and they can check it within the day. I’ll do the latter when I get a chance.
Old 14 September 2018, 08:33 AM   #27
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Lume threads always interest me. Rolex lume is adequate. I have another watch that has really strong lume that you can practically see absorb light and turn green in the sun to be treated to a light show when returning indoors - Yet try to sleep with the thing and the same watch is completely illegible if I wake up a few hours into the night. Even after 'charging'.
I have watches that have really poor lume even when 'charged' yet are clearly legible all night. Even without prior exposure to a lamp. I have no idea how that is possible but I can say Rolex superluminova examples I have tried are somewhere in between.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 08:57 AM   #28
thegents
Banned

it last long enough though.
thegents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 09:07 AM   #29
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Surprised to hear all the "all night long" posts. Been wearing Rolex for 30 years and lume is not one of their strengths. Not that I really care, but I drive a convertible and even after a long drive in the sun, the lume on any of my modern Subs only last a couple hours or so after no more light exposure. It was really evident when we went to the movies a couple months ago. Hot sunny day, 1 hour top down drive before the movie and the lume did not last for the whole movie.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 09:14 AM   #30
Green Arrow
"TRF" Member

Lume is important to me

If you charge a new Submariner with a high intensity flashlight for a minute, and if your eyes are in low enough ambient light to adjust to "night vision", the Chromalight will last 7 hours, but the sweep second hand will be difficult to see. If I am somewhere it makes sense to have 2 watches. (Like home, not on an airplane somewhere) I switch to an Isobrite T100 tritium tubed watch. Not as bright initially as a freshly charged Chromalight, but within 6 minutes brighter, with zero fade at any point in the first 25 years. Mine is an ISO 503 and T100 is brighter than T25 (a debate among lume nut cases like me).

If lume is important enough to you many brands are better than Rolex. One excellent high end watch is a SEIKO Spring Drive Diver. But even inexpensive Seikos are better than Rolex in this area. Also Omega 9300 Planet Ocean, GP Seahawk, some Never DRk Reactors, and some Tritium capsules Ball Watches.

I have owned them all. Current configuration is the 116613 LB Bluesy for a do it all, go anywhere, do anything watch with acceptable lume, and the Isobrite when lume is the most important issue of the moment.
Green Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote