The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Breitling Discussion Forum

Old 7 February 2010, 04:49 AM   #1
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Watch: I like to...
Icon5 Breitling-isti (LOL), need your opinion

Mind if I pick your brains?

What do you fellas think of the ChronoMatic 49? Personal opinion - nice big watch, functional, nice hands, beautiful dials... But the general response to this model was less than adequate... Why do you think that is?

“A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.” - Hunter S. Thompson
Mosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2010, 04:54 AM   #2
ParisDakarBmw
Banned

Watch: 116610 Sub-C
I think the price of a throwback look compaired to everything else that is a new style, is probably holding it back. You can lock onto a great vintage for the price. It has to compete with everything lese, and there are so many newr watches that look "mo better"
ParisDakarBmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2010, 05:30 AM   #3
valentine
Banned

Watch: TT Diamond DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDakarBmw View Post
I think the price of a throwback look compaired to everything else that is a new style, is probably holding it back. You can lock onto a great vintage for the price. It has to compete with everything lese, and there are so many newr watches that look "mo better"
mo better...yeah. what he said BOTH of my homies in one post!
valentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2010, 05:31 AM   #4
valentine
Banned

honestly...i cannot stand the bezel or the mesh bracelet.
Old 7 February 2010, 05:47 AM   #5
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Mo' better... LOL... you ma boy, paul!

Justin, don't like the shape of the bezel, or the fact that it is rubber?

As far as bracelet - I do prefer the rubber strap on this model. Although, i used to own a 46mm Superocean Heritage on the mesh bracelet - and loved it. Very comfortable!

“A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.” - Hunter S. Thompson
Old 7 February 2010, 08:16 AM   #6
valentine
Banned

the fact that it is rubber..i think the "ANGLED" bracelets are what makes the breitling appealing..
Old 8 February 2010, 03:31 AM   #7
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by valentine View Post
the fact that it is rubber..i think the "ANGLED" bracelets are what makes the breitling appealing..
Actually, the 'mesh' on these is very solid and also runs at an angle. I had reservations about it before I saw it, but looks good in person, IMO.

Old 8 February 2010, 11:13 AM   #8
valentine
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosco View Post
Actually, the 'mesh' on these is very solid and also runs at an angle. I had reservations about it before I saw it, but looks good in person, IMO.
ill have to scope it in person. i trust your judgement considering your taste in watches...that mess is pretty sweet..but the gap between the case and bracelet maybe?? something is off but then again...its NOT on my wrist..so perhaps the gap is less noticeable.
Old 16 February 2010, 09:04 AM   #9
kelly56
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610 1675 Speedy
Greg,

I guess the ChronoMatic 49 is a nice watch, but if I were to consider a Breitling it would have to be the Navitimer on a SS bracelet.
Old 16 February 2010, 01:39 PM   #10
bewithabob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona Meteorite
I think people who seek 49mm size want a more showy wrist presence and the rubber mallet wrapped around the dial is a dreary and boring design element against the complexity of the Breitling dial; the rubber or steel strap options are also a downer too, which is why these are require huge discount to move. Dead stock is the bane of retail, and these are like coal in a Christmas stocking- taking up badly needed retail space and capital that can be used to do other things.

116509 Daytona Meteorite, 116520 Daytona Black, 116710 GMTIIC, 16013 DATEJUST,
CARTIER SANTOS 100 W20090X8, IWC Big Pilot, IWC Top Gun

"Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it's not the end."
bewithabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2010, 01:11 AM   #11
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly56 View Post
Greg,

I guess the ChronoMatic 49 is a nice watch, but if I were to consider a Breitling it would have to be the Navitimer on a SS bracelet.
Technically, it is a Navitimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewithabob View Post
I think people who seek 49mm size want a more showy wrist presence and the rubber mallet wrapped around the dial is a dreary and boring design element against the complexity of the Breitling dial; the rubber or steel strap options are also a downer too, which is why these are require huge discount to move. Dead stock is the bane of retail, and these are like coal in a Christmas stocking- taking up badly needed retail space and capital that can be used to do other things.
Yikes... Tell me how you really feel

Sadly - that has been the case with most Breitlings as of lately... Seems like they started making 'too many'. There almost is no model older than 1 year old (meaning, none that have debuted in the last year) that cannot be attained at a significant discount, excluding the B01 and SuperOcean Heritage, maybe. The ChronoMatic in person is a stunner, I just think that the pics make it seem a bit plastic. I, for one, plan on keeping one of them, as it really DOES look good in person. Either the bronze or the white dial - both are very cool looking. So is the black, but my DeepSea has that covered.

Old 18 February 2010, 02:21 AM   #12
2th Dr
Banned

Watch: Rolex
I don't like the bezel either. It just looks "cheap" IMHO. I've never been a fan of mesh bracelets either.
2th Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2010, 04:12 AM   #13
bewithabob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona Meteorite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosco View Post
Technically, it is a Navitimer

Yikes... Tell me how you really feel

Sadly - that has been the case with most Breitlings as of lately... Seems like they started making 'too many'. There almost is no model older than 1 year old (meaning, none that have debuted in the last year) that cannot be attained at a significant discount, excluding the B01 and SuperOcean Heritage, maybe. The ChronoMatic in person is a stunner, I just think that the pics make it seem a bit plastic. I, for one, plan on keeping one of them, as it really DOES look good in person. Either the bronze or the white dial - both are very cool looking. So is the black, but my DeepSea has that covered.
Sorry. Over the last few weeks, I have been trying on various timepieces at ADs and I did try this one on. Comparing it to the Bentley complications, Super Avenger Black Steel, Big Pilot, and IWC Top Gun, this one just missed the mark. The rubber bezel didnt have a quality feel as the others and just gave me a huge turn off, IMHO. After the ceramic of the Top Gun, and the Black Steel Super Avenger, the 49 seemed to be missing something, and what finally finished it for me was that the rubber bezel doesnt move as freely under the cuff as steel....

116509 Daytona Meteorite, 116520 Daytona Black, 116710 GMTIIC, 16013 DATEJUST,
CARTIER SANTOS 100 W20090X8, IWC Big Pilot, IWC Top Gun

"Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it's not the end."
bewithabob is offline   Reply With Quote