The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 27 February 2010, 12:28 AM   #1
neillfrith
"TRF" Member

Just something to look out for

A aquaintance of mine has recently been scammed over in the Far East. Not by the full value of a new rolex, luckily, but still enough to be very upset about. He showed me his new watch on Monday and it didn't look right. We took the back off and to an untrained eye (like mine) it seemed OK but I still wasn't convinced so we took it to a watchmaker in Manchester and he confirmed it to be counterfeit.

The chinese replicas are now even making their movements look like Rolex movements not just the exteriors of the watch.

Unfortunatley Jakey has smashed the damn thing in anger but we have done some research and found a website with some photos... I'm now asking the question, should I post the pics of the movement even though they are from a replica sales site (I'll blur out their url if I can)? I'm not sure if I'm allowed to , thought it'd be OK for the "watch out" section because they'd be there to prevent people getting done over but thought I'd better check first.

If it turns out OK I'll get the pics when I'm home from work. Not going on that sort of site whilst in the office!
neillfrith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2010, 12:34 AM   #2
idk01
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ16233TT
Quote:
Originally Posted by neillfrith View Post
A aquaintance of mine has recently been scammed over in the Far East. Not by the full value of a new rolex, luckily, but still enough to be very upset about. He showed me his new watch on Monday and it didn't look right. We took the back off and to an untrained eye (like mine) it seemed OK but I still wasn't convinced so we took it to a watchmaker in Manchester and he confirmed it to be counterfeit.

The chinese replicas are now even making their movements look like Rolex movements not just the exteriors of the watch.

Unfortunatley Jakey has smashed the damn thing in anger but we have done some research and found a website with some photos... I'm now asking the question, should I post the pics of the movement even though they are from a replica sales site (I'll blur out their url if I can)? I'm not sure if I'm allowed to , thought it'd be OK for the "watch out" section because they'd be there to prevent people getting done over but thought I'd better check first.

If it turns out OK I'll get the pics when I'm home from work. Not going on that sort of site whilst in the office!
Hi Neill,

Post away my friend, I'm sorry to hear your friend got stung, happening way to often these days.

idk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2010, 12:41 AM   #3
neillfrith
"TRF" Member

Thanks Dave, I'll post soon, just about to leave.
Old 27 February 2010, 12:50 AM   #4
neillfrith
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neillfrith View Post
Thanks Dave, I'll post soon, just about to leave.
I thought sod it I'll do it from here...it's my damn office

Hope this works as it's the first time I've uploaded a photo

pic.jpg

3135.jpg
Old 27 February 2010, 12:52 AM   #5
neillfrith
"TRF" Member

As you can see their logo was all over the place so I couldn't blur it without ruining the integrity of the photos.

Most of you, especially you Dave, will be able to spot that they aren't genuine in a heartbeat but to your average Joe they may look convincing enough to buy one
Old 27 February 2010, 12:54 AM   #6
idk01
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ16233TT
Huge difference on the 3135, compare it to this one:

idk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2010, 01:00 AM   #7
Safetrends
Banned

Watch: my hand. :)
That is why you buy the seller not the product. You need to know who you are buying from.
Again here on TRF we have several long time members who are regular sellers on TRF and have a following of reall happy buyers.

It is relly interesting how some people could send someone money without checking out the buyer. Part of buying a product is learning about the product. Same with buying a car, a carfax is important to have, so why would someone would not go to a AD and have the watch authenticated before buying it.

My 2 cents.
Safetrends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2010, 01:05 AM   #8
neillfrith
"TRF" Member

oh yeah undoubtedly, when I saw the pictures I got straight on TRF and checked out some genuine pictures but not everyone is as vigilant. Sometimes "Rolex SA" or "Geneve" are enough to convince people!

There are plenty more examples on that site, I just picked the first 2 I could find but some of the others show the red cogs, more writing etc. Check them out so that you can keep up your dilligent and hard work. Some of your catches are very impressive.
Old 27 February 2010, 01:10 AM   #9
neillfrith
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safetrends View Post
That is why you buy the seller not the product. You need to know who you are buying from.
Again here on TRF we have several long time members who are regular sellers on TRF and have a following of reall happy buyers.

It is relly interesting how some people could send someone money without checking out the buyer. Part of buying a product is learning about the product. Same with buying a car, a carfax is important to have, so why would someone would not go to a AD and have the watch authenticated before buying it.

My 2 cents.
agree entirely, lets just say Jakey was not of a sober mindset

He got very caught up in a story which was fed to him and needless to say he feels very stupid, angry, and skint now. He won't be doing it again, AD all the way or at least someone with a proven track record. i know for a fact I'll try and use someone with a proven track record from TRF next time I intend to buy, that is if they'll sell to someone outside of the USA.
Old 27 February 2010, 01:13 AM   #10
ParisDakarBmw
Banned

Watch: 116610 Sub-C
Sorry your friend got ripped off. Worse fealing in the world!
ParisDakarBmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2010, 05:37 AM   #11
Earl Camembert
Banned

That fake movement is not even the best they make. It takes one that knows what to look for and it is coming to the point one needs the real thing next to it to really see the difference.

An AD sales person is no longer qualified to say if a Rolex is real or not; they sell watches not make them.
Earl Camembert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2010, 06:41 AM   #12
goduke1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 72' Rolex Air King
Wow, it looks like someone took a file to the sides of the movement and filed in grooves so they could fit the brackets to hold the movement in..

But I would agree, to the average Joe, they wouldn't be able to see any issues. Heck, a year or so ago, I was that average Joe! ( I have learned so much here at TRF)
Old 27 February 2010, 07:15 AM   #13
hanybad
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116523,116710,5513
I went and checked the website all there replicas look like s**t.
hanybad is offline   Reply With Quote