The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 28 May 2008, 11:54 AM   #1
lennyzx11
"TRF" Member

Can you guys check this for me ?

Hi. I've been following watchuseek (wishfull) for a while and just found your forum. Can you look at this ebay item and see what you think ?
Thank you,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tab%3DWatching

I'm looking for a Preowned Rolex with a blue dial & Roman numerals with a SS and yellow gold band if anyone has one to sell or knows of one. Like a Datejust I believe but I'm still open. The ADs for me within distance for me don't have one so I'm following the internet looking. But after reading the posts here and elsewhere, I'm afraid of getting a good copy.

Thanks again for your time and the effort some of you go to to keep others like myself from getting ripped off.
lennyzx11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2008, 12:44 PM   #2
jbjenkins
"TRF" Member

I'm not sure I qualify to do this, but I'll give it a shot and hopefully someone will fill in or correct my mis-steps.

First do you know this watch was made around 1980? From the auction description it seems like it was pieced together from parts:

A refinished dial
an "aftermarket" bracelet (with maybe a Rolex clasp)
A real Rolex movement (but is it the correct one for this watch?)

Just look at the condition of the hands on this watch. THAT is what the rest of the watch looked like before they rebuilt it. I can't belive they didn't change those hands. shiver...

If it was me I'd hold out for something a little more authentic (meaning that the majority of the parts actually are genuine Rolex.) On the other hand if the reserve isn't much more than the present price showing it might be fun to own, but I'm not sure I'd trust it to keep time until I had a watchmaker look at it.

Good luck!

Sorry don't know off hand where to get what you want, but ebay can be good, just keep looking.
jbjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2008, 12:53 PM   #3
2careless
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
It looks like the bezel is aftermarket and the seller didn't disclose it.
The 12oclock end link - you can see the gold has faded to a dark grey colour, possibly it is only gold plated and not solid, this suggests the bracelet is probably aftermarket.

Next, the hands are rusty, which suggests the movement may have been subjected to moisture too.

Stay away.
2careless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2008, 01:19 PM   #4
Rolex74
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD DJII PAM 005
Stay away!!! It looks bad, just look at those hands, wow can you imagine how bad it was before it was refinished?
Rolex74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2008, 01:24 PM   #5
Rolex74
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD DJII PAM 005
Here is one but it does not have roman numerals, I would just ask for the serial number and verify it being authentic.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ROLEX-DATEJUST-A...QQcmdZViewItem

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennyzx11 View Post
Hi. I've been following watchuseek (wishfull) for a while and just found your forum. Can you look at this ebay item and see what you think ?
Thank you,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#37;3DWatching

I'm looking for a Preowned Rolex with a blue dial & Roman numerals with a SS and yellow gold band if anyone has one to sell or knows of one. Like a Datejust I believe but I'm still open. The ADs for me within distance for me don't have one so I'm following the internet looking. But after reading the posts here and elsewhere, I'm afraid of getting a good copy.

Thanks again for your time and the effort some of you go to to keep others like myself from getting ripped off.
Rolex74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2008, 12:38 AM   #6
Terry Newton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex TT GMT II c
"This watch has a Re-Finished Rolex Sapphire Diamond Dial VS-F Color under an 18K Custom Yellow Gold 1.15cts Diamonds-Sapphire Bead-Set Bezel VS-F Color with a Sapphire Crystal and an 18K Italian Yellow Gold and Stainless Steel Jubilee "Aftermarket". The Movement is a Rolex Automatic Quick-Set and Stamped between the lugs are Model#16013 and serial #658xxxx"

It does disclose the dial and aftermarket bracelet. I agree though that the hands look horrible and it was exposed to moisture.

Terry Newton

"Z" SS Date Submariner
"Z" TT GMT-Master IIc
Terry Newton is offline   Reply With Quote