The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 6 June 2018, 09:24 AM   #1
APatel1984
Banned

Watch: Daytona SS White
Want to purchase a BLNR privately, please help

Hi All

Firstly, hello to everyone. Long time lurker, but now finally signed up as the bug has truly hit and i am starting to purchase pieces after lusting after them for so long.

Anyway, I would like everyone's advice re. a BLNR I am seriously interested in purchasing, link:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-New...UAAOSw8FBbEvVS

The price to be paid wouldn't be anywhere near what is currently up.

To me, everything seems legitimate:

- good buyer feedback
- very good pictures
- receipt and all paperwork
- buyer has provided additional receipt/paperwork to confirm this purchased from a local AD
- collection is from his residence
- has offered to have it authorised at an AD with me if I feel it necessary
- have spoken to him and he seems like a genuine watch enthusiast and is only selling as he bought this used after getting sick of the wait, and then received the 'call' last week

I just wanted some further assurance that all seems to be ok, and if there is anything additional I should be doing, considering, or asking for?

Thank you all in advance!
APatel1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2018, 09:38 AM   #2
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Watch: YMII,GMTII,DAYTONA
All Looks good to me
Seller is in UK.
Ask for a photo. date set to 5th and and time at 20 past 7

Best
adam
Old 6 June 2018, 02:14 PM   #3
J_1964
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
All "Private" Sales Feedback.

Really not a lot of feedback. What there is, All "Private", no details. For all we know. they were all $0.99 sales. I wouldn't trust that.
J_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2018, 02:18 PM   #4
J_1964
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
Not to mention the 46% Mark-Up.
J_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2018, 04:01 PM   #5
eelpie
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15223, 6305/2
The auction stinks . . .

As noted, the feed-back is private, and very possibly for selling cheap items.

The difference in prices between the US and the UK are due to exchange rates. A $9500 watch in the US is usually around 9500 Pounds Sterling in the UK.

The one thing that really sends up a flare is, why would someone buy a NIB Sub in the morning, and then bung it onto eBay on the same day?

Are they trying to turn a credit card purchase, with a stolen credit card, into cash? Is the watch (if there really is one) warm to the touch?

Is someone trying to get a trusting soul to meet a stranger with almost ten grand in hand?

I think this one deserves a chat with eBay . . .

***Reported and removed***
eelpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2018, 04:37 PM   #6
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Listing now removed. If you don't mind paying a premium, I could put you in touch with a genuine bricks and mortar reseller in London.
Old 6 June 2018, 04:53 PM   #7
eelpie
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15223, 6305/2
Quote:
Originally Posted by APatel1984 View Post
- have spoken to him and he seems like a genuine watch enthusiast and is only selling as he bought this used after getting sick of the wait, and then received the 'call' last week
The watch in the auction was described as new, unworn and unwound.

If what you've said is true then he was selling the new one and keeping the used one.

If he was keeping the used one, he would've just let the retailer pass the new one on to the next person on their list instead of buying it and flogging it on eBay.

No, the whole thing stinks . . .
eelpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2018, 10:24 PM   #8
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Want to purchase a BLNR privately, please help

On EBAY?

I do not understand what you are trying to accomplish?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2018, 12:32 AM   #9
APatel1984
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelpie View Post
As noted, the feed-back is private, and very possibly for selling cheap items.

The difference in prices between the US and the UK are due to exchange rates. A $9500 watch in the US is usually around 9500 Pounds Sterling in the UK.

The one thing that really sends up a flare is, why would someone buy a NIB Sub in the morning, and then bung it onto eBay on the same day?

Are they trying to turn a credit card purchase, with a stolen credit card, into cash? Is the watch (if there really is one) warm to the touch?

Is someone trying to get a trusting soul to meet a stranger with almost ten grand in hand?

I think this one deserves a chat with eBay . . .

So as I said, he already has the watched used and had been on a waiting list from the AD for years before receiving the call this week. He's obviously already got the watch so put it on eBay as it is no longer needed and can obviously make a decent profit.

Also, the buyer did not want cash in hand - he preferred a bank transfer or paypal so there is a trail on both sides.
Old 7 June 2018, 12:35 AM   #10
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So as I said, he already has the watched used and had been on a waiting list from the AD for years before receiving the call this week. He's obviously already got the watch so put it on eBay as it is no longer needed and can obviously make a decent profit.

Also, the buyer did not want cash in hand - he preferred a bank transfer or paypal so there is a trail on both sides.
Well we managed to get his item removed without any evidence of fake (which it wasn't) or deception!

Not sure thats "great" work
Adam
Old 7 June 2018, 12:35 AM   #11
APatel1984
Banned

Quote:
The watch in the auction was described as new, unworn and unwound.

If what you've said is true then he was selling the new one and keeping the used one.

If he was keeping the used one, he would've just let the retailer pass the new one on to the next person on their list instead of buying it and flogging it on eBay.

No, the whole thing stinks . . .
To play devil's advocate, why would he just let it pass onto the next person? If you can get a Batman at retail, you're surely going to take it up and either keep it or flip it for a profit. I wouldn't do it personally, but it's a pretty quick way to make a healthy profit and I can see why people do...

Like I said, just providing an alternative opinion...
Old 7 June 2018, 12:40 AM   #12
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
To play devil's advocate, why would he just let it pass onto the next person? If you can get a Batman at retail, you're surely going to take it up and either keep it or flip it for a profit. I wouldn't do it personally, but it's a pretty quick way to make a healthy profit and I can see why people do...

Like I said, just providing an alternative opinion...
Yes, this is 100% reasonable, the other poster is being silly. A lot of people jump at the chance to make an easy $100, even moreso, $1-2k.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2018, 12:40 AM   #13
APatel1984
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
Listing now removed. If you don't mind paying a premium, I could put you in touch with a genuine bricks and mortar reseller in London.
Yes, let me know please. Looking for new.
Old 7 June 2018, 12:45 AM   #14
APatel1984
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
Yes, this is 100% reasonable, the other poster is being silly. A lot of people jump at the chance to make an easy $100, even moreso, $1-2k.
It would be at least £1,500 profit UK. That is a lot of money and there's nothing illegal about doing it.

I am still unsure as to why the listing has been removed or what evidence there was for it to be done.....

As I said, the pictures all look genuine, the buyer was willing to meet at his residence and even go to the official AD purchased from to verify. In addition, he has provided full receipt proof and offered to show me his license/driving license etc. to match against that.

I can understand the reluctance to purchase from eBay, but I feel this may be a case of adding 2+2 and getting to 5.

I have bought from eBay before without issue and have also sold on there, and I class myself as a genuine honest seller.

Like I said, would like to know what factual evidence was given to have the listing removed as opposed to private feedbacks and questioning his motives to sell a timepiece, which is obviously at anyone's discretion.
Old 7 June 2018, 12:51 AM   #15
APatel1984
Banned

https://ibb.co/h01CSo

Just to add a bit more to the conversation....
Old 7 June 2018, 12:52 AM   #16
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It would be at least £1,500 profit UK. That is a lot of money and there's nothing illegal about doing it.

I am still unsure as to why the listing has been removed or what evidence there was for it to be done.....

As I said, the pictures all look genuine, the buyer was willing to meet at his residence and even go to the official AD purchased from to verify. In addition, he has provided full receipt proof and offered to show me his license/driving license etc. to match against that.

I can understand the reluctance to purchase from eBay, but I feel this may be a case of adding 2+2 and getting to 5.

I have bought from eBay before without issue and have also sold on there, and I class myself as a genuine honest seller.

Like I said, would like to know what factual evidence was given to have the listing removed as opposed to private feedbacks and questioning his motives to sell a timepiece, which is obviously at anyone's discretion.
I do not think there was anything wrong with the listing.
I did a reverse search - nothing!

I suggested a photo with date and time srt!
You even got the official receipts and business card or Rolex rep!

Getting items removed on a "conspiracy theory" is not correct

Best
Old 7 June 2018, 01:00 AM   #17
APatel1984
Banned

Just to add further, I spoke to the individual listed on the receipt at the A:

Robert Gatward Jewellers Windsor (Official Rolex Retailer)

He has verified the purchase and everything was fine...

Would be interested to hear thoughts now the additional evidence has been provided.
Old 7 June 2018, 04:05 AM   #18
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes, let me know please. Looking for new.
I have a dealer with both a 2017 nib and a 2014 box and papers too.
Old 7 June 2018, 05:31 AM   #19
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Just to add further, I spoke to the individual listed on the receipt at the A:

Robert Gatward Jewellers Windsor (Official Rolex Retailer)

He has verified the purchase and everything was fine...

Would be interested to hear thoughts now the additional evidence has been provided.
A lot of guys on here are conservative AD only guys and you’ll get opinions which confirm this bias. There are deals to be had on eBay, that are completely legitimate and authentic, the problem is sifting through the BS. The item in question was probably fine, as you yourself seemingly verified with the call to the AD. People are just very fearful if they traditionally buy brick and mortar. Every Rolex on eBay is not fake, it’s ridiculous to have that mentality. Montblanc is another example. A ton of fakes, but guess what, mine was purchased there, from an individual needing the cash. Verified by Montblanc in germany, 100% authentic and good to go.

People get into binds and need money, or simply want to flip something for a profit, and they get more listing on eBay than walking into a pawn shop or watch retailer. Simple as that, it happens, a lot.
Old 7 June 2018, 07:58 AM   #20
APatel1984
Banned

Quote:
A lot of guys on here are conservative AD only guys and you’ll get opinions which confirm this bias. There are deals to be had on eBay, that are completely legitimate and authentic, the problem is sifting through the BS. The item in question was probably fine, as you yourself seemingly verified with the call to the AD. People are just very fearful if they traditionally buy brick and mortar. Every Rolex on eBay is not fake, it’s ridiculous to have that mentality. Montblanc is another example. A ton of fakes, but guess what, mine was purchased there, from an individual needing the cash. Verified by Montblanc in germany, 100% authentic and good to go.

People get into binds and need money, or simply want to flip something for a profit, and they get more listing on eBay than walking into a pawn shop or watch retailer. Simple as that, it happens, a lot.
Well put. eBay is incidentally where i got my Daytona from aswell. Of course I paid a premium, but it was slightly less than you see on chrono24 etc. and my intention was to buy it, wear it, and enjoy it.

I am a bit shocked at some of the narrow mindedness on here thus far.
Old 7 June 2018, 08:07 AM   #21
freefly
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4&5-digit Sub/GMTs
Quote:
Ah, back to jumping the gun and getting more legitimate eBay auctions removed I see.
Quote:
Not sure why that would "send up a flare" for you. Countless brand new Rolex watches go up for sale every day by private individuals and grey-market dealers.
Models such as this (not a "Sub" BTW) are still very much in demand and are selling for well over MSRP on the secondary market. Econ 101 stuff here. No flare gun needed...
Quote:

Easy there Columbo, lol...
As I (and others here) have alluded to previously, your "scam" radar is in need of some serious calibration.
freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2018, 08:09 AM   #22
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefly View Post

Easy there Columbo, lol...
As I (and others here) have alluded to previously, your "scam" radar is in need of some serious calibration.
I WAS GOING TO SAY THE SAME THING
Old 7 June 2018, 08:10 AM   #23
freefly
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLADIATOR View Post
I do not think there was anything wrong with the listing.
There wasn't.
Quote:
Getting items removed on a "conspiracy theory" is not correct
Exactly. Not the first time either.
It was suggested a while ago that he "pump the brakes" on reporting auctions based on dubious and/or non-actionable info.
Yet, that doesn't seem to have deterred him any. SMH...
Old 7 June 2018, 09:35 AM   #24
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

I know well there was nothing wrong with the piece, nor did it look a scam.
No reverse search (stolen) photos, but to be safe I asked OP to ask for a photo with hands and date set.
Just a final check.
I did not know at that time he had the AD card and credit card transaction - if so I would have advised contact AD.

I know you dont like me, but I am mighty careful what I report to eBay, and I dont believe I have ever miss reported - if in any doubt I do not report.

On these forums, I give my best "opinion" and if I believe fake, I state "in my opinion, but please get an AD check it OR post movement photo."

Adam
Old 7 June 2018, 10:12 AM   #25
freefly
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I know well there was nothing wrong with the piece, nor did it look a scam.
No reverse search (stolen) photos, but to be safe I asked OP to ask for a photo with hands and date set.
Just a final check.
I did not know at that time he had the AD card and credit card transaction - if so I would have advised contact AD.

I know you dont like me, but I am mighty careful what I report to eBay, and I dont believe I have ever miss reported - if in any doubt I do not report.

On these forums, I give my best "opinion" and if I believe fake, I state "in my opinion, but please get an AD check it OR post movement photo."

Adam
Not sure if the above was directed at me, but I was 100% agreeing with you!

Old 7 June 2018, 10:15 AM   #26
dmash
"TRF" Member

Just another day on the job for eelpie

Old 7 June 2018, 08:23 PM   #27
APatel1984
Banned

Sounds like it was just one individual on a crusade - glad to know that is not the norm!
Old 7 June 2018, 08:23 PM   #28
APatel1984
Banned

I will post photos of the new watch when I collect this weekend :)
Old 7 June 2018, 08:40 PM   #29
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I will post photos of the new watch when I collect this weekend :)
Wait? So did you buy the one in question??
Old 8 June 2018, 08:04 AM   #30
APatel1984
Banned

Quote:
Wait? So did you buy the one in question??
I will be buying it yes, providing everything is fine when I meet the seller.