The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 13 December 2018, 11:44 PM   #1
aduong
"TRF" Member

take or pass

Hello all,

I am on a wait for 5726 since 5712 is so hard to get per AD. A good number of months has passed and no luck.

I received a potential deal to get a Calatrava and a 5712 bracelet. But I must get both.

if I take it- how much do I stand to lose if I don’t like the Calatrava. 5196 or 5296. Also waiting for the 5726 has grown on me (more sporty)and did not expect 5712 anymore. I feel I may be propositioned with a strings attached when the 5726 comes in as well.

Is the rarity of 5712 and value worth taking a loss something else? I have put my name other ad already but does not seem likely.

BTW- is anyone planning on purchasing a Calatrava discount off msrp of course(pls PM me)? - maybe make it a win win situation!

Thank you in advance for your advice
aduong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 12:12 AM   #2
PJ S
Banned

Check Chrono24 and eBay for used prices on the Calatrava, and deduct 20% for the reseller’s margin. That’ll give you an idea what you’re likely to get for yours, if you don’t sell it privately.
Add the loss to the price of the 5712 and if you can’t find one at that total, then arguably the deal makes more sense. Personally, I’d be looking for a discount on the bundled item to further limit the loss.
As for the 5726 concern, just ask the AD if this bundle deal is a one-off or will they be employing the same tactic with the 5726.
At that point, you can figure if it’s best to defer any purchasing until it arrives or use the current deal as leverage against buying it on its own.
There’s no time like the present to start honing your negotiating skills.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 12:17 AM   #3
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
If you wouldn’t have purchased these pieces otherwise- please don’t buy them! This extortion from unscrupulous AD’s is ridiculous. If we refuse to participate maybe they will wise up. The AD agreed to get you the 26 w/0 any additional purchases and I would expect him to keep his word. The greed of these AD’s is appalling. For me , I refuse to participate. If I have to buy from individuals or gray (which I have done on the 6 PP I currently own) or even go without so be it.james in San Antonio Tx
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 12:19 AM   #4
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Ha! I love this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 14 December 2018, 12:28 AM   #5
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
By the way go ahead and buy the 5196 or 5296 - that way you just traded places w your benovolent (read greedy) dealer. You will them be the one that has a piece Very difficult to sell unless you are willing to take a huge (thousands) of dollars in loss. Tell him you will buy the 5712 at retail but no thank you keep your Calatrava - I have no need of it. Oh btw are you interested in cultivating a relationship with ME , that I might be a loyal customer???
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 02:01 AM   #6
aduong
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
Check Chrono24 and eBay for used prices on the Calatrava, and deduct 20% for the reseller’s margin. That’ll give you an idea what you’re likely to get for yours, if you don’t sell it privately.
Add the loss to the price of the 5712 and if you can’t find one at that total, then arguably the deal makes more sense. Personally, I’d be looking for a discount on the bundled item to further limit the loss.
As for the 5726 concern, just ask the AD if this bundle deal is a one-off or will they be employing the same tactic with the 5726.
At that point, you can figure if it’s best to defer any purchasing until it arrives or use the current deal as leverage against buying it on its own.
There’s no time like the present to start honing your negotiating skills.
LOL! I do agree with self development everyday! Thanks
Old 14 December 2018, 02:03 AM   #7
aduong
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by james272 View Post
If you wouldn’t have purchased these pieces otherwise- please don’t buy them! This extortion from unscrupulous AD’s is ridiculous. If we refuse to participate maybe they will wise up. The AD agreed to get you the 26 w/0 any additional purchases and I would expect him to keep his word. The greed of these AD’s is appalling. For me , I refuse to participate. If I have to buy from individuals or gray (which I have done on the 6 PP I currently own) or even go without so be it.james in San Antonio Tx
I do feel a little abused yes. The 5712 was originally what I wanted- then I got sold and fell in love with the 5726. I don’t mind to have the 5712- but at this pace- I am flirting with divorce!
Old 14 December 2018, 02:14 AM   #8
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

This is not something I would ever go along with. It's only a watch, not some sort of sacred object! It seems a little like extortion.
rolexpatek363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 03:09 AM   #9
dsk28
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexpatek363 View Post
This is not something I would ever go along with. It's only a watch, not some sort of sacred object! It seems a little like extortion.
Agreed and this is what an AD tried to do with me in Singapore. Needless to say I declined the offer, I will never be held ransom by an AD for a luxury item purchase.
dsk28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 03:14 AM   #10
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
All this to buy a watch

No wonder my interest wanes a bit more each day. I would pass
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 05:11 AM   #11
Vipes
"TRF" Member

If you don't want a Calatrava then I would pass.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 05:55 AM   #12
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

These marketing strategies are doing their own important part in reducing brand demand and loyalty. Years from now you will be happy to have passed on these shenanigans.
Old 14 December 2018, 08:34 AM   #13
turborolex
"TRF" Member

Yeah man....I would pass.

1. You want a 5726
2. You don’t want a Calatrava (very few do!)
3. You’re not sure you want a 5712
4. You’re probably going to have an acute case of severe buyer’s remorse once you close the deal and the honeymoon is over! (Difficult to treat!)

Based on the above, why would you go with such crappy deal that doesn’t benefit you in any way?

Old 14 December 2018, 11:14 AM   #14
aduong
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turborolex View Post
Yeah man....I would pass.

1. You want a 5726
2. You don’t want a Calatrava (very few do!)
3. You’re not sure you want a 5712
4. You’re probably going to have an acute case of severe buyer’s remorse once you close the deal and the honeymoon is over! (Difficult to treat!)

Based on the above, why would you go with such crappy deal that doesn’t benefit you in any way?

Thanks turbo- well put. I did forget about buyers remorse- that’s no fun.