The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 July 2023, 04:35 AM   #1
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Attempted Rolex theft in my own home

I can't believe I am writing this. This sort of thing only happens to other people.

I'm selling a 16613 at the moment, I have it listed on FB marketplace. I got a message from a chap called Lewis who made a near offer and said he'd come along the next day.

I knew something was off the moment I laid eyes on him. he came into my house, took a glance at the watch - there was no buying process, he just said it was fine he'd take it. He offered cash or bank transfer, I asked for bank transfer, so he handed me his phone with his bank app open and asked me to enter my payment details (yes lots of red flags, I'm all over this guy pages ago), I handed his phone back, he says he's sent the payment.

At this point his accomplice has walked into my home, unaccounced, she had been waiting in his van before, and now she has my watch on her wrist.

I check my bank acc, no payment received. Immediatly I ask for the watch back. She says/pretends she is struggling to undo the clasp. He helped her and I reach out and grab it, put it in my pocket. What's wrong he asks, it's not going anywhere until I have clear payment I tell him.

Well, he proceeds to argue with and gaslight me with bullshit about how he has paid, I saw the payment go, I even put my details in myself, etc.. how it's a Saturday it'll be taking a little longer, I need to call my bank..he's not waiting ofr 2 hours for payment to clear, it's my problem the payment hasn't come into my acc, not his, he has paid I saw him pay and he wants the watch.

This is all going on in my home guys he's yelling at me in my lounge, that I'm trying to scam him.
I was on my own, full on fight or flight mode, he would not accept my argument that the watch stays with me until I see clear payment in my account.
At this point I 100% know he is a scammer.

This is young guy early 30's with an early female 30's accomplice, both heavy Irish accents and expensive branded tasteless clothes, from the travelling community. Very agressive, very forcefull, would not take no for an answer, would not back down. I'm thinking there is going to be altercation because I am not letting this happen. I was terrified though.

I'm a car dealer. I never let a car go without clear payment and that is something that is easily traceable, so I would never let this slide. So I held my ground.
When he realised I wasn't going to let the watch go, he told me he would give me cash instead if I would send the bank transfer payment back when it arrived, but he wanted ID before he trusted me to leave cash.. then he gave me £1000 in 20's which was all correct, once I had counted that he tried to give me the ££££ balance in counterfeit Irish bank £50's.
When I told him those are fake he started yelling at me that I didn't know what I was talking about, I should take one to a local shop right now etc. At this point I told him again that I wasn't comfortable dealing with him - and he just grabbed the fake cash and left. He told me he had a photo of my ID an I need to return his transfer.

I reported it to the Police. No payment ever arrived from him.

This guy came into my home and tried to pay with a fake banking app. I saw his balance go from £18k to £11k, he made me put my details in so I could see that. I was not fooled by him but others could be, especially with the pressure he applied to make me hand over the watch.

I can't believe THESE SCAMMERS ARE BLATANTLY COMING INTO YOUR HOME NOW.

I'm worried because this scum knows I have watches here and he has a photo of my ID to do with whatever he likes.

This was a horrific experience, it's taken me 2 days to calm down. I'll never try sell a Rolex alone in future. Take care folks.
thesharkfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2023, 04:38 AM   #2
The OG Beef
"TRF" Member

Sorry you had to experience this. ALWAYS do deals with strangers at a bank, police station etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The OG Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2023, 04:40 AM   #3
whiskyrolex
"TRF" Member

Never sell at your home.
whiskyrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2023, 04:45 AM   #4
Rolexken
"TRF" Member

Really sorry you had to go through this, but it makes you think the offer you would get from eg. Watchfinder would be a better option than risk this happening.
Rolexken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2023, 04:45 AM   #5
Auric Goldfinger
Banned

Why would you conduct a sale in your personal home with a stranger? Common sense would dictate meeting in a public place, no? Glad it ended with the watch remaining in your possession.
Auric Goldfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2023, 04:48 AM   #6
Raj24v
"TRF" Member

Two golden rules you broke.
1) selling from your home. Alone.
2) dealing with that community. Known for scams/theft and frauding people.
Raj24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2023, 04:54 AM   #7
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

This is why I seldom sell things privately and never let prospective buyers in my home. Such business is always conducted somewhere else. I'm glad they backed off and made with the legs. I hope you have good home security.

I've sold two watches to WF and traded one at The Swiss Watch Co. No hassle, no anxiety, fair offers, no scams.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2023, 04:56 AM   #8
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Cue all the people up on high horses who will now proceed to tell OP what he did wrong, which he clearly knows in hindsight at this point

Op, sorry it happened to you. Sucks that there are people like that out there and I can totally understand how you must feel.

May be time to contact a security expert to see what layers you can add to your home to give you piece of mind
Old 11 July 2023, 04:59 AM   #9
Podmornica
Banned

Yeah, selling a Rolex these days will likely get you robbed or injured, or possibly both if not dealt in a police station.

No wonder grey dealers are paying 30-50% less than a market price these days .. If they pay anything at all that is, since they are now usually offering a consignment only due to watch market crumbling .. But that's the price for a sellers piece of mind ..
Podmornica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2023, 05:03 AM   #10
Rolex1982
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Meteorite
Jezus, what a story. Glad you came out of it ok physically. Hope you feel better now. Also keep in mind when posting photo’s made with your phone that there could be GPS coordinates included in the photo. So if you post a picture of your watch proudly, that it could contain more info than you want.
Rolex1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2023, 05:08 AM   #11
GreatScott
"TRF" Member

It scares me you put your bank info in his phone

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
GreatScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2023, 05:18 AM   #12
PIL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41mm 126334
Sorry to hear about your experience. However, selling such an asset on FB marketplace and in your home begs for trouble. Glad you were not physically hurt
PIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2023, 05:20 AM   #13
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Watch: panerai
as others have said, only transact this type of deal at a bank or police station. you should contact your bank and make sure nothing has been compromised, since they have your id and bank info.

chgo_risti on IG
fullcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2023, 05:21 AM   #14
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Another, “never do sales out of your home”.

Glad you weren’t harmed OP
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2023, 05:23 AM   #15
Kreyzhorse
"TRF" Member

Watch: "05" Air-King
That's scary stuff and thankfully it didn't turn out worse. I'd alsoo speak with your bank if you gave him your account information.
Kreyzhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2023, 05:24 AM   #16
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

I sell cars from home so it's natural for me to deal with folks alone at home. I have never had a problem before in near 20yrs of doing business this way so I had no qualms whatsoever about dealing from home and I have sold Rolex from home a few times before to lovely people, but I will in future be more cautious.
Also, I never spoke to the guy on the phone before he came, I would have identified he was a scammer before the call was up and probably prevented it going any further.

Yes, rules were broken and that's what happens when you let your guard down.

Considering getting a dog for protection.
Old 11 July 2023, 05:26 AM   #17
eightball76
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16520, LV, SD4K
Go to your bank asap, he’s got all your details
eightball76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2023, 05:27 AM   #18
dukie748
"TRF" Member

I would be concerned that he has a photo of your ID, and your bank details.

Have you informed the bank?
dukie748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2023, 05:31 AM   #19
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Trusty Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesharkfactor View Post

I can't believe THESE SCAMMERS ARE BLATANTLY COMING INTO YOUR HOME NOW.
I’m really sorry this happened to you, but you invited a stranger and scammer into your home. Please don’t make that mistake again.
espanol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2023, 05:37 AM   #20
rockysw
"TRF" Member

Very sorry to hear that. I am in Scotland too, and somehow I am feeling it bit more than usual given I guess this has happened closer to home.
rockysw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2023, 05:42 AM   #21
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Glad to hear that no bodily injury happened to you.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2023, 05:49 AM   #22
Watchsama
"TRF" Member

FB Market and at home... Yikes...
Watchsama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2023, 05:52 AM   #23
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
A worrying story to read especially having it happen in your own house
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2023, 05:53 AM   #24
shammad10
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear that bud, you must be quite shaken up.
Not going to add to the 'you should have known better' choir, as that's pointless and you know that yourself.

I would consider selling to watchfinder or similar- you may lose £500-£1000 in value, but you get the peace of mind that you are dealing with a reputable company.
I would consider making sure the watches and any other valuables are insured, in case the travellers decide to try their luck at a break in .
shammad10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2023, 05:54 AM   #25
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
Put a hold on the bank account. Also, check your watch carefully to see if it's the same watch. I know it sounds unusual, but the first thing that came to mind was that she switched the watch whilst it was on her wrist.
SDGT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2023, 05:58 AM   #26
news
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGT3 View Post
Put a hold on the bank account. Also, check your watch carefully to see if it's the same watch. I know it sounds unusual, but the first thing that came to mind was that she switched the watch whilst it was on her wrist.
Wow, that’s good advice and maybe the base layer for the whole scam.
news is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2023, 05:58 AM   #27
Potawatomi
"TRF" Member

Add delete Facebook to the golden rules list too. I'm more offended people still use that garbage than I am by OP trying to conduct a sale at their home.
Potawatomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2023, 06:08 AM   #28
Laostuh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskyrolex View Post
Never sell at your home.
THIS. That would've been my first thought. Now he knows where you live.
Laostuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2023, 06:11 AM   #29
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potawatomi View Post
Add delete Facebook to the golden rules list too. I'm more offended people still use that garbage than I am by OP trying to conduct a sale at their home.
This is a village in central Scotland, a very middle class place with a small community and a non existent crime rate, we are a product of our enviroment. That's what we do round here because there is never any worry - but there is now.
Old 11 July 2023, 06:12 AM   #30
Yobber76
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: BLNR VTNR PAM 915
Begs the question........

Is Scotland safe?
Yobber76 is offline   Reply With Quote