The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 30 November 2020, 04:45 AM   #1
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Moonwatch with Moonphase

I was browsing watchbox and saw this piece.

https://www.thewatchbox.com/shop/4329025.html

Looks beautiful. The flight qualified for a moonphase moonwatch is a bit strange to me, and also having a moonphase is also not super practical for a manual wound watch for a multi watch owner (a bit of a pain to me to have to update the date and moonphase whenever wearing the watch and can’t rely on a winder). But the added complication, sapphire crystal, and white gold bezel seems really nice.

But it’s a great dial, and seems like most of these references the price at $4500 is pretty reasonable.

What do you all think about this reference? I wonder why Omega stopped making this reference. Also anyone know the original msrp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2020, 04:05 AM   #2
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

No one...?

Old 6 December 2020, 09:05 AM   #3
SPMN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Omega
I think it's a cool watch. A moonphase is a really cool complication, but like you said, as a manual wind watch, you'll need to stay on top of winding it. I would imagine that most of the people with them gave up on keeping the moonphase accurate, and used it like a standard silver-dialed Speedy with a pretty, although likely inaccurate, moonphase.
SPMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2020, 08:42 PM   #4
stevedssd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPMN View Post
I think it's a cool watch. A moonphase is a really cool complication, but like you said, as a manual wind watch, you'll need to stay on top of winding it. I would imagine that most of the people with them gave up on keeping the moonphase accurate, and used it like a standard silver-dialed Speedy with a pretty, although likely inaccurate, moonphase.
That's certainly true in my case and the date is impossible to read anyway!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 20190213_134958.jpeg (251.6 KB, 158 views)
stevedssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2020, 12:35 AM   #5
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPMN View Post
This is an excellent point I never considered. Not sure i would want a moonphase watch with manual wind. I know I tend to keep my moonphase (automatic movement) on the winder when I don't wear it because setting the date and phase of the moon can be a pain.

Sent from my Galaxy S20 using Tapatalk
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2020, 01:30 AM   #6
Kernow
Banned

Not for me
Kernow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2020, 01:59 AM   #7
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
This is an excellent point I never considered. Not sure i would want a moonphase watch with manual wind. I know I tend to keep my moonphase (automatic movement) on the winder when I don't wear it because setting the date and phase of the moon can be a pain.

Sent from my Galaxy S20 using Tapatalk
yeah it's probably an overlooked point to consider. like a calendar watch, if you fall behind you are gonna hate life. even a non-quickset date can be a real pita.

seems to me unless it's a daily wearer, the complications aren't really considered. i don't even set the times on my watches usually

i like that watch though OP. and i thought they trended around 7k ? maybe a different reference ?
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2020, 02:27 PM   #8
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoPico View Post
yeah it's probably an overlooked point to consider. like a calendar watch, if you fall behind you are gonna hate life. even a non-quickset date can be a real pita.

seems to me unless it's a daily wearer, the complications aren't really considered. i don't even set the times on my watches usually

i like that watch though OP. and i thought they trended around 7k ? maybe a different reference ?

Yea. Must be why this reference is not that popular, and omega moved their moonphase watches to automatic movement. Which is a little funny because it’s also weird to think about an automatic watch as a moonwatch (I don’t think automatic movements would work in any reasonable way in space with zero gravity).

Still say it’s a beautiful piece but I guess date and moonphase on manual wind just doesn’t make sense.

If I was a one watch guy, I could see that working really well. Not too many one watch guys buying a moonphase manual wind moonwatch though I guess, so probably small market.

Gonna pass, even though it’s a nice piece! Need to be selective about what goes into my collection... too many additions

Old 8 December 2020, 03:03 PM   #9
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollieo View Post
Yea. Must be why this reference is not that popular, and omega moved their moonphase watches to automatic movement. Which is a little funny because it’s also weird to think about an automatic watch as a moonwatch (I don’t think automatic movements would work in any reasonable way in space with zero gravity).

Still say it’s a beautiful piece but I guess date and moonphase on manual wind just doesn’t make sense.

If I was a one watch guy, I could see that working really well. Not too many one watch guys buying a moonphase manual wind moonwatch though I guess, so probably small market.

Gonna pass, even though it’s a nice piece! Need to be selective about what goes into my collection... too many additions

Many high end perpetual calendar moonphase watches are manually wound. Lange's almost entire portfolio for example.
Old 12 December 2020, 03:47 AM   #10
airansun
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016
And I’ve collected some...

I really like mine. Much easier to set the date and the moonphase than on the 15xx Rolexes with dates. And it’s an interesting complication.

I’ve learned to read the date by knowing how that subdial is laid out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 80F0C066-06AF-4AC7-BB02-E9A75619A050.jpeg (125.6 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpeg E7FF4393-2A95-45BF-AEA9-4088C7E9AE16.jpeg (143.4 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpeg 83297787-C0DC-47C2-A7E3-EA7336B08A38.jpeg (135.3 KB, 65 views)
airansun is offline   Reply With Quote