The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 27 May 2016, 05:55 AM   #1
roma1280
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5970g
Has TAG just blown up the expensive swiss watch market?

Has TAG blown the market up with its 02T tourbillion watch for $16k?
Does the emperor have no clothes? Is the cat out of the bag, that these watches aren't worth $50,000 to $100,000?
Will multi hundred thousand Pateks stop selling?
Are Pateks way overpriced?
All very loaded questions of course, but interested in opinions.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/Th...rera-Heuer-02T
roma1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2016, 06:04 AM   #2
andynj
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Certainly looks that way to me . I'm on the waiting list for one of the Tags (they are difficult to get not surprisingly) Not sure why you would want to pay through the nose for a complication which perhaps is not as complicated as we thought. Have Patek and co been pulling the wool over our eyes all this time? Certainly looks that way.
andynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2016, 06:16 AM   #3
ELITEVIDEOGAMES
"TRF" Member

Watch: me sell games
A tag tourbillion and a Patek tourbillion are 2 different animals my friend.
By your reasoning then the chinese toubillion that exist for sub $1k should take down the tag right? This is a Luxury goods market. Pricing is insane yes, however if people continue to buy a brand then in theory it is priced right.
ELITEVIDEOGAMES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2016, 06:21 AM   #4
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roma1280 View Post
Has TAG blown the market up with its 02T tourbillion watch for $16k?
Does the emperor have no clothes? Is the cat out of the bag, that these watches aren't worth $50,000 to $100,000?
Will multi hundred thousand Pateks stop selling?
Are Pateks way overpriced?
All very loaded questions of course, but interested in opinions.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/Th...rera-Heuer-02T
Why would they have blown up the market? patek sells plenty of nautilus and aquanaut watches despite the fact that many brands have waterproof offerings for much cheaper.
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2016, 06:41 AM   #5
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

"Blow up " the market is probably strong wording, while an attractive option at the price point, I doubt they are going to compete with the PP's of the world. Someone looking to spend six figures on a PP tourbillon might look at one of these and perhaps even buy one of these Tag watches as an addition, but stop in their tracks, not likely. Additonally, give me a Nautilus or a Tag tourbillon? I take the PP all day.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2016, 06:49 AM   #6
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELITEVIDEOGAMES View Post
By your reasoning then the chinese toubillion that exist for sub $1k should take down the tag right? This is a Luxury goods market. Pricing is insane yes, however if people continue to buy a brand then in theory it is priced right.
It can't be said any better than this.
Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2016, 06:56 AM   #7
denmanproject
"TRF" Member

I don't think Patek is too worried
denmanproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2016, 07:00 AM   #8
texex91
"TRF" Member

Tag is a Tag.
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2016, 07:12 AM   #9
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

I doubt Patek is worried about Tag's tourbillon. Patek makes very few tourbillons and all of them come with other complications, putting them in a totally different market.

I actually applaud Tag for trying out new things like the Smart watch and I am more curious to how that will affect the rest of the Swiss watch industry, meaning if others will jump in.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2016, 07:22 AM   #10
masyv6
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
x2
masyv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2016, 07:39 AM   #11
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
By your reasoning then the chinese toubillion that exist for sub $1k should take down the tag right?
It would, except for the fact that a "Swiss Made” watch can’t have a Chinese manufactured movement in its case.
There are various designs of tourbillon, but at the end of the day, a tourbillon is a tourbillon, is a tourbillon.
The difference here is the brand name attached to it – plain and simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denmanproject View Post
I don't think Patek is too worried
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
I doubt Patek is worried about Tag's tourbillon. Patek makes very few tourbillons and all of them come with other complications, putting them in a totally different market.
If Thierry wasn’t concern in the slightest, then why did he feel the need to give commentary on TAG Heuer, citing them as selling it too cheaply?

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/patek-ph...cheap/42026588

No other tourbillon manufacturer has said a word about it, only Patek – which could be viewed as rather telling from purely Patek's POV, rather than stated as a self-appointed industry bastion.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2016, 08:08 AM   #12
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

[QUOTE=PJ S;6732968]It would, except for the fact that a "Swiss Made” watch can’t have a Chinese manufactured movement in its case.
There are various designs of tourbillon, but at the end of the day, a tourbillon is a tourbillon, is a tourbillon.
The difference here is the brand name attached to it – plain and simple.

A tourbillon is a tourbillon is a tourbillon? So you think the level of finishing is the same between, for example, a patek tourbillon, a journe tourbillon, and this tag? Are all chronos the same, just different brand names cause differences in pricing? Sorry, but the entire premise of this question is a bit absurd, and to say that the only difference in various tourbillons in the market is the name on the dial is crazy
Old 27 May 2016, 08:29 AM   #13
PJ S
Banned

You’re being deliberately obtuse, Mike – you know exactly what was meant by my comment.
Old 27 May 2016, 08:44 AM   #14
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
You’re being deliberately obtuse, Mike – you know exactly what was meant by my comment.
I'm simply disagreeing with your comment...you said the only difference between tourbillons is the brand name, and I'm saying that couldn't be further from the truth. It's akin to saying the swatch sistem51 spelled doom for all higher priced mechanical three hand watches because swatch figured out how to make it at a lower price point, thus rendering any watch over $150 overpriced. My point is that not all movements are equal, and price, subjective as that may be, particularly in the world of watches, is driven by more than just the name on the dial.

To be honest, the tag tourbillon does nothing for me, but cheers to tag for coming up with something that gives those who crave a tourbillon but have less than $20k to spend a real option. I don't think there is anything wrong with the watch, and I'm sure people are going to buy it. I just don't think it re-prices the entire tourbillon market. And as far as Thierry stern commenting on it, he may have just been asked his opinion. I don't think it's keeping him up at night
Old 27 May 2016, 09:12 AM   #15
PJ S
Banned

I imagine there are many other things that preoccupy Thierry’s mind at night, but he could have refused to comment on what other brands are doing.
Like I said, his comments can be construed as protectionist for a highly profitable complication that the industry has milked for all it’s worth, and then some.

That the TAG one is lesser finished and not using the precious metals often found in most others, is how they’ve managed to reduce the cost – but the unspoken part of cost is brand name cachet.
To this end, and what I was getting at, if Patek or one of the other highly respected names had brought the TAG flying tourbillon to the table, they could have demanded a higher price because their brand name permits them that aspect.
I just thought it odd that Patek took up the option of publicly validating another brand’s product – unless he knew there would be a lot of widespread interest, and making a dismissive remark still got Patek mentioned in any associated article.

We know the target audience of TAG Heuer is much younger than Patek’s, typically – so having their name in there may get those potential buyers looking at who Patek Philippe is, and what they may have to offer instead.
Old 27 May 2016, 09:33 AM   #16
Hollister
Banned

Watch: 114300
It's a shame it's 45mm, and on a rubber strap. Perhaps if I was incontinent and blind I'd buy one. It looks tasteless, but then it's Biver.
Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2016, 09:48 AM   #17
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I see what Tag and Biver are doing here, they could have priced this much higher but they are making an interesting point.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2016, 10:19 AM   #18
Socal to az
Banned

Men's Wearhouse just blew up the luxury suit market. No more Tom Ford for me! Whoo hoo! Cheap suits for everyone!!

Oh wait, never mind.
Socal to az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2016, 10:34 AM   #19
YoureTerrific
"TRF" Member

People buy Patek Philippes because they want Patek Philippes and not because they want a certain complication. I admire TAG for what they're trying and don't think it affects the high luxury brands much at all.
YoureTerrific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2016, 11:41 AM   #20
slashd0t
"TRF" Member

Watch: This & That
A 3 hander Tag automatic sure doesn't have an affect on a three hander Patek.. Not worried.
Old 27 May 2016, 12:07 PM   #21
soundserious
"TRF" Member

these tourbillons will be selling for $5000 in 2 years on the secondary market, neat watches but nobody should confuse these with anything that has long term value retention
Old 27 May 2016, 12:28 PM   #22
Star Ferry
Banned

Interesting stuff, but where is the market for this? Who exactly is the buyer that wants a Swiss-made tourbillon at the lowest price possible, irregardless of brand?
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2016, 01:04 PM   #23
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
Tag is a Tag.
YES

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2016, 01:09 PM   #24
el1125
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundserious View Post
these tourbillons will be selling for $5000 in 2 years on the secondary market, neat watches but nobody should confuse these with anything that has long term value retention
I'll say less.
el1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2016, 01:17 PM   #25
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

So another question would be; is this the beginning of a new trend of inexpensive complications by swiss makers? More to follow?

Although still not same level as PP and others, but interesting to think about.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2016, 01:27 PM   #26
RationalPragmatist
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Are we sure that TAG didn't get acquire the tourbillion from Seiko like they did the Cal. 1887 in 2009?
RationalPragmatist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2016, 02:03 PM   #27
SearChart
TechXpert

I don't need a tourbillon, I don't want a Tag. $16k buys me a Calatrava, why on earth would I pick any Tag over a PP...
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2016, 02:18 PM   #28
Socal to az
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post
So another question would be; is this the beginning of a new trend of inexpensive complications by swiss makers? More to follow?

Although still not same level as PP and others, but interesting to think about.
No. This is not interesting. This is some wanna be watch maker saying we can make complicated watches. Big deal- you are still a Tag.
Old 27 May 2016, 02:18 PM   #29
Socal to az
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
I don't need a tourbillon, I don't want a Tag. $16k buys me a Calatrava, why on earth would I pick any Tag over a PP...
This.
Old 27 May 2016, 02:19 PM   #30
Socal to az
Banned

Dad! I just got a raise at my job and bought a tag.

Son- go get a new job and a real watch. ����