The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 31 October 2020, 11:43 PM   #1
grahammackay86
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Royal Oak 15500

Hi guys,

I’m currently looking to purchase my first AP. Wanting a Royal Oak 15500 blue or black dial. I’m based in the UK and I’ve been offered a blue dial unworn 2019 for £28,750 from a secondary dealer. Should I bite the bullet and get it or do you think it’s possible to get it for less? Thanks
grahammackay86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 11:48 PM   #2
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Are you already an AP owner or have a relationship with an AP AD?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2020, 12:38 AM   #3
grahammackay86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
Are you already an AP owner or have a relationship with an AP AD?

No unfortunately not, this will be my first AP. So therefore getting any kind of Royal Oak from an AD or boutique isn’t going to happen I would imagine? I absolutely hate the thought of paying over retail for any watch and would obviously rather buy it direct from AP but these days that doesn’t seem possible.... and the prices just keep going up like crazy on the secondary market also, I feel like it might be now or never 😕
Old 1 November 2020, 12:47 AM   #4
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahammackay86 View Post
No unfortunately not, this will be my first AP. So therefore getting any kind of Royal Oak from an AD or boutique isn’t going to happen I would imagine? I absolutely hate the thought of paying over retail for any watch and would obviously rather buy it direct from AP but these days that doesn’t seem possible.... and the prices just keep going up like crazy on the secondary market also, I feel like it might be now or never 😕
What did the boutique say? As of last year, a non-blue 15500 was still do-able. Might be more difficult now, but I wouldn't shell out a large premium without giving AD/boutique a serious shot. I'm not sure about the UK, but elsewhere the boutiques learn about their allocations early in the new year (or so they've told me), suggesting that contacting them now and then following up in January might be a good idea. I would try not to let FOMO drive the decision, unless a few grand here or there don't make a difference.
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2020, 12:55 AM   #5
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Study the topics on here going back a few months about how to deal with AP, then contact AP House London and explain your plight, you may be pleasantly surprised. One thing is for sure, they will help you as much as they can, whether that fits with your patience and timescale is another matter. Good luck.
GS93108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2020, 01:00 AM   #6
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

if you're dead set on blue then your only option is grey. the other color dials are doable within a year with no purchase history
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2020, 03:42 AM   #7
grahammackay86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
What did the boutique say? As of last year, a non-blue 15500 was still do-able. Might be more difficult now, but I wouldn't shell out a large premium without giving AD/boutique a serious shot. I'm not sure about the UK, but elsewhere the boutiques learn about their allocations early in the new year (or so they've told me), suggesting that contacting them now and then following up in January might be a good idea. I would try not to let FOMO drive the decision, unless a few grand here or there don't make a difference.
Well I was travelling home from work a few weeks back and had a layover in Dallas so jumped in a taxi between flights paid the boutique a visit, was a great visit but they didn’t have any 15500 pieces in stock as expected but hopefully something could come from that. I live in the far north of Scotland so isn’t easy to visit the boutique in London (particularly at the moment!) but will give them a call and see how it goes. Okay I’ll hold off for now and see how it goes, thank you!
Old 1 November 2020, 03:49 AM   #8
grahammackay86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS93108 View Post
Study the topics on here going back a few months about how to deal with AP, then contact AP House London and explain your plight, you may be pleasantly surprised. One thing is for sure, they will help you as much as they can, whether that fits with your patience and timescale is another matter. Good luck.
Thanks, I’ll have a read and contact AP house. Hopefully I’m pleasantly surprised. Thank you!
Old 1 November 2020, 03:51 AM   #9
grahammackay86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
if you're dead set on blue then your only option is grey. the other color dials are doable within a year with no purchase history
Blue is my favourite dial but I also love the black and recently the white has been growing on me more and more! The only one I’m not too keen on is the grey dial. Thanks for the info 👍🏻
Old 1 November 2020, 03:52 AM   #10
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Blue is my favourite dial but I also love the black and recently the white has been growing on me more and more! The only one I’m not too keen on is the grey dial. Thanks for the info ����
they're all great. i have the white 15450 and can just say these watches don't photograph well, especially the dials. they all look better in person. you can't go wrong with any dial here imo
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2020, 04:08 AM   #11
grahammackay86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
they're all great. i have the white 15450 and can just say these watches don't photograph well, especially the dials. they all look better in person. you can't go wrong with any dial here imo
That’s good to know, I’ve been watching plenty of YouTube videos and that shows off the dials better than photos but I’d imagine they’re all stunning in person!
Old 1 November 2020, 04:11 AM   #12
Boris020
"TRF" Member

Hi all, following this lately since I would like to buy one also. Is it possible to buy a 15500 with non blue dail and swap it for a blue one later?
Boris020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2020, 04:19 AM   #13
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That’s good to know, I’ve been watching plenty of YouTube videos and that shows off the dials better than photos but I’d imagine they’re all stunning in person!
I'm pretty sure that AP House London had the white dial version when I was there last month and it looked great. However, I'm equally sure that the one they had was a marketing piece. If AshAP reads this then he may well add some clarification as it was one of his friends that was interested in it.

AP's own pics in their site do no justice to any of their products, it's only sites like this and all the other social media sites that we end users really get to see the proper real life pics. Some of the pictures posted on this forum are amazing, so don't write off anything until you see it IRL.
Old 1 November 2020, 04:42 AM   #14
supernova
"TRF" Member

Royal Oak 15500

AP house in London have most models but as marketing pieces, as when I was there few months ago, they let me try on a blue 15500, then after 30 mins of me admiring it on my wrist, they tell me it’s multiple year wait....

Other than blue, all other dials are about 1 year wait they said. Me being impatient, I paid 10% over retail for brand new black 15500 with grey dealer. They seem to go for quite more than that now...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2020, 04:44 AM   #15
grahammackay86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that AP House London had the white dial version when I was there last month and it looked great. However, I'm equally sure that the one they had was a marketing piece. If AshAP reads this then he may well add some clarification as it was one of his friends that was interested in it.

AP's own pics in their site do no justice to any of their products, it's only sites like this and all the other social media sites that we end users really get to see the proper real life pics. Some of the pictures posted on this forum are amazing, so don't write off anything until you see it IRL.
Yeah for sure, photos on forums and instagram can definitely show off the watches in better lights. I'm addicted to it all so see plenty of pics daily! If only it was so easy to sit down and see them all in real life!
Old 1 November 2020, 05:32 AM   #16
7sins
"TRF" Member

You need purchase history unfortunately, or try to bundle with a lady AP. I have limited purchase history with my AD and picked up a grey dial 15500 in a very short amount of time from them. Much better than in photos, they also are aware of my AP purchases on the secondary market since I couldn't get access from them like a 15202 which I think help shows passion for the brand, they are a great bunch of people at Beverly Hills AP.
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2020, 05:51 AM   #17
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sins View Post
You need purchase history unfortunately, or try to bundle with a lady AP.
That it very definitely the axiom, but it's not necessarily 100% true in all regions. Different regions, different boutiques and different sales people matter.

I believe that one of our members, Vivalas, picked up a 15500 just recently from AP House London with little to no direct purchase history. He may of course have been using Vivalas as an alias on here to cover up his celebrity status and thus had AP bowing down to him :)

I'd say there is always hope, but it's definitely better to assume the worst and then be pleasantly surprised.

p.s.

If I walked into Beverly Hills now, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't sell me a thing, despite my AP purchase history :) I'm a lovable person, but they don't like me.
Old 2 November 2020, 02:20 PM   #18
7sins
"TRF" Member

^100% varies by region, I see many countries in Asia allocated multiple 15202st and Beverly Hills has received zero this year. Not sure which and how many pieces get allocated regionally but I think here in the US we are near the bottom of the totem pole. Albeit my purchase history is not as extensive as others.
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2020, 02:32 PM   #19
Fishrus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116622
Defintely try your boutique first like the others mentioned if there's no hurry. Black Dial should be possible depending on your region. The blue on the other hand should be pretty impossible if you have no purchase history.
Old 2 November 2020, 06:11 PM   #20
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
I believe that one of our members, Vivalas, picked up a 15500 just recently from AP House London with little to no direct purchase history. He may of course have been using Vivalas as an alias on here to cover up his celebrity status and thus had AP bowing down to him :)
Damn I’ve been rumbled - I’m Roy Cropper from Corrie

Joking aside, I had been in contact with an AP store for over a year, maybe two and got nowhere. I posted on here and Ash was very helpful and told me to get in contact with the AP house. They were extremely friendly and helpful and within a week I had a 15500. I think I was lucky that they happened to have one at the time and I don’t think I’d have got a blue dial, but I’m blown away with this watch. It really is stunning in the flesh! I’ve got some amazing watches so it takes a lot for me to be impressed.

Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2020, 06:20 PM   #21
Fishrus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivalas View Post

Joking aside, I had been in contact with an AP store for over a year, maybe two and got nowhere. I posted on here and Ash was very helpful and told me to get in contact with the AP house. They were extremely friendly and helpful and within a week I had a 15500. I think I was lucky that they happened to have one at the time and I don’t think I’d have got a blue dial, but I’m blown away with this watch. It really is stunning in the flesh! I’ve got some amazing watches so it takes a lot for me to be impressed.

Sick collection. Just need a PP to complete the Holy Trinity.
Old 2 November 2020, 06:56 PM   #22
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishrus View Post
Sick collection. Just need a PP to complete the Holy Trinity.
I had it - blue 5711 bought easily from an AD over 3 years ago. Within a few months the hype started and it became unobtainable. Never really suited me - fantastic watch mind you but too small for me. They say the Daytona wears small, the 5711 seemed much smaller.

For value only I’d be better off if I’d kept it, but my 1 watch rule is ‘wear it or sell it’. So I did. I’m 50 now and constantly think about getting a dressier watch, so maybe I’ll get another PP on leather one day.
Old 2 November 2020, 07:05 PM   #23
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
I had it - blue 5711 bought easily from an AD over 3 years ago. Within a few months the hype started and it became unobtainable. Never really suited me - fantastic watch mind you but too small for me. They say the Daytona wears small, the 5711 seemed much smaller.

For value only I’d be better off if I’d kept it, but my 1 watch rule is ‘wear it or sell it’. So I did. I’m 50 now and constantly think about getting a dressier watch, so maybe I’ll get another PP on leather one day.
Interesting, I probably find the D500 wears a tad smaller, I've recently put it on a strap with no endlinks and it looks like a 35mm now!
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2020, 07:11 PM   #24
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Interesting, I probably find the D500 wears a tad smaller, I've recently put it on a strap with no endlinks and it looks like a 35mm now!
You could be right. The Daytona was a grail watch for me that took 11 years to get (116520), then another 3 for this one.
Old 2 November 2020, 07:24 PM   #25
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Nice collection Roy :)
Old 2 November 2020, 09:18 PM   #26
grahammackay86
"TRF" Member

Quote:

That white dial looks absolutely amazing, great shot! Awesome collection too, perfect amount of variation 👌🏻
Old 4 November 2020, 03:51 AM   #27
doramas
Banned

Good luck
doramas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2020, 07:15 PM   #28
danicasi2002
"TRF" Member

I do not know how it is now and of course it depends on the country, the black 15500st was reasonably attainable in 2019 for those with no direct AP purchasing history. I was fortunate to receive one. It is an awesome piece as I am sure the grey and white are as well. The Royal Oak prides itself with very classy, polished case and shiny, bright components of the dial. For me, what I like about the black color is that (a) it is a classic color and (b) the color provides a very, very striking contrast to the shiny hour markers, AP logo, and hands on the dial and ultimately the case. It is already a simple dial design that I would like to bring out the markers and moving hands, etc. So despite the high demand for the blue dial, I am confident you would be very satisfied with a black dial 15500st. All the best in your search.
danicasi2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2020, 09:59 AM   #29
shkure
Banned

The AP boutique offered me a 15500 gray dial within 3 months of my original request this pst summer. I have no history with them.

Fun fact: i turned it down. Wears too big

shkure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2020, 12:32 AM   #30
imsayingthough
"TRF" Member

It seems 1550 grey and white dials only take 3 months or so from request if you have no history
imsayingthough is offline   Reply With Quote