The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 1 December 2020, 10:52 PM   #1
benvaz
"TRF" Member

SMP 300M Diver 8800 Accuracy

I know it's been mentioned on here before, but the accuracy on this watch is phenomenal. I went to adjust the date for today and figured I'd recalibrate the time since i had the crown out and was shocked to see that since Oct 1 the watch was only 1 minute ahead so it's gaining about 1sec/day.
benvaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2020, 11:57 PM   #2
trippinjimmy
"TRF" Member

If I wear mine consistently it keeps great time as well, but I find if it’s sitting, it’s at the higher end of tolerance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
trippinjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2020, 12:03 AM   #3
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Thanks for the date flip reminder. Agree on the accuracy. Mine gains 1-2 sec/day. Love that it's fast rather than slow. Makes time correction so much easier.

Sent from my Galaxy S20 using Tapatalk
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2020, 12:33 AM   #4
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Mine has averaged +3.4 spd for the last year.
Old 2 December 2020, 12:57 PM   #5
Seamaster59
"TRF" Member

+1 second/d. Nonstop wear
Seamaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2020, 08:54 PM   #6
Rochester585
"TRF" Member

been wearing mine everyday since i bought it last november and it is consistently +2/day it will vary slightly depending on how many hours i leave it on, sometimes well go a week +1/day

i get such a joy out of tracking the accuracy, i have seen this discussed before on the forum and some folks may think its not very exciting but i truly do.

i work in the manufacturing trade, and deal with mostly aerospace and defense work, very high precision stuff, and to think of the accuracy and consistency of these movements in those terms, its astonishing.

2 secs error out of 86,400 comes out to be .00002 which in my trade is stretching the limits as to how perfect you could ever hope to reliably manufacture something

considering the price for the new seamasters, and you get this quality of movement, materials and finishing on the case and bracelet, the asking price is quite reasonable and justifiable

youd be amazed what Uncle Sam will pay for something that more or less looks like something youd pull out of a scrap yard. Granted its a precision machined metal scrapyard so to speak...but still...with my professional background, the asking price for this level of machining and quality is most impressive
Rochester585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2020, 06:32 AM   #7
C0d
Banned

Watch: Dog
Now whatcha doing that saying out loud on a Rolex forum?

:)

New Omega movements are phenomenal and really put everything else behind when it comes to accuracy.

Most new Omega watches are more resistance to magnetism than the Milgauss. Not sure why noone talks about that.
C0d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2020, 07:42 AM   #8
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochester585 View Post
been wearing mine everyday since i bought it last november and it is consistently +2/day it will vary slightly depending on how many hours i leave it on, sometimes well go a week +1/day

i get such a joy out of tracking the accuracy, i have seen this discussed before on the forum and some folks may think its not very exciting but i truly do.

i work in the manufacturing trade, and deal with mostly aerospace and defense work, very high precision stuff, and to think of the accuracy and consistency of these movements in those terms, its astonishing.

2 secs error out of 86,400 comes out to be .00002 which in my trade is stretching the limits as to how perfect you could ever hope to reliably manufacture something

considering the price for the new seamasters, and you get this quality of movement, materials and finishing on the case and bracelet, the asking price is quite reasonable and justifiable

youd be amazed what Uncle Sam will pay for something that more or less looks like something youd pull out of a scrap yard. Granted its a precision machined metal scrapyard so to speak...but still...with my professional background, the asking price for this level of machining and quality is most impressive

Great perspective. I just wish omega would have done some edge finishing on the bracelet. Mine is dangerously sharp. After its first service polish it will be a more comfy watch.
Old 3 December 2020, 07:23 PM   #9
Kernow
Banned

I’ve got several of them
Kernow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2020, 08:24 PM   #10
Rochester585
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
Great perspective. I just wish omega would have done some edge finishing on the bracelet. Mine is dangerously sharp. After its first service polish it will be a more comfy watch.
I bought mine on the bracelet and wore it that way for probably 6 months straight. I now alternate between the bracelet and the rubber, sometimes on a daily basis because im impulsive that way. i too noticed an initial sharpness that youre describing, even the Omega logo that is engraved into the clasp wouldrub my thumb raw if i fidgeted with it.

That sharpness is gone for whatever reason, either my arm and wrist have become calloused to it lol, or its just had those very fine edges worn down. That kind of sharpness is actually desired most of the time in the manufacturing trade and with my backgorund i see it all the time.

most of our customers want a sharp crisp machined edge with no burr..which is exactly what omega have done here, theres no burrs or ragged machining, but they have achieved a perfect corner profile where the side and top of the bracelet link meet.

i was never uncomfortable as some have stated when it was factory new but i did notice how crisp the machining is.

they could hit the edge of the link with some scotchbrite or maybe tumble the links to dull that crisp machining, but that would add time and cost and like i said earlier a great many of our customers demand precision cut corner profiles, and as time passes those perfect sharp corners become softer
Old 3 December 2020, 10:03 PM   #11
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
Although I don't have my Seamaster on bracelet, I noticed the exact same thing on my coaxial Speedmaster 21mm bracelet. The second I put it on the edges bothered me. When you are used to a Rolex bracelet for years it can be quite a shock. However it didn't take long before either they settled down a little bit or I got used to it. I feel the same way as you. I would prefer if they taken the edges off at the factory to make it more comfortable out of the box.

But the Seamaster on OEM rubber is the most comfortably watch to wear I own. It just disappears on the wrist. I find myself touching my wrist a few times a day just to make sure it's there under a sleeve or jacket. It's just so comfortable.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2020, 12:59 AM   #12
trippinjimmy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
Although I don't have my Seamaster on bracelet, I noticed the exact same thing on my coaxial Speedmaster 21mm bracelet. The second I put it on the edges bothered me. When you are used to a Rolex bracelet for years it can be quite a shock. However it didn't take long before either they settled down a little bit or I got used to it. I feel the same way as you. I would prefer if they taken the edges off at the factory to make it more comfortable out of the box.

But the Seamaster on OEM rubber is the most comfortably watch to wear I own. It just disappears on the wrist. I find myself touching my wrist a few times a day just to make sure it's there under a sleeve or jacket. It's just so comfortable.

Now imagine that in titanium - NTTD literally disappears on the wrist!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
trippinjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2020, 06:14 AM   #13
Nodzex
"TRF" Member

Great watch, mine is about +2 secs a day consistently!
Nodzex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2020, 08:51 AM   #14
rick101

Quote:
I bought mine on the bracelet and wore it that way for probably 6 months straight. I now alternate between the bracelet and the rubber, sometimes on a daily basis because im impulsive that way. i too noticed an initial sharpness that youre describing, even the Omega logo that is engraved into the clasp wouldrub my thumb raw if i fidgeted with it.

That sharpness is gone for whatever reason, either my arm and wrist have become calloused to it lol, or its just had those very fine edges worn down. That kind of sharpness is actually desired most of the time in the manufacturing trade and with my backgorund i see it all the time.

most of our customers want a sharp crisp machined edge with no burr..which is exactly what omega have done here, theres no burrs or ragged machining, but they have achieved a perfect corner profile where the side and top of the bracelet link meet.

i was never uncomfortable as some have stated when it was factory new but i did notice how crisp the machining is.

they could hit the edge of the link with some scotchbrite or maybe tumble the links to dull that crisp machining, but that would add time and cost and like i said earlier a great many of our customers demand precision cut corner profiles, and as time passes those perfect sharp corners become softer
I’m literally checking out the rubber next week but been told it’s a pita to swap the two out what’s your experience?
rick101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2020, 10:54 AM   #15
Rochester585
"TRF" Member

I don’t think it’s a pain to swap at all. I’ve had lots of practice I suppose since I can never make up my mind and switch between the rubber and bracelet so often but I can easily do it in under a minute.

I bought a bergeon 7767-F tool from amazon for around 20 bucks. I believe the “F” designation is for the fine fork end of the tool. Bergeon seems to be regarded as quality stuff and my experience has been very good it is a well made tool

I would not be intimidated at all to switch back and forth between bracelet and strap, I consider myself a novice, I have no watchmaking or jeweler background and although I was nervous the first time, it really is no big task at all. Just be patient the first time.

Many will recommend to tape off your lugs to prevent scratches and I’m sure that’s an effective method or it wouldn’t be so often sugggested.

I did not bother to do that, and I don’t notice any scratching or marring of my lugs. I try to baby my belongings and take good care, but even if you did have a slip, it is not going to be unsightly while being worn, the back of your lugs will always be hidden

I do also find with anything I own, to tinker and maintain them myself creates a closer bond to that object and in my experience a greater appreciation for whatever it is. This watch is mine and I want to be able to customize it on my whims and fancies without having to get in the car and drive across town to ask favors and worst case potentially have to pay someone else to do the job. Plus I’m in complete control of the situation and worst case scenario I want to do the damage myself lol, but it truly won’t come to that for you or anyone else that wants to swap out straps, if you take your time it is quite simple

Report back once you’ve had success and encourage others to have the confidence to do it themselves also!
Old 4 December 2020, 11:38 AM   #16
greengold
Banned

Quote:
I don’t think it’s a pain to swap at all. I’ve had lots of practice I suppose since I can never make up my mind and switch between the rubber and bracelet so often but I can easily do it in under a minute.

I bought a bergeon 7767-F tool from amazon for around 20 bucks. I believe the “F” designation is for the fine fork end of the tool. Bergeon seems to be regarded as quality stuff and my experience has been very good it is a well made tool

I would not be intimidated at all to switch back and forth between bracelet and strap, I consider myself a novice, I have no watchmaking or jeweler background and although I was nervous the first time, it really is no big task at all. Just be patient the first time.

Many will recommend to tape off your lugs to prevent scratches and I’m sure that’s an effective method or it wouldn’t be so often sugggested.

I did not bother to do that, and I don’t notice any scratching or marring of my lugs. I try to baby my belongings and take good care, but even if you did have a slip, it is not going to be unsightly while being worn, the back of your lugs will always be hidden

I do also find with anything I own, to tinker and maintain them myself creates a closer bond to that object and in my experience a greater appreciation for whatever it is. This watch is mine and I want to be able to customize it on my whims and fancies without having to get in the car and drive across town to ask favors and worst case potentially have to pay someone else to do the job. Plus I’m in complete control of the situation and worst case scenario I want to do the damage myself lol, but it truly won’t come to that for you or anyone else that wants to swap out straps, if you take your time it is quite simple

Report back once you’ve had success and encourage others to have the confidence to do it themselves also!
Nice thanks I can get the strap, buckle and tool from Omega for £265 more than I thought - ok so if you HAD to choose one, which would it be or which do you find yourself wearing more often?
greengold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2020, 02:04 PM   #17
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Old 4 December 2020, 08:45 PM   #18
Rochester585
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengold View Post
Nice thanks I can get the strap, buckle and tool from Omega for £265 more than I thought - ok so if you HAD to choose one, which would it be or which do you find yourself wearing more often?
Ooooo boy this is a tough one. Im not the one to ask as i will switch mid day sometimes, I am that impulsive lol. I honestly have never found any issues with the bracelet, i find it to be very comfortable and i think on the bracelet, for my wrist shape, the watch head sits just a little flatter and closer to the top of my wrist which i prefer, especially if im going to be wearing a shirt or something with long sleeves. This way as my arms move, the garment will glide smoothly over the watch and not catch or hang up in anyway

I think the rubber looks better overall, I have only gotten compliments at work or from strangers.."hey thats a nice or cool watch" when worn on the rubber. I think the idea that omega purposefully designed the rubber and sell the watch that way and not as an accessory like a nato is telling. Omega are proud of this rubber strap and trust that a customer would be happy to own ONLY on the rubber. it is by far the nicest rubber strap i have ever encountered, some days i wish it had a deployant. I always have this nightmare scenario of the buckle coming undone and my watch tumbling to the pavement, but in wearing the rubber in all situations it has never moved or even slipped out of the nipple keeper design. Wear with confidence, it is secure and safe. I also like that the rubber can get wet, dirty, etc and its just an easy rinse off, i suppose the same could be said for the bracelet but i take more care when cleaning bracelets

One thing i do not like about the rubber is the tail that sticks out just a little bit. This is where i would prefer a deployant. this is an extremely nit picky complaint, and because of the nipple keeper, the same amount of tail hangs out everyday which is excellent..with any pin buckle design youre going to have some excess...but what i dont like about it, is that if im in bed or like i said earlier wearing a shirt or long sleeves, that excess will catch and pull just enough to remind me that i have a watch on and jiggle and move the watch on my wrist a little and im just a weird guy and that will irk me sometimes. Like i said thats an extremely nit picky complaint, barely worth mentioning really.

You can not go wrong with either option to wear it..the only mistake a person could make is not purchasing on the bracelet. I do feel it is a very high quality bracelet with the excellent on the fly push button clasp. The styling some may find to be a little dated, but omega stayed true to the design and DNA from the past and theres nothing wrong with that. This watch has a nice heritage. the same can be said for many industries..cars, bikes, guitars, watches etc..

If i had to guess...you will love the rubber strap and be glad you made the purchase, even though they dont come at a low cost. To pay what omega asks for a piece of rubber seems crazy..if i told my non watch people friends what this little bit of rubber cost theyd think i was insane, but you will not be disappointed. I also predict there will be days when you crave the weight and feel of an all steel machine on your wrist and you will find yourself swapping back and forth regularly.

You cant go wrong here, you already own a gorgeous watch and adding the rubber will enhance your enjoyment of this reference. I really do believe if someone owns both the bracelet and the rubber that they have a better kit than someone who buys a submariner. The omega rubber puts it over the top to have two solid options to wear and enjoy.

Enjoy buddy!!! Merry Christmas and God bless
Old 4 December 2020, 08:51 PM   #19
Rochester585
"TRF" Member

just realized how many times i used the phrase "nipple keeper" hahah

"What are you freaks talking about ??"--i can hear my old lady now lol