The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 9 June 2019, 01:47 PM   #1
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust II
Local Omega AD is Insane

Went to a local AD here in Houston Tx to actually handle a Seamaster Planet Ocean and looked at both the steel and titanium bracelets and the Mrs knew I had looked online several places at them at figured Father’s Day was coming up and was ready to get it for me until the cute little sales gal gave us the price I was like I surly did not hear her right so I had her repeat the cost to which I said can we work that down alittle and I got the big so out the door.

I am not opposed to giving an AD there just rewards but what they were asking was quite a lot over what I can get if for from a shop in California so no business from me.

With that said why are lots of AD’s not willing to not necessarily match what an online seller will do but at least come to the middle of the road....
Citizens Eco-Drive BL1258-53L Rolex DJII 116334, Tudor Heritage Black Bay 79230R Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra GMT 231.13.43.22.02.004 Ulysse Nardin Marine Torpilleur 1183.310/40 MAS Irukandji Vostok Komandirskie B&R BR0392-D-G-BR/SCA Vostok Komandirskie (Tank) South Bend Model 1 #716632 Vostok Amphibia (Sub)
Rolexoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 03:38 PM   #2
007timer
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
I am in SoUthern California and I was at the Omega boutique and had a very similar experience. They would not discount the watch but did offer me a free rubber strap with my proposed purchase.

They don’t necessarily need to match anyone. They are THE Omega store so the price is what it is to them. Most clients I saw while there didn’t even bother to ask do anything. They just have too much money I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
007timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 04:20 PM   #3
makak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexoman View Post
With that said why are lots of AD’s not willing to not necessarily match what an online seller will do but at least come to the middle of the road....
Because running an online store has massively reduced overheads, primarily rent and staff, so they can run at much skinnier margins
makak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 07:00 PM   #4
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
They are insane for not coming closer to a gray market seller?

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 07:36 PM   #5
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

OP, no offense but you are being unreasonable. At an Omega Boutique you should expect to pay MSRP, and if you get anything lower than that , you should be happy. Boutiques have a lot of overhead. Perk of buying from boutique is customer service and perhaps getting a leg up on limited editions. With that said, I’ve bought my omegas from an AD and from DavidSW as the $ savings were more important to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 08:24 PM   #6
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:

Omega Boutique does not need to price match with unauthorized sellers. If there is a slow selling product line you may get some flexibility.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 08:35 PM   #7
Cryten
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Because the market doesn't agree with Omega's insane pricing structure. The gap between what Omega think their watches are worth and what everyone else does is too big.

Panerai have the same problem.
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 08:42 PM   #8
double
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Holy Diver Trio
If you want a new Omega from an AD just buy from Ace Jewelers in Amsterdam. Use the local AD just to inspect and try it on in the flesh.

Ace's pricing, knowledge, and service is unmatched. I purchased both my PO and my wife's DeVille from Ace's eBoutique nearly eight years apart and couldn't be happier with both experiences. My wife's watch wasn't in stock any where and Ace was able to source directly from Omega to my door in five days (also sized it for her wrist during that time). I inquired about it on a Saturday as well.
double is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 10:33 PM   #9
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Well they can ask what they want and you can take it or leave it after an attempt at negotiation, that's the way it works. It's worth more to them than it is to you, so no transaction, no hard feelings.

Fact is, Omega has been successfully upping the prices their watches are selling at relative to MSRP, and they partly have Rolex to thank for that as well as a humming world economy. A few years ago you'd have been crazy to purchase a new Omega for anything more than a 25% discount from MSRP, plus no sales tax collected for out of state purchases. Nobody knowledgeable in watches purchased at the boutique except for truly limited edition pieces. Now, people are paying retail for the more popular models like the newest Seamaster, and some models are holding value on the secondary market.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 10:34 PM   #10
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

I don’t mind paying above what a online seller is charging but here is what my comparison was, watchshopping.com is currently selling the exact Seamaster the AD has for $2600 less, the watch from the online seller comes with the 5 year warranty from Omega and it’s NIB never worn just like the AD, I’m sorry to say that’s a lot of difference to pass over, like I said I don’t mind a reasonable profit but that to me is a huge difference.

The Omega AD I went to is selling it for the exact MSRP Price that I can get it from Omega directly for so there is no savings getting it directly from the AD versus them directly online so no saving unless you count no sales tax
Citizens Eco-Drive BL1258-53L Rolex DJII 116334, Tudor Heritage Black Bay 79230R Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra GMT 231.13.43.22.02.004 Ulysse Nardin Marine Torpilleur 1183.310/40 MAS Irukandji Vostok Komandirskie B&R BR0392-D-G-BR/SCA Vostok Komandirskie (Tank) South Bend Model 1 #716632 Vostok Amphibia (Sub)
Old 9 June 2019, 11:52 PM   #11
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don’t mind paying above what a online seller is charging but here is what my comparison was, watchshopping.com is currently selling the exact Seamaster the AD has for $2600 less, the watch from the online seller comes with the 5 year warranty from Omega and it’s NIB never worn just like the AD, I’m sorry to say that’s a lot of difference to pass over, like I said I don’t mind a reasonable profit but that to me is a huge difference.

The Omega AD I went to is selling it for the exact MSRP Price that I can get it from Omega directly for so there is no savings getting it directly from the AD versus them directly online so no saving unless you count no sales tax
So why don't you just buy it online?

Not sure what the issue is.
Old 10 June 2019, 12:57 AM   #12
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post

My original intent was not buying but I have family in town and my son wanted to go over to this high end shopping mall in the Galeria area to find some shirt or something and I don’t do malls anyway I saw they had an Omega store so I figured I would stop in as I have never handled this particular piece and if the price was reasonable I might have considered it as this would have been a way to establish a relationship with a local AD but after asking the price and then asking if they could possibly work the price down only to be told no I politely thanked the sales rep for her time and left.

If I do purchase soon it will likely be Grey as I can save a much larger amount
Old 11 June 2019, 02:28 AM   #13
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
The OB was willing to take 5% off a Speedy upon insisting. I found it wasn't good enough as grey dealers were selling BNIB at 30% off. A 15% discount would have been a good starting point, considering it was an 8k euros piece, but they wouldn't budge, so no deal, no hard feelings.

Went back a few weeks later, the watch was sold.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 06:33 AM   #14
DonBateman
Banned

Watch: I like watch
The boutiques never budge on price. Retail only.
DonBateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 12:41 PM   #15
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBateman View Post
That’s what I’m finding out.....
Old 11 June 2019, 12:58 PM   #16
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Dealers are free to ask whatever price they want and you are free to buy from whomever you want. I agree that it would be nice if some dealers could come down closer to gray market prices but if they feel they don't have to then be satisfied with that and move on.

Personally, I always prefer to purchase from an authorized dealer at a price that is near (either above or below) gray market and many dealers are happy to do this and so they earn my business but if not I move on. Their physical dealership and their help is worth something, of course, but often not as much as they would like. Even at a hefty discount, there is still a lot of profit involved, which is fine as I want them to make money but at the same time I don't want to be taken advantage of.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 04:38 AM   #17
tjs00
"TRF" Member

Was it an AD or OB? ADs will discount, OBs you'll get tax off and maybe a discount on less popular models.
tjs00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 05:16 AM   #18
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBateman View Post
Quote:
That’s what I’m finding out.....
I recently got 10% and a free strap for another watch that I have.

Tire kickers often don't get the same benefits as buyers.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 06:42 AM   #19
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I love the Houston Omega Boutique. Haven't bought a watch from them yet but have bought an adjustable clasp for my Speedy bracelet and a tang buckle for a custom strap I had made. They did a free tuneup on my father's 1976 vintage Constellation and I stop in to visit with the manager and tech whenever I'm in the mall.
They are not an AD, they are a company owned boutique and no discounts is the official line there. They do lots of business there and are a great resource, they are far from insane.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 08:38 AM   #20
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
I love the Houston Omega Boutique. Haven't bought a watch from them yet but have bought an adjustable clasp for my Speedy bracelet and a tang buckle for a custom strap I had made. They did a free tuneup on my father's 1976 vintage Constellation and I stop in to visit with the manager and tech whenever I'm in the mall.
They are not an AD, they are a company owned boutique and no discounts is the official line there. They do lots of business there and are a great resource, they are far from insane.
I thought they were an AD so my bad and I was not looking to get an exact match to Grey pricing but when they told me prices were firm I looked at a few more pieces and politely thanked the sales associate and left, $2800 plus tax difference is just way to much for me to swallow, I just don’t have that much cash to throw away
Old 12 June 2019, 12:31 PM   #21
JVM
Banned

I believe the Omega boutiques are owned by Omega, as opposed to the Rolex boutiques that are owned by individual dealers who likely own another Rolex dealer in the market (as is the case in Houston). It's not surprising that the Omega boutique doesn't discount, nor would it be prudent for them to do so. These stores don't have to support their existence through their own sales, as they are part of Omega's overall brand marketing costs. I would be pretty pissed if I was an authorized independent Omega dealer to find that the factory boutique in my market was discounting product. On top of that, it would be very poor form for the manufacturer's own stores to acknowledge that their watches aren't worth the price they're asking for them.

Quote:
Went to a local AD here in Houston Tx to actually handle a Seamaster Planet Ocean and looked at both the steel and titanium bracelets and the Mrs knew I had looked online several places at them at figured Father’s Day was coming up and was ready to get it for me until the cute little sales gal gave us the price I was like I surly did not hear her right so I had her repeat the cost to which I said can we work that down alittle and I got the big so out the door.

I am not opposed to giving an AD there just rewards but what they were asking was quite a lot over what I can get if for from a shop in California so no business from me.

JVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2019, 10:48 PM   #22
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
OP, no offense but you are being unreasonable. At an Omega Boutique you should expect to pay MSRP, and if you get anything lower than that , you should be happy. Boutiques have a lot of overhead. Perk of buying from boutique is customer service and perhaps getting a leg up on limited editions. With that said, I’ve bought my omegas from an AD and from DavidSW as the $ savings were more important to me.

Agree 100%. Would not expect an Omega Boutique to negotiate on pricing.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2019, 01:00 AM   #23
Amg7861
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM Rhodium Dial 37
Ongoing trend appears to be AD’s offering merch/ swag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Amg7861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2019, 07:53 PM   #24
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
...until the cute little sales gal gave us the price
Was this relevant to the story?

Maybe she didn’t like being patronised so was less accommodating as a result.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2019, 11:02 PM   #25
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post

..same here.....
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 03:31 AM   #26
MikeyV
"TRF" Member

Watch: DateJust 41 TT
I agree with the OP, but not sure what Omega should do about it.

I went to Tourbillon in SF to take a look at teh ceramic Seamaster 600s. They had a Deep Brown there with the Rose gold trim, priced at $11,700.

That's a ceramic watch, on a rubber strap, with a gold crown and bezel. Same list as a Rolex DJ41 in Two Tone.

That Omega can be had all day BNIB for $7500. That's a lot of cheese to leave on the table for the privilege of buying from a boutique.

Contrast this to Rolex, a new DJ41 TT from a dealer is $11,700 or so. One from a grey seems to be about $10,700. No difference in my book.

Buy an Omega (or a Tudor) from a dealer at full ask and you lose, bigly.

Some care, some don't.
MikeyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 07:23 PM   #27
Hipster Doofus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyV View Post
Buy an Omega (or a Tudor) from a dealer at full ask and you lose, bigly.
I had a chuckle at bigly - I don't see or hear it much in my parts. I agree with you and the OP but you can see how Omega might want to take the opportunity presented by Rolex' situation to stiffen the retail experience a little.

I'm dealing with a delusional AD who isn't willing to negotiate on a LE (3.5k+ units) still sitting on display 2+ years later (SM300 1957) - USD7000 retail and they have a (small) premium on it.
Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2019, 07:44 AM   #28
Hands90
"TRF" Member

Quote:

The price was too much for you?
First time shopping at an AD???
Hands90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2019, 10:41 PM   #29
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands90 View Post
The price was too much for you?
First time shopping at an AD???
First time shopping at an Omega AD, I am not opposed to someone making a profit but what they were asking plus the sales tax demon added on would have been approx $3500 over NIB online with factory warranty so I asked about a better deal and never mentioned the online price and the gal said no sir this is the price so like I said I thanked her and left.
Old 23 June 2019, 12:15 AM   #30
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
First time shopping at an Omega AD, I am not opposed to someone making a profit but what they were asking plus the sales tax demon added on would have been approx $3500 over NIB online with factory warranty so I asked about a better deal and never mentioned the online price and the gal said no sir this is the price so like I said I thanked her and left.
Was that from the boutique store in the Galleria? If so, then of course you won’t get a discount. The boutiques don’t give discounts in the US.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote