The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 23 April 2017, 08:12 PM   #1
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Stabilize hands on this 5513 or not?

This is my late R Series 5513. The dial, hands and bezel insert are original. What appear to be dial scratches in the photo are scratches on the acrylic crystal.

I purchased this watch over six years ago and have not had it serviced. It recently stopped running.

I decided to send it to RSC Dallas for service. Unfortunately, they refused to service the watch unless I allowed them to replace all three hands. I declined and asked RSC to send the watch back to me (when I have more time I will try and post about my interaction with RSC; it was interesting).

It is now in for service at a local watchmaker who has a Rolex parts account and is CW21 certified and is considered the best in the area. Should I have him stabilize the hands or not?

I wore this watch as my daily wearer for the last six years and the tritium has held up pretty well. I am in the process of getting another daily wearer and will retire this watch to special occasions only. So, it should not see much abuse.

As you can see, there are some light racks and crazing. But so far, no major chunks have fallen out.

So, to stabilize or not. My gut tells me no. I am interested in your opinions.

Thanks,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2187.jpg (113.5 KB, 422 views)

Tags
5513 , hands , lume , stabilize , tritium