The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 20 October 2010, 05:25 PM   #1
Yeahnah
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mil116400
A Milgauss (and slightly long) journey

As a new member to the Forum, and currently owner of a M116400 black face Milguass and a Y16570 white face Exp 11, this is may not a review, maybe more of a Rolex journey. After almost 30 years and 6 Rolex's, I think I have found the one that will stay !

The beginning - my first treasured purchase was a new 1980 model GMT Master (Pepsi) and the memories of picking up my first Rolex are still strong. It was subsequently followed by a 1982 TT Datejust, 1983 Submariner date, a 1988 GMT Master 11 (Coke), the Exp11 then the Milgauss.

The GMT Master Pepsi was purchased in 1981 after some years of desiring and saving for one. However at the time of purchase the AD (in Brisbane Aust) had a silver face Milgauss (not sure of the model number) that he was prepared to almost give away. No, I wasn't interested but I was captivated by this elegantly simple but robust looking watch, and it had always remained in a corner of the brain.

After 2 years The GMT as nice as it was, was sold to a friend of mine (who still has it!) and replaced by the Submariner date. At the time I was sailing and in the water constantly, so it was a wise choice. The TT Datejust was purchased almost on a whim as a dress watch, and was rarely used except when the other watch of the time was being serviced. A bit of an extravagance at the time but something everyone on this Forum will understand.
The Sub was great with it's flying saucer looks (side on) big acrylic face and classic style. I really enjoyed it, but the bracelet extender mechanism would catch and open up at the most inopportune time and at the time not knowing it was a simple fix, it was eventually replaced by the GMT Master 11 Coke. The new case on that model and the sapphire crystal provided a better waterproof level over the original GMT and it worked well in the outdoors.

Onwards to 2004 and my GMT needs another service. My eyesight up close is not what it was and I had difficulty reading the GMT 11 dial in low light. I compared the GMT to the Polar Explorer whilst at the AD and perfect, decision made! It's Rugged, wears well, very easy to read in all light levels, and also a bit different. It also meant I wouldn't be without a Rolex while the GMT 11 was serviced, as the Datejust was sold a few years earlier.
After receiving the GMT Master 11 back from servicing, my friend who owned my original GMT made an offer I couldn't refuse. He still has both and I imagine they are worth considerably more now !

Late 2007 and the new Milguass's were released. Ah-ha rekindled memories, but they didn't strike me with the same simplicity of what I remembered from 1981 except maybe the black face version. I still had only ever seen or knew of the silver dial model and that was the Milgauss imprint. I didn't understand the lightning bolt second hand either, but then I found the Rolex Forum *huge grins* and all the history of each of the watches was revealed. Including the beautifully simple and elegant Milguass from so long ago.

June this year and The Exp 11 needed it's 6 year service so into the AD in central Auckland for it's first service. Huge dilemma as that means no Rolex on my arm for the first time in almost 30 years. The AD was prepared to kindly loan me a second hand Rolex while they serviced it, however he mentioned that they had a new Rolex that had been purchased some time ago but was an unwanted and uncollected gift - was I interested to see it ? It was a black faced Milgauss.

It took about a minute of hand wringing to decide, as the price was extraordinary, yes I'll have it! It was still in it's original factory perspex padded transport case, and had never been on display or ever been opened by the AD! He also was prepared to create an attractive price for a Milgauss GV or the white face version as I had relayed the story of the first Milguass I had seen so long ago. However the prices were nothing to the level of the black face. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time!

There is no need to state the details of the 116400 as there are some very good and in depth reviews on this site. However;
It is the most accurate Rolex I have had, or personally now of. It lost 3 seconds in the first two months until I had to change a time zone. It has performed the same since.

It is very comfortable and balanced despite the size and considerable weight.

It's very much under the radar until it shines a beam out from it's polished surfaces, and then wow. Yes I still look at it and don't even see the time lol.

It is very easy to read, and to me the black face with the simple markers creates a balanced face reminiscent of the one I saw so long ago.

It has some scratches on the PCL's that are inevitable, but as others have said, it is the acquired character. I am also mindful of what's on my wrist (always have been) and I have been careful with all my watches. I don't mow the grass in it but I do wear it at the gym.

I am very content and both the Milguass (Millhouse lol) and the Exp 11 will not be sold. I am interested to see what the new model Exp 11 will be like, as when my daughter is old enough she will get the Exp11. I am also lucky enough to know where my other 4 watches have gone and all have excellent homes.

Additional to this long Milgauss journey !

JJ - if you see this I agree and endorse your comments about the AD in Central Auckland. They are excellent. (So is the one in Brisbane Aust.)

Jocke - you are a character. Great photography, humour and technical knowledge.

Thanks to all the posts that have been so interesting, and to the site which has helped so much with fulfulling the unanswered Rolex questions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000968.jpg (87.2 KB, 1620 views)
Yeahnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2010, 07:27 AM   #2
Puffy
"TRF" Member

hi Andrew and welcome to TRF

great post, thanks for sharing mate
Old 14 November 2010, 02:14 PM   #3
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16233,16610,214270
Welcome to TRF Andrew. This is a great forum. Enjoy.

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2010, 04:34 AM   #4
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Nice post ! Welcome to TRF !
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2010, 07:09 PM   #5
Yeahnah
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the welcoming comments. Apologies for the typo's - derrr.
An update on the accuracy of the "Millhouse" (my daughter's name for it). Three seconds slow after a reset from a timezone change three weeks ago ! I can't believe how accurate it is. Thanks again for reading :)
Old 28 November 2010, 05:59 AM   #6
minjitta
"TRF" Member

Welcome to TRF Andrew, thank you for sharing your journey with us, I am also a newbie here is my Green Milgauss for different taste, all Milgauss have it own good look, but I can't have them all.

Red Sub 1680 "2.6Mil"
ML Micro Dive
minjitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2010, 12:06 AM   #7
mpaone
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay
I have a new GV like the one above and love it so far. I probably paid too much but they had a great 0% financing offer I could not resist during this time of year (spent WAY too much on gifts).

It is a refreshing change to my 14060 Sub even though my first choice was a 116610LV.

-Mike.
mpaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2010, 03:02 AM   #8
McSpew
"TRF" Member

Which Milgauss is hardest to get?

Which Milgauss is the one that's nearly impossible to get? Is there a certain color dial that's considered the most desirable for the Milgauss?

I have a stainless Daytona with a white dial, and I know the white dial is more in demand than the black dial.
McSpew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2010, 07:29 AM   #9
Yeahnah
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSpew View Post
Which Milgauss is the one that's nearly impossible to get? Is there a certain color dial that's considered the most desirable for the Milgauss?

I have a stainless Daytona with a white dial, and I know the white dial is more in demand than the black dial.
I believe presently, all three models are readily available. When first released the GV was harder to get hold of however it was not a long wait to get one, both in Brisbane Aust. and Auckland NZ. It may be a different situation in other markets.
Congrats on your Daytona
Old 25 December 2010, 08:17 PM   #10
Bucky Waldorf
"TRF" Member

Great read. I've been thinking that a GMT will be my next but those Milgauss pics looked pretttttty good. Hmmmmm.
Bucky Waldorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2010, 10:11 PM   #11
dalip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PAM Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSpew View Post

depends where you are...not true in Singapore...Black dials are 1000 Sing $ more than the white..and harder to find

------------------------------------------------------------
"The liar's punishment is not in the least that he is not believed, but that he cannot believe anyone else." George Bernard Shaw
dalip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2011, 05:00 PM   #12
jessiethe3rd
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Chronometre Bleu
CLUB MILLIE! Welcome!
Old 25 January 2011, 02:48 AM   #13
witch watch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss GV
Lovely watch but for it had to be a GV and are now giving serious thought to having it DLC'd anyone on here have one DLC/PVD?
witch watch is offline   Reply With Quote