The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 30 June 2006, 11:52 AM   #1
colemanitis
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM 1090
GMT 16750 review

I received this preowned Rolex watch (GMT-Master 16750) on June 1, 2006. This is my first Rolex timepiece.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

WOW! What else can I say. This particular watch had been freshly serviced by a Rolex Service Center (RSC) before I received it. It came complete with the original box, tag, GMT manual/booklet, and of course the 1yr Rolex warranty/service receipt. While at the RSC the watch received a new dial, hands, bezel insert, crown, oyster band, acrylic, and a good polish job to the original case. I felt as though I just received a brand new watch even though it's over 20 years old (circa approx 1984).

Click for high resolution pic

THE DIAL

The black Luminova dial is beautiful and easy to read. Each hour marker is outlined with 18k white gold, which is highly reflective and adds depth to the dial by giving the markers a raised appearance. The dial also reads 'Superlative Chronometer, Officially Certified'. This identifies that the watch was tested and approved as a certified chronometer by the Controle Officiel Suisse des Chronometres (COSC). This assures the buyer that the watch is accurate to -4/+6 seconds/day. My GMT has been extremely accurate. I've owned this watch for 29 days and according to www.time.gov it's only gained 13 seconds! This is less than 1/2 second/day. I'm extremely pleased with this outcome. The four hands (hour, minutes, seconds, 24hr) are also outlined in 18k white gold and are easily seen against the black dial. The hands as well as the hour markers have a decent lume (glow) making time reading in the dark an easy task.

THE DATE

As with many Rolex watches the GMT-Master has a date feature, therefore the dial reads 'Oyster Perpetual Date' just beneath the Rolex logo. Having the date on the dial is an invaluable tool for me, as I never seem to know what day it is. The date is magnified by the acrylic cyclopse by 21/2X. The 16750 also has the quick-set feature, which enables you to set the date without having to adjust the minutes and hour hands.

THE CRYSTAL

The GMT-Master 16750 was outfitted with an acrylic crystal. Compared to sapphire, acrylic scratches much easier. I use a polishing cloth to regularly clean the acrylic of smudges and fingerprints - this has worked quite well. I wouldn't recommend using any other materials to clean the acrylic (eg: t-shirt, papertowel, washcloth, etc.) as these will leave fine scratches behind. I also love the raised/thick appearance of the vintage acrylic... they don't come like this anymore!

THE 24 HOUR BEZEL

You're probably already aware that the GMT is capable of displaying two different time zones. The 24hr bezel is easy to read and understand. It rotates both in the CW and CCW direction. One feature I really enjoy about the GMT bezel is the ability to 'swap' bezel inserts. Within 15 minutes you can go from a black GMT to a Pepsi (red/blue) GMT!

THE CROWN

As stated in many other GMT reviews, the crown is simply too small. Unless you have small hands unscrewing the crown is a bit inconvenient. Also, the surrounding crown-guards don't make the task any easier. It's certianly not a deal breaker, but it is worth mentioning.

THE BAND

My GMT 16750 came with the stainless steel (SS) Oyster band, which is my personal favorite. It's flexible, comfortable, and very attractive. The clasp is easy to operate and feels solid/strong. It's nice not having to worry about my 'baby' falling off of my wrist. The original Rolex band can be easily removed (yes, there are advantages to having open lugs) and swaped with other bands or straps.

WATER RESISTANCE

The GMT 16750 is capable of diving to 100 meters/330 feet. Since I live on the Florida coast, it's a must to have a water proof watch. My GMT frequents swimming pools, lakes, and will be used occasionally for snorkeling and other ocean related play. There's not many places I'm not willing to take this watch.

FINAL COMMENTS

Go buy this watch righ now! Seriously, this is a great timepiece - a Rolex classic. I've been very pleased with this watch over the past month and I plan on wearing this watch for many years to come. I never thought owning a watch could be so rewarding - IT CAN!
Member #471

Last edited by colemanitis; 7 July 2006 at 09:40 AM..
colemanitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2006, 12:10 PM   #2
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Very nice Thanks for the review
Old 30 June 2006, 01:00 PM   #3
mailman
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Great pics and review. Thanks
mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2006, 05:05 PM   #4
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Excellent review, Jeff...thanks!!

Errr...just 2 things:

1. All Rolex cyclops magnification is 2½ times and not 3.

2. I notice you have 6 links on each side of your bracelet. Correct me if I'm wrong, but is your clasp centralised in the middle of your wrist with this link configuration? I'd be surprised if it is!!

Try this: Place 7 links on the '12' side and only 5 links on the '6' side. With this new arrangement, the clasp will centralise prefectly when you flick your wrist around. Remember, you must always have more links on the '12' side than the '6' in order to get a perfect, centralised fit like this....

Let me know how it works out!!

Cheers - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2006, 08:51 PM   #5
colemanitis
"TRF" Member

Thanks JJ. I corrected the magnification to 2 1/2. I'll also take a look at the bracelet.
Member #471
Old 1 July 2006, 12:01 AM   #6
mike
"TRF" Member

Great review!!
I agree the 16750 gives one the best of all worlds, the vintage look with modern features.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2006, 12:11 AM   #7
AJC
"TRF" Member

Nice read and great pictures.

Aaron
AJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2006, 12:12 AM   #8
GMTIIPilot

Watch: Rolex GMT II
great review and great watch.....
GMTIIPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2006, 01:30 AM   #9
topher

Watch: GMT Master II
A beautiful watch and nice review. Really enjoyed all the shots.
topher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2006, 03:51 AM   #10
mike
"TRF" Member

I just noticed in the part about the 24 hr. bezel insert. I'm not sure a Red/ Black insert will work on the 16750,unless they make a special one for the 1675/16750.

The 1675/16750 have an I.D. of 30.2 and an O.D. of 27.75mm
The 16700/16760/16710 have an I.D. 30.7 and an O.D. of 37.65mm.

The Red/Black made it's introduction on the latter model.
Old 1 July 2006, 04:01 AM   #11
colemanitis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
I just noticed in the part about the 24 hr. bezel insert. I'm not sure a Red/ Black insert will work on the 16750,unless they make a special one for the 1675/16750.

The 1675/16750 have an I.D. of 30.2 and an O.D. of 27.75mm
The 16700/16760/16710 have an I.D. 30.7 and an O.D. of 37.65mm.

The Red/Black made it's introduction on the latter model.
Thanks for the info Mike! This would explain why I can't find a black/red bezel for my GMT. I'll remove mention of this insert from the review.
Member #471
Old 1 July 2006, 06:20 AM   #12
colemanitis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Try this: Place 7 links on the '12' side and only 5 links on the '6' side. With this new arrangement, the clasp will centralise prefectly when you flick your wrist around.
JJ, I swung by my AD on the way home and had them adjust the bracelet. They did what you said, 7 links at 12:00 and 5 links at 6:00. I also had them tighten it a notch at the clasp. It fits like a charm now, the watch is no longer trying to crawl to the other side of my wrist.
Member #471
Old 1 July 2006, 06:33 AM   #13
Rockrolex

Watch: What do you think?
Thanks for that great review of my favorite watch, Jeff. I agree with you. It is a supurb timepiece and multifunctional as well as wearable justabout everywhere. You are spot on about its accuracy. Mine gains about the same amount as yours, if not less.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2006, 01:33 PM   #14
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemanitis View Post
JJ, I swung by my AD on the way home and had them adjust the bracelet. They did what you said, 7 links at 12:00 and 5 links at 6:00. I also had them tighten it a notch at the clasp. It fits like a charm now, the watch is no longer trying to crawl to the other side of my wrist.
Well done, Jeff. Now you will also notice a difference in the wearer comfort with this new (and correct) arrangement!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 1 July 2006, 07:30 PM   #15
mailman

I can't stop looking at your pics Jeff, especially the first one. That watch is beautiful
Old 2 July 2006, 07:54 AM   #16
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
Beautiful and loving review. You may use Brasso or a special paste for cell phone screens to polish the crystal. Or even tooth paste. The ability to remain within COSC specs becomes even more noteworthy if you realize that it is only the bare movement, stripped from even the date function that undergoes the tests. Yes, for the world traveler this has to be one of the most useful watches. The 100 meter waterproof sign is the most pessimistic value. I’ve seen testaments of other Rolexes that kept waterproof beyond trice their given depth rate, the crystal so much compressed that it almost touched the hands. If you realize this, Rolex becomes more than a mere jet-set accessory. It’s not a wimpy watch. It’s the watch I want to give to my daughter as she turns 18. It’ll last her a lifetime. No need for batteries either.
Old 2 July 2006, 10:16 AM   #17
colemanitis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwatch View Post
The 100 meter waterproof sign is the most pessimistic value. I’ve seen testaments of other Rolexes that kept waterproof beyond trice their given depth rate, the crystal so much compressed that it almost touched the hands.
That's amazing stuff!
Member #471
Old 2 July 2006, 06:44 PM   #18
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Excellent review Jeff stunning pictures

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2006, 11:58 PM   #19
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The 100 meter waterproof sign is the most pessimistic value. I’ve seen testaments of other Rolexes that kept waterproof beyond trice their given depth rate, the crystal so much compressed that it almost touched the hands.
Indeed, Rolex tends to be very conservative in it's WR ratings. I'm aware of one individual that had his YM tested to 300m with no problems.
Old 3 July 2006, 04:44 AM   #20
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Indeed, Rolex tends to be very conservative in it's WR ratings. I'm aware of one individual that had his YM tested to 300m with no problems.
Sorry, Mike, but why would a YM with a TRIPLOCK crown have any problems at 300 m?

Old 3 July 2006, 11:53 AM   #21
colemanitis
"TRF" Member

I added a few new pics under the '24 Hour Bezel' section.
Member #471
Old 3 July 2006, 06:23 PM   #22
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sorry, Mike, but why would a YM with a TRIPLOCK crown have any problems at 300 m?
That was exactly his question as the YM is rated by Rolex to only 100m. The conclusion was that Rolex simply wanted a distinction between it's dive watches and others.
Old 4 July 2006, 04:57 AM   #23
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
That was exactly his question as the YM is rated by Rolex to only 100m. The conclusion was that Rolex simply wanted a distinction between it's dive watches and others.
Fair enough, Mike. Thanks!

Old 4 July 2006, 05:08 AM   #24
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
Quote:
Fair enough, Mike. Thanks!
You know you've got quality on your wrist JJ! It's of little consequence of course, the difference between a 100 and 300 meters in a non dive watch. But still. They’ve got that part of the equation right!
Old 4 July 2006, 05:09 AM   #25
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
You know you've got quality on your wrist JJ! It's of little consequence of course, the difference between a 100 and 300 meters in a non dive watch. But still. They’ve got that part of the equation right!
I always have quality on my wrist....I wear a Rolex don't I?

Old 4 July 2006, 09:04 AM   #26
mailman

Quote:
I always have quality on my wrist....I wear a Rolex don't I?
Even though there's other quality brands also JJ, yep
Old 7 July 2006, 09:41 AM   #27
colemanitis
"TRF" Member

I added a new pic (NATO band) under the 'Band' section.
Member #471
Old 25 July 2006, 08:15 PM   #28
clogz
"TRF" Member

clogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2006, 04:39 PM   #29
Lol-x
Facilitator

Cool review, but I would have liked you to have given it a score out of 10 overall and for different aspects of the timepiece. Maybe you could edit your review by inserting these into the end.

I had a 16750 but gave it to my brother who just told me from Malaysia that after 3 years it is running perfectly.
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2006, 10:52 AM   #30
amanda
Banned

Thanks colemantis... I want one, I think I have decided that the 16750 is for me, I like the wg surrounds on the markers... its magnificent... and the black bezel gives the watch a total new look, however, the pepsi is my fav!
amanda is offline   Reply With Quote