The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 2 August 2009, 04:49 AM   #1
DimSum
"TRF" Member

Birth year Sub

Hello People -
After reading many of your posts, I find myself considering a vintage non date sub from my birth year (1973.) I am planning on wearing this watch regularly so, I am not very concerned about it being in Pristine condition. I would love to have the boxes and papers for it tho. How hard would it be to try to find some thing like this and what can I expect to budget? Also - Where would be a good place to start my search? Any thoughts, insights and comments would be helpful.

Thanks a bunch,

DS
DimSum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2009, 06:26 AM   #2
SLS
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT's & Sub's
Won't take long to find a 5513 from then, the B & P make slow you down a bit though. Depending on condition of the watch, I would expect to budget around $5K USD. Look here, vintagerolexforum, timezone and watchnet. Good luck!
Scott

Member No. 922
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2009, 07:02 AM   #3
DimSum
"TRF" Member

Thanks Scott -
Much appreciated - I suppose as long as it is authentic and verifiable, I don't really need the box and papers...Is there any particular model that would stand out (showing my newbness here) - like Red Lettering, Military Dials etc? It would be great if folks would post picts of their 1973 subs here as well - I would love to see them!!!
Thanks,
DS
Old 2 August 2009, 09:16 AM   #4
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
1973 Sub 5513

Here is my 1972/73 vintage 5513 Submariner. (It also has the seahorse box which I forgot to add in the photo.) A nice, original example from the early 1970's with box, papers and accessories will run you much more than $5000. I'd say closer to $7 to $8,000 based on condition. I value mine at over $8,000.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg modified.jpg (57.1 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg 5513 018.aa.jpg (65.9 KB, 112 views)

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2009, 09:28 AM   #5
SLS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Here is my 1972/73 vintage 5513 Submariner. A nice, original example from the early 1970's with box, papers and accessories will run you much more than $5000. I'd say closer to $7 to $8,000 based on condition. I value mine at over $8,000.
That's a nice example John, but IMO prices have come down quite a bit on these. I am trying to find the post, but recently a 5512 sold for around $6K USD with B & P.... so I was kind of using that as a basis. As always, a nice piece with all the goodies will still demand a premium.
Scott

Member No. 922
Old 2 August 2009, 02:29 PM   #6
springer
2024 Pledge Member

You are correct, they have come down in price. That's why mine is only valued at $8000 at not more. Also, I don't see the same value with 5512's as 5513's. The 5512 you speak of, what year was it, how original was it, what condition was it in, and how many accessories came with it? These all greatly affect the value. Quality watches are still bringing quality prices - especially complete packages.

Anyhow, if you find one as nice and complete as mine for $6,000, I'm a buyer.

Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
Old 2 August 2009, 03:07 PM   #7
boomtime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710,116500, DJ
Funny finding this threat I'm thinking of diving into the game, and thought getting a watch from the year I was born would be a nice way to build some history with a "new" to me watch. Any recommendations between '87 Subs or GMTs?
boomtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2009, 12:36 AM   #8
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtime View Post
Funny finding this threat I'm thinking of diving into the game, and thought getting a watch from the year I was born would be a nice way to build some history with a "new" to me watch. Any recommendations between '87 Subs or GMTs?
You'll have a couple choices in the GMT's. Both the GMT 16750 model with a quick-set date and acrylic crystal and the GMT II 16760 "fat lady" with sapphire crystal were available during 1987. (1987 was probably the last, or close to the last, year of production for the 16750 GMT.)

The "fat lady" had a thicker case than the 16750 and the GMT II model that replaced it - the 16710. Also the 16750 could be adjusted to indicate two time zones, and the "fat lady" and 16710 GMT II's could be adjusted to indicate three time zones.

The Submariner model 16800, with date, was also available in 1987 - which preceded the current Submariner model 16610 by a few years before it would be introduced. Also available were the non-date Submariners, the 5513 and 5512.

I would go with a GMT, but whatever you choose, you can't go wrong.

Old 3 August 2009, 12:56 AM   #9
DimSum
"TRF" Member

Hi Guys -
Thanks for the great info and Springer - Your 1973 Sub is AWESOME!!! -
Does anyone know which model Subs were made in 1973? I know that there is the 5513, but were there any Red Subs, Military Subs made in that year as well? If so - What were the model numbers? Do I have any other choices for that year?
Best,
DS
Old 3 August 2009, 07:31 AM   #10
SLS
"TRF" Member

Icon12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSum View Post
Hi Guys -
Thanks for the great info and Springer - Your 1973 Sub is AWESOME!!! -
Does anyone know which model Subs were made in 1973? I know that there is the 5513, but were there any Red Subs, Military Subs made in that year as well? If so - What were the model numbers? Do I have any other choices for that year?
Best,
DS
Well, there is the 1680, which would be a Red Sub Date.
Scott

Member No. 922