The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 3 January 2021, 01:06 PM   #151
indianmachine
"TRF" Member

I reached out to archives@tiffany.com to learn more about this service, and unfortunately it looks like a serial number won't be included on any output. From my exchange with them:

"Please see attached for the necessary paperwork to schedule your Commissioned Research Request for your Rolex.

Please note that our Commissioned Research for Watches includes a Certificate of the Research completed, which does not validate the authenticity of the Watch. The Watch Certificate will not include the Serial Number of the watch being researched, but will outline the Watch Title, Model Name, and Reference Number and be accompanied by the Archive’s official seal and signature of our Head Archivist.

If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach back out. Thank you again for your interest in Tiffany & Co.’s history, and have a lovely holiday season.
"
indianmachine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2021, 01:11 PM   #152
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Lol, does not validate authenticity.....it’s not worth the paper it’s printed on then
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2021, 01:21 PM   #153
TimeLord2
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1665fan View Post
Lol, does not validate authenticity.....it’s not worth the paper it’s printed on then
I would have to agree with that summation. Or in other words, Tiffany branded toilet paper. $1,000 a roll!
TimeLord2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2021, 01:27 PM   #154
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Are you saying you haven't repeatedly claimed Rolex verifies every Tiffany co-brand it services? You have provided proof? What proof have you provided your claim is true?

Any actual collector knows gray dealers have been around about as long as ADs have. It says a lot about your actual experience to make that claim. :) Troll? Are you saying I called you a troll? As with all your other assertions let's see some proof. :)
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2021, 01:44 PM   #155
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Carver View Post
Are you saying you haven't repeatedly claimed Rolex verifies every Tiffany co-brand it services? You have provided proof? What proof have you provided your claim is true?

Any actual collector knows gray dealers have been around about as long as ADs have. It says a lot about your actual experience to make that claim. :) Troll? Are you saying I called you a troll? As with all your other assertions let's see some proof. :)
He didn't claim YOU called him a troll. He was responding to Joli160's post: "Just let it go Richard, don’t feed the trolls." which was aimed at him.
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2021, 02:03 PM   #156
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I have no reason to believe Rolex would service a watch with dials of questionable origin if they were not able to verify their authenticity, I however have never claimed to have proof of this in practice. you have stated numerous times that Rolex has serviced thousands of these fake tiffany & co stamped dials, and I can't find proof of any of these instances. just one documented case would be enough for me to completely recant my beliefs. I'd love my beliefs to be proven wrong, but unfortunately that would require you to substantiate your claims.
330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2021, 02:45 PM   #157
baumare
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1675/8
Quote:
Originally Posted by indianmachine View Post
I reached out to archives@tiffany.com to learn more about this service, and unfortunately it looks like a serial number won't be included on any output. From my exchange with them:

"Please see attached for the necessary paperwork to schedule your Commissioned Research Request for your Rolex.

Please note that our Commissioned Research for Watches includes a Certificate of the Research completed, which does not validate the authenticity of the Watch. The Watch Certificate will not include the Serial Number of the watch being researched, but will outline the Watch Title, Model Name, and Reference Number and be accompanied by the Archive’s official seal and signature of our Head Archivist.

If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach back out. Thank you again for your interest in Tiffany & Co.’s history, and have a lovely holiday season.
"
That's good, at least you got an answer, I haven't hear from them yet.
Why you think they're not including the serial number? Without It's even more dangerous because it could be attached to any watch with the same model and reference...
The Phillip Auction certificate came with the serial number written on it, I'm wondering if they already change policy...
baumare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2021, 07:14 PM   #158
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ci View Post
I have no reason to believe Rolex would service a watch with dials of questionable origin if they were not able to verify their authenticity, I however have never claimed to have proof of this in practice. you have stated numerous times that Rolex has serviced thousands of these fake tiffany & co stamped dials, and I can't find proof of any of these instances. just one documented case would be enough for me to completely recant my beliefs. I'd love my beliefs to be proven wrong, but unfortunately that would require you to substantiate your claims.
LOL,so your 'belief' is your proof? Apparently even Tiffany won't actually provide a serial number to substantiate it's one of theirs when they take your 1000 bucks but you think Rolex can do it. Here's econ 101 for you, when the dealer pays Rolex for their shipment those watches belong to the dealer. Rolex' wishes can't supplant the law of the land, shocking I know :)

I know you keep ducking this because it proves you have no idea what you're talking about but the long time existence of the gray market proves once those watches become property of the AD Rolex no longer has control and has no idea how those watches are sold..

If Rolex could do what you 'believe' there would be no gray market. :)
Old 3 January 2021, 09:00 PM   #159
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Rolex Tiffany Archive Papers

What happens to a watch that is sent to Rolex for service that has had a dial swap? If someone were to say, pick up an authentic dial from a third party (not RSC) and replace it wouldn’t Rolex still service the watch if the dial was both authentic and NOT original to that watch? Or would they kick it back because the dial was swapped out without their “knowledge or consent”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2021, 02:07 AM   #160
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by indianmachine View Post

Weird. The Tiffany archive paperwork for the Daytona auctioned by Phillips clearly includes a serial number (see photo posted way back at the beginning of the thread). Wonder what Tiffany would say if you pointed that out and emailed them a photo of the paperwork they provided to Phillips.

In terms of Tiffany’s inability to confirm actual authenticity of a watch, that makes total sense. They’d be able to confirm that a vintage Tiffany-branded Rolex was sold by them, but they wouldn’t know what’s happened to the watch in the decades since that time, whether parts/movement etc... were swapped with other parts, for example. Tiffany doesn’t get the watch in hand to inspect. They’d just research whether they once sold it based on serial and reference numbers. Authenticating a Rolex and its parts is a different matter.
swish77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2021, 02:11 AM   #161
baumare
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post
What happens to a watch that is sent to Rolex for service that has had a dial swap? If someone were to say, pick up an authentic dial from a third party (not RSC) and replace it wouldn’t Rolex still service the watch if the dial was both authentic and NOT original to that watch? Or would they kick it back because the dial was swapped out without their “knowledge or consent”?

They will service as long as it is an original dial, there are no numbers on the dial itself that can be associated with a particular watch. Even RSC used to swap dial at buyer request
Old 4 January 2021, 02:27 AM   #162
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
LOL,so your 'belief' is your proof? Apparently even Tiffany won't actually provide a serial number to substantiate it's one of theirs when they take your 1000 bucks but you think Rolex can do it. Here's econ 101 for you, when the dealer pays Rolex for their shipment those watches belong to the dealer. Rolex' wishes can't supplant the law of the land, shocking I know :)

I know you keep ducking this because it proves you have no idea what you're talking about but the long time existence of the gray market proves once those watches become property of the AD Rolex no longer has control and has no idea how those watches are sold..

If Rolex could do what you 'believe' there would be no gray market. :)
I think the concept your failing to grasp here is that without proof, everything you've said is nothing but your beliefs either. and you expect me to believe that your beliefs are truth without backing up any of your claims.

it's well known Rolex won't service modified or aftermarket parts on their watches.
it's fraud/illegal to stamp Tiffany & co if it wasn't done by an authorized retailer.
Rolex servicing illegally stamped watches versus changing dials seems pretty logical. Why would this be the only modification they allow people to do to their watch?(other than caseback inscriptions which have been commonplace on watches back to the 1700's from what i've seen)

my beliefs would have no effect on the grey market. The grey market has to do with new goods purchased from a retailer, sold at either a discount or in modern times for profit. how Tiffany and Co dispersed their product after arrival to their facilities is irrelevant to this conversation entirely.
Old 4 January 2021, 02:30 AM   #163
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rolex-x-Tif...4AAOSwQC1f3YLe

not sure, but this one's likely authentic, slightly damaged so i imagine they would request replacement if sent in, I don't believe they will service 1603's anymore either, but this theory would be fairly easy to test out if someone felt like blowing a few thousand dollars.
Old 4 January 2021, 02:36 AM   #164
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
Unless you have a Rolex warrantee paper that cites your ‘tiffany’ dial, I say it is BS. What stops me from servicing my 1601 with a rsc, then using my nice Bergeron tools, open the back, remove the movement and insert my ‘tiffany’ dial?

Nothing.

In fact, that is exactly what has happened routinely. without robust provenance that describes the item exactly, you have absolutely nothing.

I think you should enjoy your tiffany dialed watch, but be prepared for a tough sell when you get bored with it.
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2021, 02:45 AM   #165
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry in montreal View Post
Unless you have a Rolex warrantee paper that cites your ‘tiffany’ dial, I say it is BS. What stops me from servicing my 1601 with a rsc, then using my nice Bergeron tools, open the back, remove the movement and insert my ‘tiffany’ dial?

Nothing.

In fact, that is exactly what has happened routinely. without robust provenance that describes the item exactly, you have absolutely nothing.

I think you should enjoy your tiffany dialed watch, but be prepared for a tough sell when you get bored with it.
Agree, after all this back and forth it's safe to say no serious watch person is going to premium up for a T dialed Rolex without proper papers. A service receipt from RSC stating the watch was serviced means nothing with regards to a T stamp.
Old 4 January 2021, 03:13 AM   #166
baumare
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Nothing.

I completely agree with you, and as you said I'm ready to a tough sell in case I want to get rid off it, actually my Seadweller is so beautiful and with a nice patina, that often I regret the T stamp on the dial.
Having said that, if by any miracle RSC was "hypothetically" able to tell me in writing (I know, impossible...:( that that particular serial number was indeed originally sent to Tiffany, the situation will be different in my eye/opinion.

As I said this is all hypothetical because Rolex will never tell me that, even though I believe they have record of what when where, but not where the watch was actually sold because of the AD trading/exchange
Old 4 January 2021, 03:15 AM   #167
miamiclay
2024 Pledge Member

“The Watch Certificate will not include the Serial Number of the watch being researched”

This from Tiffany is utterly illogical. Without the serial number, all any Tiffany Watch Certificate is saying is “Tiffany sold some Rolex Submariners”? (or Day-Dates, or whatever)

Everyone already knows that much, and it requires no research by Tiffany. If they are researching the watch by serial number, why not put that number on their certificate? I can certainly understand their being unwilling to authenticate any particular Tiffany dial *stamp*, but this is just bizarre.
miamiclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2021, 04:31 AM   #168
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
I’m just bitter at the quantity of fake Tudor subs being sold on eBay from japan. Sorry if I appear cranky. I along with Richard create lots ofposts on here just to spread the word of reason ans hope others don’t get ripped off. Seems like there are a few people like 330 who understand their T dial and this is what counts. I just get disgusted at people selling fake junk for big bucks. We can all debate this on a logical or semi intellectual level without much success. I just would like to prevent the little guy from paying an extra $2k for that label if he doesn’t understand how easy it is to create it unscrupulously
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2021, 06:42 AM   #169
baumare
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I along with Richard create lots ofposts on here just to spread the word of reason ans hope others don’t get ripped off.
I definitely give you guys credit, if I just knew about the Forum and read discussion like this before, I wouldn't have bought it...
Old 4 January 2021, 08:51 AM   #170
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ci View Post
I think the concept your failing to grasp here is that without proof, everything you've said is nothing but your beliefs either. and you expect me to believe that your beliefs are truth without backing up any of your claims.

it's well known Rolex won't service modified or aftermarket parts on their watches.
it's fraud/illegal to stamp Tiffany & co if it wasn't done by an authorized retailer.
Rolex servicing illegally stamped watches versus changing dials seems pretty logical. Why would this be the only modification they allow people to do to their watch?(other than caseback inscriptions which have been commonplace on watches back to the 1700's from what i've seen)

my beliefs would have no effect on the grey market. The grey market has to do with new goods purchased from a retailer, sold at either a discount or in modern times for profit. how Tiffany and Co dispersed their product after arrival to their facilities is irrelevant to this conversation entirely.
Proof? How about 30 years of it never happening? No one has ever complained Rolex wouldn't service their Tiffany stamped watch and no one has stepped forward with an estimate refusing to service a Tiffany stamped watch.

The danger you present is the likelihood of another noob like you believing what you have repeatedly stated and paying a big premium for a Rolex serviced watch with a Tiffany stamped dial that may even have been placed in the watch after the service, no way to tell.

It would be hilarious if you got sued every year or so by someone who believed you until he tried to sell his "Rolex approved Tiffany dial" because of your adamant assurances throughout this thread. ;)

Good luck. :)
Old 5 December 2021, 07:11 PM   #171
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Proof? How about 30 years of it never happening? No one has ever complained Rolex wouldn't service their Tiffany stamped watch and no one has stepped forward with an estimate refusing to service a Tiffany stamped watch.

The danger you present is the likelihood of another noob like you believing what you have repeatedly stated and paying a big premium for a Rolex serviced watch with a Tiffany stamped dial that may even have been placed in the watch after the service, no way to tell.

It would be hilarious if you got sued every year or so by someone who believed you until he tried to sell his "Rolex approved Tiffany dial" because of your adamant assurances throughout this thread. ;)

Good luck. :)

My adamant assurances? Mr.Carver, you're delusional.
I shared my beliefs, which don't align with yours. However somehow you've believed your BS longer so somehow that makes it more truthful .

You haven't shown evidence of 1 known fake Tiffany stamping being serviced by Rolex and are now falling back on some argument that people are swapping dials after being serviced by Rolex which is an entire different issue and has nothing to do with Rolex servicing authentic Tiffany dials or not.

Hell id love to see the thread about the dealer stamping watches with Tiffany and selling for a profit.

Clearly you're not capable of critical thinking, so I'll leave it at that. But if you think you're out here saving people thousands, you're wrong. I could've made a killing buying and selling Tiffany dials over the past 10 years had I not listened to morons like you

30 years of something not happening in your observation isn't proof btw.
From where I'm sitting you hardly seem to be the most observant person.
Old 13 August 2022, 03:24 AM   #172
SVC
Banned

I know this was quite a contentious thread from several months ago, and while it's been a little while, I did discover something that I thought would be worth a belated thread bump.

I'd love your thoughts on this discovery, but it appears that on at least some occasions, RSC goes on the record with stating that a model has a Tiffany dial? (See the below).

Granted, there's always the possibility that service documents could have been faked, but given how easy it would be to determine whether or not a watch actually had an RSC service, it feels like unlikely to me that either a dealer or private seller would try that approach? (Or maybe people are less astute than I think they are. )

Link to the C24 listing / full gallery here, for anyone who wants to peruse and provide feedback: https://www.chrono24.com/rolex/rolex...-id5827543.htm
SVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2022, 03:31 AM   #173
dhknola
"TRF" Member

I would be quite cautious on this one...Love the blurred out photo of the evidence it's Tiffany.
dhknola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2022, 03:45 AM   #174
SVC
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhknola View Post
I would be quite cautious on this one...Love the blurred out photo of the evidence it's Tiffany.
Yes, definitely an interesting effect... let me see if I get anywhere asking about the RSC invoice.
SVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2022, 04:10 PM   #175
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
I call bs

GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2022, 12:57 PM   #176
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Rolex Tiffany Archive Papers

Rolex maybe able to authenticate the dial but not that the watch was original to Tiffany’s. The paperwork needed would be a warranty that has the serial number and names Tiffany and Co. as the authorized jeweler. I would be cautious and likely pass on this.

Old 26 August 2022, 03:53 AM   #177
Xeramic
"TRF" Member

That particular Tiffany font doesn't exist; further, it's a service dial - never seen any with a genuine Tiffany-branding; and finally, the SWISS only tells you it's from the late 90's, while Rolex stopped the partnership with Tiffany somewhen in the first half of the 90's - so, how could it be that Tiffany printed it...

Greetings,
Xeramic
Xeramic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2022, 06:49 AM   #178
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeramic View Post
That particular Tiffany font doesn't exist; further, it's a service dial - never seen any with a genuine Tiffany-branding; and finally, the SWISS only tells you it's from the late 90's, while Rolex stopped the partnership with Tiffany somewhen in the first half of the 90's - so, how could it be that Tiffany printed it...

Greetings,
Xeramic

So you're saying it's one of a kind