The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 23 January 2021, 01:46 PM   #1
2x4
"TRF" Member

Watch: Skydweller
Why no love for Victoronix?

Both of my sons are not really into watches, but can afford about anything they want. Would like to get them something to see if it lights a spark. Both are outdoors and rugged type boys, i say boys, the are early thirties.
This brand intrigued me and could be an easy sell to them to start a collection.

I’m also intrigued by the Oris and some of the Seiko's are very attractive.

What say ye?
GMT II
2x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 02:41 PM   #2
JWD531
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLNR
I never liked the Victorinox design for me, but thought it was a good fit for others. Oris on the other hand (specifically the Aquus) seemed way too big for anyone, even though it looks good in pictures. I like the Seiko watches better but Presage or SKX better than the larger/newer “turtles” and whatnot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JWD531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 03:10 PM   #3
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
Always liked their basic field watch, but once you start looking at a diver or chronograph, there are other brands that offer more.
Old 23 January 2021, 03:20 PM   #4
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
I went through 3 or 4 mechanical watches with my son and he ended up settling on an Apple Watch and absolutely loves it. He’s 11.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 06:36 PM   #5
330ci
"TRF" Member

All my luggage is Victorinox, I carry a Victorinox messenger bag as much as my Tumi briefcase, have a Victorinox hiking backpack, pretty much every one of their army multi tool variants, etc. huge Victorinox fan. But have only owned one of their watches and while it was well made, just seemed like a bit of an overreach for the brand.

FWIW I’m a few years younger than your sons and at the price point of Victorinox id look into luminox. Extremely rugged, amazing tritium tube Lume, worn by military members and outdoorsman worldwide. Really cool watches for the price IMO
330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 06:46 PM   #6
BumbleB
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you
I had a Victorinox for my son and it’s a beautiful ‘rugged’ looking watch.

The strap has broken 4 times now, the batteries had to be changed so often that we can’t open the back anymore because of the damaged screw and the compass has stopped working...

We both wished it would work but it’s probably cheaper in the long-term to buy a better quality brand. Better go for a high end G-shock or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
♛ Milgauss 116400GV ♛ Deepsea D-Blue 116660 ♛ Submariner 114060 ♛ Submariner 116613LN ♛ Exp. II black 216570 ♛ Exp. II white 226570 ♛ Sky Dweller white 326933 ♛ Sky Dweller Blue 326934 ♛ GMT II 116710 black ♛ GMT II 126710BLRO ♛ GMT II 126711CHNR ♛ GMT II 126710BLNR ♛ Daytona 116509 ♛ DD40 228238 H HUBLOT BIG BANG e ceramic C CHANEL J12 3125 AP 3120 MVT
BumbleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 07:19 PM   #7
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

I have two Victorinox watches and like them a lot. However, I’ll echo 330ci’s recommendation of Luminox. Very cool, tough watches. Mine still gets a lot of wrist time even after 10 years of ownership.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote