The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 15 November 2017, 05:15 AM   #1
temptones1
"TRF" Member

Rivet bracelet..Is it GEN ?

I was given a Rivet bracelet by someone who found it in a drawer. They are NOT watch people or collectors. It had no end links and it had one link near the clasp that was missing a rivet. I fixed it up, bought end links, They were not the correct ones but still fit. I would like to know if there is any way to tell if this is a genuine bracelet or a replica . I have pictures here to help.Please E-mail me at :temptones1@verizon.net if you have any info.
The link at the lug is labeled "7635" and the end link, though not gen says "455.
The clasp says"Registered Swiss Made DE 6 and STEELINOX 93250" see pix again...
Can anyone tell me anything about this bracelet? The clasp is very nicely made.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Poss Gen Rivet (2).jpg (234.0 KB, 518 views)
File Type: jpg Poss Gen Rivet (3).jpg (159.9 KB, 514 views)
File Type: jpg Poss GEN.jpg (88.9 KB, 518 views)
Old 15 November 2017, 08:42 AM   #2
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

fake - both bracelet and the clasp and the endlink
Old 15 November 2017, 10:39 AM   #3
Vlad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayshere View Post
fake - both bracelet and the clasp and the endlink
+1
Old 15 November 2017, 11:41 AM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Nothing authentic about it.. not even the end links that you got separately.
Old 15 November 2017, 02:13 PM   #5
temptones1
"TRF" Member

Okay, so please point out the things that show you it's a replica.I've looked at many gens and they look the same on many points. I know the end links are wrong because I bought them myself just so I could use the bracelet. I also don't have the knowledge to know exactly which end links would be correct for the bracelet and year especially if it is a Replica bracelet , so I am looking to the forum for help. Telling me it's "Fake" doesn't help.If your car isn't running and you bring it to a dealer for service, you ask what the problem is , and they tell you...It's broken..Did that help you ? I also have a lot of friends that wear Gen Rolexes of every description and most of them don't even know what model they're wearing, as long as it says Rolex and cost big bucks they're happy.. So lets not jump the gun.Not everyone that has a Rolex knows everything about Rolex from the beginning of time. I'm looking for education here.
Old 15 November 2017, 03:33 PM   #6
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptones1 View Post
Okay, so please point out the things that show you it's a replica.I've looked at many gens and they look the same on many points. I know the end links are wrong because I bought them myself just so I could use the bracelet. I also don't have the knowledge to know exactly which end links would be correct for the bracelet and year especially if it is a Replica bracelet , so I am looking to the forum for help. Telling me it's "Fake" doesn't help.If your car isn't running and you bring it to a dealer for service, you ask what the problem is , and they tell you...It's broken..Did that help you ? I also have a lot of friends that wear Gen Rolexes of every description and most of them don't even know what model they're wearing, as long as it says Rolex and cost big bucks they're happy.. So lets not jump the gun.Not everyone that has a Rolex knows everything about Rolex from the beginning of time. I'm looking for education here.
So lets take a step back. Firstly, my understanding here is we generally dont talk too much about certain "flaws" as it gives ammo to the fakers which I think most would understand.

Parking the above aside for a moment though, I do question how much research you have done? a simple check of clasp code "93250" should tell you that its a modern oyster clasp that is well known fitted on Submariners but yours is fitted on a rivet bracelet... So thats your first red flag.

Lets talk about the bracelet, have you tried googling 7635 bracelet code? what does that yield you? my google search resulted no searches...Ok so thats a second red flag.

Now lets talk about the endlink that you bought, the 455b are two tone end links that fits jubilee style bracelets. See below pic. Does your end links look anything like these? aside from the overlarge poorly engraved 455b?

Old 16 November 2017, 04:01 AM   #7
mattedialdoc
"TRF" Member

Sorry buddy, it’s a bad fake. Classic “rep” world amalgam of gen appearing parts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 16 November 2017, 10:21 AM   #8
temptones1
"TRF" Member

Finally...Knowledge...Thank you.
The end links I bought are not nearly the same and I knew that..I just needed links to put it on the watch until I learned what the whole deal was. Next, The numbers...I did not look them up because I was not sure how to do that.
I looked at Gen Rolex rivet clasps and bracelets online and the ones I saw looked pretty much like what I have except for the end links. Mine does not have expansion spring loaded links. The rivet heads are dimpled and not domed as some were. The first thing I remember is that the rivet bracelet was not the bracelet that belonged on the Daytona Mark I. I'm fairly sure it just had a plain bracelet. So my further investigation was scoped toward looking at only the bracelet itself. I saw so many different cofigurations of Rivet bracelets it became quite confusing. Some were expanding link, some were not. Some had rivets that had removable heads, some not. One article said that to remove a link to size it, you had to destroy the link by opening it up to remove it. At that point I stopped my inquiry and figured, it really won't matter because nobody will ever look at it as closely as I do. I would not sell the bracelt without a disclaimer anyway to state I have no idea if it's real. So i'll just use it and enjoy it. I have 3 of them. One is all gold, a definite replica and the other two are similar even at the clasp and rivets so I guess i'll assume they are replicas. I know a great way to find out , I think...take it to an AD and show them. :)

The attached picture is a GENUINE rivet bracelet , at least it said it is. To me it looks like one of the expansion type...but the clasp looks like mine. The end links are definitely wrong on mine with a 455B on them and the bracelet has a 1635 on the first link after the lug link, NOT 7635.
I wrote that incorrectly and realized it when you said it here.

Both bracelets have the same clasp . The number on the other bracelet clasp is... G2523HC and bracelet is marked on the first center link 7206. I have no idea if these are real numbers or just on there to make it appear so.
I look forward to hearing from you more on this and thanks for your input. Great stuff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img58897345.jpg (66.6 KB, 367 views)
Old 16 November 2017, 11:34 AM   #9
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Finally...Knowledge...Thank you.
The end links I bought are not nearly the same and I knew that..I just needed links to put it on the watch until I learned what the whole deal was. Next, The numbers...I did not look them up because I was not sure how to do that.
I looked at Gen Rolex rivet clasps and bracelets online and the ones I saw looked pretty much like what I have except for the end links. Mine does not have expansion spring loaded links. The rivet heads are dimpled and not domed as some were. The first thing I remember is that the rivet bracelet was not the bracelet that belonged on the Daytona Mark I. I'm fairly sure it just had a plain bracelet. So my further investigation was scoped toward looking at only the bracelet itself. I saw so many different cofigurations of Rivet bracelets it became quite confusing. Some were expanding link, some were not. Some had rivets that had removable heads, some not. One article said that to remove a link to size it, you had to destroy the link by opening it up to remove it. At that point I stopped my inquiry and figured, it really won't matter because nobody will ever look at it as closely as I do. I would not sell the bracelt without a disclaimer anyway to state I have no idea if it's real. So i'll just use it and enjoy it. I have 3 of them. One is all gold, a definite replica and the other two are similar even at the clasp and rivets so I guess i'll assume they are replicas. I know a great way to find out , I think...take it to an AD and show them. :)

The attached picture is a GENUINE rivet bracelet , at least it said it is. To me it looks like one of the expansion type...but the clasp looks like mine. The end links are definitely wrong on mine with a 455B on them and the bracelet has a 1635 on the first link after the lug link, NOT 7635.
I wrote that incorrectly and realized it when you said it here.

Both bracelets have the same clasp . The number on the other bracelet clasp is... G2523HC and bracelet is marked on the first center link 7206. I have no idea if these are real numbers or just on there to make it appear so.
I look forward to hearing from you more on this and thanks for your input. Great stuff.
Here is a thread that I put together that identifies genuine Swiss rivet bracelets. It might be something you need to review before a future purchase.

https://rolexvintageforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=240

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
Old 16 November 2017, 11:38 AM   #10
temptones1
"TRF" Member

So here is what I found:
One watch has a rivet bracelet marked 1635 on the bracelet and 455B on the end link , which I know is incorrect and is an aftermarket link.The clasp says 93250 DE 6
This bracelet was given to me..It had no end links. I bought the ones marked 455B. I know they are wrong. The question is, is the bracelet a genuine one.

The other watch says:7206 on the bracelet and 80 on the end link. The clasp says G2523HC . PATED&REGISTERED The web site "Sweeping Hand" says it is a bracelet from a 6542 GMT
I olook forward to responses. Thanks.
Old 16 November 2017, 11:50 AM   #11
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

it feels like you are trying to look evidence to suggest this is genuine?

google rolex 1635 bracelet and tell us what you find......
Old 16 November 2017, 12:20 PM   #12
temptones1
"TRF" Member

Okay, will do.
Old 16 November 2017, 12:21 PM   #13
temptones1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Here is a thread that I put together that identifies genuine Swiss rivet bracelets. It might be something you need to review before a future purchase.

https://rolexvintageforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=240
Thank you....
Old 16 November 2017, 12:30 PM   #14
temptones1
"TRF" Member

My end link says 80 but no cutout. The 7206 is on both sides of the bracelet not just the one. AND, the rivet heads are not domed and smooth. They are dimpled.
So this now shows me it is NOT GENUINE. Thank you for the info.
Old 16 November 2017, 12:40 PM   #15
temptones1
"TRF" Member

Well, I found no number 1635 Rivet..Only 1675...and mine is stamped on the corner of the first link not on the center.. Also in the computer link that was sent to me,a note about the first 3 links being the same size..Mine are not. So , all in all. the info you guys supplied absolutely helped to I.D. these bracelets as Replicas.
I thank you for all the great info. At least I know what I have so if I do decide to sell either bracelet someday i'll do it right.
Thanks again...
Paul
Old 16 November 2017, 01:11 PM   #16
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Well, I found no number 1635 Rivet..Only 1675...and mine is stamped on the corner of the first link not on the center.. Also in the computer link that was sent to me,a note about the first 3 links being the same size..Mine are not. So , all in all. the info you guys supplied absolutely helped to I.D. these bracelets as Replicas.
I thank you for all the great info. At least I know what I have so if I do decide to sell either bracelet someday i'll do it right.
Thanks again...
Paul
Not a replica, we use the word FAKE
Old 16 November 2017, 11:17 PM   #17
sfc rick
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 Sub in white
Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
Not a replica, we use the word FAKE
I once walked into a Jeweler's shop and overheard the store clerk mention a "Replica Rolex" upon hearing that I said why not be truthful and say it's "Fake"? Of course I haven't been back to a "Replica" Jeweler's shop.

Now to be completely honest and disclose the facts, a couple of years ago I bought a 93150 fake bracelet from Ebay for $38 and took off my original bracelet to keep it safe until it was rebuilt. However it bothered me so much, I just bought a new 93150 from the Rolex AD. I knew that anyone looking at it on my wrist would have no clue it was Fake...But my conscience knew it was, so off it came. Since I bought an actual Rolex replacement bracelet I just offered the old 40 year bracelet for sale and it's moved on to another owner. I still have the old Fake bracelet in my safe and need to get rid of it soon.
Old 17 November 2017, 03:25 AM   #18
temptones1
"TRF" Member

OFFRD:
When you see a Shelby Cobra on the street is it a fake or a replica? It could be a real Shelby made recently. But it probably isn't an ORIGINAL one from the 60's.
Old 17 November 2017, 03:34 AM   #19
temptones1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfc rick View Post
I once walked into a Jeweler's shop and overheard the store clerk mention a "Replica Rolex" upon hearing that I said why not be truthful and say it's "Fake"? Of course I haven't been back to a "Replica" Jeweler's shop.

Now to be completely honest and disclose the facts, a couple of years ago I bought a 93150 fake bracelet from Ebay for $38 and took off my original bracelet to keep it safe until it was rebuilt. However it bothered me so much, I just bought a new 93150 from the Rolex AD. I knew that anyone looking at it on my wrist would have no clue it was Fake...But my conscience knew it was, so off it came. Since I bought an actual Rolex replacement bracelet I just offered the old 40 year bracelet for sale and it's moved on to another owner. I still have the old Fake bracelet in my safe and need to get rid of it soon.

That's actually funny. I have met many people that own Rolex watches and I have found that a large number of owners have no clue what they own or in some cases, how they function. As long as it says "ROLEX" and looks good , that's all they care about. Not many know what you know or what I know. Not many could identify a gen from a "Fake" if they had to. Many think they can...
Contrary to what some people believe, it takes a wealth of knowledge and experience to be well versed in Horology.There are "Fakes" out there that are so accurate you would have to open the back to know and then some actually have real Rolex movements too. The new ones are different steel and offer easier detection. But not often by just a short look. . Some Rolex owners often own Fakes so they don't put their prized pieces in danger of destruction or theft.
Old 17 November 2017, 04:11 AM   #20
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
That's actually funny. I have met many people that own Rolex watches and I have found that a large number of owners have no clue what they own or in some cases, how they function. As long as it says "ROLEX" and looks good , that's all they care about. Not many know what you know or what I know. Not many could identify a gen from a "Fake" if they had to. Many think they can...
Contrary to what some people believe, it takes a wealth of knowledge and experience to be well versed in Horology.There are "Fakes" out there that are so accurate you would have to open the back to know and then some actually have real Rolex movements too. The new ones are different steel and offer easier detection. But not often by just a short look. . Some Rolex owners often own Fakes so they don't put their prized pieces in danger of destruction or theft.
I know from having just read the thread about the 6542 currently being commented on that you own a fake (not sure why you keep putting it in quotes) 6542, but prefer to call it a replica. I'm aware that there's a huge population of people who DO call fake Rolexes replicas, and help support the market for them. But, espically here on this forum, they're called what they are: fakes.
Old 17 November 2017, 04:43 AM   #21
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Some Rolex owners often own Fakes so they don't put their prized pieces in danger of destruction or theft.
I've never met one
Old 17 November 2017, 04:57 AM   #22
1675-David
"TRF" Member

If you own a Rolex why on earth would you prefer to wear a fake, makes no sense, does not compute
Old 17 November 2017, 05:34 AM   #23
sfc rick
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 Sub in white
I'm sure many fake wearers use that excuse, my original is back home. However if even one Rolex owner sees the fake and knows it...no excuse would ever keep the wearer in good standing as a "Real Rolex owner"... and any respect by other Rolex owners goes away immediately.

It's a fine line... I couldn't rest until I made absolutely certain a genuine Rolex band was purchased. I even had the Rolex AD return all packaging and Rolex Invoice of the bracelet.

I'm sorry if this became an issue, but I applaud the original poster for trying to get accurate info.
Old 17 November 2017, 06:05 AM   #24
brockburst
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
That's actually funny. I have met many people Some Rolex owners often own Fakes so they don't put their prized pieces in danger of destruction or theft.
Just no.
Old 17 November 2017, 06:35 AM   #25
themaninblack
"TRF" Member

Okay it's a boring discussion but I'll get suckered in. Rolex is not a rare watch, why the hell would anyone want a fake? You can buy a lovely complete vintage Datejust for $3k a lovely new Oyster Perpetual for what? $5k. A watch you could proudly keep for life. Other behaviours are just childish.
Old 17 November 2017, 07:19 AM   #26
05carbondrz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent65 View Post
I've never met one
Me either,Most vintage collectors are sticklers for the details...Everything must be not only authentic but period correct/original.
Old 17 November 2017, 08:18 AM   #27
JnmEaton
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18038 Presidential
i sometimes wear "cheap" shirts to allow me to enjoy my "expensive" silk shirts longer.... you get my point right?

the logic is ludacris.
Old 17 November 2017, 08:45 AM   #28
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Sorry.. This thread has devolved into a "fake" discussion... closed
Closed Thread