The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 13 March 2023, 11:24 PM   #31
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtButt View Post
Share what you're getting!
It is a Little Lange One moonphase with aventurine dial. I originally ordered this with an AD with a modest discount as soon as it was announced. About 9 months in, the AD informed me that he was not able to get the watch from Lange anymore. Worse yet, by that time, Lange has stopped taking in new orders due to production issue. So I contacted SCP Lange and they took my name and contacted me just back in January when ordering resumed. If I had gone to the boutique directly, we would have the watch for over a year already and avoided the two price hikes. The boutique told me if I want to avoid he March 19 price hike, I will need to pay in full before then.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2023, 02:08 AM   #32
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
It is a Little Lange One moonphase with aventurine dial. I originally ordered this with an AD with a modest discount as soon as it was announced. About 9 months in, the AD informed me that he was not able to get the watch from Lange anymore. Worse yet, by that time, Lange has stopped taking in new orders due to production issue. So I contacted SCP Lange and they took my name and contacted me just back in January when ordering resumed. If I had gone to the boutique directly, we would have the watch for over a year already and avoided the two price hikes. The boutique told me if I want to avoid he March 19 price hike, I will need to pay in full before then.
That will be really nice, I love those dials.

These price hikes are getting ridiculous, I wouldn’t be surprised if the difference would be enough to buy a new Rolex
ButtButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2023, 02:15 AM   #33
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Not sure how cutting production, raising prices and a no discount policy will negatively effect the secondary!
Been asking awhile of my Lange folks what production is and they keep saying 4000 to 5000 a year. Haven't heard of any production cuts, can you elaborate?
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2023, 02:31 AM   #34
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearxj86 View Post
Been asking awhile of my Lange folks what production is and they keep saying 4000 to 5000 a year. Haven't heard of any production cuts, can you elaborate?
Well production pre-covid was 5500 and dropped as I understand during COVID to approx 3000.
Russell996 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2023, 03:26 AM   #35
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
Quote:
Not sure how cutting production, raising prices and a no discount policy will negatively effect the secondary!
It will negatively effect secondary prices as their watches will become even more expensive
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2023, 09:25 AM   #36
RolexSimon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondtoys View Post
It will negatively effect secondary prices as their watches will become even more expensive
Expense bears no relation to secondary prices which are based on supply and demand. Less available - more wanting - prices increase.
RolexSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2023, 10:10 AM   #37
CFR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPConst View Post
Who cares about the experience and going to boutiques and all this other nonsense. Find a grey dealer selling what you want, wire them the money, and have the watch 2 days later. Waiting months to be “pampered” is insane….wanted to be pampered is almost as insane.
Are there reputable grey dealers selling new Langes these days? They existed years ago but I think not so much lately, especially since Lange is moving to a boutique-only model.

Quote:
Well production pre-covid was 5500 and dropped as I understand during COVID to approx 3000.
Production temporarily dropped to a bit more than 3000 during the pandemic but is now back up to normal, about 5000 (or 5500?) watches/year I believe. A Lange employee asked me the other day, "Why am I getting these phone calls asking if production is being cut? What's that all about?" He didn't know it was caused by some random YouTube video.
CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2023, 06:38 PM   #38
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFR View Post
Production temporarily dropped to a bit more than 3000 during the pandemic but is now back up to normal, about 5000 (or 5500?) watches/year I believe. A Lange employee asked me the other day, "Why am I getting these phone calls asking if production is being cut? What's that all about?" He didn't know it was caused by some random YouTube video.
Pretty sure the reason the Lange employee will be getting calls is because if you go to some Boutiques they have virtually zero stock with empty windows and delivery times on client pieces have been slipping quite drastically. Now possibly the empty windows are due to the level of sales increasing (I have no evidence of this except secondary prices have firmed up considerably) but with the closure of AD's and the Boutique only model I would of thought boutiques would at least have a window display. I also understand that German watch production was hit harder than Swiss production due to COVID restrictions so I guess with all this anecdotal evidence people have come to a conclusion about current production levels. Even if production is unchanged there appears to be pent up demand causing a lack of pieces for sale either in store or pre-ordered.
Old 14 March 2023, 06:44 PM   #39
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexSimon View Post
Expense bears no relation to secondary prices which are based on supply and demand. Less available - more wanting - prices increase.
You are both correct and incorrect. Supply and demand is clearly key. As MSRP increases some clients who were looking to buy new are tempted to look to buy on the secondary rather than pay the increasing new cost, other new used buyers also come into the market as suddenly the used pieces start to look great value compared to the increased MSRP. This increasing secondary demand ramps up used prices as supply decreases due to stock being sold. This in turn means some clients look again at the new market as the price gap closes and so the cycle continues. Increasing MSRP always drives prices on the secondary unless there is no demand.
Old 14 September 2023, 07:20 PM   #40
Bikerider
"TRF" Member

Don't know what to do...reached out to a US Boutique for a certain ALS model, they said "it's available for order" I'd need to place a deposit then it's 6-8 months. I'm concerned it will be a longer timeframe than promised and the deposit is "non-refundable". Essentially, ALS will have my money with no obligation to deliver. Putting watches aside, it seems like an unfair arrangement for the customer. Any experiences and advise would be appreciated.
Bikerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2023, 07:48 PM   #41
lkluk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerider View Post
Don't know what to do...reached out to a US Boutique for a certain ALS model, they said "it's available for order" I'd need to place a deposit then it's 6-8 months. I'm concerned it will be a longer timeframe than promised and the deposit in "non-refundable". Essentially, ALS will have my money with no time-frame oblg. to deliver...putting watches aside for a minute, it just seem like an unfair business arrangement to the customer. Any experiences and advise would be appreciated.
If you really like a certain model, there is no harm to pay deposit or full to lock the price, as ALS has increased MSRP in recent years on an annual basis. I placed deposit for a Lange 1 (191.032) in July 2022 and it came within two months. I think nowadays it will be difficult to purchase stock pieces in BT as they only displayed exhibition pieces and would like you to commit before letting you take the desired piece.
lkluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2023, 09:38 PM   #42
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Don't know what to do...reached out to a US Boutique for a certain ALS model, they said "it's available for order" I'd need to place a deposit then it's 6-8 months. I'm concerned it will be a longer timeframe than promised and the deposit is "non-refundable". Essentially, ALS will have my money with no obligation to deliver. Putting watches aside, it seems like an unfair arrangement for the customer. Any experiences and advise would be appreciated.
Personally I’d never do that. Many things can happen in 8 months.
Just go grey and have it tomorrow
Old 14 September 2023, 09:39 PM   #43
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, Rolex, Sinn
I would talk with the team at Burdeens in Chicago (the Lange and Vacheron boutique) because they can advise on both the boutique and grey paths. Ask for Aaron - he is usually at the Vacheron Boutique location and he’s great, super knowledgeable and he will shoot you straight.
SoylentGreenChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2023, 10:35 PM   #44
windingmybusiness
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I was quoted 8-12 months and they delivered in 10. Most models are available today used for under retail. That wasn’t true for the piece I ordered at the time I ordered it. If it was, I would have bought used. But I’ll never be a big fish for Lange so “relationship” wasn’t a priority for me.
windingmybusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2023, 11:10 PM   #45
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I bought a few pieces from the boutique this year. Great service and experience both times.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2023, 02:59 AM   #46
hgg43c
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3 + 4
I placed a 30% deposit last September and was told that it would be at least a 12 month time frame for delivery - turned out it was aprox 8 months before I got my Datograph on my wrist at the end of May. It was the first time that I actually gave a deposit to a AD so I did have my reservations.

The overall experience was stellar - no complaints - plus my SA called me to let me know that there was a price increase coming earlier this year - gave me the option of paying off the watch at the 2023 price - good communication/good people.

The other option would be to go grey - and get it on your wrist now.
hgg43c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2023, 03:04 AM   #47
DTNSS
"TRF" Member

Buying Direct from an A. Lange & Söhne Boutique

They are pretty good from my experience. No bs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DTNSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2023, 06:05 AM   #48
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

I wouldn’t worry about a deposit w a company owned boutique - if the boutique is owned by an AD then I would have concerns

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2023, 12:18 AM   #49
CFR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Unfortunately this is the only way to get a new Lange from a boutique now. As others have said, putting down a deposit with a corporate-owned boutique is annoying but not especially risky, and full deposit locks in final price.

Re the suggestion to "go grey": The grey-market pipeline for Lange was robust 20 years ago but is now ancient history.

Re the suggestion to use Burdeen's: Burdeen's is great for advice but will no longer be a Lange boutique soon (if they still are right now). Burdeen's are/were a "partner boutique." Lange has 4 partner boutiques in the US: Aspen (Meridian), Chicago (Burdeen's), Houston (Zadok), and Las Vegas (Bellusso). The other US boutiques are corporate-owned. I wouldn't buy a new Lange from Burdeen's -- a non-corporate boutique that'll soon not be a boutique at all -- unless (a) I got a discount or (b) they had the watch in stock and I was nearly 100% certain that I wouldn't be getting a hard-to-get Lange in the future and therefore wouldn't need to establish an enduring relationship with a boutique.
CFR is offline   Reply With Quote