The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 13 November 2022, 01:56 AM   #1
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Thumbs up/like button

This was brought up in the past (most recently about 4 years ago it appears) but never went anywhere. The naysayers felt that this encourages mindless content. I believe the opposite. As it stands today, many threads have pages of replies, of which there are maybe half a dozen actual points made. Then there are countless "+1" or "congrats" or "nice" single word responses. There could be a lot more reading and a lot less scrolling if all the posts which are essentially equivalent to clicking a like button were consolidated in such a way.
HiBoost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2022, 05:05 AM   #2
ZOOK
2024 Pledge Member

Maybe some day. TRF rides on vBulletin. Version 5 of vBulletin has a like button.

Only forum admin, Steve 'Lol-x' knows when/if TRF will ever upgrade to version 5 of vBulletin.
ZOOK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2022, 12:28 AM   #3
Knappo 1307
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2022, 12:54 PM   #4
Lol-x
Facilitator

It has nothing to do with the software version, so lets get that clear and not make up guesses that are baseless.

Thread voting has not been activated as a conscious decision to stop misuse of that option by those who may be seeking to promote some cause, activity or themselves. It also discourages the creation of multiple accounts. It also encourages or permits the formation of cliques or groups where people agree to act together to promote each others posts.

At the same time, just because a thread may have a number of votes that may discourage others from posting a topic because they believe it will not be viewed, when in fact it may well be a worthy topic.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2022, 03:03 PM   #5
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Thanks for weighing in. It almost sounds like you are describing a per-thread like? If so, I was talking about a per-post like. The forums where I've seen this feature you don't see any like counts when browsing all the titles. But you do see them on the individual comments within the thread. As I jump from forum to forum within tapatalk I often find myself missing the option on TRF. In any case, just one guy's vote for consideration
Old 16 November 2022, 04:15 PM   #6
BNA/LION
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
It has nothing to do with the software version, so lets get that clear and not make up guesses that are baseless.

Thread voting has not been activated as a conscious decision to stop misuse of that option by those who may be seeking to promote some cause, activity or themselves. It also discourages the creation of multiple accounts. It also encourages or permits the formation of cliques or groups where people agree to act together to promote each others posts.

At the same time, just because a thread may have a number of votes that may discourage others from posting a topic because they believe it will not be viewed, when in fact it may well be a worthy topic.

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2022, 12:33 AM   #7
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:

Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2022, 12:53 AM   #8
Booth9999
"TRF" Member

����
Booth9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2022, 12:56 AM   #9
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:

Well said Steve “
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2022, 02:55 AM   #10
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNA/LION View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
You have to appreciate the irony of supporting the "no thumbs up button position" with replies like these
Old 17 November 2022, 05:20 AM   #11
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBoost View Post
You have to appreciate the irony of supporting the "no thumbs up button position" with replies like these

By using the thumbsup icon we already have!
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2022, 06:24 AM   #12
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
white-heavy-check-mark_2705.png
Old 17 November 2022, 06:54 AM   #13
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Touch of sarcasm perhaps
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2022, 06:25 PM   #14
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:

Exactly Steve

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2022, 12:20 AM   #15
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I've been pondering this comment for 24 hours and I still can't wrap my head around it. If somebody is motivated to create multiple accounts for the sake of clicking a like button several times, then why would they not do the exact same thing with multiple replies and thumbs up emojis? And this very thread certainly shows the clique phenomenon as my usual "fans" chime in to vote against what I am proposing. I struggle to think of any example where a like button could be abused in a way that a post with a single emoji could not do the same.

The downside of the not having the button option is all the clutter. I literally have to scroll past entire screens worth of "content" that could have merely been replaced with "6 likes". In fact, I'm convinced that having each of these sentiments expressed via individual posts gives them more weight, not less.
Old 18 November 2022, 07:02 AM   #16
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
We have enough issues with some obsessed with post-count. If we had "like" buttons we would create intense competition for who has more likes, or who gave more likes and on, and on.

That, and we could be held responsible for thumb or finger damage from hammering the like-button on every single post or image to up that important "like count". We don't take that responsibility lightly.
Old 18 November 2022, 02:28 PM   #17
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2022, 06:16 PM   #18
Lol-x
Facilitator

Quote:

The downside of the not having the button option is all the clutter. I literally have to scroll past entire screens worth of "content" that could have merely been replaced with "6 likes". In fact, I'm convinced that having each of these sentiments expressed via individual posts gives them more weight, not less.
That is your guess. How do you know posts that you find uninteresting will not be the subject of many , you don't.
Its all subjective, what you may like others may not and vice versa. And this doesn't even count clique voting for you buddys posts.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2022, 12:44 AM   #19
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That is your guess. How do you know posts that you find uninteresting will not be the subject of many , you don't.
Its all subjective, what you may like others may not and vice versa. And this doesn't even count clique voting for you buddys posts.
Not to belabor the point, but I'm referring specifically and only to a post which contains a single emoji of a thumbs up. If there are some other words included then I fully expect it to be and respect it as a separate post. I'm just saying that there is no difference in content between 4 posts with 1 thumbs up emoji in each, versus a small "4 likes" phrase. But the former is much more in my face and requires scrolling past, whereas the latter I can easily ignore. The other thing I haven't even mentioned is that in order for those 4 single-emoji posts to exist they will typically quote the original post so that we know what is being thumbed-upped. So now that original text has 4x the weight and real estate.

That's what I'm hung up on, is that I believe having the button would actually better address the concerns that you all seem to have.