The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 13 January 2023, 04:46 AM   #1
wangas
"TRF" Member

AP Royal Oak 14790 with replacement parts

Hi guys, I'm looking at a AP Royal 14790 blue dial now that prices are starting to come back down to earth... I have been offered one for a decent price (around 15% below market price), but it has been serviced recently and had the dial, bezel and bracelet all replaced by AP at great expense of the previous owner. I do like the fact that it is "like new" but wanted to get thoughts on whether this is actually a good deal or if the fact it no longer being original devalues the watch significantly to match the price reduction?

Thanks in advance for any wisdom here!DSC_2654.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
wangas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2023, 07:29 AM   #2
Trailboss516
"TRF" Member

Watch: It's complicated
Pass. Sounds like it got in an accident. Market is coming down and other examples will be coming up soon at a more reasonable price point for you.
Trailboss516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2023, 09:12 AM   #3
tcpx
"TRF" Member

I don’t see too much of an issue as long as everything is original and there are service papers to confirm all parts replaced
tcpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2023, 10:10 AM   #4
jgottsman11
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: President
prices will keep coming down. if you're paying over $25,000 this is way too much. if you're under $20,000 take the deal
jgottsman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2023, 11:13 AM   #5
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Icon5

Given you posted here (US biased forum) and also on the Uk TZ forum too are asking from a US or UK perspective wangas?
GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2023, 01:53 PM   #6
Animo Felonico
"TRF" Member

If AP did the service and gave the owner a new bezel and bracelet, those are 100% benefits IMO. Those can be wear items on such a sharply finished watch like a RO. There is nothing magical about the originals (unless the clasp was a different version than came with the watch, but TBH, I wouldn't care about that either if it were me).
Animo Felonico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2023, 04:18 PM   #7
KY..
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 60s to 90s
Freshly serviced/polished watch from AP that you shouldn’t have to worry about for quite a while bought at 15% below current market prices.
Why would there be a problem unless prices are expected to drop significantly more on older RO’s?
My 25594st will be going in to AP this year for a freshening up and I’m not looking forward to the price tag but the final product is worth it.
Old 13 January 2023, 05:38 PM   #8
wangas
"TRF" Member

Thanks all - reaction sounds mostly positive which is good to hear. The clasp is the newer one though - mk3 with the AP logo clasp on a mk2 dial.

Is a tough one as it largely just boils down to price (offer is around $23k) and where the market goes... Agree it will come down a bit more but how much is anyone's guess

Old 13 January 2023, 05:40 PM   #9
wangas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW44 View Post
Given you posted here (US biased forum) and also on the Uk TZ forum too are asking from a US or UK perspective wangas?
Live in the UK and travel to the US and watch is in US, so looking for both perspectives :)

Old 13 January 2023, 08:11 PM   #10
gmtmister
"TRF" Member

I would wait. There’ll be better deals coming up soon, or comparable ones at a lower price.
gmtmister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2023, 01:49 AM   #11
jesulaiman
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 3800, AP 14800
I would take the deal. Price seems good, and i don’t know if price will keep going down much further for older models, although I am sure it will for modern ones. The replacement parts seems ok to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jesulaiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2023, 02:28 AM   #12
gmtmister
"TRF" Member

No one knows, but even old pieces have been getting lower every month. I have been keeping an eye on both a 25594st and 26120st : every month the price goes down…I don’t have a crystal ball, but the market isn’t getting any better for sellers, new or vintage.
gmtmister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2023, 03:23 AM   #13
dawalsh
"TRF" Member

If you won’t, I will.
dawalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2023, 03:51 AM   #14
l_chissle
"TRF" Member

I'm curious, why do Rolex vintage owners seem to care so much about the originality of the parts (as in they are original from the time the watch was made) but AP owners don't seem to care as much about the replacement parts?
l_chissle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2023, 01:11 AM   #15
Animo Felonico
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPC6 View Post
I'm curious, why do Rolex vintage owners seem to care so much about the originality of the parts (as in they are original from the time the watch was made) but AP owners don't seem to care as much about the replacement parts?
Likely one of the reasons is that AP service centers will routinely replace entire movements when the watch is in for service, rather than components. Because this is commonplace, vintage AP owners aren't put off by this. In Rolex world, a total movement replacement would be very rare.
Animo Felonico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2023, 04:25 AM   #16
Mirek
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16520 & 4100BA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animo Felonico View Post
Likely one of the reasons is that AP service centers will routinely replace entire movements when the watch is in for service, rather than components. Because this is commonplace, vintage AP owners aren't put off by this. In Rolex world, a total movement replacement would be very rare.
Yup, Le Brassus replaced the entire movement and crown in my 1984 Series lll Royal Oak.

I was MORE than cool with it.
Mirek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2023, 04:48 AM   #17
thekman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Honestly depends on what you are looking for. A watch to wear w or a collectible. If you are looking for a watch to just wear and enjoy I don't see any negatives to buying this. If you are looking for a "collectible" then definitely hunt down an all original model.

Follow me www.instagram.com/subs.n.scrubs
thekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2023, 07:31 PM   #18
wangas
"TRF" Member

Thanks all! I have learnt a lot and very interesting about the difference in perspective on AP and rolex... I decided to give it a miss as the hands were not replaced and so did not match the dial lume plots and AP saying a full service would have to be paid for to have the hands done. Will keep hunting!