Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nico81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2023, 06:33 AM   #62
321Forever
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
They replied via whatsapp there is no 5212A in store. They do however have 7234R and G in stock but my wife already has a 7234 so that didn't work out. There are no other Patek available and I have lost some time again. They didn't even bother putting me on a waitlist so that they can give me the unwanted 5212A when they next receive it. Bizarre.
Yikes. I'm hoping mid-2024 is closer to what things were like before the crazy times of today. Where you can walk in and there are a bunch of Calatrava's and annual complications sitting out, a few gold Nautiluses, a bunch of 24s, etc.

As you may know, when I was at HG in late December they said that the SS watches are only on the table after buying a gran comp. For fun, I did ask about the ladies Aquanauts and Nautilus and was told that those are easier to source. I didn't try to get one then (not my wife's thing) so I don't know the wait time. For occasional SIN visitors like me, I was told to reach out 30d beforehand to see what of their allocation may be available to a non-whale like me (not sure what the opposite of whale is).
321Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2023, 06:51 AM   #63
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
I think the term you’re looking for is minnow.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2023, 07:32 AM   #64
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post

Lol

dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2023, 09:19 AM   #65
321Forever
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
LOL. That works.
Old 30 January 2023, 10:41 AM   #66
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakemeister View Post
Yikes. I'm hoping mid-2024 is closer to what things were like before the crazy times of today. Where you can walk in and there are a bunch of Calatrava's and annual complications sitting out, a few gold Nautiluses, a bunch of 24s, etc.

As you may know, when I was at HG in late December they said that the SS watches are only on the table after buying a gran comp. For fun, I did ask about the ladies Aquanauts and Nautilus and was told that those are easier to source. I didn't try to get one then (not my wife's thing) so I don't know the wait time. For occasional SIN visitors like me, I was told to reach out 30d beforehand to see what of their allocation may be available to a non-whale like me (not sure what the opposite of whale is).
At HG, even GC and Ladies are hard to get. I would assume the ladies WT is easier but my wife has been waiting for her 7130R since launch. They never commit when they can get any Patek allocation for their customers. They will only call me on the day they receive the watch from their regional Patek agent GMT. They never cold call customers to offer any Patek also - all their Patek are allocated to customers who have expressed interest with them previously.

I am currently seeing the return of Chinese shoppers. This is one of the biggest factors because they buy everything from 24 to GC. They only have 2 Maisons in China and many of them are already VIP with HG prior to the pandemic. They are also sitting in the interest lists along with us poor locals and other Southeast Asians..

Last but not least, more super-rich families are setting up offices here to manage their wealth, with the number of family offices doubling from two years ago. There are now 700 family offices here, up from 400 in end-2020 and up sevenfold from 2017.

HG has a record year in terms of revenue and profit in 2022. With the Chinese back in droves, inevitable GDP growth in China, Singapore and Southeast Asia (the Asian Development Bank predicted a 4.7% economic growth in Southeast Asia for 2023), the prospect of Patek availability is not great unless you are already a client with some spending. I will try European or US ADs instead if I'm starting from zero.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2023, 01:39 PM   #67
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600BB
No discount. However, they did give me a free Rolex catalog.
Ny325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2023, 03:18 PM   #68
321Forever
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
At HG, even GC and Ladies are hard to get. I would assume the ladies WT is easier but my wife has been waiting for her 7130R since launch. They never commit when they can get any Patek allocation for their customers. They will only call me on the day they receive the watch from their regional Patek agent GMT. They never cold call customers to offer any Patek also - all their Patek are allocated to customers who have expressed interest with them previously.

I am currently seeing the return of Chinese shoppers. This is one of the biggest factors because they buy everything from 24 to GC. They only have 2 Maisons in China and many of them are already VIP with HG prior to the pandemic. They are also sitting in the interest lists along with us poor locals and other Southeast Asians..

Last but not least, more super-rich families are setting up offices here to manage their wealth, with the number of family offices doubling from two years ago. There are now 700 family offices here, up from 400 in end-2020 and up sevenfold from 2017.

HG has a record year in terms of revenue and profit in 2022. With the Chinese back in droves, inevitable GDP growth in China, Singapore and Southeast Asia (the Asian Development Bank predicted a 4.7% economic growth in Southeast Asia for 2023), the prospect of Patek availability is not great unless you are already a client with some spending. I will try European or US ADs instead if I'm starting from zero.
Thanks for the extra details. It actually makes sense why Singapore is a challenging place to shop for things like PP. I can remember going to HG years ago and there would often be a Chinese family sitting at one of the glass tables buying what always looked like a dozen Rolex at one time. ...and I'd be scratching my head thinking how can they do this...lol.

Here in Southern California there has definitely been a noticeable increase in Chinese tourism this past month. We go to the beach towns a lot and you can see the tourists from China are definitely back. It's a good thing for the local shops and restaurants. I'd be going insane if I had to stay in one place for so long. I'm sure they are making the most of it.
Old 30 January 2023, 06:56 PM   #69
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This worries me a bit, I asked my AD for the 5326G since launch and still no news... there's no way I can compete with these people.
ButtButt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2023, 07:47 PM   #70
bob101
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtButt View Post
This worries me a bit, I asked my AD for the 5326G since launch and still no news... there's no way I can compete with these people.
A familiar tale in the likes of Singapore and HK. On top of that you’ve got greys bundling a load of pieces to get the sports pieces to sell in their shops..
bob101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2023, 08:46 PM   #71
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
PC, chronos, AC and WT (especially ladies WT) used to be quite easy to get. To a certain extent PCC too. Now it seems like the heat has gone up a few notches. I still find it incredible a WT with diamond bezel can be so hard to acquire from HG. Remember my thread about waiting 1 year 4 months for my 5270? I understand from my friends at Cortina the situation is the same. That ION store easily receives the most stock in town, and yet, there is no stock in store. The irony.
Old 30 January 2023, 09:14 PM   #72
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob101 View Post
A familiar tale in the likes of Singapore and HK. On top of that you’ve got greys bundling a load of pieces to get the sports pieces to sell in their shops..
Yup, I just have to hope my AD likes me enough and remembers me when a watch comes in.

Quote:
PC, chronos, AC and WT (especially ladies WT) used to be quite easy to get. To a certain extent PCC too. Now it seems like the heat has gone up a few notches. I still find it incredible a WT with diamond bezel can be so hard to acquire from HG. Remember my thread about waiting 1 year 4 months for my 5270? I understand from my friends at Cortina the situation is the same. That ION store easily receives the most stock in town, and yet, there is no stock in store. The irony.
I deal with the manager at my Cortina branch and he says the same, the demand is just too much now. They can't order more stock or choose what they get and they have so many people they have to allocate to. He was somehow able to get me my 5172 last year when every other AD turned me away so I have no reason to doubt him. He told me to just try and be patient lol
Old 30 January 2023, 09:38 PM   #73
bob101
"TRF" Member

That’s pretty much the same for me so have been buying used pieces such as the 3940 and 5070 and vintage calatrava instead. I’d like a 3970 or 5970 perhaps if the right one comes along. There are a few like the 5231 world time would love to get but that will be a long wait if ever I think.
bob101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2023, 09:49 PM   #74
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I deal with the manager at my Cortina branch and he says the same, the demand is just too much now. They can't order more stock or choose what they get and they have so many people they have to allocate to. He was somehow able to get me my 5172 last year when every other AD turned me away so I have no reason to doubt him. He told me to just try and be patient lol
Good thing you got the 5172 when the tourists are away, and that will count in your favour. It's no coincidence I also got the most allocation in my life during China lockdowns. Hopefully that will also count for something when the real whales return.
Old 30 January 2023, 09:54 PM   #75
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Good thing you got the 5172 when the tourists are away, and that will count in your favour. It's no coincidence I also got the most allocation in my life during China lockdowns. Hopefully that will also count for something when the real whales return.
I hope so, otherwise like Bob said the grey market will be very interesting if prices keep dropping.
Old 31 January 2023, 10:31 AM   #76
Jdslay
"TRF" Member

The Torneau in Palm Beach basically told me not only no discounts, but I'd have to buy 5 other Pateks from them to even get a crack at something I really want. Is that typical to "build a relationship"?
Jdslay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 04:11 PM   #77
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdslay View Post
The Torneau in Palm Beach basically told me not only no discounts, but I'd have to buy 5 other Pateks from them to even get a crack at something I really want. Is that typical to "build a relationship"?

Seems a little harsh but maybe one or two like a 5524, 5905 or a ladies piece.

Do they have something in stock in the case ?

Old 31 January 2023, 05:00 PM   #78
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:

You? Poor locals?
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 05:06 PM   #79
llngoc
"TRF" Member

I started my Patek journey during the pandemic with an AD at a tourist spot in my side of the world. He used to contact me to chi chat and offered me some incoming pieces. Nowadays with tourism reopened at his locale, he only contacts me when the piece I ordered with deposit comes in. Rest of the time, he did not return my messages. And his bundles size have grown many times bigger. He told me that he literally has many times more customers now than allocations and I should not refer any friend to him at one point.

Not sure if it will be any time soon before we will see some normalization.
Old 31 January 2023, 06:14 PM   #80
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
I started my Patek journey during the pandemic with an AD at a tourist spot in my side of the world. He used to contact me to chi chat and offered me some incoming pieces. Nowadays with tourism reopened at his locale, he only contacts me when the piece I ordered with deposit comes in. Rest of the time, he did not return my messages. And his bundles size have grown many times bigger. He told me that he literally has many times more customers now than allocations and I should not refer any friend to him at one point.

Not sure if it will be any time soon before we will see some normalization.

Must be nice to not even have to try and still be able to sell everything.

Also, please refer me to FPJ, thanks
Old 1 February 2023, 08:47 AM   #81
llngoc
"TRF" Member

FPJ referral is probably not very effective as they do want to meet and know you. You may want to do some weekend trips to HK boutique to get them to know you. Took me quite a few trips to the boutique before I was offered something.
Old 1 February 2023, 09:13 AM   #82
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Back when I met FPJ he was very nice. He even let me activate the chiming function on his watch.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2023, 12:46 AM   #83
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
FPJ referral is probably not very effective as they do want to meet and know you. You may want to do some weekend trips to HK boutique to get them to know you. Took me quite a few trips to the boutique before I was offered something.
haha just joking around, I am much too lazy to fly around to boutiques just for a watch. Maybe one day they'll open a local boutique... in the meantime I will quietly enjoy all the incomings on this forum
Old 7 March 2023, 03:14 AM   #84
fatcows7
"TRF" Member

Watch: JLC / AP
Was in the London salon - 7234g and r are "available in a few weeks" upon putting your name down for them.
fatcows7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2023, 03:50 AM   #85
Skyman
Banned

A recent 6119g purchase secured two free OE calf-skin straps. Plus free entry to the next 5205r draw.
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2023, 05:09 AM   #86
Tan
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5320G
It's interesting to see all of these alleged 5212's sitting around but when people call they aren't there. I was getting the same responses from ADs here that the watch is unavailable for many years and no calls as of yet to pick one up. Something has to give, they must be getting snatched at retail since folks would rather have their name on the papers than buying from grey. I doubt those folks are just looking for a 5212 and likely buying it with the hopes of building a profile.
Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2023, 05:18 AM   #87
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tan View Post
It's interesting to see all of these alleged 5212's sitting around but when people call they aren't there. I was getting the same responses from ADs here that the watch is unavailable for many years and no calls as of yet to pick one up. Something has to give, they must be getting snatched at retail since folks would rather have their name on the papers than buying from grey. I doubt those folks are just looking for a 5212 and likely buying it with the hopes of building a profile.
I can't speak for others, but part of the reason why I am unlikely to buy grey is because of the name on the warranty paper. I'm happy that Patek is still doing that and keeping that tradition going on, as opposed to Rolex which have switched to a generic warranty card. It might sound trivial, and dealing with ADs can be very tough to get Patek these days, but handing down the watch to future generation with their parents name on it is priceless. I don't think they want to open the warranty card and see a random stranger's name on it. Even when Rolex was available at Grey's in the early 2000s at a discount, I still bought from AD for that reason - authenticity and name on the card.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2023, 06:37 AM   #88
norcalgt3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
I can't speak for others, but part of the reason why I am unlikely to buy grey is because of the name on the warranty paper. I'm happy that Patek is still doing that and keeping that tradition going on, as opposed to Rolex which have switched to a generic warranty card. It might sound trivial, and dealing with ADs can be very tough to get Patek these days, but handing down the watch to future generation with their parents name on it is priceless. I don't think they want to open the warranty card and see a random stranger's name on it. Even when Rolex was available at Grey's in the early 2000s at a discount, I still bought from AD for that reason - authenticity and name on the card.
While noble, I'll opt for the 30k in grey savings for select pieces to my kid's college fund instead...=).
norcalgt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2023, 07:54 AM   #89
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tan View Post
I dont get it, why would someone not buy a 5212 at retail, grey price is essentially the same now? most Ads probably get one or two per year pretty sure it's an easy sell.
Old 7 March 2023, 08:13 AM   #90
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalgt3 View Post
While noble, I'll opt for the 30k in grey savings for select pieces to my kid's college fund instead...=).
If you buy enough grey watches, you can put your kid through college!