The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 23 January 2023, 03:59 AM   #31
KVNNSCHNG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolle PP View Post
TS is President....A lot of reason, mostly that the haven't fokus on local market
This. Without overstepping / over sharing I have been told PP are focusing their efforts towards larger markets (e.g. New York, Chicago, Miami, Etc.). The smaller markets (like here in Indianapolis, IN) are doomed.
Old 23 January 2023, 07:40 AM   #32
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
The bundles and other nonsense help Patek shift the production they’re making that nobody wants.

A lot of the Swiss watch industry is organized this way at least for any brands with pieces people actually want. Rarity is part of (or most of) the value.

It will be the same even if it’s all boutique because it has to be. Look at AP and see the threads there with people buying Code models to get access to the pieces they really want. I’d love to have a RO ceramic, but I’m not going to buy a bunch of junk from a boutique just to have AP close it on me and then poof… you’re off the list.

It was good having Patek pull the rug out. Nowadays it seems much easier to just get exactly what you want from a gray dealer.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2023, 08:09 AM   #33
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by KVNNSCHNG View Post
This. Without overstepping / over sharing I have been told PP are focusing their efforts towards larger markets (e.g. New York, Chicago, Miami, Etc.). The smaller markets (like here in Indianapolis, IN) are doomed.
Do you know why they are shunning smaller markets? There is no clear logic to me to do that.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2023, 08:17 AM   #34
codecow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Do you know why they are shunning smaller markets? There is no clear logic to me to do that.
Seems reasonable to me. If you have the means to buy a Patek you have the means to travel to any large city to buy one. Why have limited inventory spread out around a lot of locations?
Old 23 January 2023, 10:02 AM   #35
Vasco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
The bundles and other nonsense help Patek shift the production they’re making that nobody wants.

A lot of the Swiss watch industry is organized this way at least for any brands with pieces people actually want. Rarity is part of (or most of) the value.

It will be the same even if it’s all boutique because it has to be. Look at AP and see the threads there with people buying Code models to get access to the pieces they really want. I’d love to have a RO ceramic, but I’m not going to buy a bunch of junk from a boutique just to have AP close it on me and then poof… you’re off the list.

It was good having Patek pull the rug out. Nowadays it seems much easier to just get exactly what you want from a gray dealer.
I agree with you. But, well, there are 2 kinds of bundles. You're talking about the 1 Patek for 1 Naut/Aqua. It's true. But I was more mentioning the other one (from people experiencing bad AD behaviors reported on TRF): get jewels and other non-selling brands for a Naut/Aqua.

At least, I believe that the first case isn't a bad deal (especially if overall the Naut/Aqua balances in profit what the classical model substracts in loss). But the second case...
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2023, 11:53 AM   #36
unotaz
"TRF" Member

Different countries have different AD policies. For example, in Taiwan, every Patek AD "bundles". And they come out directly to tell you, you need spend this amount to get this watch. Of course, when I speak to the Patek distributor of Taiwan, they claim they are not aware of any business practices as such. Luckily, my AD in Los Angeles does not operate like that
unotaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2023, 11:57 AM   #37
unotaz
"TRF" Member

I can't reveal the name because it's not official yet, but the AD themselves already know about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachycardia View Post
Which socal AD?
unotaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2023, 01:44 PM   #38
codecow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
I agree with you. But, well, there are 2 kinds of bundles. You're talking about the 1 Patek for 1 Naut/Aqua. It's true. But I was more mentioning the other one (from people experiencing bad AD behaviors reported on TRF): get jewels and other non-selling brands for a Naut/Aqua.

At least, I believe that the first case isn't a bad deal (especially if overall the Naut/Aqua balances in profit what the classical model substracts in loss). But the second case...
There’s no difference to me. You can buy watches you don’t want and flip them or you can buy diamonds you don’t want and flip them. At least with designer jewelry my wife might want it.
Old 23 January 2023, 05:48 PM   #39
norcalgt3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
There’s no difference to me. You can buy watches you don’t want and flip them or you can buy diamonds you don’t want and flip them. At least with designer jewelry my wife might want it.
I've yet to flip a dealer bought piece. Unlike Rolex, Patek seems to care and punish those who flip (YMMV ofcourse) soon after purchase and it allows people to register their timepieces via their website. So assuming the new owner registers the watch, it's easy to see it's been rehomed.
norcalgt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2023, 08:41 PM   #40
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
there’s no difference to me. You can buy watches you don’t want and flip them or you can buy diamonds you don’t want and flip them. At least with designer jewelry my wife might want it.
+1

There is no "good" bundling.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2023, 12:08 AM   #41
Vasco
"TRF" Member

Of course bundles aren't good. But there are differences among ADs and especially Salons.

If a Salon says "well we don't have enough Naut/Aqua (this is the key point, otherwise, it's just bundle), hence we have to select who we are going to give it to". I think that "rewarding" people who already spent significant sums of money on classical models is natural. I believe we would be many here to be unpleased if, after buying several watches over several years, we were refused a Naut that would go on a frist time buyer.

This is no bundle to me but just selecting on the basis of who spent the most, especially when times didn't reward speculation.

What alternative is there?

This is the dilemma for the brand.
Old 24 January 2023, 12:22 AM   #42
starship33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Of course bundles aren't good. But there are differences among ADs and especially Salons.

If a Salon says "well we don't have enough Naut/Aqua (this is the key point, otherwise, it's just bundle), hence we have to select who we are going to give it to". I think that "rewarding" people who already spent significant sums of money on classical models is natural. I believe we would be many here to be unpleased if, after buying several watches over several years, we were refused a Naut that would go on a frist time buyer.

This is no bundle to me but just selecting on the basis of who spent the most, especially when times didn't reward speculation.

What alternative is there?

This is the dilemma for the brand.
I am visiting quite often Paris and Geneva Salons. Both are now very clear, one can't start anymore with any Aquanaut/Nautilus. Those days are over, at least for now. These pieces are for what they are considering "loyal customers". And it's not only based on how much you have spent. They are taking other factors into account, more hard to discern. Like your journey with the brand (for instance I explained that I wanted to have one watch in each category: Aquanaut, Nautilus, Complication, Grand Complication), if you are knowledgable about the brand history, models history, if you keep your watches, etc... Amount of spending isn't the only factor. Not saying it doesn't count of course.
starship33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2023, 02:35 AM   #43
Vasco
"TRF" Member

Indeed Starship, this is what I understood as well. They also think about the future, when times can be less favorable for the watchmaking market and they don't want to have turned away clients that couldn't be served as they wished. I understand they'll try to balance between bigger and smaller clients.

However, my experience, without going into details, has shown that reality might be a little different.

But for sure showing interest on the long run is a big "plus" and will be better taken into account.
Old 24 January 2023, 02:45 AM   #44
starship33
"TRF" Member

Quote:

However, my experience, without going into details, has shown that reality might be a little different.
Oh yes, there is always "differences" :-) I know some story about Salons but can't tell publicly ;-)
starship33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2023, 12:20 AM   #45
yoast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starship33 View Post
oh yes, there is always "differences" :-) i know some story about salons but can't tell publicly ;-)
+1
Old 26 January 2023, 12:41 AM   #46
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Patek has or never will have a problem selling product because retailers have to buy from them. The ones who 'might' have problems are the organisations which haven't got the cashflow to float stock not selling like your family independents
Mini2 is offline   Reply With Quote