The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 26 January 2023, 04:38 AM   #2341
namelesswatchguy
"TRF" Member

Do we know that Glacier Blue is the most popular?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahgraph View Post
My honest guess is that it will rain or maybe even poor cancellations when it turns out the big boy (in terms of numbers) Glacier Blue Antarctique will be delayed by 'hopefully months'.

The genie left the bottle.

Or am I wrong? Seems like they bit of way more than they could chew.

Cheers
namelesswatchguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2023, 01:27 PM   #2342
mikemargolis
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by namelesswatchguy View Post
Do we know that Glacier Blue is the most popular?
It is not.

I won't answer more than that.
mikemargolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2023, 09:14 PM   #2343
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Watch: LF Sport & Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahgraph View Post
My honest guess is that it will rain or maybe even poor cancellations when it turns out the big boy (in terms of numbers) Glacier Blue Antarctique will be delayed by 'hopefully months'.

The genie left the bottle.

Or am I wrong? Seems like they bit of way more than they could chew.

Cheers
Possibly, but why would people cancel orders because of a delay? I could see flippers cancelling it if the market keeps stagnating. But it would have to stagnate past the $5k deposit. Good riddance in any case.

If this is the watch you want, why would a couple of months bother you so much that you'd give up your deposit?
charger_vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2023, 11:48 PM   #2344
sgrossma
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger_vital View Post
Possibly, but why would people cancel orders because of a delay? I could see flippers cancelling it if the market keeps stagnating. But it would have to stagnate past the $5k deposit. Good riddance in any case.

If this is the watch you want, why would a couple of months bother you so much that you'd give up your deposit?
I guess the main reason for cancels would probably be because the market has cooled off… not necessarily only b/c people can’t flip their Czapeks for more.

A year ago, you couldn’t buy a stainless Rolex or VC or AP without paying a 200-300% premium. Czapek was an exciting alternative that was available at retail. Now you can get some of those other models again, whether first hand or second hand, at a lot closer to retail again.

Then there are some losing jobs or preparing for a potentially harsh road ahead, or maybe just losing patience. Not everyone wants to have $5k tied up with no near term hope of a watch.

Also don’t forget, not all watch collectors in this price range are loaded. Even if it is not a flip, value retention is very important. At least knowing you could recoup all or a large part of your purchase certainly helps the decision to blow a large part of your disposable income.

Anyway, just some thoughts.
sgrossma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2023, 01:50 AM   #2345
gliazzurri
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I cancelled an order of a watch because of delay. I didn’t want the ongoing wait and postponements to keep piling on. I’m an ultra patient person though didn’t like the sense it was unraveling. Not meeting expectations is how I would put it.
gliazzurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2023, 02:43 AM   #2346
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:

Some buyers were banking on a payday if they didn’t like it. Also now you can buy a VCO 4500 at msrp and ROs are in the 30s again. No big deal the weak hands shake out like always.
Old 27 January 2023, 04:03 AM   #2347
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrossma View Post
I guess the main reason for cancels would probably be because the market has cooled off… not necessarily only b/c people can’t flip their Czapeks for more.

A year ago, you couldn’t buy a stainless Rolex or VC or AP without paying a 200-300% premium. Czapek was an exciting alternative that was available at retail. Now you can get some of those other models again, whether first hand or second hand, at a lot closer to retail again.

Then there are some losing jobs or preparing for a potentially harsh road ahead, or maybe just losing patience. Not everyone wants to have $5k tied up with no near term hope of a watch.

Also don’t forget, not all watch collectors in this price range are loaded. Even if it is not a flip, value retention is very important. At least knowing you could recoup all or a large part of your purchase certainly helps the decision to blow a large part of your disposable income.

Anyway, just some thoughts.
I agree with this sentiment. Remember guys, it's not just the deposit being tied up. It's actually the rest of the payment. That's around $15k being tied up for an unknown period of time. Since we don't really know when the news will come that your watch is ready, you kinda just need to make sure that money is available when the word comes.

For the rich, this is trump change. For the "not rich" watch enthusiast, it's money that is being tied up that could be used to buy stocks on the cheap or whatever. Or a big chunk of that VCO price that is now at retail. Or the rare Rolex that is at or below retail.

Like anything, it's not really the amount, it's the uncertainty, and, honestly, it can get frustrating if the response is "maybe" or "around" a certain date...which is already more than a year out from order date...or something to the effect of "well that's way out there so it's tough to say right now."

It is frustrating.

I have a brand new Grand Seiko Night Birch that has been with GS for repairs since September 2022 with no estimate on when it will be back. They say they will let me know, and they never do.

This has really made me think twice about buying a GS 9SA5 High-Beat movement watch (actually turning into a hard "no"), and has left a bad taste in my mouth as to GS altogether. The only reason I hang on is that I have a GS with an earlier version Hi-Beat that is marvelous.

I don't have that history or experience with Czapek....yet....so the waiting is very difficult, and I'm hoping that when I get mine (hopefully, earlier this year), it will be flawless and worth the wait and uncertainty.
Gebbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2023, 05:12 AM   #2348
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Watch: LF Sport & Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Some buyers were banking on a payday if they didn’t like it. Also now you can buy a VCO 4500 at msrp and ROs are in the 30s again. No big deal the weak hands shake out like always.
I would agree with the payday argument. Still, Czapek would have to agree to refund the deposit so it might not be that easy to walk away.
charger_vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2023, 05:29 AM   #2349
ChetBaker
"TRF" Member

Agree to the refund of the deposit? Not sure I understand if that is what you mean.
ChetBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2023, 06:25 AM   #2350
Schweinwerfer
"TRF" Member

They refunded me to the full extent. 22000€.
I returned it because I didn't like it's looks. Honestly I grew a bit tired of Czapek and their umpteenth limited edition releases. Anyone in the same boat?
Schweinwerfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2023, 09:08 AM   #2351
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

I'm not upset with a lot of limited releases, so long as the resources to release these limited edition models are not being taken away from the resources used to produce non-limited edition watches so that watches on order are manufactured in a reasonable amount of time.
Gebbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2023, 01:18 PM   #2352
Inseconds99
"TRF" Member

Have the opportunity to purchase this beautiful limited piece. Spoke with a wonderful AD which I will 100% be doing business with in the future.

I had originally reached out regarding my interest in a the Glacier but was offered this. Though I do like it, I am unsure if it has the charm and and piazza of the Glacier. I think I’m going to pass.

What are your thoughts on this limited dial with blue steel markers and hands?
Inseconds99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2023, 03:47 PM   #2353
Dr.Stu
2024 Pledge Member

Doesn't quite do it for me either. But, not a fan of the Arabic 12 (prefer the double indices) and am very patiently waiting for my Glacier Blue.
Old 27 January 2023, 03:52 PM   #2354
btinl
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inseconds99 View Post

Have the opportunity to purchase this beautiful limited piece. Spoke with a wonderful AD which I will 100% be doing business with in the future.

I had originally reached out regarding my interest in a the Glacier but was offered this. Though I do like it, I am unsure if it has the charm and and piazza of the Glacier. I think I’m going to pass.

It’s nice but do you really want an Oster Jewelers branded LE?
btinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2023, 04:14 PM   #2355
Schweinwerfer
"TRF" Member

Haha that's hilarious. I'm complaining about too many LEs. What is Czapek doing? Just releasing the next one... that's at least the 15th LE since 2021
Schweinwerfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2023, 04:36 PM   #2356
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inseconds99 View Post

Twinkling faceted hour markers is one of the most interesting light play features second to the dial texture. This one gives it up for solid color contrast. Bad call IMO.
Old 27 January 2023, 04:54 PM   #2357
AlyRba
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schweinwerfer View Post
Haha that's hilarious. I'm complaining about too many LEs. What is Czapek doing? Just releasing the next one... that's at least the 15th LE since 2021
I don’t think the number is 15 but I do agree that they need to slow down. At this point, they run the risk of turning into Octo Finissimo and GS. However, to their defense, only 5 editions to my knowledge have been produced in large enough quantities (3 initial dials, salmon, and frozen star). Rest have been in extremely small quantity of around 10 (hand varnished dials, India club edition, one for an Asian market). A 10-12 number run IMHO doesn’t count as big enough to be qualified as a limited run as per todays standards (500-1,000 watches) but rather a tier even above limited. That being said, I also want them to focus more on regular editions and introduce at most 2 limited editions per year.
AlyRba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2023, 12:32 AM   #2358
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlyRba View Post
I don’t think the number is 15 but I do agree that they need to slow down. At this point, they run the risk of turning into Octo Finissimo and GS. However, to their defense, only 5 editions to my knowledge have been produced in large enough quantities (3 initial dials, salmon, and frozen star). Rest have been in extremely small quantity of around 10 (hand varnished dials, India club edition, one for an Asian market). A 10-12 number run IMHO doesn’t count as big enough to be qualified as a limited run as per todays standards (500-1,000 watches) but rather a tier even above limited. That being said, I also want them to focus more on regular editions and introduce at most 2 limited editions per year.
when they aren't delivering standard orders to individual customers that ordered directly over a year ago, it is a problem.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2023, 01:23 AM   #2359
sgrossma
2024 Pledge Member

The LEs aren't holding up the line, but I agree that I would like to see less dial variations.

That Oster LE had also been in the works for at least a year.
sgrossma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2023, 02:46 AM   #2360
szabo_martin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711,Sub,DS,YM42
TBH almost all their watches are LE given the small numbers produced.
szabo_martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2023, 11:01 AM   #2361
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Just picked this up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2023, 03:49 PM   #2362
Heinb
"TRF" Member

Beautiful 👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻
Heinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2023, 05:49 PM   #2363
Bug04
"TRF" Member

I agree with the general consideration on excessive Czapek LE launches (but … I would have kept the Salmon).
I do like Czapek, I do like Antarctique, I think it remains one of the best choices for the category but do not like its proliferating SE or LE (fashion like) policy. Terre Adelie, Fratello, Monochrome, Roaring, Salmon, Japan Puzzle&Dragons (if true, and I hope not), various SE enamel dials, retailer versions, Indian dial, and so on …
Really too too many. And I am not referring to the impact it may (or may not) have on production delays of continuative versions, but on the fact that if you bomb the offer with continuing LE, there is a “dilutive” effect and the perception is that any of the LE is not really a LE but only one batch of overall production …. also considering that the total production volume is small so the ratio of LE over total volume results too high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schweinwerfer View Post
They refunded me to the full extent. 22000€.
I returned it because I didn't like it's looks. Honestly I grew a bit tired of Czapek and their umpteenth limited edition releases. Anyone in the same boat?
Bug04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2023, 11:02 PM   #2364
jd57
"TRF" Member

Arrived almost exactly a year after placing the order. Initial impressions: exceptionally comfortable on my wrist, bracelet is light - not flimsy but not Royal Oak solid, dial patterning is subtle in most light, great movement. Taking it on a trip to see how well it travels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg B851E617-167B-469B-9C06-7808D750E451.jpeg (120.9 KB, 311 views)
jd57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2023, 11:30 PM   #2365
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug04 View Post
I agree with the general consideration on excessive Czapek LE launches (but … I would have kept the Salmon).
I do like Czapek, I do like Antarctique, I think it remains one of the best choices for the category but do not like its proliferating SE or LE (fashion like) policy. Terre Adelie, Fratello, Monochrome, Roaring, Salmon, Japan Puzzle&Dragons (if true, and I hope not), various SE enamel dials, retailer versions, Indian dial, and so on …
Really too too many. And I am not referring to the impact it may (or may not) have on production delays of continuative versions, but on the fact that if you bomb the offer with continuing LE, there is a “dilutive” effect and the perception is that any of the LE is not really a LE but only one batch of overall production …. also considering that the total production volume is small so the ratio of LE over total volume results too high.
Agreed. It reminds me of why I never try to figure out Omega's lineup with all their special variations. That said, I saw a Czapek here in Naples (albeit for 2x MSRP) that was pretty enough, it made me find this thread to learn more about it and I've been monitoring the thread ever since. I hope they do well, and evolve away from non-stop LEs and towards a lineup of classic, desirable watches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2649.JPG (270.6 KB, 303 views)
Old 29 January 2023, 01:23 AM   #2366
Heinb
"TRF" Member

You can agree or disagree with how Czapek go about there watchmaking. All I know is I have a spot on the books and it is going to happen sooner or later. That is more I can say of other high end brands. So I will rather wait on a sure thing than hope for a pie in the sky. And the best part is that I am not settling for less. At least thats my opinion, other people my differ. You are welcome 😉
Heinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2023, 02:15 AM   #2367
Bug04
"TRF" Member

Well said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
Agreed. It reminds me of why I never try to figure out Omega's lineup with all their special variations. That said, I saw a Czapek here in Naples (albeit for 2x MSRP) that was pretty enough, it made me find this thread to learn more about it and I've been monitoring the thread ever since. I hope they do well, and evolve away from non-stop LEs and towards a lineup of classic, desirable watches.
Old 29 January 2023, 04:00 AM   #2368
DrYookulele
"TRF" Member

This is my Antarctique with salmon dial. This watch is AMAZING.

DrYookulele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2023, 04:01 AM   #2369
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrYookulele View Post

Yeah it is! Enjoy that beauty
Old 29 January 2023, 05:43 AM   #2370
Bug04
"TRF" Member

How comes a Salmon not in Passage de Drake dial?
Unique piece edition?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrYookulele View Post