The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 21 January 2023, 12:45 PM   #1
DARCN
"TRF" Member

Buying Direct from an A. Lange & Söhne Boutique

Hello everyone. I’ve seen a lot of posts saying you should get your Audemars Piguets and Rolexes direct from a boutique in order to enjoy the “experience” and perhaps be given some gifts. Do the A. Lange & Söhne boutiques provide such positive experiences? I ask because obviously there are great deals to be had via other sellers. Thanks for your thoughts.
DARCN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2023, 12:51 PM   #2
David5807
"TRF" Member

With Lange the boutique experience is nice, but the real incentive is gaining access to some of the more in demand pieces by building a purchase history.
David5807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2023, 02:34 PM   #3
llngoc
"TRF" Member

I don’t think the ADs are getting much allocations and all the desirable pieces are only coming through the boutique.

I had a deposit on a Little One Moonphase since the first day it was announced at an AD but the deposit was returned to me a few months ago as the AD is not able to get allocation. And I have just ordered it through the boutique two weeks ago expecting a May/June delivery. When this piece was announced, it was not a boutique only reference and now it is. Even the Datograph is boutique only now. And the blue dial Lange One too.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2023, 02:51 PM   #4
thekman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
It depends on what you are looking for. If it's a 1 and done watch you are most likely better off buying at a significant discount on the secondary market. I am not sure what amount of gifts or experience is worth paying at least over 10k more. Sometimes even more if it's a more expensive piece. If your goal is to become a brand VIP and work your way up to their exclusive pieces then I guess that's a different discussion.

Follow me www.instagram.com/subs.n.scrubs
thekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2023, 11:22 PM   #5
DJH1977
"TRF" Member

If nothing else, the boutique is the only chance to see a decent variety of pieces. Some will be available and some available to order.
DJH1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2023, 05:46 AM   #6
PBJ1925
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 326934
All subjective, but directionally I've had better service at ALS & Vacheron than the run of the mill Rolex AD and/or boutique.

Then again, they know outside of getting access to their more exclusive pieces, a buyer could easily click a few buttons and realize the substantial secondary market savings.

Never had any substantial gifts or swag from anyone (outside of a case or equivalent) that made me feel compelled to see the relationship for anything other than it is.
PBJ1925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2023, 08:13 AM   #7
RolexSimon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARCN View Post
Hello everyone. I’ve seen a lot of posts saying you should get your Audemars Piguets and Rolexes direct from a boutique in order to enjoy the “experience” and perhaps be given some gifts. Do the A. Lange & Söhne boutiques provide such positive experiences? I ask because obviously there are great deals to be had via other sellers. Thanks for your thoughts.
Others have hit the nail on the head. The ALS gifts are generally watch sleeves, watch rolls, watch cases and I do think there are better gifts up the line as you buy your 3rd or 4th watch. The gift always gets delivered to me by ALS direct from Germany a week or so after purchase.
You are correct that most can be purchased cheaper (relatively but in many cases not much) on the secondary market (with the exception of the steel Odysseus). My ALS Boutique is owned by a major watch franchise with 6 stores selling things other than ALS and my ALS purchase history allowed me to get allocated a major grail Rolex at RRP - something I never expected when i started the journey in the ALS Boutique. So it may have other benefits other than ALS ones......
RolexSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2023, 09:33 AM   #8
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

not sure how many pieces ALS has that people try to build a relationship to get outside of just a couple. kicked tires for years at the boutique in south coast and finally got my first piece last year. gonna sound dumb but the nicest experience was not feeling like they were doing me some big favor selling me the watch. seemed more like buying a watch during the pre hype era, which for most who cares but for me it was a nice changeup. I know it's a richemont brand but the salespeople I kicked tires with always seemed pleasant, which def has not been the case 80% visiting other stores.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2023, 01:52 PM   #9
S``
"TRF" Member

Except for the few non Richemont-owned boutiques in the USA... I thought all other Lange boutiques are now owned by corporate?
S`` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2023, 03:13 PM   #10
RolexSimon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S`` View Post
Except for the few non Richemont-owned boutiques in the USA... I thought all other Lange boutiques are now owned by corporate?
Sydney Boutique owned by Watches of Switzerland. Lovely staff and can recommend them 100%.
RolexSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2023, 03:36 PM   #11
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

No. I got screwed on a promised allocation after buying a Zeitwerk.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2023, 04:31 PM   #12
CFR
2024 Pledge Member

You pretty much have two choices, since there are effectively no more ADs left in the US: Buy from a boutique or buy preowned. The boutique will likely treat you well. But if you're looking for a standard-production Lange, I'd suggest you buy preowned from a reputable seller if the cost savings would be substantial. The only major disadvantage of that is if you want to establish a relationship with a boutique to buy more limited pieces later. Also, there are certain specific things you'll want to look for to ensure a preowned Lange not overpolished, etc., if you care about that. Good luck with this!
CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2023, 05:50 PM   #13
Swoop
"TRF" Member

as others have said- the real benefit is building a relationship to gain access to more desirable pieces. wait times seem not to bad 6-12 months for most things
Swoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2023, 05:49 AM   #14
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

My understanding is that for certain higher end models, you need to "pre-qualify" by buying a lower end model at an AD, but increasingly, as these ADs disappear, at an ALS boutique.

So it depends on your strategy. If you are looking to eventually buy an Odysseus at retail or a Zeitwerk repeater, or a Lumen model, then you need to pay full retail for a Saxonia Thin or Lange 1 Timezone. Then you will have the chance to get a higher end piece at retail.

Now, given that most ALS' decline in price significantly after the 1st buyer, you have to think whether it's worth the price difference at retail just for the chance to buy a higher end piece at retail.

Is it better to get the discounts on the lower-end model in the secondary, and just pay up the markup on the Odysseus in the secondary market? I haven't done the math, but both paths maybe financially the same. I don't really know.

Someone should do an analysis.
Gebbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2023, 03:29 AM   #15
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

I am considering a lange 1 from boutique. The difference in preowned is not what it used to be and currently around 10k condition and year dependent. While this is certainly a lot of money, I dont think its large enough anymore especially if a keeper/grail and I would rather be the first owner.
Old 12 March 2023, 01:01 PM   #16
Hydracus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 191.039
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post
No. I got screwed on a promised allocation after buying a Zeitwerk.
Was this at the Sydney Boutique? Sorry to hear, but did they outright lie about securing a piece or were they deliberately vague and left you high and dry post Zeitwerk?
P.S. a Zeitwerk is a fantastic piece - hopefully you will still be ahead over the long run.
Hydracus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2023, 01:37 AM   #17
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydracus View Post
Was this at the Sydney Boutique? Sorry to hear, but did they outright lie about securing a piece or were they deliberately vague and left you high and dry post Zeitwerk?
P.S. a Zeitwerk is a fantastic piece - hopefully you will still be ahead over the long run.
Looks like he is from Utah. But a Zeitwerk is not bad at all, I would not mind it even without promise of an allocation of another rare piece, would like to hear the full story from @watcheater666

BTW, another price increase is coming and I will prepaid my order next week to save the 12%. Watches are really becoming unaffordable.
Old 13 March 2023, 04:41 AM   #18
hgg43c
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3 + 4
as others have noted - AD's have very little inventory - plus boutiques are selling all the "in demand" pieces. So far my experience with the boutiques has been very satisfactory - about 6 more months until I get my first piece. I'm waiting to see what develops at Watches & Wonders before ordering my second piece.
hgg43c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2023, 06:33 AM   #19
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
With the latest price increase. Langes are getting very pricey at retail + tax...
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2023, 06:35 AM   #20
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

they're trying to go back to their roots as dogs in the secondary market
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2023, 07:24 AM   #21
btinl
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: on my wrist
Has the new price list been released?
btinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2023, 09:04 AM   #22
CFR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgg43c View Post
as others have noted - AD's have very little inventory - plus boutiques are selling all the "in demand" pieces. So far my experience with the boutiques has been very satisfactory - about 6 more months until I get my first piece. I'm waiting to see what develops at Watches & Wonders before ordering my second piece.
The Boston boutique definitely has some good product, including a Datograph Up/Down in pink gold/black dial (405.031), Lange 1 Moonphase in white gold/black dial (192.029), and 1815 Up/Down in white gold/silver dial (234.026).

Quote:
Originally Posted by btinl View Post
Has the new price list been released?
The new prices will be posted at http://goo.gl/vWFC7Q on March 20 (column "O" in the Historic Data tab, or look at the last column of the "Annual Prices" tab).
CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2023, 10:00 AM   #23
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post

They’ve already arrived
Old 13 March 2023, 10:11 AM   #24
HAPConst
Banned

Who cares about the experience and going to boutiques and all this other nonsense. Find a grey dealer selling what you want, wire them the money, and have the watch 2 days later. Waiting months to be “pampered” is insane….wanted to be pampered is almost as insane.
HAPConst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2023, 11:22 AM   #25
dakkonmc
"TRF" Member

ALS had 2 sizeable price increase in the past 2 years. I wonder if boutique are able to move five thousand watches per year?

We are in an economic slow down. The massive demand since covid are probably due to a function of free money and people Is trying to flip watches.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
dakkonmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2023, 11:26 AM   #26
bwdellorf76
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
New prices coming out March 19, or at least that is the last day I was told that I can put a deposit down on a watch at the current prices.
bwdellorf76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2023, 12:45 PM   #27
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwdellorf76 View Post
New prices coming out March 19, or at least that is the last day I was told that I can put a deposit down on a watch at the current prices.

I don’t think a deposit will hold the current price? My boutique said I need to pay off remaining balance on a watch I put deposit down in January.
Old 13 March 2023, 04:46 PM   #28
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
They’ve already arrived
Not sure how cutting production, raising prices and a no discount policy will negatively effect the secondary!
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2023, 08:19 PM   #29
ILoveFerrari
"TRF" Member

removed
ILoveFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2023, 08:57 PM   #30
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
I don’t think a deposit will hold the current price? My boutique said I need to pay off remaining balance on a watch I put deposit down in January.
Share what you're getting!
ButtButt is offline   Reply With Quote