The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 14 March 2020, 10:09 PM   #1981
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
From WHO:

WHO, UN Foundation and partners launch first-of-its-kind COVID-19 Solidarity Response Fund
13 March 2020

"A new coronavirus disease (COVID-19) Solidarity Response Fund will raise money from a wide range of donors to support the work of the World Health Organization (WHO) and partners to help countries respond to the COVID-19 pandemic. The fund, the first-of-its-kind, enables private individuals, corporations and institutions anywhere in the world to come together to directly contribute to global response efforts, and has been created by the United Nations Foundation and the Swiss Philanthropy Foundation, together with WHO."

https://www.who.int/emergencies/dise...as-they-happen
Old 14 March 2020, 10:14 PM   #1982
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
I must admit, I'm not either Seth, I found this but dont know the accuracy of the article or the publication.

https://relentlessschoolnurse.com/20...VZeEXyTkhDPqU8
Adds some validity, for sure.

But not much substance behind that either.

Either way, the message is a good one. I’m not sure anyone is “laughing” at the hysteria. But anything that convinced people to exercise caution is good.

Just hoping most people will balance caution with sense. So far we are seeing what appears to be a lot of unnecessary hysteria. Ie fighting for toilet paper and such examples.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 14 March 2020, 10:32 PM   #1983
Moggo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, SD4K, Exp 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
I think that, that article could be any country in the world, by changing a couple of names and places, it could very well be my country, The UK.

Appears slightly different here Dave, we aren’t to call the number unless we feel we need hospitalisation, so, no test, numbers therefore give a false picture.

Most will never know if they definitively had it or not, strange decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 14 March 2020, 11:13 PM   #1984
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggo View Post
I’ve had 2 friends that developed pneumonia and hacking coughs in early December, one was hospitalised for a month. No ‘cause’ reported.

Obviously way before ‘we’ knew about this virus, both are fit, healthy and very active. Certainly not pneumonia candidates.

One still has the hacking cough, over 12 weeks now, x-ray not showing anything.

Has it been circling longer than we are lead to believe I wonder, could be coincided though

Yes it has ....first case early nov and not shared w the world until when....
What you wrote is essentially my wife they told her she had walking pneumonia we were in Europe in dec/ Jan then I was back in Europe in feb and guess what I had the same crap as her . She went through two rounds of antibiotics to finally feel better due to most likely bacterial pneumonia. For three weeks she could not breathe at all. We are talking mid 40s very active and fit. Clearly wasn’t tested then but the symptoms she had....
Old 14 March 2020, 11:32 PM   #1985
Acanthurus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNABOD View Post
Yes it has ....first case early nov and not shared w the world until when....
What you wrote is essentially my wife they told her she had walking pneumonia we were in Europe in dec/ Jan then I was back in Europe in feb and guess what I had the same crap as her . She went through two rounds of antibiotics to finally feel better due to most likely bacterial pneumonia. For three weeks she could not breathe at all. We are talking mid 40s very active and fit. Clearly wasn’t tested then but the symptoms she had....
All of these stories sound like atypical pneumonia. Not uncommon, and often affects younger, otherwise well people. Doesn’t have the typical X-ray finding so is hard to diagnose, doesn’t respond to the usual antibiotics and takes a while to recover from. This is something we see everyday through the emergency department.

Given the time frame you have described there is basically zero chance of this being COVID-19, so in this context I would stop worrying about it
Old 14 March 2020, 11:46 PM   #1986
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acanthurus View Post
All of these stories sound like atypical pneumonia. Not uncommon, and often affects younger, otherwise well people. Doesn’t have the typical X-ray finding so is hard to diagnose, doesn’t respond to the usual antibiotics and takes a while to recover from. This is something we see everyday through the emergency department.

Given the time frame you have described there is basically zero chance of this being COVID-19, so in this context I would stop worrying about it

And isn’t atypical pneumonia what started it all when the Chinese docs raised the alarm? So no one from China was traveling to Europe between early nov and early 2020 when we knew it was out there in the wild ? I can tell you we were in Paris in Jan and amongst a sea of Chinese tourists in the louvre and many other places so I don’t think there is zero chance , slim perhaps but I don’t think zero. The er doc here was concerned about her travels ...and mine
Old 15 March 2020, 12:11 AM   #1987
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
The death toll from Coronavirus in the UK has doubled overnight.

DAVE

Old 15 March 2020, 12:17 AM   #1988
Acanthurus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNABOD View Post
And isn’t atypical pneumonia what started it all when the Chinese docs raised the alarm? So no one from China was traveling to Europe between early nov and early 2020 when we knew it was out there in the wild ? I can tell you we were in Paris in Jan and amongst a sea of Chinese tourists in the louvre and many other places so I don’t think there is zero chance , slim perhaps but I don’t think zero. The er doc here was concerned about her travels ...and mine
I am an ER doc, and a member of the COVID-19 planning team and testing unit at one of the largest hospitals in Australia, and I’m married to a consultant physician in public health on our state COVID-19 task force. It’s human nature to jump to conclusions, and in some ways I can’t blame you, but in the end what is more likely, that you caught a commonly seen pneumonia, or that by some one in a billion chance you caught COVID at a time when it barely existed anywhere worldwide?

You are almost certainly going to get COVID-19 at some point, but I can guarantee you this was not it.
Old 15 March 2020, 12:20 AM   #1989
Moggo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, SD4K, Exp 1
Quote:
I am an ER doc, and a member of the COVID-19 planning team and testing unit at one of the largest hospitals in Australia, and I’m married to a consultant physician in public health on our state COVID-19 task force. It’s human nature to jump to conclusions, and in some ways I can’t blame you, but in the end what is more likely, that you caught a commonly seen pneumonia, or that by some one in a billion chance you caught COVID at a time when it barely existed anywhere worldwide?

You are almost certainly going to get COVID-19 at some point, but I can guarantee you this was not it.

Thank you for your input and your work in this area

Old 15 March 2020, 12:34 AM   #1990
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Not good. This virus will punish poor decisions. Spain was in decent shape, but now they are not.

MADRID — Just last weekend, about 120,000 people marched through downtown Madrid to celebrate International Women’s Day. Some 60,000 soccer fans filled one of the city’s largest stadiums. And 9,000 supporters of Vox, Spain’s third-largest party, gathered inside a former bullring.

Now Spain has the second-highest number of coronavirus infections of any European country, after Italy — overtaking the larger nations of France and Germany — and faces the fastest spreading contagion on the Continent.

Between last weekend and Friday, the number of cases in the country shot from several hundred to 4,200, with 120 deaths, and the prime minister warned that the number of cases could reach 10,000 by next week. That would give Spain one of the fastest rates of coronavirus contagion in the world.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/13/w...efFpfP_Fu0hgAw
Old 15 March 2020, 12:39 AM   #1991
Burlington
"TRF" Member

On the UK radio this afternoon I heard the initial strain in China was more dangerous than that which is now in Europe.

From what I’ve just seen coming first hand out of Italy, I wonder if that really is the case.

― Winston S. Churchill
Old 15 March 2020, 12:41 AM   #1992
andyxxx
"TRF" Member

Watch: with confusion
Quote:

You can’t guarantee anything of the sort.

The Virus has been in the public domain for at least 3 months and possibly a lot longer.

It is more than slightly likely that carriers of the virus were in many different countries of the world during this time, inevitably spreading it around.

It is likely many people have had it and become well and never given it a thought that it was anything but a cold/flu.
Old 15 March 2020, 12:52 AM   #1993
Acanthurus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggo View Post
Thank you for your input and your work in this area

All good mate, nice to feel useful
Old 15 March 2020, 01:06 AM   #1994
Acanthurus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyxxx View Post
You can’t guarantee anything of the sort.

The Virus has been in the public domain for at least 3 months and possibly a lot longer.

It is more than slightly likely that carriers of the virus were in many different countries of the world during this time, inevitably spreading it around.

It is likely many people have had it and become well and never given it a thought that it was anything but a cold/flu.
Andy you are right, no one can 100% guarantee you did not have it. What I am saying is the time you mention people atypical pneumonia or other causes for the symptoms you described outnumbered those with COVID by probably around 50 million to one, even in China.
Old 15 March 2020, 01:11 AM   #1995
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Not good. This virus will punish poor decisions. Spain was in decent shape, but now they are not.

MADRID — Just last weekend, about 120,000 people marched through downtown Madrid to celebrate International Women’s Day. Some 60,000 soccer fans filled one of the city’s largest stadiums. And 9,000 supporters of Vox, Spain’s third-largest party, gathered inside a former bullring.

Now Spain has the second-highest number of coronavirus infections of any European country, after Italy — overtaking the larger nations of France and Germany — and faces the fastest spreading contagion on the Continent.

Between last weekend and Friday, the number of cases in the country shot from several hundred to 4,200, with 120 deaths, and the prime minister warned that the number of cases could reach 10,000 by next week. That would give Spain one of the fastest rates of coronavirus contagion in the world.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/13/w...efFpfP_Fu0hgAw
Yup, looks like Spain is gaining momentum. Rapid rise.
Old 15 March 2020, 01:31 AM   #1996
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Spain is on lockdown. Jet2 jets turned back midair. Government may use emergency powers to restrict movement and ration goods.

Here are two sides of the media coin to the same effect.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...virus-lockdown

https://www.foxnews.com/world/spain-...kdown-airlines
Old 15 March 2020, 02:40 AM   #1997
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
US President just stated in news conference that Monday we will be adding GB etc to Europe travel ban. He also advised American citizens not to travel domestically unless necessary.
Old 15 March 2020, 02:45 AM   #1998
Boothroyd
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Wilsdorf(s)
I see the US Department of Defense has just issued an order than their personnel, families and civilian employees are not to travel by air WITHIN the US, barring medical emergency or humanitarian efforts. That is a very telling development, IMHO.

Edit: I thought it was for air travel. Apparently, it is for ALL domestic travel.
Old 15 March 2020, 03:13 AM   #1999
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thanks for the input Doc. I wasn’t jumping to conclusion simply stating it was possible but regardless keep up the good work PROTECT yourself and let’s all work together on this
Old 15 March 2020, 03:25 AM   #2000
nilel
"TRF" Member

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavi ... d3d9cd99ca

Please read article and if you are in a position of power or influence or are friendly with people that are in power or influence you need to forward to them and they need to take care of this problem ASAP.

We need to close all businesses asap, close border to travellers

Share this with everyone asap
Old 15 March 2020, 03:38 AM   #2001
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilel View Post

Please read article and if you are in a position of power or influence or are friendly with people that are in power or influence you need to forward to them and they need to take care of this problem ASAP.

That link doesn’t work.

As a business owner, I’ve debated this. But it would destroy me. And the livelihood of all of my team. Fast.

Old 15 March 2020, 03:50 AM   #2002
Cryten
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
On the UK radio this afternoon I heard the initial strain in China was more dangerous than that which is now in Europe.

From what I’ve just seen coming first hand out of Italy, I wonder if that really is the case.
I listened to an interview with a virologist who said viruses tend to mutate into less deadly forms over time, as killing your host quickly isn't a good survival strategy.

We can hope that's already happening. I've seen 2 strains identified and reported. There must me more mutations by now.
Old 15 March 2020, 04:20 AM   #2003
EndlessEight

Watch: Hulk, BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryten View Post
I listened to an interview with a virologist who said viruses tend to mutate into less deadly forms over time, as killing your host quickly isn't a good survival strategy.

We can hope that's already happening. I've seen 2 strains identified and reported. There must me more mutations by now.
Sounds about right.

It also seems like exposure level plays into the severity of illness as well.
Old 15 March 2020, 05:10 AM   #2004
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilel View Post

This suggestion is utter nonsense to close all businesses. How would people deal with home problems, plumbing, electrical or roofing emergencies. This would be like those movies of the dark ages, every home is uprooted and destroyed because no one is in business. Ludicrous.
Old 15 March 2020, 05:15 AM   #2005
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

I just heard that cannabis cures this virus.

Old 15 March 2020, 05:21 AM   #2006
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Old 15 March 2020, 05:22 AM   #2007
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Adds some validity, for sure.

But not much substance behind that either.

Either way, the message is a good one. I’m not sure anyone is “laughing” at the hysteria. But anything that convinced people to exercise caution is good.

Just hoping most people will balance caution with sense. So far we are seeing what appears to be a lot of unnecessary hysteria. Ie fighting for toilet paper and such examples.
Very well said Seth, reasonable precautions are definitely in order, but this mass hysteria is ridiculous and a sad representation of the human race. For the love of GOD people, brain-eating zombies are not on the loose, maybe we should hold off selling everything for gold and ammunition and Fleeing to the hills. And when did toilet paper become a cure for a virus?
Old 15 March 2020, 05:44 AM   #2008
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
nm
Old 15 March 2020, 05:51 AM   #2009
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seibei View Post
Interesting. According to the math that means that there are 4000 billion people in China with atypical pneumonia or other causes. Does that make sense to you?
50 million times 80 thousand = 4 thousand million = 4000 billion
The world's population is currently around 7.8 billion....

Let's keep this sane and rational please.

I believe he was referring to the timeframe months ago - before there were many COVID cases counted in China.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 15 March 2020, 05:59 AM   #2010
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Quote:
Holy crap, I was talking to someone this morning and he said the same thing....Maybe there is some truth to this......Buy weed stocks!! APHA
Closed Thread