The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 15 January 2023, 02:21 AM   #31
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by francoamerican View Post
There are other markets beyond AD markets though of course. I can buy just about anything in recent production from Patek and have it tomorrow. If having your application approved for that 5204r adds monetary value though, it isn’t showing up in the asking prices in the secondary markets.

Still amazing though - and much cooler than any $300k nautilus or RO.
Coming in friendly… I think he was saying, if it’s an application piece > presumably any purchase is from someone with a previous PP purchase history > the nautilus gate has already opened without a purchase of a 5204, per the previous post suggested.
~JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2023, 04:34 AM   #32
francoamerican
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~JJ View Post
Coming in friendly… I think he was saying, if it’s an application piece > presumably any purchase is from someone with a previous PP purchase history > the nautilus gate has already opened without a purchase of a 5204, per the previous post suggested.
Yes I think that makes sense if you’re looking for your first bite at the apple, but when you want your 5968 after your 5712 and 5711 and 5990 I would expect this creates that opportunity. I can’t think of any other explanation for why so many are available at below MSRP, but I’m open to new information.

I agree it is backwards since the 5204 are better watches by almost all measures but that’s where I think things are. I think it’s way cooler to wear something like this than any of the Patek sports. Maybe for times the 5204 would be totally out of character a 5968. (5004a and 5968a and I think I’d be good :)
francoamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2023, 08:29 AM   #33
Tonski74
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5204-011; 5270-001
Quote:
Originally Posted by francoamerican View Post

I can’t think of any other explanation for why so many are available at below MSRP, but I’m open to new information.
Out of curiosity does anyone have any intel with respect to knowing how many of the C24 listings are actual watches for sale? I was under the impression that some of the listings are not actually backed by a watch on hand (for example the dealer would go and source the watch for the buyer post sale…)

This may explain the high listing count for a new(ish) watch which presumably is in relatively low production.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tonski74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2023, 08:49 AM   #34
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonski74 View Post
Out of curiosity does anyone have any intel with respect to knowing how many of the C24 listings are actual watches for sale? I was under the impression that some of the listings are not actually backed by a watch on hand (for example the dealer would go and source the watch for the buyer post sale…)

This may explain the high listing count for a new(ish) watch which presumably is in relatively low production.

Many are not in a dealer's stock (new or used). I’m not sure how you’d assemble reliable stats.
bobernet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2023, 08:56 AM   #35
francoamerican
"TRF" Member

Tim Mosso mentioned that when they have a live photo of a watch that’s a pretty good clue. Obviously they can take other peoples photos but it’s not trivial and it’s going to hurt their reputation to show another watch and not disclose it. If they have a price that’s also going to be fairly binding if they have to source it. A lot of the asking prices especially on “hot” watches are way too high but nobody is going to offer a watch at too low a price” A stock photo and price on request still means they think they can get it.

I don’t have experience buying and selling high dollar pieces but I’ve never had any issues buying at chrono24. The prices on there are similar to what watchbox or keystone or Eric wind ask and those are all good to go.
Old 15 January 2023, 09:15 AM   #36
Tonski74
"TRF" Member

I think the below-MSRP pricing may have to do with the fact that it is not easy to sell watches at this price point. The market simply is not that liquid.

Therefore, irrespective of the sellers motivations, the seller may feel motivated to discount in order to attract a buyer.

When I purchased my 5204 I realized that if I ever wanted to sell it would be harder to offload such an expensive watch (instead of several less expensive watches) and a I might get a haircut!

Old 15 January 2023, 09:25 AM   #37
francoamerican
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonski74 View Post
I think the below-MSRP pricing may have to do with the fact that it is not easy to sell watches at this price point. The market simply is not that liquid.

Therefore, irrespective of the sellers motivations, the seller may feel motivated to discount in order to attract a buyer.

When I purchased my 5204 I realized that if I ever wanted to sell it would be harder to offload such an expensive watch (instead of several less expensive watches) and a I might get a haircut!

It’s rare air for sure. I am surprised there are examples for sale at all.
Old 15 January 2023, 09:35 AM   #38
Tonski74
"TRF" Member

Lol my finance people looked at me like I just landed in a spaceship when they found out about the 5204… definitely not something they recommended and not a watch you want to be buying if you need the money again soon.

If people are buying these types of watches to get access to sports models they must have a super high risk tolerance. If it was me in their shoes I would just buy the sports model Grey and not have the headaches… but who knows what kind of strategies people come up with!

Old 16 January 2023, 01:09 AM   #39
Nico81
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
Quote:
Originally Posted by myk7000 View Post
I often see threads where people ask: "Should I collect a couple low/mid level Patek VERSUS consolide to that top of the mountain 5204, 5270, 5370 grand comp."

I haven't quite reached the top of the mountain myself yet- but find myself struggling on whether I ever really SHOULD. I imagine there are downsides to owning these pieces (tempted to baby them, maintenance costs, WR, stigma of owning $200K on wrist, theft possibility, etc.). On the other hand, they are some of the finest timepieces in the world and to own them could be an honor and sincere source of pride.

For those who have consolidated or purchased those top level Pateks, my question is whether those pieces have brought you to the next level in love for the watch itself, or if ultimately they just become another watch in your collection - equally beloved as a simple Calatrava, annual calendar, or chronograph?

Check out ALS watches… its like being born again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nico81 is offline   Reply With Quote