The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 22 January 2023, 01:18 PM   #1
rolex75216
"TRF" Member

How do you let someone know you like their watch?

Is there a proper etiquette that you use? Do you just come out and say, "Hey, I like your watch!"
Old 22 January 2023, 01:27 PM   #2
Star Ferry
Banned

I would suggest not saying anything. If they’re anything like the typical poster in the TRF Rolex General forum, their response will be some combination of smug, condescending, and dismissive. The average person with a pricey watch is a loser trying to compensate for low self esteem, so 9 times out of 10 you will walk away regretting the interaction.
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2023, 02:43 PM   #3
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolex75216 View Post
Is there a proper etiquette that you use? Do you just come out and say, "Hey, I like your watch!"
Personally, I usually refrain. The only time I recall ever saying something to someone in public about their watch was a Panerai Bronzo. Rarely, is someone going to be wearing a watch like that who isn't "into" watches, so I figured a compliment wouldn't be too awkward seeing how I too was wearing a Panerai at the time. That was the one and only time I've seen that watch in the wild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
I would suggest not saying anything. If they’re anything like the typical poster in the TRF Rolex General forum, their response will be some combination of smug, condescending, and dismissive. The average person with a pricey watch is a loser trying to compensate for low self esteem, so 9 times out of 10 you will walk away regretting the interaction.
You must be a blast to hang out with! Hopefully, you are just trolling trying to get a rise out of people, otherwise I do feel bad for you if that is your general outlook on people.
donas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2023, 02:48 PM   #4
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:

Was that a Freudian Slip?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2023, 02:50 PM   #5
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Quote:
Meanwhile 4,796 posts on TRF.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2023, 02:54 PM   #6
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

How do you let someone know you like their watch?

Quote:

The answer is as varied as the number of psyches and temperaments amongst Rolex owners. It’s also contextual.

On the street, a stranger’s comment might feel awkward.

But on a plane in first class, a seatmate’s comment might kindle a warm convo.

The last time someone noticed a watch of mine was at Indy as a team principle was leaving my Stewards room and I waved goodbye - he stopped in his tracks and asked, “Is that a Platona”?

That led to a longer convo that made a new friend. He now has one when we met again at VIR.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2023, 02:59 PM   #7
DocHorton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf, DD40, SkyD.
Quote:
I just say, "Hey man, I like your watch", or "I like that Sub" or something similar. No different than telling someone "Nice shoes" or "Nice car" or anything else. A compliment doesn't have to be complicated.

I've had dozens of folks compliment my car or watch and it's never been weird, but I'm not uptight.
DocHorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2023, 03:12 PM   #8
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by donas View Post
Personally, I usually refrain. The only time I recall ever saying something to someone in public about their watch was a Panerai Bronzo. Rarely, is someone going to be wearing a watch like that who isn't "into" watches, so I figured a compliment wouldn't be too awkward seeing how I too was wearing a Panerai at the time. That was the one and only time I've seen that watch in the wild.

You must be a blast to hang out with! Hopefully, you are just trolling trying to get a rise out of people, otherwise I do feel bad for you if that is your general outlook on people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Was that a Freudian Slip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondoggy View Post
Meanwhile 4,796 posts on TRF.
Thanks for the pile on, boys. Glad you could be relied on for something. But I’ll stand by my viewpoint. Most guys wearing an expensive watch are not watch enthusiasts, and in most cases complimenting their watch will backfire painfully
Old 22 January 2023, 03:22 PM   #9
Malum
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 D-Blue
You steal it .
Malum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2023, 03:30 PM   #10
DocHorton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf, DD40, SkyD.
DocHorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2023, 03:38 PM   #11
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thanks for the pile on, boys. Glad you could be relied on for something. But I’ll stand by my viewpoint. Most guys wearing an expensive watch are not watch enthusiasts, and in most cases complimenting their watch will backfire painfully
Have you been drinking?
Old 22 January 2023, 03:39 PM   #12
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al1969 View Post
Have you been drinking?
Sober as a nun
Old 22 January 2023, 03:46 PM   #13
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
I gauge the situation, so it depends. I've complemented several times in public with no ill effects from what I recall.

Was sitting on a plane waiting to take off and I noticed this guy's watch (Rolex sports something). He was on his phone, talking business (loud). He gave off this redneck Florida man with money vibe. He would be an example on who I would NOT engage.
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2023, 09:59 PM   #14
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
I compliment people all the time. On anything. Their name, shoes, briefcase, hat etc.

And of course their watch.

99 out of 100 times it leads to a nice interaction. On a very rare occasion someone might brush me off. In which case, I shrug it off.

Don’t overthink think it. Just say what you think. Everyone likes a compliment. Even if they don’t think they do.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2023, 10:12 PM   #15
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF_Rob View Post
He gave off this redneck Florida man with money vibe. He would be an example on who I would NOT engage.

Ouch.

Sent from my Apple privacy invasion product
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2023, 10:12 PM   #16
ExplorerI
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer I
I’m unlikely to comment unless I get to know them a bit or it’s an interesting piece like vintage.
ExplorerI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2023, 10:13 PM   #17
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
I compliment people all the time. On anything. Their name, shoes, briefcase, hat etc.

99 out of 100 times it leads to a nice interaction. On a very rare occasion someone might brush me off. In which case, I shrug it off.

Don’t overthink think it. Just say what you think. Everyone likes a compliment. Even if they don’t think they do.
Thanks for the positive comment Seth.

I agree, who doesn’t feel a bit better after giving and receiving a nice compliment?
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2023, 10:13 PM   #18
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post

My man, I’m the same way!!

I will not try to engage in conversation if they’re on the phone or look to be in a rush though.

Old 22 January 2023, 10:14 PM   #19
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

I usually say something along the lines of “That’s a great watch!!”

Old 22 January 2023, 10:26 PM   #20
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoat View Post
I usually say something along the lines of “That’s a great watch!!”

Yes, it’s sort of situational isn’t it.

I’m usually a fairly good judge of character. It’s pretty easy to spot someone who is open to a conversation or a compliment IMHO.

Given the right circumstance I might say something along the lines of “I hope you don’t mind me saying, but that’s a nice looking watch”.

I’d also be cognizant of the surroundings so as not to make a big deal of it
Old 22 January 2023, 10:50 PM   #21
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

Smile, nod at wrist, say “nice watch” and move on.
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2023, 10:57 PM   #22
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Breguet Typexx
Just 2 weekends ago a gentleman complimented my explorer 2 while at the mall. Some small talk about watches resulted in him buying the watch off me right on the spot. He wired the money right there.
Kinnakeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2023, 10:59 PM   #23
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinnakeet View Post
Just 2 weekends ago a gentleman complimented my explorer 2 while at the mall. Some small talk about watches resulted in him buying the watch off me right on the spot. He wired the money right there.
Now that’s the definition of an impulse buy Michelle
Old 22 January 2023, 11:27 PM   #24
cartesian Product
Banned

Quote:
I have to ask…did the conversation start off with you saying, “Psssstttt….” then pulling up your raincoat sleeve? 🤔
cartesian Product is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2023, 11:30 PM   #25
mjm700
"TRF" Member

Thread reminds me of being approached by a man while shopping with my wife a few years ago. I honestly can't recall what watch I was wearing but he offered a nice complement that lead to him showing me his SD octopus di stato (or whatever those are called). I had never seen one and it was great to hear his journey to locate one. Glad he offered the complement. I would probably offer more complements but I really don't look - guess I'm too self absorbed! :)
mjm700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2023, 11:33 PM   #26
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Seriously? Wow! Maybe there is no potential scam, but I'd be really leery of that. Glad it worked out.

I don't really compliment watch wearers unless I know them somewhat. I could see on a plane it might be different.
Old 22 January 2023, 11:40 PM   #27
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Yes, it’s sort of situational isn’t it.

I’m usually a fairly good judge of character. It’s pretty easy to spot someone who is open to a conversation or a compliment IMHO.

Given the right circumstance I might say something along the lines of “I hope you don’t mind me saying, but that’s a nice looking watch”.

I’d also be cognizant of the surroundings so as not to make a big deal of it
Excellent post. I agree completely.

It’s usually easy to see when someone may not be receptive to an interaction with a stranger. Otherwise, there’s no harm in a compliment.

I compliment people on their exceptional cars, suits, dress shoes, and watches. Often a pleasant conversation arises.
Maleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2023, 11:43 PM   #28
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

i simply say, "Am an admirer of fine timepieces, love what you're wearing" while also showing them my wrist so they know am a big fan too. Have met and struck up quite a few conversations over the decades.

What does surprise me a bit, is i'd say about 70% of Rolex / PP wearers get a timepiece because it's a Rolex / PP. When i run into those wearing Breguet, Omega, Bvlgari, etc, they seem to be more 'personally involved' as to why / what timepiece they chose to wear. jmho
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2023, 11:46 PM   #29
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

I usually try to get a read on the person, also depends on time and place. I will try to offer a simply compliment if/when I feel it’s appropriate. That has lead to some nice conversations and I have been utter dismissed as well. I will not let the latter from ruining it for future attempts.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2023, 11:52 PM   #30
cartesian Product
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
I disagree. A person, who is average, who buys a Rolex often believes they have joined a club. They are thrilled whenever anyone notices and will talk endlessly about it. They also work their watch into a topic about wine, cigars, and spirits.

A person who buys a Rolex not thinking they are joining a club will just stay ‘thank you’.

Quote:
Is there a proper etiquette that you use?
When appropriate, why not just compliment? You will receive a polite thank you, and it may start a conversation.
cartesian Product is offline   Reply With Quote