The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 23 January 2023, 05:20 PM   #1
Carguy87
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: JC 126660
Hot water heater

Hi guys maybe a dumb question to some but hoping for some advice. Our hot water heater is about 9 years old, and recently I had it fully serviced which included a new expansion tank installation (the old one had failed), a couple valve replacements, as well as a full drain / clean out service. My wife is now complaining the hot water doesn’t last her full shower even when no other hot water has been used for hours beforehand. We have been having colder temperatures here (around 18 degrees Fahrenheit at night) so I know the cold water being mixed with the hot is colder than in spring or summer. Still, it seems like something else might not be working correctly; anyone have any suggestions or am I about to be on the hook for a new unit?
Carguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2023, 05:58 PM   #2
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BoctokKomandirskie
Perhaps you should check the thermostat setting. They might have set it at a lower temp.
We have some very hard water where I live and relief valves, expansion tanks etc do suffer from limescale buildup. I've found that setting a lower thermostat temp helps a great deal in preserving these safety fittings but in winter there certainly seems to be less hot water available.
Old 23 January 2023, 06:45 PM   #3
Sperry
"TRF" Member

Electric, there are two temp controls, I think. Behind the element plates. Gas, just the one temp knob on the gas valve.

A fractured dip tube would cause cold water to immediately mix with outgoing hot, so that’s not likely the issue. After a nationwide failure and warranty replacement of these dip tubes in the 1990s, it’s no longer a common issue.
Sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2023, 07:09 PM   #4
winst
"TRF" Member

I’d suggest getting the firm back who serviced the equipment as it is not functioning properly since the work was done.
winst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2023, 09:15 PM   #5
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Sounds like your water temperature control is not set properly.
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2023, 09:21 PM   #6
THC

Watch: 16610M
Quote:
Originally Posted by winst View Post
I’d suggest getting the firm back who serviced the equipment as it is not functioning properly since the work was done.
This, 100%
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2023, 09:34 PM   #7
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
The normal failure mode for water heaters is a tank leak. With a good tank your heater can last decades.

IME service guys always leave the heater temperature set too low. One company said it was to prevent scalding and I was free to turn it back up myself. Check your thermostat setting. Adjust it hotter, then if you still have the problem call your service company back.

If it is a bad heater, I recommend Bradford-White as a replacement.
Maleg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2023, 11:37 PM   #8
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

Ditto to others, they likely set it to the “energy saving” temp of 120. They could also have set a different temp for one of the elements. I’d definitely call them and have them reset temps to your liking and check to make sure both elements are working. It’s easy to check the temp settings yourself first, google it.
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2023, 11:43 PM   #9
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I know it’s not what you’re asking, but if you do need to replace perhaps you might want to look at a tankless water heater. They use less water and are more efficient to operate.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2023, 01:00 AM   #10
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carguy87 View Post
..Hot water heater...
Why would someone want to heat water that's already hot?

Seriously, you didn't mention actually looking at the thing. My water heater sometimes, maybe caused by a short power outage or surge, will reset itself to the "vacation" setting. If you haven't already, check the control setting.

Sent using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2023, 01:05 AM   #11
Carguy87

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post

Sent using Tapatalk
Nothing gets past you lol . In my defense it was late last night and I’m battling a head cold so I’m a little foggy.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions; I have just turned the temp up even more so if that doesn’t resolve her concern I’ll call the service company back out. Then if it’s not a service issue but just a capacity issue I’ll probably switch to a tankless setup as Brandrea recommended so she can’t run out lol.
Old 24 January 2023, 01:29 AM   #12
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I know it’s not what you’re asking, but if you do need to replace perhaps you might want to look at a tankless water heater. They use less water and are more efficient to operate.
How does it use less water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
Thank you. I was going to mention this as well.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2023, 01:35 AM   #13
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
How does it use less water?

Thank you. I was going to mention this as well.
I should have said it has to heat less water. Use is about the same, unless you dial it down and make people take cold showers
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2023, 01:53 AM   #14
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
... make people take cold showers
You Canadians are built of tougher stuff than your neighbors to the South.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2023, 07:20 PM   #15
le_boudin
Banned

Change it ASAP. I had very bad experience, mine went caput on its 7th year.
le_boudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2023, 02:52 AM   #16
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Hi guys maybe a dumb question to some but hoping for some advice. Our hot water heater is about 9 years old, and recently I had it fully serviced which included a new expansion tank installation (the old one had failed), a couple valve replacements, as well as a full drain / clean out service. My wife is now complaining the hot water doesn’t last her full shower even when no other hot water has been used for hours beforehand. We have been having colder temperatures here (around 18 degrees Fahrenheit at night) so I know the cold water being mixed with the hot is colder than in spring or summer. Still, it seems like something else might not be working correctly; anyone have any suggestions or am I about to be on the hook for a new unit?

Not to sound like a rich ass but never repair a hot water heater over 8yrs old unless you owe a plumber money. Order a new one and get a pro to install it and haul the old one away. It’s only about 30-40% more but it’s new and you’re not just waiting for more things to fail.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2023, 03:43 AM   #17
Easy E

Check the heating elements. If those were not replaced at the last service they are likely the culprit. They are not super expensive but you have to drain the tank. Cheaper if you drain than pay the plumber to watch it drain.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2023, 03:45 AM   #18
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Watch: Panerai 112
I second Chewbaca "never repair a hot water heater over 8yrs old unless you owe a plumber money. Order a new one and get a pro to install it and haul the old one away. It’s only about 30-40% more but it’s new and you’re not just waiting for more things to fail"..
michaelodonnell123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2023, 05:09 AM   #19
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
I've either heard of or seen too many instances of broken hoses, fill switch failures and rusted tanks. If it can fail and cause water damage to my house it gets replaced, not repaired. That goes for washing machines (behind doors, does not need to match dryer), dishwasher and water heater.
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2023, 05:59 AM   #20
Carguy87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Not to sound like a rich ass but never repair a hot water heater over 8yrs old unless you owe a plumber money. Order a new one and get a pro to install it and haul the old one away. It’s only about 30-40% more but it’s new and you’re not just waiting for more things to fail.
You don’t sound like a rich ass lol you have a very fair point; think this is the direction I’m gonna go. Just was being cheap trying to get through the holidays and such without shelling out for a new one, but it seems I may have “thrown good money after bad” by doing the repairs and servicing instead of just scrapping it for a new unit. Thanks for the input everyone I appreciate it!
Old 27 January 2023, 06:06 AM   #21
dkg1616
"TRF" Member

Can it and get a 199k BTU 11GPM tankless
dkg1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2023, 06:22 AM   #22
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
You don’t sound like a rich ass lol you have a very fair point; think this is the direction I’m gonna go. Just was being cheap trying to get through the holidays and such without shelling out for a new one, but it seems I may have “thrown good money after bad” by doing the repairs and servicing instead of just scrapping it for a new unit. Thanks for the input everyone I appreciate it!
I have a 9 plumbers on staff to manage my portfolio of 10000 unfinished or abandoned homes I bought at 1/10th the price in 2008 and now rent at annual rents worth more than I paid. Or about $10b in RE value.

That’s a lot of tanks. Not including my own mansions and
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2023, 06:29 AM   #23
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Quote:
Avoid Lowes and Home Depot water heaters. You’ll be repeating the exercise in a couple years.

The best tank brand is Bradford-White (enameled tanks and high quality controllers). Post pandemic they are around $1100 for a 50 gallon heater, plus installation. (Ask me how I know that. LOL)

The tankless are great, but your house needs to be amenable to it. My older home wasn’t an easy install and staying with the tank was a better option.
Maleg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2023, 03:17 PM   #24
Carguy87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleg View Post
Avoid Lowes and Home Depot water heaters. You’ll be repeating the exercise in a couple years.

The best tank brand is Bradford-White (enameled tanks and high quality controllers). Post pandemic they are around $1100 for a 50 gallon heater, plus installation. (Ask me how I know that. LOL)

The tankless are great, but your house needs to be amenable to it. My older home wasn’t an easy install and staying with the tank was a better option.
Thanks G! I’ll look into those! My house is newer (built in 2014) so I might consider the tankless option as well if the install isn’t too prohibitive.
Old 28 January 2023, 12:35 PM   #25
Jeanf
"TRF" Member

We had exactly the same problem. Wife was complaining water too cold. I didn’t mind at all. Finally, was a very easy fix: the « mixing valve » on the pipe above the heater was changed. Took 30 minutes. 250$ (CAD$...) fix.
Jeanf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2023, 12:48 PM   #26
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Chewie is right. I won't repair a 5-6 year old one.

Stay away from instant heaters. I had a really nice Rinnai with recirculating pump but it would go cold because it requires at least 2.5 gpm demand to stay on. Well even a 2.5 gpm shower head doesn't produce that flow rate at the point of load with pressure drops. This left me having to run the sink with every shower. Definitely didn't save water. Sorry lake mead.
Old 28 January 2023, 01:25 PM   #27
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
You Canadians are built of tougher stuff than your neighbors to the South.

I'm guessing you've never been in the military?

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2023, 02:40 AM   #28
RichardBartlett
"TRF" Member

Hard water kills heaters. Get a softener or filter etc
RichardBartlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2023, 03:32 AM   #29
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardBartlett View Post
Hard water kills heaters. Get a softener or filter etc

True but be sure to run on hard water for a week or two if new.

Running salt without a thin protective film of calcium hardness with dissolve your new tank very quickly also.
Old 29 January 2023, 04:26 AM   #30
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
I have to agree. 10 years is about what you should expect from a hot water heater. When the replacement comes have the installers check all of the water and gas fittings in that utlility room, too.

As noted above, your immediate issues will likely be solved by turning up the temp knob on the water heater.
BroncoOne is offline   Reply With Quote