The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 November 2017, 10:39 AM   #1
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 16750
The Rolex Sky-Dweller

Evening All,

Before setting out my two questions below, I just wanted to say how fabulous this forum is. I've been a fan of the brand for many years, and have yet to pull the trigger on my first. I'm in no way torn as to which one, as the clue is in the title. As seasoned Rolex owners, buyers, and sellers:

(1) do you think it's possible as a newbie to buy a SS SD in blue or black for RRP right now, or even in the next three months?

(2) do you think the SS SD will become more affordable--meaning RRP-- in the next 12 months, or do you think the watch will go the way of the SS Daytona and require joining a waiting list?

I ask because I have called many AD's on the East Coast (I'm based in VA), and no-one seems to have any. I mean no-one. I note that there are quite a few on the grey market for $17.5-20k, which makes me wonder if there are any with the AD's. It stands to reason that if the GM sellers can get them, then there must be some around. Of course, it could be that the current supply is with the GM due to owners flipping them due to their rarity and popularity.

I'm aiming to get this watch. Its just a question of when.

Any thoughts?

Best,
TA
The Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2017, 10:47 AM   #2
ZOOK
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

For the SS Skydweller there are more buyers (wearers and profiteers) than available from Rolex. You can either get on a list and wait your turn or pay a premium from to the folks that have one for sell.

Welcome to the wacky world of Rolex.
ZOOK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2017, 10:51 AM   #3
2th_doc
"TRF" Member

To answer your 1st question. No it is not possible for you to buy one at MSRP in the next 3 months. Sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2th_doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2017, 11:09 AM   #4
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
You may get very lucky and find one (I did...I passed...I still regret it!!), but the reason why they trade at a premium is because you can’t generally roll into an AD and buy one.

Much has been written here about how the grey market gets its stock - in summary (and to oversimplify) : volume purchases of hot and not so hot items and wide sourcing network

I think the margin between MSRP and market will narrow as the enthusiasm for this watch cools , but it will still command a premium over MSRP for some time to come
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2017, 11:11 AM   #5
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the lightening fast responses.

As seasoned Rolex followers, do you see the SS Skydweller going the way of the SS Daytona (I've heard its easier to become Pope than get one of these) or calming down and making its way quietly to RRP or near RRP territory?
Old 20 November 2017, 11:16 AM   #6
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Yes, I've been reading about the Rolex grey market, and that Rolex AD stocks are not due to be replenished until after the new year.

That's my view also: it'll be quite some time before a SS blue Sky-Dweller is to be found in an AD for sale at retail. I'm thinking at least 12-18 months.

Welcome to Rolex I suppose! Wacky indeed.
Old 20 November 2017, 11:17 AM   #7
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Argonaut View Post
Thanks for the lightening fast responses.

As seasoned Rolex followers, do you see the SS Skydweller going the way of the SS Daytona (I've heard its easier to become Pope than get one of these) or calming down and making its way quietly to RRP or near RRP territory?
I think the watch will cool....not as popular as most think it is in general imo.
sensui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2017, 11:18 AM   #8
ZOOK

Sorry, where are you? RRP is UK pricing, but you seem to be in VA, as in Virginia? USA pricing is MSRP.

No, I don't see the SkyD slowing down and becoming more readily available in the near future. But what do I know.

If you are willing to wait, you should get on as many lists as you can. Not sure, but I think this means walking in the door not reaching out over the phone. I suppose you could try calling several ADs and see if they will put you on a list without coming in.

I bow to the more experienced member.

Last edited by ZOOK; 20 November 2017 at 11:22 AM.. Reason: Add disclaimer
Old 20 November 2017, 11:25 AM   #9
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Watch: me go broke!
No chance this watch can be had from an AD from an unestablished customer in the next 3 months. Pay the premium or wait. I just purchased a TT for MSRP and I'll prob be waiting for much longer than that.
tbonesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2017, 11:26 AM   #10
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Sorry guys, I'm an UK expat based in the USA. You're quite right: MSRP, not RRP. Apologies. Also, thanks for the advice and thoughts all.

Sensui, do you think 12-18 months will see it cool down, or will Rolex limit supply to keep the pressure on?

Zook, may I ask why you think it wont become easier to get in the future? Is this because Rolex will limit supply?
Old 20 November 2017, 11:33 AM   #11
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

It's kinda funny where you find some of these hard to buy Rolex watches. Here I was in Curitiba, it's the capital of the southern Brazilian state of Parana. Just a beautiful city on the eastern side of Southern Brasil. I've never seen so many Range Rovers, high end cars all in one place. And the buildings being built for housing are incredible.

Walked in to the mall and told her what I wanted to see and was back to look at it in 23 hours. It was a stunning white dial and they could've brought over the blue but I already have a blue dial..

It's funny how all this works at the time you least expect it. Small Jewelry store with ROLEX AD with 6 on display that were TT different references and all I had to do was ask.

On a different note New York has opened Costco up to sell wine and liquor.. yesterday pictures

My Costco doesn't carry Insignia, this one did. Plus some really nice other wines at prices that are equal to internet shops but no shipping

Sent from my iPad while on the beach
Old 20 November 2017, 11:33 AM   #12
rexG
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
I just called about every AD here in Southern California today. One said “you’re cute” when I asked about a SS Sky-dweller with blue dial....
116619LB SMURF
rexG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2017, 11:34 AM   #13
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Well, the price has cooled off from low 20k-ish to mid 18k-ish for BNIB examples in the last three months or so...in the gray market. True, it's not been sighted much at any AD, anywhere. My AD told me they were told to expect their first "sometime in 2018."

So, whatever that all means, I don't know. I don't think you're going to see the same level of premium or lack of availability as the Daytona, however.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2017, 11:35 AM   #14
ZOOK

My response is based strictly on what I have read around here. S/S SkyDweller and DaytonaC are very popular and have been for a while.
Old 20 November 2017, 11:55 AM   #15
Damgliam
"TRF" Member

Watch: me ski
1) No, unless you are lucky, like walking to a Las Vegas AD where they don't keep a list and just received one in.
2) I do think it will become more available over 12-18 months. I think if you put your name on a list you could have one within that timeframe and maybe less. This is not a Daytona. But that is just my opinion.

Was in my AD today and checked in on my SS Sky-Dweller order. They explained Rolex hit their sales goal for this year so things will be more available in February / March. Skinny SS selection in the displays, which they also pointed out.
Damgliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2017, 11:58 AM   #16
peterpl
Banned

I can see the price is cooling now as well. You can see these for high 16's now. Before they are asking 18s for them.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2017, 12:49 PM   #17
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Evening All,

What a fabulous bunch you are. I really appreciate your thoughts and feedback.

Its a funny thing. I came across one about four months ago, and it really left an impression. I wasn't in the market, so didn't think too much about it. However, as the days went by, I couldn't help but think--daily--"that's one of the most gorgeous watches I've ever seen."

Thus, I slowly--too slowly for the market it seems--came around to the idea of buying one. Thus, here I find myself looking at either paying $4-6k over the MSRP, or joining the queue until... well, sometime in 2018 perhaps?

I presume the best way to get high on a list is to pay outright for the watch in advance, or doesn't that cut it as lots of others have done the same thing (and have b ought from the AD before)? I've heard that Rolex like Ferrari (which I don't own. I have kids instead!) is a brand you have to buy your way into. Curious.

Best.
TA
Old 20 November 2017, 12:52 PM   #18
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Also, I note that the average price right now on Chrono24 is around $18-19.5k. I suspect that the end of year shortages and Christmas are pushing up the price.

Still, what a wonderful watch to wait for. I like all three, and would take any of them. However, I'd prefer blue, then black, then white. A real first world problem.
Old 20 November 2017, 01:56 PM   #19
ZOOK

FYI there is a classified sales section here. You might drop down there and see if someone has an sd there
Old 20 November 2017, 02:02 PM   #20
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Sensui, do you think 12-18 months will see it cool down, or will Rolex limit supply to keep the pressure on?
I think the watch itself isn't one with long Rolex heritage hence not as desirable as iconic sports lines Rolex has had for decades. The premium now definitely is fueled by hype (new release) and shortage. This supply problem however is interesting...I somewhat believe that Rolex sold too many sports watches on stainless this year hence cutting back distribution to fulfill non profit requirements.....however I have a feeling a price increase this upcoming year would explain this shortage as well. Sorry I don't have a crystal ball, just speculating on what I've observed.
sensui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2017, 02:10 PM   #21
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Five years from now when it's selling below list I'll have had the pleasure of owning one from day one. Love mine. There's opportunity to get the watch depending on who you're dealing with. One forum member contacted the shop I got mine at and is on their next delivery. He hadn't previously ordered anything through them. He did have to put down a deposit which is what I had to do as well. He looking for early 2018.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2017, 02:44 PM   #22
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys. Hog, PM sent.
Old 20 November 2017, 02:53 PM   #23
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
I think the watch itself isn't one with long Rolex heritage hence not as desirable as iconic sports lines Rolex has had for decades. The premium now definitely is fueled by hype (new release) and shortage. This supply problem however is interesting...I somewhat believe that Rolex sold too many sports watches on stainless this year hence cutting back distribution to fulfill non profit requirements.....however I have a feeling a price increase this upcoming year would explain this shortage as well. Sorry I don't have a crystal ball, just speculating on what I've observed.
Hi Sensui,

So you think all SS watches are due an increase in 2018, or the Sky Dweller in particular?
Old 20 November 2017, 03:03 PM   #24
dcash0615
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es
Typically when Rolex raises prices it’s across the board and not on a specific model only. Who knows what Rolex is up to and what they will do. Pure speculation at this point.
dcash0615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2017, 03:12 PM   #25
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcash0615 View Post
Typically when Rolex raises prices it’s across the board and not on a specific model only. Who knows what Rolex is up to and what they will do. Pure speculation at this point.
Interesting. I wonder if the SS Sky Dwellers increased in price and remained as rare as they are presently, whether the grey market price would increase or would the gap between MSRP and grey price close a little?
Old 20 November 2017, 03:14 PM   #26
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Watch: me go broke!
Quote:
Interesting. I wonder if the SS Sky Dwellers increased in price and remained as rare as they are presently, whether the grey market price would increase or would the gap between MSRP and grey price close a little?
If difficulty of obtaining stayed the same in 2018 as 2017 and the MSRP went up, no question at all IMO the grey price would rise too.

It's a simple supply/demand equation. In the above scenario, only one thing will drop the price (outside of a lot more production), and as of now I'm not seeing that happen.
tbonesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2017, 03:20 PM   #27
dcash0615
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es
The SS SkyD is a great deal at MSRP. I was surprised that Rolex priced it at $14,400.
dcash0615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2017, 05:24 PM   #28
mahefa
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes
Swiss waiting lists for Blue Sky-Dweller are approx 3-5 years at the moment, just like Daytona C. Only that Daytona C got this level of waiting lists in 1 year time, Blue Sky-Dweller had these lists before it was published. Of course the lists of Blue Sky-Dweller grew so rapidly because of Daytona C, as people learned that without early adopting the wait will be years.
♛Deepsea Blue -17 ♛ Deepsea Blue -19 ♛Deepsea Black ♛Explorer I ♛Explorer II ♛ Explorer 1 ♛GMT-Master II BLNR ♛ Sky-Dweller Blue ♛ Sky-Dweller Black ♛ AirKing ♛ Day-Date 40 Platinum ♛ Daytona C White ♛ Submariner LVc ♛ Two-Tone Submariner ♛ Day-Date 36 ♛ Datejust 41 grey ♛
mahefa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2017, 05:35 PM   #29
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Patience is a virtue
Personally I would not pay over list, but than again I find the list price of a SS Skydweller really a bargain compared to the other models.
Maybe make an exception ..
Old 20 November 2017, 06:50 PM   #30
regnant
"TRF" Member

You may come across two tone variants of the model though. When I was told that Sky Dweller would be as hard as finding a Rolex Daytona 116500 LN, I said really and didn't believe it would be as difficult as Rolex Daytona 116500 LN. Now, I justify it really is.
I'm not in the rush so I can wait until I get a call �� from AD