The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 21 November 2017, 11:25 PM   #1
nolawis
Banned

Watch: 1675
Tudor Black Bay Dark PVD durability

I've seen quite a few threads on the topic of the Black Bay Dark and thoughts about how the PVD will hold up but none of them seem to have been updated by BB Dark owners. My son wants one and I'm curious if anyone who owns the watch and wears it regularly has an opinion on the ruggedness of the coating.

Thanks.

Nw
nolawis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2017, 11:30 PM   #2
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
i would get it on leather strap. pvd can always scratch.

why not tempt him with the black shield instead on leather?

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 01:30 AM   #3
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

I can’t speak to the BB, but I think that with any PVD watch, you have to accept the fact that they’ll eventually start getting rubbed to the steel around the edges, which can look pretty cool IMO.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 01:42 AM   #4
DonBateman
Banned

Watch: I like watch
The BB Dark is a beautiful watch. I would get it on the distressed leather band so that at least the band wont show markings or scratches. I think a few marks here and there will add to the look as well.
DonBateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 01:57 AM   #5
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
I can’t speak to the BB, but I think that with any PVD watch, you have to accept the fact that they’ll eventually start getting rubbed to the steel around the edges, which can look pretty cool IMO.

This. I so bad want to buy one and have the watchmaker go to town on the case with a Polishing wheel. And maybe add all red hands. And maybe put on an Erika’s black strap with a red stripe. Maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 02:02 AM   #6
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdex75 View Post
This. I so bad want to buy one and have the watchmaker go to town on the case with a Polishing wheel. And maybe add all red hands. And maybe put on an Erika’s black strap with a red stripe. Maybe.

douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 03:14 AM   #7
Atomic4k
"TRF" Member

PVD always looks good fresh, but once it scratches its all you’ll be looking at haha
Atomic4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 01:48 PM   #8
SAAS
"TRF" Member

The scratches I’ve seen on these look more like abuse than normal wear. I’ve been watching eBay resales for 6 months now. It can always be rePVDed many years down the road if needed. This one has been on my list for a while. Some good deals out there for BNIB currently.
SAAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 03:40 PM   #9
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Maybe I’ll get a little heat for this, but I was pretty unimpressed after seeing the black bay dark in person. It looks great in pics but in person something was off. Maybe it was the modern looking pvd in combo with the vintage design of the B.B. I also thought the coating looked a little cheap. Honestly not sure why, just got that feeling.

In a black Diver I’d prefer the Sinn U1 in black Tegimented steel. It’s tough as rocks, more affordable, looks fantastic on bracelet, leather, NATO or rubber. I wore mine daily with no reserve and it looked brand new as long as I owned it. It’s a homerun. Here’s my LE U1 I sold and regret.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 03:50 PM   #10
BreezyMan
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX DJ 1603
Sinn are cool no heat from anyone If it was homerun we see much more of them on here, my local ad has had one forever. Cool watch but don’t think the market reacted in the way tudor hoped all good they have plenty of nice watches in the B.B. line up
BreezyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 03:59 PM   #11
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyMan View Post
Sinn are cool no heat from anyone If it was homerun we see much more of them on here, my local ad has had one forever. Cool watch but don’t think the market reacted in the way tudor hoped all good they have plenty of nice watches in the B.B. line up
I don’t think we see a lot of them on here because of the price point. In general the brand is more affordable than Tudor and MUCH more affordable than Rolex, so the comparison isn’t common.

That said, I have seen Sinn mentioned on TRF numerous times and I’ve never seen/read a bad thing about the brand yet.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 04:22 PM   #12
BreezyMan
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX DJ 1603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
I don’t think we see a lot of them on here because of the price point. In general the brand is more affordable than Tudor and MUCH more affordable than Rolex, so the comparison isn’t common.

That said, I have seen Sinn mentioned on TRF numerous times and I’ve never seen/read a bad thing about the brand yet.
I was talking about the black bay dark being a hit not the sinn. Every watch guy should try a sinn once they are cool.
BreezyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 03:00 AM   #13
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyMan View Post

True. And I think if the market had gone bonkers for the BB Dark you may have seen a stab at a Rolex in PVD at some point. Maybe.

I think Rolex uses Tudor to get out on the edge. If they fall off it is ok. Discontinue and move on. Look at the North Flag. Awesome watch market has just not reacted, if it had do we see a PR meter on a Rolex??

Just a thought, have no proof or fact.

bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2019, 04:01 PM   #14
JT1992
"TRF" Member

I have one up until now. If i knock onto something there will be a "scratch mark" and its quite obvious since the watch is black. However its always easily cleaned off with a microfiber cloth. There was even once when i knock onto the edge of a ladder and there's this shiny silver scratch as though its showing the stainless steel beneath the pvd. went home and keep wiping it with the microfiber cloth, low and behold the silver scratch mark is gone, guess its the paint/material of the ladder. Up till now my watch is still perfect black, no permanent scratch
So I'd say the PVD is really tough and im really impress.
JT1992 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black bay dark , pvd