The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 22 November 2017, 06:21 AM   #1
Touchie
"TRF" Member

First rolex

Hi everyone,

Let me quickly introduce myself - I am 25 years old, and about to graduate for my master study. My favorite hobby is, of course, watches. This I received from my father, as he always had an eye for it when I was in my younger ages.

In order to remember this special event, I want to (edited) purchase the new Rolex Air King 2017 (with a descent 30% financed by my father).

However, it is very difficult to find people from my age who share the same passion for watches. Therefore, it might look a bit "odd" if you are the one standing out with the Rolex (if they notice as I am very restrained with it).

The question in short; is it justifiable to wear this time piece at the age of 25? And how would you address negative reactions and comments? Without doubt, I buy this watch for me, myself, and I, so not for another. In this case, I should not care, but I would like to get some more insights in the opinions.

Thanks in advance!
Touchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 07:40 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
If you get negative reactions from wearing a wristwatch you need a better set of friends.. I think that it's unlikely that many will know what kind of watch you have on if you don't bring it up..
Old 22 November 2017, 07:47 AM   #3
Lhn5
"TRF" Member

I have been wearing my new GMT LN for 4 days now and nobody has mentioned it including my own daughter who is home from college for the holiday.
Lhn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 07:47 AM   #4
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Please, do not live your life for fear or concern what others may or may not think.

Get the watch, wear it, end enjoy it.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 07:48 AM   #5
sco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subc AT 8500 CSO
Only get it if you feel comfortable wearing it.

Good Luck with the new watch!
sco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 07:56 AM   #6
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
You've joined the right forum, we are all 25 here, whatever our real ages might be.

Ignore the haters. Don't be Touchie, be a Toughie.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 08:01 AM   #7
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Most will not notice your watch, buy it, wear it, enjoy it !

Old 22 November 2017, 08:02 AM   #8
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

The only people who will notice (unless you tell people about it) are other watch nerds.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 08:06 AM   #9
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Touchie View Post

The question in short; is it justifiable to wear this time piece at the age of 25?

And how would you address negative reactions and comments?
Yes.

I wouldn't. Acknowledging something asinine, unfortunately, gives more credence to it.

Good luck!
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 08:12 AM   #10
adawil2002
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16550 Explorer II
To be honest I bought my first Rolex at 17, no one noticed or cared in 1986, they won't care now. Don't sweat it just enjoy it.

Be yourself and be free with your thoughts because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter.
6284 SS, 16014 SS Jubilee silver stick, 16253 TT Blue Thunderbird, 16550 SS Exp II Cream, bought in 1986, 116400GV Z-blue Milgauss, 79260 Tudor, 116660 DSSD-Blue, 116500LV Daytona White, 116710 BLNR, 326934 Blue Skydweller
adawil2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 08:36 AM   #11
jjsun87
"TRF" Member

I was 24 when I got my first Rolex (it was a SubC). I was also concerned about what people would say but honestly no one noticed. I've realized over the years that 95 out of 100 people aren't going to know notice the watch you're wearing.
jjsun87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 08:44 AM   #12
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsun87 View Post
I was 24 when I got my first Rolex (it was a SubC). I was also concerned about what people would say but honestly no one noticed. I've realized over the years that 95 out of 100 people aren't going to know notice the watch you're wearing.
I'd say get it that's a perfect watch for you, even for me and I'm twice your age and it's on my radar too. I was 30 when I bought my first and second Datejust. Enjoy, it's your life and sounds like you've earned it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 09:34 AM   #13
Karle12
Banned

Watch: Rolex, Omega, etc
Wear it as long as it makes you happy, forget about the negative comments most people would not notice it
Karle12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 10:04 AM   #14
SPMN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Omega
Everyone has a hobby. There’s no shame in spending money on yours. If anyone has an issue with it, just tell them the truth. You’ve always like watches and wanted something special to commemorate your Masters that you can have the rest of your life.

Congrats on the degree by the way! It’s a great accomplishment.
SPMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 10:07 AM   #15
kngzfrd
"TRF" Member

I was around 22 when I bought mine... nobody said a word except my good friend—- and all he wanted to do was borrow it...lol. Do what you want,it’s your life—enjoy it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 22 November 2017, 10:08 AM   #16
You
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum Daytona
Buy it, wear it, and don't care what other people think.
You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 10:21 AM   #17
Touchie
"TRF" Member

Thanks all for the quick reply! Without doubt I learned a bit more about this, I guess we all do every day.

Although I have done research on the Air King, do you experts think it is a descent and appropriate entry model holding value?
Touchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 10:46 AM   #18
KrismanX
"TRF" Member

Watch: my feet.
First rolex

Wear it proudly! You will attract more watch nerds like us. Got mine at 28 and was really nervous the first time wearing it around my friend groups. Quickest lesson, no one notices. If they do, it’s usually no more than a nod or a “wow, nice watch” maybe an “is it real”

Mind you I’ve never had any of those things happen with my friends family or coworkers. Not even a wow. EXCEPT!!! By other WIS. It’s all fun bro. Get your watch, your only regret will be not buying it sooner.... unless the watch is cursed. Valid concern. Good luck and welcome aboard!

Definitely be mindful of over-partying with your watch on. You are also your biggest risk.

"Better three hours too soon, than a minute too late."

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us."

ref. 116520 Daytona - 10/2014
KrismanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 10:53 AM   #19
Raypep
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ / BLNR / Sub
I'm 26, I have a DJ w/ Black Dial. I personally think it is 100% justifiable, are you going to make money on your Air King, most likely not, but it's not a terrible investment. I wear mine every day, sleep, shower etc.

I have to echo what others are saying, who cares. I'll be honest most people won't even realize what you have on your wrist unless you draw attention to it.
Raypep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 10:58 AM   #20
RolexEDC
"TRF" Member

Go ahead and treat yourself to a Rolex to make a mark in life's journey, be ready for the next one..
RolexEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 11:09 AM   #21
Roy Rolls
"TRF" Member

Wear it and enjoy it. Wear it for you. I could care less what others think !
Roy Rolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 11:39 AM   #22
HKS724
Banned

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Let me quickly introduce myself - I am 25 years old, and about to graduate for my master study. My favorite hobby is, of course, watches. This I received from my father, as he always had an eye for it when I was in my younger ages.

In order to remember this special event, I want to (edited) purchase the new Rolex Air King 2017 (with a descent 30% financed by my father).

However, it is very difficult to find people from my age who share the same passion for watches. Therefore, it might look a bit "odd" if you are the one standing out with the Rolex (if they notice as I am very restrained with it).

The question in short; is it justifiable to wear this time piece at the age of 25? And how would you address negative reactions and comments? Without doubt, I buy this watch for me, myself, and I, so not for another. In this case, I should not care, but I would like to get some more insights in the opinions.

Thanks in advance!
I am 30 years old and I think I know how you are feeling. When I was 25, wet behind the ears, entering the corporate world, I was very conscious of what I wore due to the fact I did not want to upset/offend my superiors despite my enthusiasm when it came to sartorialism and horology. And to be quite honest, I did receive some negative reactions when I was wearing certain pieces. But fast forward to present day, I comfortable with what I wear, and most importantly I am more comfortable with myself. And I realized that it was more of an inward thing.

If you are hyper aware that you are wearing an expensive watch, you will exude that, whether it be in the form of discomfort, air of "doucheyness" or what have you. And people will pick up on that. We are pretty telepathic beings, humans. And your responses, in the event someone would comment, would/may display this.

But if you were inwardly comfortable and just enthusiastic about a nice watch, you can "own" it, even in the event someone throws a comment at you. You can really just say, "I love watches" and smile, and that would be the end of it. And you would be known as the "watch enthusiast" in the office
HKS724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 11:41 AM   #23
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I can see no problem with that watch at your age; it's a great watch and very cool looking as well.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 11:42 AM   #24
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Quote:
Thanks all for the quick reply! Without doubt I learned a bit more about this, I guess we all do every day.

Although I have done research on the Air King, do you experts think it is a descent and appropriate entry model holding value?
Absolutely, it's quickly turning into a hot watch. I think it's captivating. I want one.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 11:43 AM   #25
PLNYC
"TRF" Member

I'm 23 now and I'm the only one in my inner circle who wears a Rolex. I do not care what others say about it. I wear it because I enjoy it and not to please them. Also most people won't even recognize that you're wearing a Rolex
Old 22 November 2017, 11:48 AM   #26
F1polesitter
"TRF" Member

People around you not into watches wouldn't even know what a Rolex looks like. Those that do will know that you're into watches, as the AK is a unique model.

Wear it with confidence.

The only thing people will notice is how shiny your watch is. The 904L steel bezel does shine brightly.
F1polesitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 12:10 PM   #27
Rsubnodate
"TRF" Member

First rolex

No one will notice and it the do 99% of people will say nothing. I️ bought a Sub when I was 23 and it went unnoticed except when around people that were into watches. I️ understand the issue of not having friends your age into collecting watches but it shouldn’t stop you from indulging in your passion. Now 27, still looking for more friends that share and understand watch addiction.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Current line up:
Rolex Daytona SS
Rolex Datejust TT
Rolex SubC no date
Rsubnodate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 12:18 PM   #28
ingoodtime
"TRF" Member

Some people in my office thought I was crazy to spend so much hard earned money on a watch.. others did not even notice. I esrn my living and dpend it hoewever my wife lets me (lol). Most people will not even notice your wstch. Buying it at 25 is great as you have plenty of time to make memories while wearing your Rolex. And lastly, congrats on your degree.

Lee
ingoodtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 12:28 PM   #29
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance!
i drove a sports car at age 25. many my age didnt. i justified it as a reward for hard work. that is all that matters.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 01:38 PM   #30
TSingh
"TRF" Member

I'm currently 18 with a TT DateJust 36mm 116233. Apart from my very close friends and family not many people actually notice it. I have had 2 or 3 comments, however I do think most people just go with assumption it is a fake. Before I bought the watch I did worry what people would think however I wear it everyday and my concerns were unfounded. Nobody even notices it haha. I think it's the stigma that a Rolex is a status symbol like driving a sports car. Whereas most people will notice that shiny BMW you walk away from, they most likely won't pay much attention to the watch you wear. I'm quite happy with it flying under the radar, it's a form of theft prevention haha. Enjoy the watch, it's a beautiful piece and I'm sure you'll enjoy it for many years to come. Don't become hung up on future value. There are far better investments than a watch.
TSingh is offline   Reply With Quote