The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > Buyers/Sellers "Who's Who" ?!?!

Old 4 September 2018, 11:32 PM   #1
SwissR
"TRF" Member

ABC Watchwerk - concerned customer, seeking advice

Hi all,

I will keep this short as I'm looking for some advice for next steps.

In April of this year I sent my Rolex Oysterquartz to ABC Watchwerks for some rework on the case and bracelet. I was informed that they would enter the estimate into their system upon receipt, and I could approve the work via their website.

Unfortunately, after confirming receipt they did not contact me any further.

Several months and about 20 emails (and a few phone-calls) back and forth, I still do not have my watch, let alone an expected return date or quote.

Last week, I sent another email asking for guarantee that my watch is still with them, and pending to be worked on. Of course I spoke to them over the phone in early July, I was informed that mine was "top of the pile".

I am not based in the US, so I need some advice on how can I ensure my I will get the piece back - serviced or not I don't care at this point!

I am considering logging a complaint with the BBB, but I don't know if I should do this before or after the matter is resolved.
SwissR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2018, 05:19 PM   #2
SwissR
"TRF" Member

Bump - would like to hear some opinions.

Their website seems to be down and phone calls go through to VoiceMail.
Old 11 September 2018, 06:26 AM   #3
NKflyer
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear about your troubles with this failing business. The circumstances sound remarkably similar to what I experienced earlier this year.

If I were you, I would ask to have the watch returned in whatever state it's presently in. Just tell Alex that you lost confidence in ABC Watchwerks and want to have it serviced elsewhere. Be polite but firm and don't accept any more false promises or apologetic offers to discount the work. Offer to pay for the return shipping with the understanding that if ABC doesn't provide the tracking number/proof of shipping within x number of days, that you will contact a local attorney to retrieve the watch on your behalf.

As far as I'm concerned, there should be a "sticky" thread warning about ABC Watchwerks like there was for Steve Mulholland when he started breaking bad. Some members in the vintage section of the forum are still recommending them!
NKflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2018, 06:38 AM   #4
MonBK
Banned

I'd follow this advice. ^

This is bad news.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2018, 06:49 AM   #5
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Sorry to hear of your problems.

I believe the advice given is sound.
Old 11 September 2018, 07:02 PM   #6
SwissR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKflyer View Post
Sorry to hear about your troubles with this failing business. The circumstances sound remarkably similar to what I experienced earlier this year.

If I were you, I would ask to have the watch returned in whatever state it's presently in. Just tell Alex that you lost confidence in ABC Watchwerks and want to have it serviced elsewhere. Be polite but firm and don't accept any more false promises or apologetic offers to discount the work. Offer to pay for the return shipping with the understanding that if ABC doesn't provide the tracking number/proof of shipping within x number of days, that you will contact a local attorney to retrieve the watch on your behalf.

As far as I'm concerned, there should be a "sticky" thread warning about ABC Watchwerks like there was for Steve Mulholland when he started breaking bad. Some members in the vintage section of the forum are still recommending them!
I am surprised that ABC, who are generally well regarded (even post-split) have such bad customer service. It's sad, because somebody posted up a GMT for sale that had been re-finished last month by ABC and it looked great.

Anyway, thanks for your response. I have followed your advice and I'll call them again when they open to confirm.
Old 24 November 2018, 11:13 AM   #7
cmdr_foley
"TRF" Member

Just wondering, OP did this issue get resolved? I dropped my submariner 5513 with them in August and when I was finally able to reach them a month ago they told me the work was done(I was never kept in the loop).

They said they would send an invoice and arrange to send the watch back but I never received anything and I’ve been calling them every few days only to get excuses or voicemail.

I’m getting pretty worried, and at this point I just want my watch back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cmdr_foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 09:17 PM   #8
SwissR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdr_foley View Post
Just wondering, OP did this issue get resolved? I dropped my submariner 5513 with them in August and when I was finally able to reach them a month ago they told me the work was done(I was never kept in the loop).

They said they would send an invoice and arrange to send the watch back but I never received anything and I’ve been calling them every few days only to get excuses or voicemail.

I’m getting pretty worried, and at this point I just want my watch back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi sorry for the late reply, unfortunately I am still in discussion with ABC. Did you get your 5513 back from them?

Although I received my watch back, there are some follow-up issues and my dealings with them are still unresolved (among other things they forgot to return some bracelet links!)

I'd do a full write up but I would like to wait until I am 100% finished dealing with them to give the most honest information.
Old 14 December 2018, 09:46 AM   #9
cmdr_foley
"TRF" Member

Lucky guy

The story gets better...

I got a hold of ABC (Patrick was quite helpful when I could catch him on the phone), and finally paid the invoice, arranged for shipping etc.

Package went out with FedEx. Had to clear customs (I live in Toronto) at my cost of course, which delayed things about a week.

My wife came home today to the package left in front of the door... already opened. Someone stole the watch from my front door. Inexplicably left the torn packaging.

I also have no idea why FedEx would leave a package labelled "HIGH VALUE" lying around on a porch in a downtown neighbourhood, but that's what happened. And now I'm going through the headache of filing a claim through FedEx.

I've informed Patrick at ABC of what's happened.

Anywhere, here are my watch details:

Rolex 5513 Submariner ("Meters first") Matte dial
SN: 1793530

Hopefully the story gets better from here. Unbelievable luck on my part.
cmdr_foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 03:08 AM   #10
edweather
"TRF" Member

Watch: Casio Illuminator
Wow! Not sure why it would say "High Value" on the package, and why it wasn't sent Signature Confirmation.
Old 15 December 2018, 01:53 PM   #11
VintageVagabound
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edweather View Post
Wow! Not sure why it would say "High Value" on the package, and why it wasn't sent Signature Confirmation.
^
This...

Maybe instead of high value they could have just written “steal me” on it. Thinking about it though I believe the customs declaration on the box says what the item is so I can’t fathom why it would be sent without signature confirmation required. Often times the senders insurance would require signature confirmation. It’s a terrible story and I’m sorry this happend to you.
VintageVagabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 12:45 AM   #12
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
What the F&^%

This story pisses me off so much. I don't think they will ever get my business.

Quote:
The story gets better...

I got a hold of ABC (Patrick was quite helpful when I could catch him on the phone), and finally paid the invoice, arranged for shipping etc.

Package went out with FedEx. Had to clear customs (I live in Toronto) at my cost of course, which delayed things about a week.

My wife came home today to the package left in front of the door... already opened. Someone stole the watch from my front door. Inexplicably left the torn packaging.

I also have no idea why FedEx would leave a package labelled "HIGH VALUE" lying around on a porch in a downtown neighbourhood, but that's what happened. And now I'm going through the headache of filing a claim through FedEx.

I've informed Patrick at ABC of what's happened.

Anywhere, here are my watch details:

Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 02:11 PM   #13
Daryl
2024 Pledge Member

oh my goodness..

Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Daryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 02:43 PM   #14
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Too many bad experiences for this business to be trusted. I think they make the naughty list this Christmas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 02:53 PM   #15
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I’m sorry to hear OP, and I hope you get your watch back.

I kind of lost track of ABC but I think it was a few years ago that the founders spilt or something like that. LA Watch Werks is the other company now? Someone should be along to confirm if I have that right. Perhaps you could have your watch shipped to them instead.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2018, 12:37 AM   #16
SwissR
"TRF" Member

Quote:

My watch finally arrived back, damaged and missing 2 links that I sent to ABC together with the original piece back in April. RSC repair costs are quoted at 1100 CHF.

I suspect it was damaged in transit, but neither Alex, Aaron nor Patrick are responding any longer. No excuses for the missing links either!

I have raised a claim with PayPal - I am hoping for a full reimbursement, or ABC to get their asses in gear and file a claim with UPS.

Let's see. I am not hopeful.

Either way, nobody should be doing business with ABC any longer.
Old 23 December 2018, 08:57 AM   #17
HunterST
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675/3, 79090
What a bummer.
Old 23 December 2018, 09:31 AM   #18
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissR View Post
My watch finally arrived back, damaged and missing 2 links that I sent to ABC together with the original piece back in April. RSC repair costs are quoted at 1100 CHF.

I suspect it was damaged in transit, but neither Alex, Aaron nor Patrick are responding any longer. No excuses for the missing links either!

I have raised a claim with PayPal - I am hoping for a full reimbursement, or ABC to get their asses in gear and file a claim with UPS.

Let's see. I am not hopeful.

Either way, nobody should be doing business with ABC any longer.

That is a sad outcome from a watchmaker. I agree with never sending them anything again. There are too many other certified watchmakers with stellar feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 03:08 AM   #19
Noonan
Banned

Watch: 3570.50
I'm having a bit of a concern with them currently as well. Sent them a watch for service last July. It had become magnetized and was gaining a ton of time. I decided a full service wouldn't be a bad idea.

About 4-5 months ago I received and paid the invoice for the full service. Got the watch back about 3 weeks ago with the exact same problem I shipped it out with. Patrick assured me (although I don't believe it) that every watch is tested for accuracy before shipping back. At this point, i don't even believe that they opened the case.

I shipped it back on my dime to them about 2 weeks ago and now they're not replying to any of my requests for an update. I had no reason to not trust them back in July (at least, what I could find at the time) and now I'm wondering if I'll ever have my watch again. 9 months and $500 appear to be down the drain. And now it appears their website is taken down and their phone just goes to v-mail after leaving you on hold for like 5 minutes.

Edit: BBB report filed and I contacted my bank to see if there's anything I can do about the payment in Jan. With the web site down and nothing but generic voice mail, I don't have much else of a choice.
Noonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2019, 12:41 AM   #20
SwissR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Edit: BBB report filed and I contacted my bank to see if there's anything I can do about the payment in Jan. With the web site down and nothing but generic voice mail, I don't have much else of a choice.
Their website appears to be working - any luck after the BBB report?

I am still having problems 5 months after the delivery of my OQ - UPS are asking for the equivalent of 80 USD of import costs... which I already paid!!