The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 March 2018, 04:11 AM   #31
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselierpa View Post
Hi, first time poster. Just bought my first Rolex at the AD in St. Lucia. DJII, SS/WG, silver dial. When reading up I saw a few questions here about US Customs. Here's my experience this evening.

Duty charged at Newark was 3%. That was applied only to the balance after my duty-free allowance of $800.

I.e., (price - $800) x .03 = duty

Small change, and it took all of 10 minutes to present my receipt and pay by credit card.
Can you share with us discount received at duty free price, prior to 3%?
Old 16 March 2018, 04:15 AM   #32
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin2drt View Post
We just got back from a trip. Bought 2 Rolex's from Grand Cayman. Filled out my customs forms as we were instructed. Wen to the customs guy when we got off the cruise ship in Galveston and he said "welcome back, have a great day" Nothing paid at all.
Meantime for me, not once, but twice, have had my chops busted over the Rolex on my wrist asking me if purchased at an island when returning from a cruise.
This last time was the worse. The Customs lady insisted she didn’t see the many scratches on my clasp and when finally conceded, she the asked if I bought it used. Spent at least 5 minutes grilling me on a two year old watch showing its wear

Unreal. Like there aren’t more serious things to do to protect our borders.
Old 16 March 2018, 04:58 AM   #33
TommyH
"TRF" Member

Great work on that, reversing the cycle - purchase in US and take back to UK , anyone purchased this way round and is it worth it

( apologies if hijacking thread)
TommyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2018, 06:11 AM   #34
rom33
2024 Pledge Member

SFO charges a " 6 % " tax on Rolex Submariners

I returned from Germany this past January and sought out a customs agent to pay tax on two Rolex watches a Hulk and a Sub. I asked to pay the tax as I travel frequently and assumed there may be a large penalty if I return with a watch and didn't pay.

TWO HOURS LATER after Ms. Agent tears through all my luggage , after I asked several times for a receipt indicating the customs tax on a Rolex Submariner, after hundreds of deplaning tourists walked by us who were never stopped I was summoned over to pay a huge tax on two watches that amounted to 6% plus each.

The agents pulled up a webpage with clear photos of all Rolex watches and failed to match the Subs with the correct photo. I was not allowed to point out the correct watches or use my cellphone. They put on a clown act in their attempt to identify the watches. Think of a 5 year old tearing apart a Rolex box with a fully stickered Hulk.

No other person was stopped or searched the entire time I stood there.

Several agents, including a supervisor, ALL said the tax is six percent. ALL said they knew what the tax would be on a Rolex. All confidently indicated THEY would identify the correct watch for the correct purchase price.

Arriving home and looking at the customs policy manual it indicates 6.25% is for precious metal or watches with jewels. It indicates for base metal watches the charge is 3%. This is CLEARLY stated.

So I wrote a letter to my Congressman and the director of Customs in D.C. as well as the San Francisco Director. An agent called me and I explained to her what happened and the page in the manual indicating the correct tax. She said I would receive a refund. How many people are OVER charged each year by agents who are ill trained to perform their job? Who knows.

An aide for my Congressman also called and had me send copies of all documents to her.

BTW I did not have receipts because Global Blue keeps them when a VAT refund is issued.

The agent repeatedly called me a "liar" for not having the receipts. She also ripped open several other packages, dumped Rx. meds in her gloved hand and left the mess for me to repack. When she presented the bill to the cashier ( who had to be summoned) she quickly walked away . In the end I have a customs receipt indicating a final dollar amount but no indication of what the tax was for each watch.

I get that they have an ugly job but I volunteered to pay. I put up no resistance or excuses. My mouth was mostly shut. Watching someone tear apart expensive packages to "identify" the contents is not fun. No one offered to allow me to open anything.

So what do I do in two weeks when I return again with another watch or two?
rom33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2018, 06:22 AM   #35
MARTIN1264
"TRF" Member

MARTIN1264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2018, 07:15 AM   #36
Tan
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5320G
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRoo View Post
Taxation is theft.
Amen!
Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2018, 07:17 AM   #37
hsfrank
"TRF" Member

Watch: President
The tariff schedule for 2018 list the duty as 3.1%. As to the personnel,it’s a crapshoot. Some are good,some are bad, some are courteous others are arrogant.

Time and Tide wait for no man

Rolex Cellini 4133
Tudor North Flag

HERS:
Rolex TTDJ
hsfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2018, 07:18 AM   #38
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
Quote:
Here you go. Enjoying its first morning as a US citizen.

Beauty! Congratulations

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2018, 07:20 AM   #39
Cadi1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Panerai,UN
Looks great. Congratulations
Cadi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2018, 07:45 AM   #40
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
Beautiful watch. Congrats!
Carry The Interest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2018, 07:49 AM   #41
MinMay
Banned

Thanks for the information.

So, it's basically 3.x% for base metal (stainless steel) in the US?

What about vintage watch with appreciation? Should we be tax based on the purchase price or the original price? For example, the watch was sold for $4,000 brand new, but it's now $7,000 today? How should it be taxed? What if the same watch can be purchased for $5,000 somewhere else? What number should be reported in the custom form for the value of the watch? Thanks,
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2018, 07:53 AM   #42
jaySL350
"TRF" Member

Watch: BBG,Hulk,16013,DJB
congrats,,
a lovely watch,,,
jaySL350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2018, 08:18 AM   #43
RaceDoc11
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTs
Yes!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonroo View Post
taxation is theft.
RaceDoc11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2018, 08:26 AM   #44
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Tariff is very complicated chart based on material gold, ss etc and jewels etc. you can count on 3-4 % minus your allowance. $800 per family member but $1600 per family member for Usvi. Congrats on new dj!
Rrpdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2018, 01:59 AM   #45
Taekwondo113
"TRF" Member

Beautiful watch! Did you get a VAT refund? whats the reference number on the watch?
Taekwondo113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2018, 02:22 AM   #46
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Taxation is theft.
except it pays for roads, parks, other infrastructure, police, firefighters, schools for your kids etc on a local level not to mention more abstract things you might not notice every day like defense

A use tax (sales tax) or an import tax is the fairest tax there is because you can control how much tax you owe by how much you buy. If you dont want to pay tax you dont have to buy stuff especially non essential luxury items.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2018, 02:26 AM   #47
Talbel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin2drt View Post
We just got back from a trip. Bought 2 Rolex's from Grand Cayman. Filled out my customs forms as we were instructed. Wen to the customs guy when we got off the cruise ship in Galveston and he said "welcome back, have a great day" Nothing paid at all.
I had the same experience in Galveston. I spent about $10k, filled out my customs form, told the agent what I was bringing back, asked what I owed and he said “you’re not on the list have a nice day”. I asked are you sure and he just passed me through. I tried to do the right thing, but apparently they didn’t want my money.
Talbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2018, 02:38 AM   #48
TimeRookie
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by rom33 View Post
I returned from Germany this past January and sought out a customs agent to pay tax on two Rolex watches a Hulk and a Sub. I asked to pay the tax as I travel frequently and assumed there may be a large penalty if I return with a watch and didn't pay.

TWO HOURS LATER after Ms. Agent tears through all my luggage , after I asked several times for a receipt indicating the customs tax on a Rolex Submariner, after hundreds of deplaning tourists walked by us who were never stopped I was summoned over to pay a huge tax on two watches that amounted to 6% plus each.

The agents pulled up a webpage with clear photos of all Rolex watches and failed to match the Subs with the correct photo. I was not allowed to point out the correct watches or use my cellphone. They put on a clown act in their attempt to identify the watches. Think of a 5 year old tearing apart a Rolex box with a fully stickered Hulk.

Several agents, including a supervisor, ALL said the tax is six percent. ALL said they knew what the tax would be on a Rolex. All confidently indicated THEY would identify the correct watch for the correct purchase price.

Arriving home and looking at the customs policy manual it indicates 6.25% is for precious metal or watches with jewels. It indicates for base metal watches the charge is 3%. This is CLEARLY stated.

So I wrote a letter to my Congressman and the director of Customs in D.C. as well as the San Francisco Director. An agent called me and I explained to her what happened and the page in the manual indicating the correct tax. She said I would receive a refund. How many people are OVER charged each year by agents who are ill trained to perform their job? Who knows.

An aide for my Congressman also called and had me send copies of all documents to her.

BTW I did not have receipts because Global Blue keeps them when a VAT refund is issued.

The agent repeatedly called me a "liar" for not having the receipts. She also ripped open several other packages, dumped Rx. meds in her gloved hand and left the mess for me to repack. When she presented the bill to the cashier ( who had to be summoned) she quickly walked away . In the end I have a customs receipt indicating a final dollar amount but no indication of what the tax was for each watch.

I get that they have an ugly job but I volunteered to pay. I put up no resistance or excuses. My mouth was mostly shut. Watching someone tear apart expensive packages to "identify" the contents is not fun. No one offered to allow me to open anything.

Take a photograph of the receipts and show that to them with the matching serial numbers. If they’re at all reasonable they will allow you to use the photos.
Pelagos 42mm
Explorer II 226570
TimeRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2018, 03:16 AM   #49
ZOOK
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Taxation is theft.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
no, it builds your roads and educates your kids
The soldiers on caravan protection duty should set up just North of this guys house.

ZOOK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2018, 03:44 AM   #50
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
Quote:
Hi, first time poster. Just bought my first Rolex at the AD in St. Lucia. DJII, SS/WG, silver dial. When reading up I saw a few questions here about US Customs. Here's my experience this evening.

Duty charged at Newark was 3%. That was applied only to the balance after my duty-free allowance of $800.

I.e., (price - $800) x .03 = duty

Small change, and it took all of 10 minutes to present my receipt and pay by credit card.
You didn't say what the price was or the duty amount you paid.

I passed through Chicago O'hare in September with a SS Exp II from Norway. I declared the watch for $7,000 and had $300 in other items. My duty was $111. The agent who handled the duty went into his terminal and first asked me if it had a leather strap. I said all steel; no gold or jewels. He stated that the calculations were too complex to state as a simple percentage. I know he came up with three separate numbers and added them together for the total. Actual after VAT refund cost was $7,200. They never asked for a receipt. The initial Immigration agent was stunned when he looked at my declaration sheet. He though I made a mistake and it was $700. I was the only person on the entire flight that went back to the duty payment window.

BTW, all the agents were wonderfully friendly. Maybe that's what happens on flights from Copenhagen.
jlovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2018, 04:01 AM   #51
jps3b
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619
Quote:

Great shot. And you are a good man for doing the right thing. Enjoy that beautiful watch! I have a lot of respect for you Sir
jps3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2018, 04:16 AM   #52
psv
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Well done!
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2018, 05:23 AM   #53
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
Quote:
I think the price I paid was fair, probably comparable to what I'd find at a U.S. AD if I shopped around. I got a reasonable discount from the MSRP. I'm sure I could probably beat the price I paid by a little bit, but it's not worth my time to run around chasing the last dollar or two on something like this.

My wife and I have a little tradition of buying ourselves some jewelry when we take an anniversary vacation - it started with our honeymoon (on this trip she got a TAG because she already has a Rolex). So buying at the Duty Free place was as much a sentimental decision as a pricing decision.

Nice pickup and great memento. What did she get?
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2018, 05:35 AM   #54
jfk-ii
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust II,
Looks great. Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jfk-ii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2018, 06:13 AM   #55
R!$
Banned

Quote:
Taxation is theft.
:c lap:
R!$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2018, 06:15 AM   #56
R!$
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rom33 View Post

very sorry to hear this
R!$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2018, 06:16 AM   #57
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
This taxation is theft stuff is political in nature and probably against forum policy. Let’s just look at the bright side of the OP’s happy aquisition and leave that ugliness behind.
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote