The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 31 October 2018, 09:49 AM   #31
mrblue
"TRF" Member

Shouldn't the conversation be limited to watches? He didn't ask for advice on how to live life.
mrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2018, 09:54 AM   #32
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Brian View Post
Hey guys,

I am new around here and am wondering if there is any way at all to get a Rolex under $2,000? That is currently what I could probably scrounge up to buy a Rolex without having to sell any of my investment. Also, I can't wait for a paycheck or anything like that because I can not get a job yet. If anyone could help me out that would be great. If I cannot get a Rolex, is Tudor my next best option? I tried to post a message like this but it didn't so up so I hope this one will.

Thanks, Adam.
There are plenty of manual wind 6694 watches out there. They are definitely Rolex watches and under $2K for the most part. Stop ragging on the guy and find the answer to his question as it is possible to buy a Rolex easily under $2K. I bought a nice example under $2K and later added a bracelet to replace the leather strap it came on.

Adam, FWIW, I used to live down the road from you in Findlay.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2018, 09:56 AM   #33
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblue View Post
Shouldn't the conversation be limited to watches? He didn't ask for advice on how to live life.
The minimum legal age to work in Ohio is 14. Chew on that while you re-read his first post.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2018, 10:03 AM   #34
Gotgolf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
I would like to think he is younger than 14, at that age I wouldn’t want my kid to wear any Rolex at all. But I would advise something like G-shock or used Tudor. Then again, you can’t work but have investment in stock and precious metals. I am confuse???
Gotgolf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2018, 10:07 AM   #35
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinikari01 View Post
LMAO
Thanks, but I wasn't joking. Assuming he is a minor, he's not legally able to enter into binding contracts, which includes transactions involving his own assets. Therefore, I'd like to know if his parents have signed off on him liquidating a portion of them to buy a luxury watch before I go advising him on what to get. That's not even taking into account my own opinion of a 13-year-old wearing a Rolex.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2018, 10:19 AM   #36
outtatime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deepsea
Hi neighbor. My not-financial-advice would be to put $2k in bitcoin and wait 3 years. Then you can buy a precious metal rolex. :)

Scratches ≠ "Character"
outtatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2018, 12:19 PM   #37
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
I would look at a pre-owned breitling avenger, steelfish, aerospace, or colt. Maybe even a used 1990s chronomat would be very nice. In Rolex there may be a 1990s or 1980s DJ that would be close to 2k in a private sale, but you'd need some expertise to ensure it was a good watch (all correct rolex parts etc). Maybe an Oyster Quartz or an early air king?
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2018, 12:20 PM   #38
AdamG
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 digit ref
'borrow' 5000USD from the parents
AdamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2018, 12:26 PM   #39
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

My suggestion, look at something you can wear all the time. Probably needs to be modern and to fit in your budget, not Rolex. The worst thing to do would be buying something you can’t wear all the time or can’t afford to service.

If i were you i would save more and buy the Rolex you want. Even if it takes a few years. Or, look at a Hamilton.

You can get an omega 2254.50 in your budget and that would be a phenomenal first watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2018, 12:47 PM   #40
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
I take that back. Get a Casio
Old 31 October 2018, 12:49 PM   #41
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
Thanks, but I wasn't joking. Assuming he is a minor, he's not legally able to enter into binding contracts, which includes transactions involving his own assets. Therefore, I'd like to know if his parents have signed off on him liquidating a portion of them to buy a luxury watch before I go advising him on what to get. That's not even taking into account my own opinion of a 13-year-old wearing a Rolex.

Thanks for being a voice of reason!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2018, 01:16 PM   #42
westcoastghost
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outtatime View Post
Hi neighbor. My not-financial-advice would be to put $2k in bitcoin and wait 3 years. Then you can buy a precious metal rolex. :)
Lol this is much more risky than "investing" $2K in a watch. Save up and buy what you want, if you've got investments and want to buy yourself something go for it. Most of the people on here don't even have the financial discipline they are preaching. A watch is not something completely illiquid, a Rolex is a much safer investment than BTC, and at 16 my friends were blowing money on car parts that were nearly worthless after being installed. Is there any other hobby besides investing you could possibly be spending money on at that age that is less risky? I blew a ton of money on baseball cards as a kid growing up, I have thousands that are pretty much worthless now. Pretty much every other hobby will be riskier or guaranteed to depreciate faster.
westcoastghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2018, 02:18 PM   #43
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

https://www.lunaroyster.com/watches/...5500-gray-dial
Kliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2018, 02:45 PM   #44
ashokleyland
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060,PAM,DJ
https://www.bobswatches.com/preowned...ess-steel.html

the good thing is you walk away with 5 dollars change
Old 31 October 2018, 04:34 PM   #45
mikkolopez
"TRF" Member

If I were you I’d save up and get a job with steady income to increase the watch fund. No harm in being patient and all in the right time.

That said, when I was applying for my first job as a working student, I borrowed my Dad’s old timex to keep time and not be late for the interview and job.

I had 4 years under my working belt before I could afford a decent watch. I prioritised first looking well dressed and fed to get myself up in the working world.

You could borrow a relatives watch or if you need to buy one, go for a Seiko or Swatch or Timex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have even DONE everything,
I just don't REMEMBER everything.
mikkolopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2018, 04:40 PM   #46
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
Vintage Datejust.
Not sure why OP wants a watch when food should be his first priority as he's unemployed.
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2018, 07:55 PM   #47
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
A vintage Rolex Precision 6694, manual wind, a wonderful watch! Is more or less 2K, anf is an oyster case.
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2018, 08:07 PM   #48
Rolexwatch12
"TRF" Member

Do not be in a haste, you could actually save up a little bit, so you can purchase a classic rolex watch.
Rolexwatch12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2018, 11:49 PM   #49
ferrissteve11
"TRF" Member

I started my watch journey with an Omega Seamaster quartz at a great price, had a few MKii's and a few other brands before selling it all and moving into an older Sea Dweller. Take your time and realize the watch game is a marathon not a sprint. Plenty of sub 2k options that are NICE watches that you won't take a huge bath on when trading down the road. OR simply wait (likely not the answer you want to hear) and save up for the piece that you really desire. MY .02
ferrissteve11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2018, 12:51 AM   #50
Finslayer83
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Brian View Post
Thanks for the responses guys. I can not get a job currently because I am not old enough. I keep most of my money in stocks and precious metals. I will look at Tudor or possible a pre-owned Omega. Thanks!
If you are old enough to buy stocks you can get a job, age is 18 in most states IIRC.
Finslayer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2018, 01:30 AM   #51
MattPegler
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116000 Blue Dial
OP, how are you purchasing stocks and yet not old enough to get a job? And in answer to your post, wait until you have enough cash to purchase something that's worth your time.
MattPegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2018, 01:34 AM   #52
SearChart
TechXpert

Can't you work in a grocery store, restaurant, etc? I started doing those types of jobs at age 14.
SearChart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2018, 01:42 AM   #53
meyers
Banned

Watch: 16710
Hey Adam, wow you sound like a super ambitious youngster. Good on you for making some sound investments at your age; most folks aren't of that mindset until later in life so that really shows strategic thinking. If I were in your shoes, I would try to continue that momentum of strategy and keep putting money away into stocks - maybe a medium risk fund - rather than get a Rolex, which can come later. Keep making those sound financial decisions which will pay off in the long term. Sounds like you're well on your way to financial freedom; perhaps don't let a luxury good be a hurdle to that.
meyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2018, 03:13 AM   #54
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Best advice I could give you OP, is wait until have saved enough for what you *really* want. I certainly wouldn’t be cashing any long term stocks in to buy a depreciating asset. The sole exception being if you had the means to replace them in the very near future when you can consider it a short term de facto loan to yourself from your savings pot.

Assume the savings are held in trust or are an inheritance ?

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2018, 03:17 AM   #55
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 114060, 216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Can't you work in a grocery store, restaurant, etc? I started doing those types of jobs at age 14.
You had more work experience by age15 than me now..
crazymcmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2018, 03:23 AM   #56
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

I worked picking rocks, pulling mustard, bailing hay and cutting wood before I was 14. I also babysat on weekends. Once I turned 16, I umpired girl's softball and flipped burgers. You can get jobs and make money at a young age.

I say all of this, not as your parent, but just as someone who can appreciate money that you clearly got from your parents or relatives, which you cannot possibly appreciate until you work to earn real dollars (and not a lot at a time).

When you bail hay all day for $4/hr (back then) for the local farmer, and think about how long you would have to do that to earn $2k, you start to think more about what you purchase.
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2018, 03:38 AM   #57
JoeyT
Banned

Under 2k would be hard. maybe a vintage 1500 date but I think even those are over 2k. Go with a Tudor
JoeyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2018, 04:21 AM   #58
t65tampa
"TRF" Member

You aren't going to find any decent Rolex in the $2K range. If you like watches as a young teenager, buy a Seiko Divers SKX series watch. My mom bought me one when I was 16 years old and I loved it. Wore it almost every day until my first son was born when I was 30. Had the watch overhauled and now that 20 year old son wears it.

You don't need to sport a Rolex to be a "watch guy".
Old 1 November 2018, 04:30 AM   #59
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
There are plenty of manual wind 6694 watches out there. They are definitely Rolex watches and under $2K for the most part. Stop ragging on the guy and find the answer to his question as it is possible to buy a Rolex easily under $2K. I bought a nice example under $2K and later added a bracelet to replace the leather strap it came on.

Adam, FWIW, I used to live down the road from you in Findlay.
Here's an example for sale in B&S. Adding a bracelet ups the price above the 2K ceiling.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...highlight=6694

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2018, 04:54 AM   #60
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16233,16610,214270
May I ask how old are you? You can find a nice preowned Tag Heuer Aquaracer quartz for under $1000.00

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Rags is offline   Reply With Quote