The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 1 November 2018, 12:43 PM   #31
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Welcome to the real world, or should I say new. Sad but true how this situation has changed so much in the last year. One year ago my AD thanked me for buying a new SubC with a good discount. Two weeks ago I thanked my AD for taking my 9k for a new Blnr.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2018, 01:04 PM   #32
milwins
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBAY View Post
I had some time to kill so I stopped by a local AD to discuss Rolexes and to look for a gift for my wife. The discussion was disheartening. She put me on a list for a Rolex I desire...I’m some outrageous number, 65 I believe. She blatantly told me I could move up on the list if I wanted to purchase 4-5 other Rolex watches or spend a substantial amount of money on other jewelry.

A. I am not interested in spending uncanny amounts of money to collect unnecessary jewelry just so I can move higher on a list to buy a watch that already costs 10k. If I wanted it that badly I would purchase the watch from a gray dealer at a 6k premium versus spend 50k on items I don’t need nor want.

B. I don’t need a new Rolex that badly. It’s just a watch.

This experience has given me new perspective on just how ridiculous this game has become. I was going to purchase a relatively small gift for my wife but I’m certainly not giving that store my money.

I’m on one other list for the Rolex I want and if my name gets called, great, and if not, no worries. I have plenty of other ways to spend 10k.

This is only a fraction of how Ferrari operates. Can't buy certain cars until you have owned previous models under it. You can't buy them on the gray market because Ferrari has right of first refusal to buy back the car if you go to sell it.

It could be much worse for Rolex buyers.
milwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2018, 01:16 PM   #33
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I had some time to kill so I stopped by a local AD to discuss Rolexes and to look for a gift for my wife. The discussion was disheartening. She put me on a list for a Rolex I desire...I’m some outrageous number, 65 I believe. She blatantly told me I could move up on the list if I wanted to purchase 4-5 other Rolex watches or spend a substantial amount of money on other jewelry.

A. I am not interested in spending uncanny amounts of money to collect unnecessary jewelry just so I can move higher on a list to buy a watch that already costs 10k. If I wanted it that badly I would purchase the watch from a gray dealer at a 6k premium versus spend 50k on items I don’t need nor want.

B. I don’t need a new Rolex that badly. It’s just a watch.

This experience has given me new perspective on just how ridiculous this game has become. I was going to purchase a relatively small gift for my wife but I’m certainly not giving that store my money.

I’m on one other list for the Rolex I want and if my name gets called, great, and if not, no worries. I have plenty of other ways to spend 10k.

$6k premium on a BLRO is a deal these days! This is the game at the moment and has been for a year. At least your AD was honest. There are 64 other people who want the same watch at your AD.., so what’s the AD to do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2018, 01:24 PM   #34
yawgmoths
"TRF" Member

This is nothing new go try buying a Birkin or 911 GT3. They all require a big spend to get anywhere near one. Also, you're from the bay area where making 100k is considered poor.
yawgmoths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2018, 02:06 PM   #35
michael.michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: your back
Yep, nothing new. Many ADs are playing this game all over the world.
michael.michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2018, 02:30 PM   #36
klenboy
"TRF" Member

Which AD is this?
klenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2018, 02:42 PM   #37
grymg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawgmoths View Post
Also, you're from the bay area where making 100k is considered poor.
When our mortgages and property taxes are crazy high like they are nowadays, it's actually not much disposable income left. Oh and relatively high gas prices, bridge tolls, BART train tickets, etc. don't help either.
Old 1 November 2018, 03:07 PM   #38
Bruins7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex(4),15400
I am slowly moving away from modern pieces. Sticking to vintage + tudor 58 and most likely going to wait for a blue dialed jumbo (much rather wait for this than a BLRO). I do agree with some of the responses... So many other watches to be loved. At the end of the day its just a watch. Take a deep breathe and wooosahhh. Go have a nice dinner and some nice scotch and all will be well my friend.
Bruins7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2018, 03:26 PM   #39
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

Doesn’t help when grey dealers are the ones on these lists. I was able to get my AD’s 2nd Pepsi for MSRP. Their 3rd one went to a well known “trusted seller” here who listed it for sale here right away, sold for $16.5k. Same seller is also on the list for more ceramic Daytona and blue SkyD.

AD knows but nothing you can do, money talks.
What happens is that most of these scarce models get funneled to a few select grey dealers (they get multiples of the same watch to resell). Loyal clients are still cared for somewhere in between, but tough luck for first time buyers. People who actually pay that premium to resellers are just feeding the system.
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2018, 06:38 PM   #40
ms9
"TRF" Member

Same thing happened to me. I went to my Local AD for a hulk, the sales guy told me he can get it 'very soon' if I purchase a TT sub.
ms9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2018, 08:01 PM   #41
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.michael View Post
Yep, nothing new. Many ADs are playing this game all over the world.
Yup, nothing to see here folks......
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2018, 08:54 PM   #42
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
If you want a watch and your AD can not get it then look to our Trusted Sellers. Except for new releases and the Daytona-C the prices are what you would pay at an AD and I have always gotten good service. I think sometimes we get caught up in the hunt and the buy as opposed to the wearing and ownership of a watch. I also think many, myself included get caught up in the group think of what is hot. I do not want a SS Daytona-C or the new GMT but if I allowed myself I would find one based on the internet influence.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2018, 09:23 PM   #43
DP63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078
Quote:
Originally Posted by yawgmoths View Post
This is nothing new go try buying a Birkin or 911 GT3. They all require a big spend to get anywhere near one.
I've had this in my head since the first time I read a thread like this if I'm honest ... not the Birkin (I had to google it) ... but the GT3. Its a perfect example of the current Rolex scenario. I've owned 3 Porsche's (on my third now) and both previous cars went back to the same dealer I bought from (and had the cars serviced with) as returned business and quality pre-owned stock to re-sell, exactly what they desire in a single brand showroom .... I've spent a chunk of change there and I couldnt even get 'on' the list for a GT3, never mind have a number to dream over.

The simple fact is that there are far far bigger spenders than me at my Porsche dealer and both of the Rolex AD's I deal with .... I have a great relationship with all of these businesses, but my bottom line with them is a fraction of even 1 of their wealthier patrons bottom line, so its no surprise.
DP63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2018, 09:28 PM   #44
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Surprised that people who claim to be updated to the times are not understanding why ADs bundle in this market, it's just common business sense, esp in large cities. They've been watching greys sell at huge premiums, often making more margin than the AD themselves for years in some countries now, so naturally they want to get in on the action too.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2018, 02:43 AM   #45
jezza17
"TRF" Member

Watch: DRSD
I’m pretty sure all AD’s either think this or say it. It is definitely getting ridiculous trying to just get a ss sports watch.
jezza17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2018, 02:45 AM   #46
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Surprised that people who claim to be updated to the times are not understanding why ADs bundle in this market, it's just common business sense, esp in large cities. They've been watching greys sell at huge premiums, often making more margin than the AD themselves for years in some countries now, so naturally they want to get in on the action too.
I agree, and don't blame them at all.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2018, 03:18 AM   #47
ian.thomas
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Coconut View Post
SD42?
Sorry, I meant the SD43. Just goes to show I've still yet to see one in person!

You're asking me how a watch works. For now, let’s just keep an eye on the time.
ian.thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2018, 03:32 AM   #48
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
"The Game" is a perfect description of it.
samson66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2018, 05:50 AM   #49
N421JJ
"TRF" Member

Reminds me of trying to buy a new Harley 15 years ago. No, we don't have one, but give me $500 and I will put you on the list, when your name is next for that style, I'll call you. And the price is "market price" MSRP was never mentioned!! Now, it's come in, pick one out and let's work a deal!! Times change
N421JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2018, 06:06 AM   #50
nektar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Investr View Post
Shocker!! We went two days without it.....
I would not accept to listen to her speech for more than 10 sec.
nektar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2018, 06:07 AM   #51
nektar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by N421JJ View Post
Reminds me of trying to buy a new Harley 15 years ago. No, we don't have one, but give me $500 and I will put you on the list, when your name is next for that style, I'll call you. And the price is "market price" MSRP was never mentioned!! Now, it's come in, pick one out and let's work a deal!! Times change
Very soon the ss Rolex will be discounted, no worries.
nektar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2018, 06:11 AM   #52
ian.thomas
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N421JJ View Post
I've been thinking the same thing. My brother was on a list for a Fat Boy back in 1997, by the time his name came up a few years later he was married with a baby on the way, so he passed.

Nothing against Harley, but I don't know how they are currently supporting the business and dealer network. And I'm still mad they bought Buell and then closed it down.

You're asking me how a watch works. For now, let’s just keep an eye on the time.
ian.thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2018, 06:37 AM   #53
dhknola
"TRF" Member

I think you may intuit it, but the fact of the matter is that the 'lists' really don't exist.

Yes they have your contact information in the event in several years they have the watch, but AD's have only created this myth of 'a list' to soothe the masses who stroll in looking for something Rolex will not sell them.

You have seen how it really works when she told you if you buy a few watches you suddenly move up said 'list'. If you were to buy those watches and kick in a 5 carat new diamond for your bride you may find out your are next on the list or observe how the watch you are '65th in line for' magically materialize from a safe in the back.
dhknola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2018, 06:46 AM   #54
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

That pink one you didn’t like?
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2018, 06:51 AM   #55
SFBAY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
That pink one you didn’t like?
Please share what you mean
SFBAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2018, 06:58 AM   #56
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Please share what you mean

Blro thread a while back. Bezel shade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2018, 07:01 AM   #57
SFBAY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Blro thread a while back. Bezel shade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It was called a question based on some photos. Why does a question insinuate a dislike. What’s your purpose?
SFBAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2018, 11:28 PM   #58
Rodrigo082
"TRF" Member

Just take a look at other brands - for example the Audemars Piguet.
The AD knows that a big group of Rolex buyers are flippers/ just interesting to make some money out of serious ROLEX lovers.

You can be 100% sure available of this watches is there (Daytona, Pepsi, Sky Dweller) but all the AD wants is to take advantages and make some extra sells.

That’s all what is going on at the moment.
Rodrigo082 is offline   Reply With Quote