The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: Dress watch MUST
Be under 40mm PM, leather strap, 3 hands no complications 29 15.34%
Can be >40mm SS on leather with date complication 4 2.12%
As long as it’s on leather, can have as many complications but fits under the cuff 28 14.81%
Can be a sports model fitted on leather strap 0 0%
As long as it’s PM it can be anything 7 3.70%
Who cares, I wear anything with my suit 121 64.02%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2 November 2020, 11:56 PM   #1
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Dress watch can ONLY be............

What are your thoughts on the 2020 dress watch? And why?
Old 3 November 2020, 12:00 AM   #2
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
A dress watch will always be on a leather strap.
Case will be thin and dial simple.

This is a dress watch.

Whether we like to wear sports watches with suits, that's a different discussion. Under no circumstance would I wear a sports watch with a tuxedo, however.
Old 3 November 2020, 12:03 AM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Any watch can be anything you want it to be end of story.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 12:04 AM   #4
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorbaja27 View Post
A dress watch will always be on a leather strap.
Case will be thin and dial simple.

This is a dress watch.

Whether we like to wear sports watches with suits, that's a different discussion. Under no circumstance would I wear a sports watch with a tuxedo, however.
That was definitely the old long standing rule but the new rule is that there are no rules
BroncoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 12:07 AM   #5
vh2k
"TRF" Member

There are classic definitions... and more practical, modern definitions.

Here's one: If the watch looks good with your suit, it's dressy enough.
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 12:13 AM   #6
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoOne View Post
That was definitely the old long standing rule but the new rule is that there are no rules
Disagree.

But to each his own.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Old 3 November 2020, 12:20 AM   #7
rmagoo57
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT II/Sub/Exp II
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Any watch can be anything you want it to be end of story.
Amen. I wore my DJ41 fluted/oyster/blue dial with a black tux at my daughter's wedding on NYE. Dressiest watch I own. Wore the same watch to a 4th of July lake party. Who really cares? I have zero need for anything "dressier".
rmagoo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 12:22 AM   #8
GONZO2LR
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
If and when the times comes that i wear a tuxedo, I will be wearing my Rolex Submariner and i know it will look fantastic....

who is going to tell be I am not dressed right? You?
GONZO2LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 12:40 AM   #9
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
If I go to a business meeting or very formal event, I wear my Nomos with the black strap just to be conservative. But would wear my datejust at company meetings, business casual events, etc. My subs are for everyday, casual events.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 0FBEED6F-157A-4618-934E-0BB2A5FF0DDC.jpeg (84.6 KB, 639 views)
Old 3 November 2020, 12:41 AM   #10
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
My DJ is the one I turn to when wearing a jacket on those 'smarter' occasions, in the rare event that I am in a tuxedo then my Longines 18k dress watch is wheeled out for wrist duty.

Otherwise I don't worry and wear what I fancy from my collection.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 12:42 AM   #11
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

I almost voted the first option... but I think it doesn't have to be PM... A steel Reverso is plenty dressy even though technically a sports watch designed for polo players originally.

I have a couple vintage steel watches that are thin, small and simple three handers that are also nicely dressy.

I do agree that a watch is dressier on leather though. I wouldn't do a bracelet (if I actually cared).

I would even argue that the dressiest watches don't even have a seconds hand. I would much rather wear this cheap Citizen with a suit than a Submariner, or even a Date Just on a bracelet. That's my opinion. Many think the Date Just is a dress watch, but it isn't. I know some don't care and that's fine. Wear whatever makes you feel good.

gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 12:43 AM   #12
imsayingthough
"TRF" Member

I wear what I like no matter what, i don't follow antiquated "rules"
imsayingthough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 12:44 AM   #13
JRell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
I almost voted the first option... but I think it doen't have to be PM... A steel Reverso is plenty dressy even though technically a sports watch designed for polo players originally.

I have a couple vintage steel watches that are thin, small and simple three handers that are also nicely dressy.

I do agree that a watch is dressier on leather though. I wouldn't do a bracelet (if I were actually cared).

I would much rather wear this cheap Citizen with a suit than a Submariner, or even a date just on a bracelet. That's my opinion. Many think the Date Just is a dress watch, but it isn't. I know some don't care and that's fine. Wear whatever makes you feel good.

Yes agree- I didn’t see the PM and don’t agree with that. Never heard has to be PM before.
Old 3 November 2020, 02:04 AM   #14
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Classic formal dress piece: thin, less than 40mm, typically on a leather strap, and muted but refined in appearance. Usually manual-wind as those tend to be thinner, but an automatic dress piece is still conceivable (JLC does this quite well). Metal bracelet could work in some circumstances (Cartier Santos comes to mind).

The more symmetric and minimalistic, the better, Nomos Orion being a great example of thoughtful and tasteful dress design without breaking the bank. I think sub-dials (small second hand or even chrono) can be okay as long as its not too loud and obnoxious.
TimeAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 02:05 AM   #15
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by GONZO2LR View Post
If and when the times comes that i wear a tuxedo, I will be wearing my Rolex Submariner and i know it will look fantastic....

who is going to tell be I am not dressed right? You?
Don’t forget your brown suede shoes under your tux, you will steal the show. It will look fantastic ....
Old 3 November 2020, 02:06 AM   #16
jamesbondOO7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex or nothing
With my looks and style, I can wear anything... ;-)
Old 3 November 2020, 02:10 AM   #17
lightingball2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
I almost voted the first option... but I think it doesn't have to be PM... A steel Reverso is plenty dressy even though technically a sports watch designed for polo players originally.

I do agree that a watch is dressier on leather though. I wouldn't do a bracelet (if I actually cared).

I would even argue that the dressiest watches don't even have a seconds hand. I would much rather wear this cheap Citizen with a suit than a Submariner, or even a Date Just on a bracelet. That's my opinion. Many think the Date Just is a dress watch, but it isn't. I know some don't care and that's fine. Wear whatever makes you feel good.

Your Omega is like mine.....guessing late 40’s era....love it! I like your band on it too.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
lightingball2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 02:37 AM   #18
Aircraftman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Don’t forget your brown suede shoes under your tux, you will steal the show. It will look fantastic ....

Favorite watch: Seiko Orange Monster cause when I’m wearing it I’m diving in some far flung corner of the planet!
Aircraftman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 03:23 AM   #19
doramas
Banned

A Datejust 36mm. With this watch you can do everything
doramas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 03:36 AM   #20
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I wear what I want. Rules on this are gone.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 03:41 AM   #21
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
There will always be those with their noses up who swear there’s some standard based on some preconceived idea created by some magazine or YouTube of other guys with their noses up.
In reality all that remains is opinions of what someone may think looks aesthetically correct with a formal tuxedo or formal suit and that’s fine, but it’s just an opinion.

Taking real life into context I’ve been to very formal military balls where you see formal military dress uniforms, tuxedos and evening gowns, no one cares about watches and you’ll see everything from Casios to Suuntos. Have never seen someone storm out in disgust of these combinations.
Then you can look at any of the awards red carpet events, you’ll see everything from Rolex, AP, Pateks and even RM. Bradley Cooper regularly is seen with his favorite reference in a tux, a 46mm Big Pilot. He’s even worn one in gold then sold it for charity.
No one was criticized later on for a watch, like you see critics make complete programs on critiquing dress.

Finally, I’ll say what a high level diplomat told me once in regards to formal events and time. Any formal dinner or event with formal protocols has a specified time because of course important people have limited time and in your attendance confirmation you either agreed to be free during that slot or have a specific time you’re available which is managed by the protocol agent. So when one attends such events looking at your wrist every 10 min would be improper, time is managed by someone else who whispers in your ear or pulls you aside, so in most cases a watch isn’t necessary, hence in very formal dress situations, no watch at all is probably more appropriate.

Me personally, I wear what I want, John Mayer says he wears his uber complicated expensive gold Patek to walk his dog and pick up its crap. Seems it works in any condition.
The only limiting factor for wearing any watch is whether it’s configuration is water proof or not.
Life is really too short to be worrying about this petty stuff imo.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 03:55 AM   #22
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
There will always be those with their noses up who swear there’s some standard based on some preconceived idea created by some magazine or YouTube of other guys with their noses up.
In reality all that remains is opinions of what someone may think looks aesthetically correct with a formal tuxedo or formal suit and that’s fine, but it’s just an opinion.

Taking real life into context I’ve been to very formal military balls where you see formal military dress uniforms, tuxedos and evening gowns, no one cares about watches and you’ll see everything from Casios to Suuntos. Have never seen someone storm out in disgust of these combinations.
Then you can look at any of the awards red carpet events, you’ll see everything from Rolex, AP, Pateks and even RM. Bradley Cooper regularly is seen with his favorite reference in a tux, a 46mm Big Pilot. He’s even worn one in gold then sold it for charity.
No one was criticized later on for a watch, like you see critics make complete programs on critiquing dress.

Finally, I’ll say what a high level diplomat told me once in regards to formal events and time. Any formal dinner or event with formal protocols has a specified time because of course important people have limited time and in your attendance confirmation you either agreed to be free during that slot or have a specific time you’re available which is managed by the protocol agent. So when one attends such events looking at your wrist every 10 min would be improper, time is managed by someone else who whispers in your ear or pulls you aside, so in most cases a watch isn’t necessary, hence in very formal dress situations, no watch at all is probably more appropriate.

Me personally, I wear what I want, John Mayer says he wears his uber complicated expensive gold Patek to walk his dog and pick up its crap. Seems it works in any condition.
The only limiting factor for wearing any watch is whether it’s configuration is water proof or not.
Love this post
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 03:58 AM   #23
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

I think it can be anything. “Dress watch” is bit of a dated term in my opinion. Depends on definition of dress. What are you dressing up for? I’d wear different watches to a wedding, a business meeting and with suit to the office. All are ‘dress’ occasions but can be worn worn with many options not just an archetypical thin 2 handed.

Kind of like sport watches. We call them “sports” models but cmon, nobody is playing pickup basketball in a sport Rolex and nobody plays Polo in a reverso.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 04:16 AM   #24
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
Love this post

You know, it's really simple too, there's the internet with lots of ideas and information and then there's the real world. In most cases the real world is much more practical and simple. No one cares, and the ones that are usually the most vocal are usually the ones who fancy themselves really "vip" in life which supposedly requires some kind of vip representation...
Below is a guy who we all know at a very formal event, in this case the internet comes through with information and while some may pull out some blurb or quote on what's proper(likely from some one pushing or marketing something), real life seems to always show in practice at least, it doesn't matter. People like the guy below have people who specifically tell them even where they stand at events let alone what to wear, yet they are repeatedly seen with whatever watch they personally like. All watches are cool and in any dress....

For fun, go play with the google search, tuxedo and what ever watch you want, confident free men wear whatever they want.

In the photo:
March 2012: Prince Harry and Former Jamaican Prime Minister Portia Simpson-Miller During the Diamond Jubilee Tour
Old 3 November 2020, 04:18 AM   #25
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pw92676 View Post
I think it can be anything. “Dress watch” is bit of a dated term in my opinion. Depends on definition of dress. What are you dressing up for? I’d wear different watches to a wedding, a business meeting and with suit to the office. All are ‘dress’ occasions but can be worn worn with many options not just an archetypical thin 2 handed.

Kind of like sport watches. We call them “sports” models but cmon, nobody is playing pickup basketball in a sport Rolex and nobody plays Polo in a reverso.

Funny but true.
Old 3 November 2020, 05:10 AM   #26
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Why no mention of the Apple watch ;)
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 05:21 AM   #27
Aberdein
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1982 GMT 16750Matt
Dear Lord, not again........
Aberdein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 09:07 AM   #28
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Very well said!
Of course anyone can wear anything they want and no one will be thrown out of a formal event foe showing up in a g-shock!
Maybe subconsciously I was trying to justify adding another watch to be my “dress watch”

I think it might be fair to say that “dress watch” USED to have certain criteria but seems the world is moving away from that and it’s whatever suits you goes!
Old 3 November 2020, 09:17 AM   #29
chucklehead
"TRF" Member

I think a leather strap for a dress watch is appropriate but at the end of the day who cares? I really don't think the vast majority of people are going to notice anyway.
chucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 09:28 AM   #30
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Quote:

Yep, me too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote