The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 25 March 2013, 11:38 AM   #1
advocatia
Banned

Watch: PAM 422 GMTIIC
Bal Harbour OP Boutique Experience

Visited the Bal Harbour boutique this weekend. Not that it shold matter but was dressed in jeans and a golf-type windbreaker. Was sporting my 422, which was purchased there less than six months ago. I wanted to try on the Amagnetic sub.

No greeting. No welcome. No "may I help you". I had to approach the sales clerk after being ignored for ten minutes and ask about the watch. To my disbelief, he shook his head "no" without uttering a word, all the while with a smile on his face as if he was thinking why I was dare asking for such an unobtainable watch. Never offered to show me any other pieces (a dumb-ass sales move), never asked if I was interested in a waiting list, nothing/zip nada. It was as if I was bothering him. Too bad for him because I was carrying about 15k in cash on me which was burning a hole in my pocket.

There was no effort on his part to talk about the brand, to inquire what I might be looking for or about pieces I may have. You know, the normal small talk which can often lead to valuable information and a sale. Here's yet another concept... sir can I show you a different and beautiful new piece we just got in?

I understand that everyone can have an off day and I am a people person who always shows respect and kindness toward others but I was left with the distinct inpression that Panerai Bal Harbor is either not training their staff properly or is so caught up in their effort to be perceived as an elite watch brand that they risk alienating their base. In sum, the snoootiness level was beyond palpable.

My past visits to the boutiques in Palm Beach and Boca Raton were far more pleasant. Warm welcomes, good conversations, cordial help.
advocatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2013, 11:46 AM   #2
FLB03TT
Banned

Watch: PAM, G.O., G.P.
Good folks @ Palm Beach.
FLB03TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2013, 11:54 AM   #3
advocatia
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLB03TT View Post
Good folks @ Palm Beach.
agree
Old 25 March 2013, 11:55 AM   #4
advocatia
Banned

Question...these OP boutiques are privately owned or corporate or a mix?
Old 25 March 2013, 12:12 PM   #5
s14roller
"TRF" Member

I would have taken the time to show him the $15K cash and do a "pretty woman" scene...

Off topic, but next time you walk around with the wad, let the rest of us know what route you are taking.
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2013, 12:18 PM   #6
Lgear080
Banned

If you're looking for sales help bal harbor shops
Is not the venue. Tons of snotty people in all of the
Stores.
Lgear080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2013, 12:25 PM   #7
alexlt730512
"TRF" Member

did you see the guy with beard?

i strongly agreed with you about my previous experience at bal harbor shop. they're very business like and didn't care about their customers since i was told they got enough visitors at this particular place; therefore, i guess they don't need to greet to anymore potential customers to increase the sales #s for this store.

also, when i was there during my last visit to FL, one of the customers walked in and asked the lady there if he could buy the strap that was mounted on 113, which was green alligator strap. Guess what she said to him, no you can't unless you wanna buy the watch too. that customer was like why not, you've more straps you can put on this right. so he walked out and never looked back.
alexlt730512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2013, 12:33 PM   #8
bimmerboy

Watch: TTsub/ss sea-dwell
This is why I refuse to buy from any ad same scenario I've received at many dealers throughout US and Canada. Id rather spend my cash on the second hand market zero attitude and snootiness.
bimmerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2013, 12:35 PM   #9
mwatch
2024 Pledge Member

My phone ordering experience with them (which actually happened today) was the opposite, the lady was nice and helpful. Maybe this guy has an attitude problem or so.
mwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2013, 12:01 AM   #10
advocatia
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by s14roller View Post
I would have taken the time to show him the $15K cash and do a "pretty woman" scene...

Off topic, but next time you walk around with the wad, let the rest of us know what route you are taking.

Rest assured the "wad" is accompanied by a Kahr Arms compact 45 but we won't talk about that here.
Old 26 March 2013, 12:13 AM   #11
p_mcgee
"TRF" Member

Yeah I didn't have much luck there either. The guy didn't ignore me, but I tried to order a strap for my wife and he never called back. Guess it wasn't worth his while. Some beautiful pieces there nonetheless.

Nice thing about Bal Harbor is that there are so many watch boutiques there you are bound to have luck somewhere. I had good experiences at at AP, IWC & especially FP Journe (where the salesperson was nice & happened to look like a model).
p_mcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2013, 09:13 AM   #12
Limassoul
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
this is the worst thing you can do as a salesperson, especially when sales around the globe are not so high as they used to be.

disgrace..
Limassoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2013, 02:54 PM   #13
7sins
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocatia View Post
Visited the Bal Harbour boutique this weekend. Not that it shold matter but was dressed in jeans and a golf-type windbreaker. Was sporting my 422, which was purchased there less than six months ago. I wanted to try on the Amagnetic sub.

No greeting. No welcome. No "may I help you". I had to approach the sales clerk after being ignored for ten minutes and ask about the watch. To my disbelief, he shook his head "no" without uttering a word, all the while with a smile on his face as if he was thinking why I was dare asking for such an unobtainable watch. Never offered to show me any other pieces (a dumb-ass sales move), never asked if I was interested in a waiting list, nothing/zip nada. It was as if I was bothering him. Too bad for him because I was carrying about 15k in cash on me which was burning a hole in my pocket.

There was no effort on his part to talk about the brand, to inquire what I might be looking for or about pieces I may have. You know, the normal small talk which can often lead to valuable information and a sale. Here's yet another concept... sir can I show you a different and beautiful new piece we just got in?

I understand that everyone can have an off day and I am a people person who always shows respect and kindness toward others but I was left with the distinct inpression that Panerai Bal Harbor is either not training their staff properly or is so caught up in their effort to be perceived as an elite watch brand that they risk alienating their base. In sum, the snoootiness level was beyond palpable.

My past visits to the boutiques in Palm Beach and Boca Raton were far more pleasant. Warm welcomes, good conversations, cordial help.
I had the SAME exact experience when I was there with the bearded salesman. Granted I am only 25 but I was wearing a 351 and could easily afford most of the watches there, just wanted to try on a few radiomirs and was treated as if I was homeless.

You would think I would get some respect as a fellow beardsman, guess not.
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2013, 10:39 PM   #14
nishant
"TRF" Member

Watch: JLC NS Chrono GMT
Should have told him .. BIG MISTAKE !
nishant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2013, 01:53 AM   #15
Survivor
Banned

Watch: DSSD
Amazing!!!!!........the Beverly Hills Boutique, where one might assume would be extremely snooty, happens to be one of the best retail experiences you could have.

You should have said something to the salesperson when you left and let them know you came in to buy a watch but now, you'll go somewhere else.
Survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2013, 02:28 AM   #16
advocatia
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexlt730512 View Post
did you see the guy with beard?
Bingo !
Old 27 March 2013, 06:39 AM   #17
RUpanerai
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pam Patek Rolex AP
NYC, LA, WBP have all been good to me... don't go back if they treat you like that.
RUpanerai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2013, 08:32 AM   #18
Yanks213x
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060m
I've noticed a lot of places, not just watch dealers, haven't been caring too much about making a sale. The economy isn't good enough for these places to just brush people aside.
Yanks213x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2013, 01:27 PM   #19
alexlt730512
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocatia View Post
Bingo !
WOW!!! it's amazing that most of the people had same exact problem with the beardman.
alexlt730512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2013, 12:37 PM   #20
shafran
"TRF" Member

Ny

They were great at the NY boutique. Offered drinks and helped me with ll their watches.
shafran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2013, 09:54 PM   #21
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my sig. ;)
Write a letter to OP.

I was looking forward to visiting that boutique on my next trip to Miami; it will be a personal trip (not business) and I won't have a suit with me...

...but at least now I know to avoid anyone with a beard...
Panerai 111 217 233
Rolex 16600 126600
Seiko SBGA125 SBDX001 SLA017 SLA025 SLA033
Tudor 5B GMT
Zénith A386ME
Other Mühle Glashütte S.A.R. Flieger Chronoswiss Tora
Travelller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2013, 10:35 PM   #22
Bruce123
"TRF" Member

Thanks for sharing. I'm going down next month. Will avoid the bearded man.
Bruce123 is offline   Reply With Quote