The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 11 April 2013, 06:44 AM   #1
Daddychaddy
"TRF" Member

Quality of Panerai?

Guys
I am in new watch mode, and am contemplating Rolex, Omega, Panerai.
I like the Pam 90 but have concerns about the quality of the product.
Are they just a very nice looking, well designed/marketed, yet cheaply manufactured product, or are they the real deal, and will be around for years to come, full of quality materials and movements.
Thanks
Daddychaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2013, 07:25 AM   #2
Watches24seven
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Panerai Vintage
I think the PAM 90 is a great choice for a first Panerai. The older models that do not have in house movements have proven to be durable and relatively accurate. In my opinion, the PAM 90 is still relatively simple yet unique with the offset power reserve.

My guess is you would be very happy with that model.

Good Luck,
Bruce
Watches24seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2013, 07:28 AM   #3
Rodentman
Banned

I have 4 of them and feel they are the real deal and will stick around. Some may argue that many of their movements are ETA (6497) and thus inferior, or common. I don't feel that way.
Rodentman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2013, 07:33 AM   #4
wingku
"TRF" Member

Watch: the World unfold
they are well built for sure and will stick around for the people who knows their watches.
wingku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2013, 07:35 AM   #5
Daddychaddy
"TRF" Member

Thanks
I'm no purist. I just want something that works well, looks good and isn't a rip off.... What other models would you suggest I look at pls? They're are so many I don't even know where to start... What is the diff for example between the 90 and the 392?
Daddychaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2013, 07:44 AM   #6
Rodentman
Banned

The 90 has a power reserve and a 44mm case, 24mm lugs. The 392 is a 42mm case, 22mm lugs, and no power reserve. The larger case is iconic and would be my choice, although I DO own a 392. There are a lot of PAM's and it can be confusing.
Rodentman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2013, 12:38 PM   #7
rebel_1
"TRF" Member

IMHO all luxury watches are not "worth the money" if you really need the money. That being said, they are called luxury time pieces for a reason. It truly is a luxury to own one or a few or a hundred.

For me, Panerai was a hate at first sight relationship. They all looked the same; the Itilian Navy's history of dominance doesn't impress me; the fact that Sylvester Stalone wears them and seemed to have catapulted them into a world brand doesn't matter to me; on & on & on......

BUT then I started to look into them. Started seeing the difference between the Luminars & the Rads. The 1950 case vs the Historic. The painted / sausage dial vs the sandwich. The date vs no date. The seconds vs the non seconds. The automatic vs the manual wind. The in house movement vs the ETA. The strap vs the bracelet. The power reserve vs the non power reserve.

Now I really like Panerai. I respect their history, their damn near extinction, and their different styles and functions. I also like the fact that most people aren't familiar with them. I've actually had more unsolicited comments on my 112 than any other watch.

I'm not sure I answered your question. I do think the WIS crowd will always be intriged by the brand & I do think the brand is here for a while.

R/
rebel_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2013, 03:13 PM   #8
wisguy
"TRF" Member

I just got my hands on one and I'm converted, buy with confidence.

Now that I have a Luminor can't stop thinking about a Radiomir.
Old 11 April 2013, 06:37 PM   #9
shnxx
"TRF" Member

Yes I had a similar relationship with Pams as well.
I hated them at first sight but I've come to terms with the fact that for watches under $10000, you're really paying for design and nice finishing.
Not much history or horlogical prowess is available (new) for $10000.
Rolex gets close although I think rolex is a fine tool watch so I don't associate it with haute horlogerie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel_1 View Post
IMHO all luxury watches are not "worth the money" if you really need the money. That being said, they are called luxury time pieces for a reason. It truly is a luxury to own one or a few or a hundred.

For me, Panerai was a hate at first sight relationship. They all looked the same; the Itilian Navy's history of dominance doesn't impress me; the fact that Sylvester Stalone wears them and seemed to have catapulted them into a world brand doesn't matter to me; on & on & on......

BUT then I started to look into them. Started seeing the difference between the Luminars & the Rads. The 1950 case vs the Historic. The painted / sausage dial vs the sandwich. The date vs no date. The seconds vs the non seconds. The automatic vs the manual wind. The in house movement vs the ETA. The strap vs the bracelet. The power reserve vs the non power reserve.

Now I really like Panerai. I respect their history, their damn near extinction, and their different styles and functions. I also like the fact that most people aren't familiar with them. I've actually had more unsolicited comments on my 112 than any other watch.

I'm not sure I answered your question. I do think the WIS crowd will always be intriged by the brand & I do think the brand is here for a while.

R/
shnxx is offline   Reply With Quote