The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 July 2018, 08:29 AM   #1
Horationelson
"TRF" Member

Explorer I vs Milgauss Z Blue

I was getting ready to purchase a Z Blue a couple of months back. I tried it on a couple of times but just wasn't 100% sure - the dial colour was remarkable in some light, but murky/muted in others. A bit like the Hulk in that respect.

I also tried on the Explorer I, which was such a safe choice. Totally inoffensive, elegant, can be worn with suit or t shirt. So in the end I went for the Exp1 and have been wearing it every day since.

Fast forward to today. I really like to Exp1, but it just feels a bit too boring. Sure, it's a classic, but it's just.... a bit too plain, almost to the point of nothingness sometimes. Although the matte black dial is cool, it's so matte and black that it's almost lifeless. Yes, that gives it the "under the radar" vibe, which I do like, but the watch isn't something which excites me much when I put it on.

I am passing through Heathrow next week and tempted to pick up a Z Blue (assuming they have one), particularly at the airport price of £5k (can't be anywhere cheaper in the world for it right now).

So - has anyone here had both of these watches, and which one do they prefer? I know there are lots of Exp1 owners here - do you ever get these days of regret/boredom with the watch? Has anyone swapped a plainer Rolex for a Z-Blue and regretted it? Thoughts appreciated.
Horationelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2018, 08:40 AM   #2
kl07rph
"TRF" Member

Off topic, but have you considered the 2016 Air King? It's less plain-Jane than the ExpyI, and a very unique (and polarizing) change from the traditional look.
kl07rph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2018, 08:47 AM   #3
Horationelson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kl07rph View Post
Off topic, but have you considered the 2016 Air King? It's less plain-Jane than the ExpyI, and a very unique (and polarizing) change from the traditional look.
I did consider it and tried it on when looking at the other two. I decided against it because (i) it doesn't have much lume; (ii) my current watch was an Airking (albeit 34mm from circa 2008) and (iii) just a bit too much going on. Cool watch though, just not for me.
Old 6 July 2018, 08:54 AM   #4
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I have all three and find the AIr King 116900 to be my favorite. The green and yellow Rolex logo and seconds hand on the dial make it both interesting and quirky with the big and small minute markers thrown along the way. It’s such an interesting watch and I couldn’t not stare it every time I had the chance.

The Z blue comes second with the blue green crystal and the quirky bolt seconds hand. Mesmerizing at time when seeing the second hand tick.

The Explorer 1 is also nice and a very versatile watch which flies under the radar. Lightweight yet unassuming, definitely a perfect choice either in formal or casual wear.

These three watches are there for varied reasons. And if you can get all three, you got your base covered on casual, formal and funky occasion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2018, 08:59 AM   #5
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I felt the same way when I first saw the Zblue so I bought a black non gv but the Zblue kept haunting me so I traded the black in for the Zblue and it always looks good now. Im glad I gave it another chance. Exp 1, never on my radar.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2018, 09:30 AM   #6
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
Explorer 1 is the more iconic , but yeah it’s very simple watch so can be boring. Black GV is my favorite Milgauss ( I owned the blue before) air king is a little out of Rolex DNA but still a fun watch.

I ll probably go black GV
Good luck

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2018, 10:00 AM   #7
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Had both, zblue - easy. Most Rolex dials can look meh in some light / angles
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2018, 10:38 AM   #8
Largoshark
"TRF" Member

I had the z-blue and traded it for the GV black. I did find the blue dial, much like you say, pretty murky/washed out in too many lighting conditions...although in the right light, boy it is gorgeous, albeit a bit flashy. Still, I'm glad I made the switch. The GV black dial has a coolness factor all it's own, and a bit more refinement in my opinion. If you haven't been considering that one, maybe give it a closer look.
Largoshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2018, 11:46 AM   #9
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Quote:
Originally Posted by kl07rph View Post
That's a good thought !

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2018, 11:54 AM   #10
bellesdad0417
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 SD43
I have both and I find myself wearing the EXP 1 more often and I'm considering trading the z - blue for something else.
bellesdad0417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2018, 11:57 AM   #11
sgarrity
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
I think the Explorer is iconic. From T-shirt and shorts to black tie, it does it all for me. The ultimate tool watch IMHO.
sgarrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2018, 12:02 PM   #12
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeCCW View Post
Explorer 1 is the more iconic , but yeah it’s very simple watch so can be boring. Black GV is my favorite Milgauss ( I owned the blue before) air king is a little out of Rolex DNA but still a fun watch.

I ll probably go black GV
Good luck

I’d be in this line of thinking as well, good luck
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2018, 12:14 PM   #13
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

I am a little biased

Old 6 July 2018, 01:34 PM   #14
chloebear
Banned

Watch: Explorer
This is why it's hard to be a one watch guy. If you go classic (Explorer) it can be boring as a one and only. if you go bold (Z Blue Milgauss) it could be too bold for everyday use. I would definitely recommend just adding the Z Blue to your Explorer. Then you'll have a conservative watch for every day use and a really cool bold mix in.
chloebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2018, 04:52 PM   #15
Trailblazer
"TRF" Member

Watch: es
I think the zblue has an amazing and unmatched dial combi, but i didnt pick that simply due to the pcl. I got the new exp as well and agree, albeit it being what it is, it also needs something else to compliment for a rotation. I would like thhe new AK but there are too many on line for me b4 it gets on my hotlist. Lol
Trailblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2018, 06:05 PM   #16
uncufunc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126613LB, 1501
get the Milgauss and flip the Exp1 if it doesn't speak to you. They way you talk about it, it sounds like the Exp1 is going to sit in the winder after you get the Milgauss
uncufunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2018, 06:33 PM   #17
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
Zblue would get my vote. Exp1 is stunning in its simplicity and elegance, but zblue is also very nice.

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2018, 07:17 PM   #18
VintageVagabound
"TRF" Member

I was in a similar predicament and went Z-blue. I still like the explorer but the bezel area seems so prone to dings. If I had an explorer 1 I’d want another watch in the rotation
VintageVagabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2018, 09:51 PM   #19
Horationelson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageVagabound View Post
I was in a similar predicament and went Z-blue. I still like the explorer but the bezel area seems so prone to dings. If I had an explorer 1 I’d want another watch in the rotation
My Exp1 already has a few quite visible dings after about 6 weeks. But doesn’t the Z Blue have basically the same Bezel?
Old 6 July 2018, 11:13 PM   #20
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Has both. But the black milgauss. Found the milgauss top heavy. Didn't have it long. Love the Exp
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2018, 11:22 PM   #21
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I've had both...neither one is in my collection now.

You're not 100% on either one...why in the world are you considering buying them?
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2018, 11:52 PM   #22
doramas
Banned

Always the Explorer
doramas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2018, 01:10 AM   #23
WatchSmith
2024 Pledge Member

Exp 1 will be the one you regret selling later on. You'll see pics of them and think "why did I flip that? Now I want it back". It's a timeless classic. Put it in the safe and then do a courtship ritual in a few weeks and see if the old spark doesn't return.
WatchSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2018, 01:48 AM   #24
Explorer-P
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
Explorer! :)
Explorer-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2018, 01:50 AM   #25
Horationelson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triplock View Post
Exp 1 will be the one you regret selling later on. You'll see pics of them and think "why did I flip that? Now I want it back". It's a timeless classic. Put it in the safe and then do a courtship ritual in a few weeks and see if the old spark doesn't return.
This is not a bad idea.

The watch I replaced (and have kept) is the Airking 34 with blue dial and explorer style 369 numbers. I changed it simply because 34mm was a bit too small for my liking in 2018. I think I miss the blue dial. I’m not a fan of the OP 39, none of the datejust dials speak to me, so has narrowed it down to Exp1 and ZBlue.

I might swap back to the old Airking this weekend and see where it takes me...
Old 7 July 2018, 02:49 AM   #26
sunnygps
2024 Pledge Member

I have both and I use them for very different reasons/occasions. I use the Explorer I for formal work related meetings were I need to be a bit conservative or have a watch that just flys under the radar. My Milgauss z blue is a fun watch for other days and weekends.

Every time I wear the z blue, it amazes me how much character this watch has. The dial color changes under different lighting conditions and just pops in the sun. No other watch comes even close. I am not sure it can be my one and only watch to wear everyday.

The Explorer I is very comfortable watch to wear. It will go with any outfit. I would add to the Explorer as I feel it is one watch to keep as part of one’s collection.
sunnygps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2018, 02:53 AM   #27
dafuture
"TRF" Member

I own an Exp I and thought about adding a Z-Blue recently myself. What ultimately stopped me was having a second polished bezel, which I find scratches easily.

I do know what you mean about the Explorer feeling "boring" on some days. It's a fantastic watch, and I'll probably never sell mine, but I do enjoy having something a little more fun to interchange it with.

I would take a look at the Exp II Polar as well. The white dial/orange GMT hand combo gives it some visual interest, and you can definitely find them in ADs. It's been a good combo for me thus far.
Old 7 July 2018, 03:21 AM   #28
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
My first reaction is to ask whether you like flashy or simple ..............

but let’s face it, nobody notices our watches except the rare WIS ! One could wear an $80k Plutona and the few non-watch people that notice, would think it’s a department store watch. Buy what you want to wear !

Old 7 July 2018, 04:03 AM   #29
adawil2002
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16550 Explorer II
Milgauss Z-Blue was my choice over the ExpI
6284 SS, 16014 SS Jubilee silver stick, 16253 TT Blue Thunderbird, 16550 SS Exp II Cream, bought in 1986, 116400GV Z-blue Milgauss, 79260 Tudor, 116660 DSSD-Blue, 116500LV Daytona White, 116710 BLNR, 326934 Blue Skydweller
adawil2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2018, 04:11 AM   #30
Peter99
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN & 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
i think the explorer is iconic. From t-shirt and shorts to black tie, it does it all for me. The ultimate tool watch imho.
+1
Peter99 is offline   Reply With Quote