The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 9 August 2020, 05:54 PM   #1
Crunchie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Changing straps

Hi all,
For about ten years I’ve been wearing my Speedmaster on the original bracelet, but it’s never fitted quite right. I wear it perhaps one day a week or less, with the rest of the time split between an Explorer and occasionally, an Apple Watch.
I think it’s time to try a leather strap, and have found some I like on the Watch Obsession site in the UK.
My question for the experts is how difficult is it to change from a bravely to a strap without losing or damaging anything, and what tool should I get?
The site has a few different versions of a very similar looking Bergeon tool including the 7767 and the 6767.
Many thanks in advance for any advice and tips.

Andy
Crunchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 09:49 PM   #2
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Do a search on YouTube and find one of the more respected posters and they will walk you through it. Not hard and with practice you will be able to get it done rather quickly. Check out Omega's website and they have a strap section that allows you to see your watch with various NATO's. The straps are expensive but they are well worth it in my opinion. Good luck.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 11:33 PM   #3
stevedssd
"TRF" Member

Good advice above, like most things it is straightforward once you've done it a few times and a You Tube video is a good way of learning. A fairly fine springbar tool will be fine.

Watch Obsession and Watch Gecko are two good sources of decent straps at reasonable prices in the UK. Be warned, swapping straps on the Speedy is a bit addictive as it goes with pretty much anything!
stevedssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 01:52 AM   #4
Crunchie
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the replies so far.

Two more newbie questions, while I’m here - the strap I’m considering is mad by a company called JPM. Any experience of their stuff? Buy? Avoid?

My other question is, if a strap is listed at three different lengths, will the length quoted be the size wrist it would suit on a middle-ish hole with a bit of leeway either side?

Thanks.
Old 10 August 2020, 02:21 AM   #5
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
You want to make sure the strap comes with the buckle. Not all straps have buckles and require another purchase.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 02:26 AM   #6
Crunchie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
You want to make sure the strap comes with the buckle. Not all straps have buckles and require another purchase.
Thanks, it comes with the buckle and spring bars.

Seems the more expensive the strap, the more extras you need to buy.
Old 10 August 2020, 04:24 AM   #7
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Andy, one other option to look into is swapping out the clasp on your bracelet for one of the newer clasps with a hidden micro-adjustment mechanism. You'd need to search the model number on the internet and find the correct part numbers, or alternatively bring your watch into a boutique to see if it's possible. I had an issue similar to yours with fitment of the bracelet on my Planet Ocean Chronograph. The boutique installed the new clasp in about 10 minutes and it was quite reasonable. Now I can perfectly size the bracelet in the mornings, and loosen or tighten throughout the day as needed.

I also have a Speedmaster Professional and it's the easiest watch to switch to straps, I do it all the time, currently on the OEM black gator strap with deployant. The lug-holes are far enough away from the case that it's quick to do with a Bergeron tool. I use the 6767-F model as it works well with my Explorer as well, which is a bit trickier to do strap and bracelet swaps.
uscmatt99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 04:36 AM   #8
stevedssd
"TRF" Member

JPM straps are made by Jean Paul Menicucci and are very well made, I have two. In terms of strap length they are usually listed with the length of the buckle side plus the longer side to give an overall length for the two parts. The average is 195-200mm or so, with the shorter and longer ones further away from that range. First time you put on a strap, make sure you fit the buckle side to the 12 O'Clock lug........ otherwise it's the wrong way round (for a buckled strap)
stevedssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 06:11 AM   #9
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
speedmaster is one of the greatest strap monsters out there. looks good on many materials and works well with many colors.

Since you have a hard time getting a perfect fit, check out the NATO options

Leather options are plenty, lately I've enjoyed my Colareb straps. Distressed leather looks good on the dark-themed watch dials.
Old 10 August 2020, 08:03 AM   #10
Wobbly
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeAZ View Post
speedmaster is one of the greatest strap monsters out there. looks good on many materials and works well with many colors.

Since you have a hard time getting a perfect fit, check out the NATO options

Leather options are plenty, lately I've enjoyed my Colareb straps. Distressed leather looks good on the dark-themed watch dials.
Speedie’s look great on a NATO, plenty of styles and colours to choose and relatively inexpensive.
Wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 11:34 PM   #11
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

I’ve found the more expensive the strap, in general the better it feels on the wrist (leather). Changing straps is easy once you get used to the spring bar tool. Would also consider trying it on NATO and/or another nylon type strap. My favorite for the speedy is a strap from Erika MN. I took the bracelet off my speedy a week after I got it several years ago and have never put it back on. Enjoy !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2020, 12:13 AM   #12
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Strap changes are easy. Changing NATO’s even easier once springbars are back in place. Here’s some inspiration, Admiralty grey and green Phoenix straps (the original military supplier).
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg C3770E8D-5333-4E84-92E2-4A3A46EACE48.jpeg (219.9 KB, 231 views)
File Type: jpeg 03B4E12F-3231-44C9-A2DC-0B9EDAA6DEDF.jpeg (218.6 KB, 227 views)
Old 15 August 2020, 04:12 AM   #13
Dennisoul
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570 Polar
Changing straps

Absolutely essential when changing any strap or bracelet use electrical tape or any tape of substance to tape up the lugs. It’ll save your watch from getting any scratches on the lugs......if you have a cheaper watch practice on that first. There are some great tutorials into you tube...this one is great it’s for a Rolex submariner but you’ll get the idea. I used this and it helped me. Preparation is the key and using the right tools for the job.
Changing straps is one of the joyful things about the speedy, you’ll get the hang of it and will be doing it in no time.....I don’t trust ADs to size or change any of my straps. Here’s mine on a sailcloth strap....good luck and take your time, and tape those lugs up.

https://youtu.be/2lRSYIyhDro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dennisoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2020, 11:41 PM   #14
alllexandru

First time scratch myself and went to the AD for help and changing straps.
Once you get used is quite easy, I can do it under 3 min and no sweating now
Search YT for tutorials and you’ll get it done by yourself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alllexandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2020, 01:01 AM   #15
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
The versatility of the watch is amazing. I tape the lugs, but listen you will get some minor scratching on the watch, its going to happen. Dont worry about it-it will be on the underside of the lugs and the speedy lugs are think and can take it. Enjoy.

That said, I am one of the few that feel the speedy bracelet is great. It fits as well as my rolex bracelets and people complain about the thickness, but I feel like it matches the curved lugs very well. The flat link bracelets of old, looked good with the straight lug speedies, but looks out of place with the twisted lugs used now.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2020, 02:09 AM   #16
KBM

My best advice is this: only buy straps that come with a quick release spring bar. It makes changing straps a breeze, you can wear 1 each time you have the watch on without ever having to worry about scratches, tools, etc. For the life of me I can't figure out why this isn't something all straps have built in.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote