The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 8 October 2019, 07:37 AM   #1
"TRF" Member

Speedy on a strap

Hey!
Question, I'm looking for a Speedy as a daily. Im not very familiar with Omega at all. Is a speedy reduced the right way to start? I'm not looking for something special but worth keeping. I'm tired of my flashy Rolex during office hours.

Thanks!
0315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2019, 08:10 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
The Speedy Pro is the one that Omega aficionados would give the nod to here, no reason to "start" with an imitation.

However, the Speedy Pro is a manual wind watch. If you do want something smaller with an automatic movement, the Speedmaster Reduced may be for you. From across the room nobody would notice.
Old 8 October 2019, 09:33 AM   #3
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0315 View Post
Hey!
Question, I'm looking for a Speedy as a daily. Im not very familiar with Omega at all. Is a speedy reduced the right way to start? I'm not looking for something special but worth keeping. I'm tired of my flashy Rolex during office hours.

Thanks!
Like Tools says, the heavily favored Speedmaster amongst enthusiasts is the Speedmaster Professional. There are interesting variants, but when ever someone asks "what if I want to have only one?", then the advice is overwhelmingly for the Speedmaster Professional.

See the enclosed link to Omega's site detailing that model on an alligator strap and deployant clasp.

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/w...31133423001001

MSRP is $5,250, and there are Trusted Sellers here on TRF who will sell one to you for ~$4,200 or so, brand new, with papers. Members here can refer you to those sellers if this interests you.

It's a dynamite watch, and I strongly recommend it!
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2019, 10:59 AM   #4
"TRF" Member

Awesome. Thanks!
Is it worth looking for a vintage one? Once again, no glue with Omega at all.
Old 8 October 2019, 01:07 PM   #5
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0315 View Post
Awesome. Thanks!
Is it worth looking for a vintage one? Once again, no glue with Omega at all.
In my opinion, the reason to seek a vintage Speedmaster is to have one with the Caliber 321 movement, which used a column-wheel mechanism to control the chronograph. These were produced from 1957 to ~1967, when that movement was replaced with Caliber 861. Vintage Speedmasters from the late '60s and early '70s using Caliber 861 are also charming, desirable watches, but I believe the earlier watches with Caliber 321 are the ones to hunt for.

Along with the mechanically elegant column-wheel, Caliber 321 has bragging rights for use on the moon, and this drives up demand amongst collectors. Here's the paragraph from Omega's answer on this topic posted to its "FAQ" section of its web site:

Which Speedmaster is the original Moon Watch?

The three following OMEGA Speedmaster references were worn on the moon: ST 105.012, ST 145.012 and ST 105.003. All of them were powered by the legendary 321 calibre.

References ST 105.012 and ST 145.012 were worn on the moon during the Apollo 11, 12, 14, 15, 16 and 17 missions.

Captain Eugene “Gene” Cernan also wore another watch on the moon during the Apollo 17 mission. This timepiece was an earlier NASA-issued Speedmaster carrying reference ST 105.003 and also powered by the calibre 321.

Today the emblematic “Moonwatch” lives on through our current collection of OMEGA Speedmasters which are still manufactured according to the 1965 NASA requirements.

Well-preserved examples of reference 105.012 and 145.012 can be costly, and if you're looking for something to wear daily in the office then I recommend simply buying a new one, which is essentially unchanged since 1968.

If you like the idea of wearing something vintage but a bit newer and more serviceable, then a 145.022 from the 1970s (using Caliber 861) is what you would look for. Some haven't aged well and look pretty cruddy by now, but if you search carefully and are patient then you might find a nice, well-preserved example for around the same cost as a brand-new Speedmaster Professional.

Hope this helps.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2019, 06:03 PM   #6
omitohud
"TRF" Member

Speedy on a strap

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
In my opinion, the reason to seek a vintage Speedmaster is to have one with the Caliber 321 movement, which used a column-wheel mechanism to control the chronograph. These were produced from 1957 to ~1967, when that movement was replaced with Caliber 861. Vintage Speedmasters from the late '60s and early '70s using Caliber 861 are also charming, desirable watches, but I believe the earlier watches with Caliber 321 are the ones to hunt for.

Along with the mechanically elegant column-wheel, Caliber 321 has bragging rights for use on the moon, and this drives up demand amongst collectors. Here's the paragraph from Omega's answer on this topic posted to its "FAQ" section of its web site:

Which Speedmaster is the original Moon Watch?

The three following OMEGA Speedmaster references were worn on the moon: ST 105.012, ST 145.012 and ST 105.003. All of them were powered by the legendary 321 calibre.

References ST 105.012 and ST 145.012 were worn on the moon during the Apollo 11, 12, 14, 15, 16 and 17 missions.

Captain Eugene “Gene” Cernan also wore another watch on the moon during the Apollo 17 mission. This timepiece was an earlier NASA-issued Speedmaster carrying reference ST 105.003 and also powered by the calibre 321.

Today the emblematic “Moonwatch” lives on through our current collection of OMEGA Speedmasters which are still manufactured according to the 1965 NASA requirements.

Well-preserved examples of reference 105.012 and 145.012 can be costly, and if you're looking for something to wear daily in the office then I recommend simply buying a new one, which is essentially unchanged since 1968.

If you like the idea of wearing something vintage but a bit newer and more serviceable, then a 145.022 from the 1970s (using Caliber 861) is what you would look for. Some haven't aged well and look pretty cruddy by now, but if you search carefully and are patient then you might find a nice, well-preserved example for around the same cost as a brand-new Speedmaster Professional.

Hope this helps.

Ahem. I respectfully disagree. Vintage 70’s speedy with 861 is equally collectible if not more than the 321. Just check out the price for tropical chocolate 69 speedy with 861. Remember man landed on the moon in 69, so it’s the most popular year of all collectible speedy. Sure vintage 321 is nice(omega just re-introduced new watches with 321 btw, which make this point moot), if u r willing to part with big lode of cash. They r the equivalent of the 50’s and 60’s Rolex, which we all know r very expensive n desirable.

Check this site out if u r searching for a vintage speedy. It has all the info u need including the best price guide. Speedmaster101.com. Good luck

Here is my unpolished pristine 71 with the vintage step dials.

PS stick with the speedy n stay away from the reduced. You’ll thank me later.

I blame it on autoconnect.
omitohud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2019, 10:52 PM   #7
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Go with the real deal. If you are concerned with wrist size and the reduced, remember the lug to lug length is the same as a sub, so don’t let the 42mm scare you, the crown guards add to the size. My wrist is 6.5” and I have no problem wearing it.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2019, 01:43 AM   #8
"TRF" Member

thanks again!! great comments!
somehow an actual model doesn't do it for me.. again, if this would be a Rolex question I probably would have answered to myself a Submariner no date. Once again, since I'm not in Omega (yet) at all I was wondering what is a good approach.

Budget is 2k-4k USD btw.
thanks
Old 11 October 2019, 10:50 AM   #9
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

This may make a few of the purists heads pop, but check out the First Omega in Space (FOIS). Very nice piece.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2019, 11:13 AM   #10
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
This may make a few of the purists heads pop, but check out the First Omega in Space (FOIS). Very nice piece.
+1. Looks better in my opinion without the crown guards too.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote