The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 25 July 2020, 03:55 AM   #1
JParm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
Having thoughts of the Speedy Apollo 11 50th...

What's the consensus on this piece?

I like the bracelet and the contrast with the gold bezel and black dial. Looks like there isn't too much of a premium on it on the secondary market; would love to get it new from the AD but I understand that they're sold out.

I had a Speedy in the past but let it go for the Tudor Snowflake. I think if I were to add one back into the collection, it would be something like this.

Any thoughts? (pic taken from the web)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (111.9 KB, 466 views)
Old 25 July 2020, 04:02 AM   #2
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Yep, I have one and love it. You are correct in that there is not too much of a premium in the US where the RRP seems higher than the U.K. as I say, I love it and it goes equally nicely on leather too.

All horses for courses though. I’m an oddball in that the boggo speedy doesn’t do a lot for me but I like this as it’s more premium feeling and looking. The only thing I don’t like is the lack of micro adjustment in the clasp.

If you get a chance and you like it, then go for it.
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2020, 04:37 AM   #3
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
I'd rather wait October to se what Omega got in its stores.
Henrimontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2020, 05:39 AM   #4
tmilnthorp
"TRF" Member

I previously owned this watch and ended up selling it.

I do like the aesthetic and the bracelet was great, but I just couldn't get over seeing Buzz's rear-end every time I looked at it.

If it weren't for that, I'd probably have kept it. I don't see watches with graphics on the front aging well!
tmilnthorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2020, 06:15 AM   #5
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmilnthorp View Post
I previously owned this watch and ended up selling it.

I do like the aesthetic and the bracelet was great, but I just couldn't get over seeing Buzz's rear-end every time I looked at it.

If it weren't for that, I'd probably have kept it. I don't see watches with graphics on the front aging well!
I do get that - but I honestly never notice it. I guess if it is an issue when you buy the watch you won’t get over it. To anyone else it just looks like a gold sub dial.

Horses for courses I guess
Old 25 July 2020, 06:32 AM   #6
JParm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec14 View Post
I do get that - but I honestly never notice it. I guess if it is an issue when you buy the watch you won’t get over it. To anyone else it just looks like a gold sub dial.

Horses for courses I guess
I know that his derriere has been a topic of conversation, but it really doesn't bother me at all.

The rest of the watch looks great, and it honestly takes some of the boredom of the Speedy away (in my opinion of course!).
Old 25 July 2020, 11:21 AM   #7
Jster
2024 Pledge Member

I love it. If I could change one thing I would replace the second hand subdial with the mission patch logo of the eagle landing on the moon. That would be bad ass.
Jster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2020, 12:25 PM   #8
Easy E

Say no to the butt. You have some really awesome timeless classic watches. I think in short time the graphic novelty will wear off. Wait and see what 2020 brings.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2020, 12:45 PM   #9
Cabaiguan
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTII
I’m not a fan of any Speedy with a graphic on the dial/subdial. Just too gimmicky. No for me on this one.
Cabaiguan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2020, 06:42 PM   #10
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec14 View Post
Yep, I have one and love it. You are correct in that there is not too much of a premium in the US where the RRP seems higher than the U.K. as I say, I love it and it goes equally nicely on leather too.

All horses for courses though. I’m an oddball in that the boggo speedy doesn’t do a lot for me but I like this as it’s more premium feeling and looking. The only thing I don’t like is the lack of micro adjustment in the clasp.

If you get a chance and you like it, then go for it.
This is what makes it all so interesting. I never really had a desire for a Speedy until I tried one on 1 week before lockdown! I looked at some of the LE pieces, but I just don’t really get them. The one featured whilst incredible in detail just seems too fussy!
I located a final series tritium Professional and with 1 day to go before lockdown had it delivered to me just in time.
All superb and as you say, horses for courses
Old 25 July 2020, 08:55 PM   #11
rolexfanforlife
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
I got this not too long ago and it truly is an awesome watch- highly recommend!
GS: SBGP017; Omega: PO diamond; RM: 67-02 (Green); Rolex: 16710, 16520, 116509 (TMOP), 116520, 5513, 1680, 16013 (Tiffany stamped), 116610LV, 124300 x 2 (Celebration; Green), 126719BLRO (Meteorite), 226570 (polar) Oyster Quartz; Tag: Monaco; VC: Patrimony!
rolexfanforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2020, 10:24 PM   #12
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
I think it's gorgeous. My speedy pro is one of my favorite watches. My gripe with this one is that its just a bit too expensive.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2020, 11:32 PM   #13
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
I can't get past the 9 subdial. Simple as that. Lover everything else about it. I don't like the image they chose and I generally prefer symmetry in watches. Would have just preferred the standard 9 sub.

Have you checked out the gold 50th? That one is really nice. If I had the funds I might pick up this piece. It's more subtle with the dial. Love that particular gold color they used too.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S10 using Tapatalk
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2020, 02:57 AM   #14
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
So if you go on the website it doesn’t say that it’s sold out. I brought this up with my OB a couple of weeks ago and the GM said that it probably means that it’s available. But that’s as far as the conversation went because I’m no looking to buy one and they have filled all of their orders.
I also get the impression that boutiques can get things if there are any still floating in the system. My OB offered me an ultraman well after they were sold out saying that someone canceled and there was one up for grabs. I think for the Apollo 11 you should work with an OB and not an AD.
This watch is amazing in person. Only reason I passed was because of the aforementioned Buzz booty. I so wish they put the footprint in there instead. Good luck with your decision!

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/w...31020425001001
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2020, 04:07 AM   #15
Talbel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42itus View Post
So if you go on the website it doesn’t say that it’s sold out. I brought this up with my OB a couple of weeks ago and the GM said that it probably means that it’s available. But that’s as far as the conversation went because I’m no looking to buy one and they have filled all of their orders.
I also get the impression that boutiques can get things if there are any still floating in the system. My OB offered me an ultraman well after they were sold out saying that someone canceled and there was one up for grabs. I think for the Apollo 11 you should work with an OB and not an AD.
This watch is amazing in person. Only reason I passed was because of the aforementioned Buzz booty. I so wish they put the footprint in there instead. Good luck with your decision!

They have had them on available on the website a couple of times over the last few months and my AD offered one to me recently as well. Right now the site says contact your boutique, but I have seen it on their site where they will let you order one from time to time. It is an LE, but they didn’t make and distribute the whole run in one shot. I definitely wouldn’t pay a premium, but it’s a great looking watch.
Talbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2020, 02:34 PM   #16
Passinthru
2024 Pledge Member

Personally, I am not butt bothered, butt it does make it difficult to see the gold second hand, which I never look for anyway. I picked mine up at the OB (a memorable experience) on July 20 of last year, and I will keep mine until my last year. The watch, IMHO, is just beautiful. Butt .... I also watched the moon walk when it happened, so it may have a little more meaning for me than someone who just wants it to collect.
Passinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2020, 09:03 PM   #17
JParm

If I'm being honest, there are a couple things that have drawn me away from Omega in the past, and the Speedmaster specifically:

1. Too many limited editions (and all the different Speedys, for that matter)
2. Cartoony subdials for every "special" year
3. The current Speedy bracelet. It just does nothing for me.

This watch, while hitting #1 and 2 above, has what appears to be an amazing bracelet that looks very similar to the original, which I love. As I've said, I am not bothered by the image of Buzz, and kind of like how divisive it is! Lastly, while it's another limited edition from the brand of LE's...it is the 50th anniversary of the moon landing, so I can't fault them for that.

At the very least, the gold hues on black / grey dial paired with the beautiful bracelet differentiate it enough that it can't be duplicated too easily by Omega (one would hope).

As someone said above, I am generally more of a classic watch type of guy, but this modern beast might break the mold for me (the same the Hulk smashed into my collection).

If I can get one from an AD /OB, I think I will pull the trigger.
Old 26 July 2020, 09:23 PM   #18
eman1200
"TRF" Member

never heard the term “horses for courses” before
eman1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2020, 09:53 PM   #19
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

It's a great timepieces that marks the 50th Anniversary. If you can swing the $$$ for the all-gold version, that's nice too. For me, the SS was a go-to and love it! The bracelet is soooooooooo comfy too.

:)
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2020, 03:00 AM   #20
JParm

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbel View Post
They have had them on available on the website a couple of times over the last few months and my AD offered one to me recently as well. Right now the site says contact your boutique, but I have seen it on their site where they will let you order one from time to time. It is an LE, but they didn’t make and distribute the whole run in one shot. I definitely wouldn’t pay a premium, but it’s a great looking watch.
Thanks guys. I just called about 5 different dealers and all have said sold out.

Might have to go secondary, but prefer not to.
Old 27 July 2020, 03:22 AM   #21
donk344
Banned

Nothing wrong with going Secondary, Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
donk344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2020, 12:36 AM   #22
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman1200 View Post
never heard the term “horses for courses” before

Sorry - an English term. Sort of similar to your mileage may vary

Old 28 July 2020, 04:00 AM   #23
tmilnthorp
"TRF" Member

There's one for sale on Rolex forums now!
tmilnthorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2020, 04:06 AM   #24
trippinjimmy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy14@hotmail.com View Post
Thanks guys. I just called about 5 different dealers and all have said sold out.

Might have to go secondary, but prefer not to.
I'd keep checking Omega's website. They seem to come back in stock magically. Alternatively, if you've only called ADs, call a boutique. I bet they'd be able to get their hands on one much easier than an AD at this point.

PS - I second taking a look at the all gold one!
trippinjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2020, 07:05 PM   #25
glamorama
"TRF" Member

Would be great if it wasn't for the gimmicky sub-dial image.
glamorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2020, 08:47 AM   #26
Skyrider01
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Usually if the website says to contact a boutique it means that there may still be some out there which the boutique can source.

They have been "sold out" soon after it was announced. I got on the list in March when it was first announced. There were 5 of us on that AD's list with deposits and they only received 2 pieces. The US allocation was supposedly sold out before deliveries even started.

The fact that about a month ago it was available on the website again for a short period of time indicated that either Omega was holding back some pieces, or people that were on the list to get one decided to pass.

As far as Buzz's butt goes, I too didn't care for it at first. But I got used to it and it doesn't bother me at all because
1. unlike in pictures where the watch is blown up, the subdial is small enough that the details don't show as well.
2. the rest of the watch is amazing and makes up for it.
Skyrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2020, 09:01 AM   #27
42itus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrider01 View Post
1. unlike in pictures where the watch is blown up, the subdial is small enough that the details don't show as well.
2. the rest of the watch is amazing and makes up for it.
I called my OB on behalf of the OP and I was told that they can probably get me one if I put down a deposit. So I think you’re right that either some people canceled or they released more. It’s smart I guess to make it feel like it’s sold out and then release more.

Totally agree with you on the thoughts about Buzz. You don’t really notice it and it’s a spectacular watch regardless. My hang up was that I psyched myself up into believing that there would be the footprint on there somewhere. Either on the back or on the subdial.
And the other factor is that my 2020(one) Tokyo Olympic Speedy is also black with a matte dial with gold accents.

Old 30 July 2020, 01:32 PM   #28
Skyrider01
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I called my OB on behalf of the OP and I was told that they can probably get me one if I put down a deposit. So I think you’re right that either some people canceled or they released more. It’s smart I guess to make it feel like it’s sold out and then release more.

Totally agree with you on the thoughts about Buzz. You don’t really notice it and it’s a spectacular watch regardless. My hang up was that I psyched myself up into believing that there would be the footprint on there somewhere. Either on the back or on the subdial.
And the other factor is that my 2020(one) Tokyo Olympic Speedy is also black with a matte dial with gold accents.

Good luck, I hope you can get one.
The footprint IS on the back of the case. But many of us were hoping it would be on the subdial instead of Buzz's butt.
Skyrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2020, 03:35 PM   #29
42itus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrider01 View Post
Good luck, I hope you can get one.
The footprint IS on the back of the case. But many of us were hoping it would be on the subdial instead of Buzz's butt.

Lol. I guess that ship sailed in my mind.