The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 February 2017, 03:48 PM   #1
JParm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
Where do new old stock watches come from?

More of a general question, not just new old stock but new watches that still have stickers on and are anywhere from 2-10 years old. For example, a lot of the trusted sellers have 16710's that are BNIB, yet the watches are 10-15 years old.

How is this possible? Where are they getting them? Why weren't they sold in the first place by ADs, considering these watches are highly desirable? I get it if a dealer kept a few in the safe once they stopped making them, but what about Hulks that are 2-3 years old and BNIB? In theory, these watches are flying off the shelves and ADs can't keep them for longer than a month (based on what I read on the forums anyway), yet here we are, seeing them for sale in the grey market. Any thoughts?
Old 11 February 2017, 03:51 PM   #2
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy14@hotmail.com View Post
More of a general question, not just new old stock but new watches that still have stickers on and are anywhere from 2-10 years old. For example, a lot of the trusted sellers have 16710's that are BNIB, yet the watches are 10-15 years old.

How is this possible? Where are they getting them? Why weren't they sold in the first place by ADs, considering these watches are highly desirable? I get it if a dealer kept a few in the safe once they stopped making them, but what about Hulks that are 2-3 years old and BNIB? In theory, these watches are flying off the shelves and ADs can't keep them for longer than a month (based on what I read on the forums anyway), yet here we are, seeing them for sale in the grey market. Any thoughts?
Some people buy watches and keep them in safes as "investments".

Can these still be re-sold as BNIB? I guess it depends on who you ask. I would be careful with the term BNIB, unless a re-seller has papers that shows a recent AD purchase and the watch comes with a full 5 year warranty.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2017, 04:03 PM   #3
Scapegoat
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Pro
I can imagine people buying watch and keeping them in the safe completely untouched. With good luck and foresight, you could make some money!
Scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2017, 04:24 PM   #4
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

I've seen some 5+ year old models (G Serial) sold by AD's today with warranties beginning today. I consider that to be "New Old Stock."

Perhaps my definition is incorrect, though.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2017, 05:00 PM   #5
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
New Old Stock come from either AD's inventories, or "safe queens" that have been kept untouched with stickers on in private collections as the friends above have mentioned.

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2017, 06:14 PM   #6
Gaijin

Watch: ing your back.
About three years ago I stumbled on a NIB 16610 LV at a bricks and mortar grey in Osaka. I couldn't believe it. Bought it. It's been wrapped up and salted away. That is how I got mine.

As far as trusted sellers I imagine they get them from people like me or an AD that had one in the back.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2017, 06:25 PM   #7
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
I've seen some 5+ year old models (G Serial) sold by AD's today with warranties beginning today. I consider that to be "New Old Stock."

Perhaps my definition is incorrect, though.
Not true single G serials started a little later in 2010 than the random serials and both were running in the same time frame for many years.Truth be told know-one only Rolex knows when a completed watch was made.All these internet charts can only give a indication between X&Y years when the case/clasp was stamped and not when it was made.And works the best with fast sellers like the SS and not with slow precious metal sellers.And the first 114060M ceramic subs were single letter G serials, and many on forum said they must be new old stock now that did make me smile.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2017, 07:20 PM   #8
Rolexdelight
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
Some people buy watches and keep them in safes as "investments".

Can these still be re-sold as BNIB? I guess it depends on who you ask. I would be careful with the term BNIB, unless a re-seller has papers that shows a recent AD purchase and the watch comes with a full 5 year warranty.
A watch bought in 2001 unworn and with all papers and kept in safe. One decided to sell can this be described as BNIB?
Rolexdelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2017, 07:36 PM   #9
U5512
"TRF" Member

I still have a brand new Sea-Dweller with an M serial number that I purchased from an authorized dealer back in 2008. It's unworn, with protective plastic on the case and bracelet, and it's been in the bank safety deposit box since 2008.

That's new old stock...from a private collection.
It is a known issue that all of the SubC and GMTIIC's movement have reliability issues. Something to do with a spring that was introduced. I expect this to further increase the value of older Submariners and GMTIIs.
Heck why can't I start my own internet rumor and raise the prices of MY WATCHES!!!!
U5512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2017, 07:55 PM   #10
Rolexdelight
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by U5512 View Post
I still have a brand new Sea-Dweller with an M serial number that I purchased from an authorized dealer back in 2008. It's unworn, with protective plastic on the case and bracelet, and it's been in the bank safety deposit box since 2008.

That's new old stock...from a private collection.
IMO - I would say BNIB but not NOS as the item was sold once by a retailer.
Rolexdelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2017, 12:09 AM   #11
Bysn
"TRF" Member

Sorry to be the noon here but what does BNIB mean?

Sent from my SM-N910U using Tapatalk
Bysn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2017, 12:13 AM   #12
Toony
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bysn View Post
Sorry to be the noon here but what does BNIB mean?

Brand New In Box
Toony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2017, 12:56 AM   #13
Bysn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toony View Post
Brand New In Box
Thanks

Bysn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2017, 12:59 AM   #14
Danny83

Watch: Yellow Gold
Ad owners buy them and sit on them. Then when time is right they sell
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2017, 02:23 AM   #15
mtgjr
Banned

Watch: Pepsi GMT
From the NOS store, of course.
mtgjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2017, 05:45 AM   #16
Layner
"TRF" Member

I was at the Wynn this weekend and was shocked to see a new meteorite Daytona in their case. I asked the saleswoman who was helping me how that was possible with them being out of production as I doubted it had been sitting there for years. Her response: "I'm not really sure, this is an important store for Rolex and they take care of us. We sell them all the time, and after we do, there's always a new one in our next shipment."
Layner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2017, 07:02 AM   #17
JParm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layner View Post
I was at the Wynn this weekend and was shocked to see a new meteorite Daytona in their case. I asked the saleswoman who was helping me how that was possible with them being out of production as I doubted it had been sitting there for years. Her response: "I'm not really sure, this is an important store for Rolex and they take care of us. We sell them all the time, and after we do, there's always a new one in our next shipment."
That's very interesting. An AD employee not knowing where or how their watches arrive. Crazy!
Old 12 February 2017, 07:03 AM   #18
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexdelight View Post
A watch bought in 2001 unworn and with all papers and kept in safe. One decided to sell can this be described as BNIB?
I guess it depends on your definition of BNIB.

If I were to buy a watch BNIB, I would want some warranty, especially if a watch had been sitting around for 15+ years. The watch may be fine or it may need servicing. If it is the latter, then the watch is far from BNIB IMHO.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2017, 07:27 AM   #19
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layner View Post
That *is* interesting.

I suspect their pricing would be MSRP since it's a Rolex Boutique... But the prospect of a brand new Meteorite Daytona is intriguing to me!
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2017, 10:22 AM   #20
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
It is not "Brand New..." if it has already been sold once, nor is it "New Old Stock"; it could be "Like New...", or "Unworn".. but it can only be "New" once..

How somebody is marketing it isn't always reality..
Old 12 February 2017, 10:33 AM   #21
soundserious
"TRF" Member

Sometimes sets are assembled and cases are refinished and the package is advertised as NOS.
Old 12 February 2017, 11:55 AM   #22
JParm

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundserious View Post
Sometimes sets are assembled and cases are refinished and the package is advertised as NOS.
In that case, that's a complete misrepresentation of what's actually happening and is false advertising.
Old 13 February 2017, 12:36 AM   #23
Gaijin

Watch: ing your back.
If all the stickers are not still on and in place and the watch has never been worn or sized then NOS does not apply. I reckon.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote