The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 7 September 2017, 11:09 AM   #1
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

8500 vs. 8900

I've always liked the Aqua Terra 41.5 with brown leather band and orange accents. Its $5900 and has the 8500 movement.

I just looked at the Aqua Terra 41 with a leather band. Its $5400 and has the 8900 movement.

Why is the more advanced 8900 less expensive than the 8500?
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2017, 12:34 PM   #2
Bushido
"TRF" Member

Could you provide the model numbers of the two watches you're deciding between? I believe Omega shifted around pricing a little bit as some new models were introduced this year. It could be just the result of this shift? If you could provide which specific watches, it might help out if it's just pricing change or variance in materials/construction.
Bushido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2017, 09:20 AM   #3
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushido View Post
Could you provide the model numbers of the two watches you're deciding between? I believe Omega shifted around pricing a little bit as some new models were introduced this year. It could be just the result of this shift? If you could provide which specific watches, it might help out if it's just pricing change or variance in materials/construction.
220.12.41.21.02.001 for $5400 with 8900

231.12.42.21.01.002 for $5900 with 8500

I can't figure out what would justify a higher price for the $5900 watch.
Old 8 September 2017, 12:21 PM   #4
Bushido
"TRF" Member

Okay, I tried looking up everything I could to come up with an answer. Honestly, I think this price variance is due to Omega shifting price points around this year. My best guess is that the 8500 you are looking at was one of their first (I think) master co-axial movements and so they asked a small premium on them. Then, with the recent released ATs, METAS has been out for a bit and they can't demand a premium for them.

Case, materials, and size all seem comparable. So, unless you like the dial on the 8500 enough to pay the premium, go with the upgraded 8900 movement at the lower price point.

Here's a good link to some of the specifics on the watches and their movements:
http://watchbase.com/omega/aqua-terr...2-42-21-01-002
http://watchbase.com/omega/aqua-terr...2-41-21-02-001

Hope this helps.
Old 9 September 2017, 10:02 PM   #5
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Okay, I tried looking up everything I could to come up with an answer. Honestly, I think this price variance is due to Omega shifting price points around this year. My best guess is that the 8500 you are looking at was one of their first (I think) master co-axial movements and so they asked a small premium on them. Then, with the recent released ATs, METAS has been out for a bit and they can't demand a premium for them.

Case, materials, and size all seem comparable. So, unless you like the dial on the 8500 enough to pay the premium, go with the upgraded 8900 movement at the lower price point.

Here's a good link to some of the specifics on the watches and their movements:
http://watchbase.com/omega/aqua-terr...2-42-21-01-002
http://watchbase.com/omega/aqua-terr...2-41-21-02-001

Hope this helps.
Thanks for insight. Great website.

Buying the 8900 for less dough would be fine.....except I do not like that white dial. Black is way better.
Old 10 September 2017, 02:29 AM   #6
Bushido
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by No SUBctitute View Post
Thanks for insight. Great website.

Buying the 8900 for less dough would be fine.....except I do not like that white dial. Black is way better.
I think you're covered. The new AT comes in a variety of dial options. I'm personally digging the slate dial with blue markers. An attractive black dial is one of the other configurations as well.

If you haven't yet, take a peak at Omega's site on the different options on the new AT and see if one jumps out at you:

https://www.omegawatches.com/watches...2012412102001/
Old 10 September 2017, 01:14 PM   #7
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think you're covered. The new AT comes in a variety of dial options. I'm personally digging the slate dial with blue markers. An attractive black dial is one of the other configurations as well.

If you haven't yet, take a peak at Omega's site on the different options on the new AT and see if one jumps out at you:

Thanks! I have seen it. There is no brown leather band and black dial like previous models.
Old 14 September 2017, 02:58 PM   #8
Mega Lacito
"TRF" Member

i would go for the 8500!
Mega Lacito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 10:30 PM   #9
uzona
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41s blk and whit
Quote:

I went with the white/silver dial because it now is the only light dial in my collection. I almost went for the old Globemaster in white/silver but glad I waited for this new AT. Much cooler looking and modern for everyday use.
Steel on steel.
uzona is offline   Reply With Quote