The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 30 September 2017, 08:07 PM   #1
Ok4696
"TRF" Member

Omega Speedmaster 57' as EDC

Hey, I'm currently thinking about buying my first "serious" luxury watch and after some intensive research I'm down to just 2 options;
the steel with black dial (non broad arrow) Omega Speedmaster 57' (331.10.42.51.01.001)
and the Rolex Submariner with black dial and stainless steel (116610LN).
my question is which of those is a better everyday carry? since it would be my only watch for a few years, it has to be suitable for my everyday life.
also, i wouldn't want it to be too much of a show-off, or too common. but not too much under the radar.
the watch has to have an automatic movement and a date.
also worth mentioning - I'm 21 years old and want a watch that would look appropriate for my age.

the important aspects for an edc are for me:

1. suitability for variety of outfits (i would wear it all the time and want it to compliment my clothes, do not wear suits etc)
2. casual water resistance (I'm not a diver but i don't want to thinks about taking of my watch for every shower or every time i enter a pool..)
3. overall reliablilty.
4. overall impression.

what are your opinions ?

thanks
Ok4696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2017, 08:48 PM   #2
Michael N Q8
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona SS White
Have you considered the Speedmaster from the trilogy set? they are about to become available. This would be a really good all rounder, and possibly cheaper than the 57 with the 9300 movement. Only issues are that it’s a manual wind and has a heselite crystal. Of the 2 you are considering, I would say the sub is better.
116520 Daytona white, 116500 Daytona black, 126600 SD, Speedmaster Pro, 116710BLNR GMT II, Speedmaster trilogy 57, Breitling Navitimer A23322, Seiko SKX007J, Seiko Mini turtle PADI, Seiko 5 Sport Diver.
Michael N Q8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2017, 10:23 PM   #3
mobster600
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
The sub is going to be high on the totem pole here. The Omega has alot of color and strap options from the factory. And the glass back to show off the new movement is awesome. Also the Omega has the chrono. The dark/grey side of the Moon are part of the date/chrono family.

I would say, check out the sub last because that is the “no brainer” choice.
mobster600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2017, 04:53 AM   #4
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael N Q8 View Post
Have you considered the Speedmaster from the trilogy set? they are about to become available. This would be a really good all rounder, and possibly cheaper than the 57 with the 9300 movement. Only issues are that it’s a manual wind and has a heselite crystal. Of the 2 you are considering, I would say the sub is better.
Great watch, but the OP is looking specifically for a watch that is automatic winding and has the date.

OP: it’s interesting that you’re comparing a Diver and a chrono. You might consider a Planet Ocean as an alternative to the Submariner. That being said, I think both of your options would make a great EDC.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2017, 07:03 AM   #5
DonBateman
Banned

Watch: I like watch
You know I think the 57 would be a better pick. Everybody has a sub.
DonBateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2017, 01:37 PM   #6
Leandro
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16710 LN
I have both, and for every day, practical use I'd recommend the Sub. It's automatic, with date function, robust, and an icon as well. The Speedy is a beautiful watch, full of history and meaning, but I wear it only on special ocasions.
Leandro is offline   Reply With Quote