The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 February 2017, 12:55 PM   #1
Holy_Peanuts
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
Rolex Explorer II 16570, -16 seconds per day. Help

Hi Everyone,

New member here :).

I recently bought a used 1995 Rolex Explorer II from a trusted seller on eBay for 4700$CAD . The deal was made at the sellers house in person. I would post a link to their store but I dont know if I would be breaking any forum rules in doing so.. They have 750+ feedback and sell expensive watches daily.

After about a week of wearing it, I noticed it was running at roughly -16 seconds per day. I contacted the seller and he offered to have it serviced at no cost for me. Only cost was the 2 months I was without the watch . I just got it back 2 days ago and to my unfortunate surprise, the darn watch still runs at -16 seconds per day..

The seller gave me the phone number of whoever serviced it in Los Angeles and I was told to call back Monday. I was hoping to leave a message when I called but I actually surprisingly got through to someone on Saturday evening.

Does anyone have any advice for me?

Im quite baffled at how a watch that was apparently completely overhauled can still run outisde of COSC specs. Did they not verify its accuracy before returning it to me?

Is it normal for a 20 year old rolex to be so inaccurate? To my understanding it isnt but I will admit, I dont know much about watches..

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Holy_Peanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2017, 01:31 PM   #2
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

My advice is not to take it back to that watchmaker. He clearly can't regulate or gives the work to someone who can't.

Look up a certified local watchmaker and have it regulated.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2017, 01:34 PM   #3
natosub
"TRF" Member

Watch: the tide roll in..
I am the opposite of an expert, but seems strange for a watch to be completely disassembled, cleaned, lubed, reassembled, and running exactly as poorly as it was before.

If a proper service was completed though, a simple regulation should bring it back into spec.
natosub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2017, 01:36 PM   #4
U5512
"TRF" Member

That sucks. If they ever serviced your watch, they didn't even bother to put it on a timing machine and perform final regulation to spec. If you have a local watchmaker to you, pay a few bucks to have it regulated and move on.
It is a known issue that all of the SubC and GMTIIC's movement have reliability issues. Something to do with a spring that was introduced. I expect this to further increase the value of older Submariners and GMTIIs.
Heck why can't I start my own internet rumor and raise the prices of MY WATCHES!!!!
U5512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2017, 01:38 PM   #5
blue16613
Banned

Have you made your "trusted seller" aware? If not, do so!

"Trusted seller" is not a certification one achieves by selling some number of watches or getting a certain amount of positive feedback. It is EARNED on the basis of the way that situations like this are managed.

Please keep us informed!
blue16613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2017, 02:14 PM   #6
Westland
Banned

Watch: Rolex Sub TT Serti
What's the service history? Did you receive documentation of any service history? You may have to bite the bullet and send it to the RSC... It's not the worst thing in the world...
Westland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2017, 02:18 PM   #7
beer
"TRF" Member

Watch: all
Quote:
Originally Posted by natosub View Post
I am the opposite of an expert, but seems strange for a watch to be completely disassembled, cleaned, lubed, reassembled, and running exactly as poorly as it was before.

If a proper service was completed though, a simple regulation should bring it back into spec.
yep sounds like the watchmaker forgot to service it maybe there was a mixup and the watch got moved straight from the inbound to the outbound section of his workshop without actually getting the service
Old 12 February 2017, 02:33 PM   #8
Holy_Peanuts
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue16613 View Post
Have you made your "trusted seller" aware? If not, do so!

"Trusted seller" is not a certification one achieves by selling some number of watches or getting a certain amount of positive feedback. It is EARNED on the basis of the way that situations like this are managed.

Please keep us informed!
I did. Thats when he recommended I return it for my money back. Im quite disappointed he would rather just have me return it than be a happy customer.. IM also very shocked he wasn't a little surprised and disapointed that after 2 months, nothing was fixed..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westland View Post
What's the service history? Did you receive documentation of any service history? You may have to bite the bullet and send it to the RSC... It's not the worst thing in the world...
Dont know the service history and have not seen any documentation regarding service history.

My concern about sending it to an RSC is a) cost, and b) if by any chance this watch has a bad history, wont they keep it?

Thank you all for your answers!
Holy_Peanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2017, 10:59 PM   #9
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Rolex Explorer II 16570, -16 seconds per day. Help

If you can still get a refund, I'd do it. There are better performing Expl. II's here on the TRF website with trusted sellers.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2017, 01:22 AM   #10
Westland
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy_Peanuts View Post
I did. Thats when he recommended I return it for my money back. Im quite disappointed he would rather just have me return it than be a happy customer.. IM also very shocked he wasn't a little surprised and disapointed that after 2 months, nothing was fixed..

Dont know the service history and have not seen any documentation regarding service history.

My concern about sending it to an RSC is a) cost, and b) if by any chance this watch has a bad history, wont they keep it?

Thank you all for your answers!
Allow me to address your 2 points: 1) I understand cost is a concern, but this is the Rolex game--costs can be unexpected, somewhat tough to swallow, and just part of the equation.

2) Your concern about the piece having a bad history is something you need to address while vetting the seller, before purchase. You own it now, so we have to look at other options... The RSC will not service a Folex, if indeed that's the issue. As far as them keeping it, I'm not sure they can simply keep your personal property. Personally, if it were fake, I'd probably want them to keep it, just cut my losses, and move on!

If you know the piece is real, save up some cash and send it to the RSC. I agree with a previous poster: Try to get s refund first, but assuming that doesn't work, I'd move forward with the RSC.
Old 13 February 2017, 01:23 AM   #11
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Time for RSC.
red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2017, 01:39 AM   #12
Westland
Banned

OP, to expand further, if the RSC does indeed deem that fake internals have been applied to your piece, you can then use that info to threaten the seller with a lawsuit.

You should want to send it to the RSC at this point in order to get peace of mind.
Old 13 February 2017, 03:17 AM   #13
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy_Peanuts View Post
Hi Everyone,

New member here :).

I recently bought a used 1995 Rolex Explorer II from a trusted seller on eBay for 4700$CAD . The deal was made at the sellers house in person. I would post a link to their store but I dont know if I would be breaking any forum rules in doing so.. They have 750+ feedback and sell expensive watches daily.

After about a week of wearing it, I noticed it was running at roughly -16 seconds per day. I contacted the seller and he offered to have it serviced at no cost for me. Only cost was the 2 months I was without the watch . I just got it back 2 days ago and to my unfortunate surprise, the darn watch still runs at -16 seconds per day..

The seller gave me the phone number of whoever serviced it in Los Angeles and I was told to call back Monday. I was hoping to leave a message when I called but I actually surprisingly got through to someone on Saturday evening.

Does anyone have any advice for me?

Im quite baffled at how a watch that was apparently completely overhauled can still run outisde of COSC specs. Did they not verify its accuracy before returning it to me?

Is it normal for a 20 year old rolex to be so inaccurate? To my understanding it isnt but I will admit, I dont know much about watches..

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
If the watch was running -16 seconds before it was serviced and after a service its still running -16 seconds,I find that very very unlikely.Now thats if they did strip the movement down and service it,but if its the same -16 then you have a very very consistent time keeping watch, which is the most important thing with any mechanical watch consistency. So all thats needed is simple regulation to bring it back to within the COSC spec. Try giving it a full manual wind 40 full crown turns clockwise only,then wear for eight hour a day.Check time once daily with a reliable time source right down loss or gain over 7 days.If still running out of spec it needs regulating a very simple task and that 20 year old movement has not changed a lot over the present day movement..

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2017, 03:54 AM   #14
mattmcmhn
2024 Pledge Member

Where was it sent in LA?
mattmcmhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2017, 04:42 AM   #15
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
I would be interested in how the watch was tested to determine that it was running -16 per day.

Especially if it was, indeed, serviced in between.

(if it is, a simple regulation is cheap and plentiful at any watch shop)