The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 15 May 2018, 01:04 AM   #1
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek/Rolex/GS
PAM 728 and 729

Any thoughts on these watches from fellow Paneristis?

The Due was met with pretty widespread dislike by most Panerai fans when the initial few models were released in 2016, but these two look interesting are apparently limited edition.

Has anyone here bought one or seen one in person? Unlike other PAM models, I know these aren't being discounted much by AD's and the most they seem to be discounted by grey market dealers are 10%.

Any thoughts on the aesthetics/movement (hand wound, 3 day)?
bruinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2018, 01:46 AM   #2
The OG Beef
"TRF" Member

I see them for what they are and what they are not. They’re an entry for folks who love the PAM look, but not the size, and they’ve been hugely successful. They’re not for the staunch traditionalist.

That said, even though I tend to consider myself one of those stubborn traditionalists, I’ve given great consideration to the 728. The aesthetics are stunning and it’s perfect for under a cuff.

Sent from Beef’s iPhone using Tapatalk
The OG Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2018, 02:40 AM   #3
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OG Beef View Post
I see them for what they are and what they are not. They’re an entry for folks who love the PAM look, but not the size, and they’ve been hugely successful. They’re not for the staunch traditionalist.

That said, even though I tend to consider myself one of those stubborn traditionalists, I’ve given great consideration to the 728. The aesthetics are stunning and it’s perfect for under a cuff.

Sent from Beef’s iPhone using Tapatalk
spot on and agree that the Due was brought to market likely to appeal to the non traditionalist who loves the look but doesn't have the wrist for a more traditional PAM with a 1950's case.
I barely pull off my 1312, and have to say that I didn't love the 674/676 when I tried them on, although I was fairly new to Panerai back then in 2016.
Now, I'm much more on board with having a thinner smaller case for a luminor and one that can fit under my dress shirt cuffs, as you mentioned-- especially with a sunburst blue dial

Any opinion on the hand wound movement in the 728 (p1000) relative to the auto movement in the 729 (p4000)?
Old 15 May 2018, 02:57 AM   #4
The OG Beef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinmd View Post
spot on and agree that the Due was brought to market likely to appeal to the non traditionalist who loves the look but doesn't have the wrist for a more traditional PAM with a 1950's case.

I barely pull off my 1312, and have to say that I didn't love the 674/676 when I tried them on, although I was fairly new to Panerai back then in 2016.

Now, I'm much more on board with having a thinner smaller case for a luminor and one that can fit under my dress shirt cuffs, as you mentioned-- especially with a sunburst blue dial

Any opinion on the hand wound movement in the 728 (p1000) relative to the auto movement in the 729 (p4000)?

I don’t own any pieces with either movement, but I prefer manual winds. That’s just a personal preference.

IMO the 728, at 42mm, looks better than the 729 at 45mm. The proportions of the dial to case etc just work better.

Sent from Beef’s iPad using Tapatalk
The OG Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2018, 03:40 AM   #5
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Watch: panerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by The OG Beef View Post
I don’t own any pieces with either movement, but I prefer manual winds. That’s just a personal preference.

IMO the 728, at 42mm, looks better than the 729 at 45mm. The proportions of the dial to case etc just work better.

Sent from Beef’s iPad using Tapatalk
agree beef....they look great on the wrist

the blue dial is amazing in person

chgo_risti on IG
fullcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2018, 04:17 AM   #6
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullcourt View Post
agree beef....they look great on the wrist

the blue dial is amazing in person
I have the chance to get one at a 5% discount from an AD (out of state). They said if for some reason I don't love it, I can return it for a full refund.
They also said they don't expect to get another one, although I do see a handful on the grey market
Old 15 May 2018, 05:17 AM   #7
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Well, the Ti, blue dial and gold hands is a really nice combo. I'd love it in a non-Due model.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2018, 11:19 AM   #8
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Watch: panerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinmd View Post
I have the chance to get one at a 5% discount from an AD (out of state). They said if for some reason I don't love it, I can return it for a full refund.
They also said they don't expect to get another one, although I do see a handful on the grey market
do it....nothing to lose

enjoy

chgo_risti on IG
fullcourt is offline   Reply With Quote