The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 July 2023, 08:18 AM   #1
Thomas_
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oyster Perpetual
Is the No Date Submariner inferior to the Date?

I am considering a 41mm Submariner to add to my collection and have always been quite fond of the symmetry and lack of date function. I noticed there is a steep price difference between the two (both new and used), $1,150 to be exact. I am not completely opposed to the date function and have heard rumors that the no date model is for people who cannot afford the date function. I am curious if the no date Submariner has the perception of being inferior or "cheaper" to the date model. I know that it is factually the cheapest version of the Submariner but is it seen this way? On a side note, I noticed that the 40 and 41mm version have about a $4,000 price difference between them. Is it worth it to pay a few thousand more for the newer 41mm version?
Thomas_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2023, 08:47 AM   #2
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

The 41mm watches differ significantly from the 40mm: new movement, bigger power reserve, AR coating. They also have a longer clasp. Date or no date, it just comes down to which you prefer. Inferior doesn't come into it. You are paying for the additional complication - if you want it. I prefer a date function.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2023, 08:48 AM   #3
Bmats
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

The date complication just costs more, because it has an extra feature and Rolex can price it more. But one is not superior / inferior to the other. Unless you have to have a date complication, then the date clearly is superior.

Regardless, most of these things are just subjective—get the one you want. I wanted the no date, as I like the way it looks. So I went that direction. If someone thinks their date version is superior, so be it… (Can’t imagine that though)

On the 124060 (41mm) v 114060 (40mm) there are a few things to consider. To me the most important is which one you like the looks of better. I like the 124060, with the more thin lugs and less boxy case. But that (again) is preference. The newer model does have some advantages—longer power reserve, AR coating under the sapphire crystal, and will likely be (if you by used) under the Rolex warranty for longer. I’d say more people like the 124060 over the 114060, but who knows really.
Bmats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2023, 08:51 AM   #4
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
IMHO, quality of both is equal. Pay to buy what you'll be happy with. If you buy just because it costs less or more but don't really like it, then regardless of the price it's poorly spent funds. Personally I prefer the TT Date in blue.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2023, 08:53 AM   #5
TC94
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas_ View Post
I am considering a 41mm Submariner to add to my collection and have always been quite fond of the symmetry and lack of date function. I noticed there is a steep price difference between the two (both new and used), $1,150 to be exact. I am not completely opposed to the date function and have heard rumors that the no date model is for people who cannot afford the date function. I am curious if the no date Submariner has the perception of being inferior or "cheaper" to the date model. I know that it is factually the cheapest version of the Submariner but is it seen this way? On a side note, I noticed that the 40 and 41mm version have about a $4,000 price difference between them. Is it worth it to pay a few thousand more for the newer 41mm version?
I don’t see less than 10% as being a “steep” price difference.

Buy what you want or can afford and don’t worry about how others perceive it.
TC94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2023, 08:55 AM   #6
PepsiBezel
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Neo-Vintage
There is only one Submariner… it’s steel, it’s all black, and it does not have a date complication.
PepsiBezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2023, 09:08 AM   #7
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

No steel Rolex is really any better than any other steel Rolex. You simply pick based on the complications, use case and aesthetics that you desire.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2023, 09:12 AM   #8
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

One has date, the other doesn't. Really is that simple a choice imho as all else is the same.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2023, 09:14 AM   #9
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Had them both, you will always feel like you have something missing, go date. Plus the cyclops is iconic, mind as well get another brand without it.
Old 10 July 2023, 09:14 AM   #10
Horologista
"TRF" Member

Are you cool? Are you a little overweight? Are you an employee?
This video will tell you which sub you can own.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9hBUPmIGNDc
Horologista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2023, 09:16 AM   #11
JRell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horologista View Post

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9hBUPmIGNDc
I saw this before - it is a joke. Had the sub, many datejusts and GMTs. Only the sub date now and it is the way to go. 100% working and not overweight lol.
Old 10 July 2023, 09:29 AM   #12
dannyp
Banned

One could have made that argument back before the standard Sub had COSC certification. But now? Purely a matter of preference.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2023, 09:32 AM   #13
drew0020
"TRF" Member

I hate the way the date looks for all of the Rolex watches. I wish it was an option to remove them - so my answer is clearly Sub no date! Good luck!
drew0020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2023, 09:34 AM   #14
JRell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew0020 View Post
I hate the way the date looks for all of the Rolex watches. I wish it was an option to remove them - so my answer is clearly Sub no date! Good luck!
Man it really is subjective. So boring to me without the cyclops. Had 3 subs before the black sub date, mind as well get an omega. Especially the 12 version, so much wasted space with the huge dial.
Old 10 July 2023, 09:35 AM   #15
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
On the other hand, is the Date Submariner inferior to the No Date Submariner?

I suspect they are both equally made of the same materials with the same manufacturing quality. Thus, neither one is inferior to the other.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2023, 09:43 AM   #16
CarlOver
"TRF" Member

I must be poor. Sometimes I wonder how old people are.
CarlOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2023, 09:45 AM   #17
slide13
"TRF" Member

I owned an 114060 Sub and now have a 126610 Sub Date. No quality difference at all I don’t think, the symmetry of the regular Sub is great…but I do enjoy having a date and the classic Rolex cyclops too.

I was down for either a 126610 or a 124060, when the call came it was for the 126610 and I’m glad it was. I’ve never had a Sub Date until now and I do kinda think of it as THE iconic Rolex model. But, I agree the price increase is steep for what you get. Had I had the choice between the, I’d probably have gone for the 124060 based simply on value for dollar. But again, kinda glad it worked out the way it did and I have a Sub Date.

Now, on the 11xxxx vs 12xxxx thing…I’m solidly in the 12xxxx camp. I sold my 114060 as the look just never was quite right for my taste, seemed very blocky and square on the wrist and I just wasn’t a fan. I absolutely love the new 12xxxx case and bracelet, for my taste it’s absolutely worth the additional cost. But, that is totally a personal preference thing.
slide13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2023, 09:46 AM   #18
dlddrrr
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV, DD, BLNR, ND
When in doubt, get both, that’s what I did.
dlddrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2023, 09:50 AM   #19
WilsdorfNDavis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiBezel View Post
There is only one Submariner… it’s steel, it’s all black, and it does not have a date complication.

Old 10 July 2023, 09:54 AM   #20
DoctorsOrders
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
I use the date on my watch so often there's no way I could get a no-date. So useful.
DoctorsOrders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2023, 09:58 AM   #21
Ketler
"TRF" Member

It simply doesn't get any better than this...

IMG_0109.jpeg
Ketler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2023, 10:02 AM   #22
DLRIDES

Quote:

If you want a no date Submariner, then that is what you should get !

I think the 41mm has better aesthetics and more proportional than the earlier “chunky” model. New from an AD at retail should be possible in your area within a couple months.

Old 10 July 2023, 10:03 AM   #23
DLRIDES

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsibezel View Post
there is only one submariner… it’s steel, it’s all black, and it does not have a date complication.

this
Old 10 July 2023, 10:03 AM   #24
JMGoodnight369
"TRF" Member

Being a submariner super fan I don’t think either is better than the other. It’s whatever tickles your fancy. If you’re a purest then the submariner is your answer. If you like things a little lopsided then get the date. As the others said the price difference is in the complication. I’m also on team 12 series. Having owned 4,5 and newer 6 digit subs the 12 series is superior to the 11 minus the movement (my 124060 has already been serviced for low amplitude). I own both the 12 series Sub and Sub date LV and to my surprise they both offer a different wearing experience. Beyond the colored bezel they offer a different feel as well. The black submariner offers a no frills, get the job done attitude. Whereas the LV is a bit more elevated and dare I say dresser in a way. Anyway you can’t go wrong with either. Unless you need to know the date constantly. Then get the sub date
JMGoodnight369 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2023, 10:08 AM   #25
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
. . . I am not completely opposed to the date function and have heard rumors that the no date model is for people who cannot afford the date function. I am curious if the no date Submariner has the perception of being inferior or "cheaper" to the date model.. . .
Said nobody, ever !!
Old 10 July 2023, 10:21 AM   #26
Thomas_
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oyster Perpetual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horologista View Post

I have seen this video. I am a 20 year old college student so it wasn't quite of much help. Seems like most are a fan of the 12 series and I'll probably try and get one of these. I don't really ever use a date complication (I've got an OP36) but am curious if the cyclops makes the watch more flashy/recognizable?
Thomas_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2023, 10:24 AM   #27
East of Eden
"TRF" Member

I recently bought a 14060M and find I don't miss the date. Once I know the day and date in the morning I don't forget, not like the time that is constantly changing. I presume most of us remember the day without wearing a Rolex Day/Date?
East of Eden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2023, 10:37 AM   #28
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

I think if I was actually going to use the watch for diving, I would get the no date. Who needs to know the date when you are underwater?

However, if I was getting the watch to wear everyday, I would get the date as that is one of the functions I prefer when I am wearing a watch.

I make no judgments about the wearer date vs no date. If I see a no date, I assume more of an adventurer. That being said, if I ever got a Sub, it would probably be the date version.
JLC Reverso Duo Q2714910 SS - Grand Seiko SGBA407 - Baltic Aquascaphe SS
TAG Heuer Formula One - Swatch MoonSwatch Mission to the Moon/Mercury/Jupiter/Neptune
njlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2023, 10:39 AM   #29
jed11
"TRF" Member

No?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2023, 10:42 AM   #30
Kreyzhorse
"TRF" Member

Watch: "05" Air-King
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
one has date, the other doesn't. Really is that simple a choice imho as all else is the same.
+1
Kreyzhorse is offline   Reply With Quote